• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Don't Travel to Florida!

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
There was a double murder at a Resort in Florida. Wonder if State Department will issue a Travel Advisory telling USA Citizens to avoid Florida.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
There was a double murder at a Resort in Florida. Wonder if State Department will issue a Travel Advisory telling USA Citizens to avoid Florida.

Crime can happen anywhere, anytime; including the supposedly "upscale" environment of Longboat Key, FL. I assuming that your post is "tongue in cheek"?
This tragic incident appears to have been a robbery gone bad. A security guard and a hotel occupant were killed and the assailant got a few hundred dollars.

Last edited:

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
In case you missed it, threads like this will be a justifiable reaction to this non story.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds liked your state or country do not have this type of crime.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
There was a double murder at a Resort in Florida.

That's double the recent killings at resorts in Tennessee.*
Is this a trend among Southern resorts?

[*reported as a suicide]

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
If I avoided every place in which a crime has occurred, there wouldn't be anywhere to go. I have so far managed to not be doubly murdered.
Most of us probably couldn't even live in our own towns. :rolleyes:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Where exactly do you think you can go and not have this happen? Surely not Los Cabos in Mexico - they're using machine guns to mow down the tourists there!
Good grief! Do you actually read? Please show me a source where any tourists were "mowed down" in that attack.

Kurt

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I once knew an older couple that would not travel more than two counties from where they lived.
He had always wanted to take his DW to Italy, where he was in WWII. They never went. Sad.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
Good grief! Do you actually read? Please show me a source where any tourists were "mowed down" in that attack.

Kurt
That's really not the point. If you think you can travel ANYWHERE there isn't crime, you should just shudder in your bedroom. Someone needs to read about the murders in any US city before worrying about this. Start with Chicago. 2 murders in Florida? Do you realize how many more murders happened in Florida as well as every other state? This thread is STUPID!

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
That's really not the point. If you think you can travel ANYWHERE there isn't crime, you should just shudder in your bedroom. Someone needs to read about the murders in any US city before worrying about this. Start with Chicago. 2 murders in Florida? Do you realize how many more murders happened in Florida as well as every other state? This thread is STUPID!
Your opinion.

Actually I thought the first post was sarcastic, in response to other posts about travel warnings.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
My Posting was tongue in cheek. Patti and I will not stop traveling to where we want to go. We have a 3 week trip planned for and reserved for San Jose del Cabo in January - February 2018. We will be staying at Royal Solaris, Raintree, and WM Coral Baja.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Ok, I probably took your post the wrong way. I agree with you -- I don't let these isolated incidents scare me away from traveling to the places I want. It's so sad that there are so many people out there that throw logic out the window when they see these sensationalized news reports. I've said it before, but I'll repeat it: there are some people that just shouldn't leave home.

Kurt

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
Ok, I probably took your post the wrong way. I agree with you -- I don't let these isolated incidents scare me away from traveling to the places I want. It's so sad that there are so many people out there that throw logic out the window when they see these sensationalized news reports. I've said it before, but I'll repeat it: there are some people that just shouldn't leave home.

Kurt

Unfortunately, there are people who WON'T leave home because they are afraid of everything they hear on the news. My Dad was a prime example of one who was always afraid of the weather. I felt sorry for my mom who wanted to travel, but couldn't. Long story....

PStreet1

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Lighten up, folks. The OP was, pretty clearly, saying that many people are irrational in their fear of traveling (to Mexico in particular, to other places in general). Recognizing that crime happens everywhere, that people in other countries are warned by their state departments to "beware" in the U.S. --which causes most of us to smile or be indignant--is totally different from planning a family trip to "beautiful Yemen" to investigate other cultures. To potential visitors where the murder rate is much lower than it is in the U.S., we look pretty scary, even though we locals know we're o.k. Some of us, in the U.S., are just as irrational about traveling to Mexico--where the cartels are, indeed, quite active, but people aren't being "mowed down"--or a host of other spots. In Mexico, it is still true that if you have absolutely nothing to do with drugs, you'll be fine--to allay tourist fears, extra police have been stationed in tourist areas, but those in the U.S. who are already fearful, instead of being reassured, decide "they have lots of police so it must be dangerous." Those who are fearful simply aren't going to be dissuaded: they need to continue avoiding what makes them anxious because anxiety does not make for a great vacation. The rest of us are, fortunately, free to continue going to Mexico because it does the opposite of produce stress and anxiety.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sensationalized news and fake news. Has everyone here read the classic, 1984? Well, it's happening before your eyes. Double speak? Political correctness? "The very concept of objective truth is fading out of the world. Lies will pass into history."

Here's the problem: people are consuming it. Just like all of the miserable, violent TV shows. They wouldn't exist if there wasn't a demand for them. That's right a demand.

Here's a piece of mental chewing gum - what we tolerate today, we embrace tomorrow.

If you're afraid of everything you hear and read, stay at home. Trouble with that is you can be offed hiding under the covers of your own bed when a tree falls on it, or a boiler that exploded across the street launches into the air and comes crashing down on your roof and kills you. Yup, that last one actually happened just a few months ago.

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Well, this thread is trending kinda political and I don't want to hop on that bandwagon. I do think the OP was being ironic and agree that staying walled up at home is the only answer for folks who fear death during travel. When I go to NYC I now stay in Chelsea and there was a terrorist bombing a couple years back...but I don't think "what if", because s#@* happens! And so that's what travel insurance is for...buy it, get out and see the wonders of this beautiful world and experience other cultures while you can. With a severely disabled spouse my travel days are dwindling...so I say go while you're healthy, use those timeshares, make memories (and to CYA buy travel insurance, especially if it helps you sleep better!)

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
No I won't shudder in my bedroom, but there are lots of areas of Chicago that I will not step foot in, much less vacation.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
No I won't shudder in my bedroom, but there are lots of areas of Chicago that I will not step foot in, much less vacation.

I grew up in one of those neighborhoods a long time ago. There is such nostalgia over that neighborhood that there is a huge Facebook group devoted to it. There is a group that goes there on Sundays and some weekdays, visit the neighborhood and take pictures for the rest of us to see and reminisce.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
My Posting was tongue in cheek. Patti and I will not stop traveling to where we want to go. We have a 3 week trip planned for and reserved for San Jose del Cabo in January - February 2018. We will be staying at Royal Solaris, Raintree, and WM Coral Baja.

To the OP now go and enjoy the sun & your vacation weeks.