• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

20 Year old Woman Dies at Playa del Carmen Resort

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Abbey Conner, 20, drowned in January while swimming with her brother, Austin Conner, 23, in chest-deep water at the pool in the Iberostar Paraiso Resort.
The hotel told the family that the two were found unconscious and facedown in the pool, according to Bill Conner. Austin Conner suffered a concussion, and Abbey Conner sustained a broken collarbone and was brain dead before succumbing to her injuries in a Florida hospital days later.
Austin Conner said they had been drinking before their swim, and their blood alcohol level was around 0.25
ABC NEWS STORY
The resort said there are no video cameras. Weren't there other guests at the pool?

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
How do you get a concussion in a pool? Trying to do a cannonball way to close to the edge?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
You dive into a shallow pool and hit your head.

Last edited:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
And when you're drunk (0.25% BAC! OMG!), judgement goes right out the window. Sad, but completely preventable.

Kurt

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
He jumped or dove on top of her. Breaking her collarbone and giving him a concussion.
Collision between the 2 of them.
Not saying that's it. But would explain what happened

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
The most likely way to get a consussion in a pool is to dive into water too shallow for the dive. But you could also just bang your head against the pool wall while playing around. It's possible to get a concussion from falling hard onto your tailbone too though that's less likely in a pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
... or maybe they were both murdered... that's from one who just watched a marathon of Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries on Netflix...

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Please all PM me with your details. I'm in need of a forensic human factors injury expert. You all seem to fit the bill.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Abbey Conner, 20, drowned in January while swimming with her brother, Austin Conner, 23, in chest-deep water at the pool in the Iberostar Paraiso Resort.
The hotel told the family that the two were found unconscious and facedown in the pool, according to Bill Conner. Austin Conner suffered a concussion, and Abbey Conner sustained a broken collarbone and was brain dead before succumbing to her injuries in a Florida hospital days later.
Austin Conner said they had been drinking before their swim, and their blood alcohol level was around 0.25
ABC NEWS STORY
The resort said there are no video cameras. Weren't there other guests at the pool?

Swimming or doing anything with a blood alcohol level of .25 is kind of dangerous. In contrast, one tourist accidentally dies in Hawaii every day, mostly from drunken drowning. Im not seeing this as anything nefarious. If you are trying to suggest more American tourists are harmed in Mexico you would be wrong. Hawaii , a small state has the entire country of Mexico beat regarding accidental deaths of Americans.

Bill

Ricci

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Swimming or doing anything with a blood alcohol level of .25 is kind of dangerous. In contrast, one tourist accidentally dies in Hawaii every day, mostly from drunken drowning. Im not seeing this as anything nefarious. If you are trying to suggest more American tourists are harmed in Mexico you would be wrong. Hawaii , a small state has the entire country of Mexico beat regarding accidental deaths of Americans.

Bill

Where are you getting those facts?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Actually, it's an average of one per week from all tourist activities:
Since July 2012, at least 147 visitors — nearly one a week on average — have died in Hawaii from injuries suffered while doing common tourist activities like swimming, snorkeling, hiking and going on scenic drives.

http://www.insideedition.com/headli...wnings-on-the-rise-in-hawaii-tourist-hotspots

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/hawaii-tourist-deaths_us_572d512fe4b096e9f09197c9

http://www.civilbeat.org/2016/01/de...r-visitors-to-hawaii/?cbk=56834b63529f3&cbs=1

Last edited:

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Actually, it's an average of one per week from all tourist activities:

Guess that explains why every-time I am on vacation in Hawaii i see at least one news story about some tourist being seriously hurt or killed.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes - but "1 per day" is an exaggeration by a factor of 7x.

I frequently see visitors in Hawaii who seem to have poor survival instincts.

myoakley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Denise, for posting these links. My husband and I traveled to Hawaii (Oahu and Kauai) a few years ago. We had absolutely no idea of the dangers (rogue waves, strong currents) posed by the waters at the beaches and only learned about them from reading on TUG. Fortunately (!), we are not big into water sports preferring to do our swimming in the pools. I think all tourists should be handed warning brochures while still on the plane en route to Hawaii.

saabman

Reaction score
The bro - sis Cancun story is tragic and the subsequent investigation seems sketchy but Mexico typical. So the girl "at 130 pounds would have to drink about seven shots in one hour to have a level that high." Lets not forget they're on vacation with their parents not other age related companions. Lousy for the parents that no one knows or saw anything.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/news/...ughters-mysterious-drowning-mexico/469647001/

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
The bro - sis Cancun story is tragic and the subsequent investigation seems sketchy but Mexico typical. So the girl "at 130 pounds would have to drink about seven shots in one hour to have a level that high." Lets not forget they're on vacation with their parents not other age related companions. Lousy for the parents that no one knows or saw anything.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/news/...ughters-mysterious-drowning-mexico/469647001/
Not sure where the reporter got those numbers. Per CA DMV, 5 standard shots could lead to that level. The son said they had 5-6 shots, but also that he lacked recollection of the events. They may have been larger or stronger than a standard shot. As much as they drank, it is possible they also drank on the plane, or on the ride to the hotel.

They certainly drank a lot in a short time.

DUI_Image.JPG

Source: CA DMV

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Where are you getting those facts?

The one tourist death rate in the articles about Hawaii only includes tourists that died accidentally. This one tourist a week doesn't include all deaths of tourists in Hawaii and I doubt that that is accurate. The average accidental drowning rate from 2008 - 2012 was 68 a year.

Then add in all of the injuries that tourists suffer each year and it looks like Hawaii is a very dangerous place. Falling is the number one cause of injury in Hawaii.

http://health.hawaii.gov/injuryprev...ing-Conf.-Visitor-Safety-How-are-we-doing.pdf

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The one [per week] tourist death rate in the articles about Hawaii only includes tourists that died accidentally.

Your chart says that 68 died from injuries - not just from drowning - drowning is included in the number 68.

But you said that one tourist dies every day - that's 365 tourists. So if 68 die accidentally, how did the other 297 die???

Screen Shot 2017-07-18 at 5.00.42 PM.png

Last edited:

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Your chart says that 68 died accidentally - not from drowning - drowning is included in the number 68.

But you said that one tourist died every day - that's 365 tourists. So if 68 die accidentally, how did the other 297 die???

View attachment 4332

Old Age ?

None of us live forever .

Tragic Story

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So if 68 die accidentally, how did the other 297 die???

View attachment 4332

Other than accidentally would be any thing other than an accident is my guess. Suicide is very popular in Hawaii. Hawaii is in the top ten states regarding people committing suicide. It was number 1 until recently. Overdose in Hawaii out ranks auto accidents regarding deaths in Hawaii. Many tourists are over 60.

While it is tragic that two young people drank too much and died at a resort it doesn't mean anything nefarious happened. It was bad judgement on the kids and even more so on the parents for letting the kids get wasted, imo.

Bill

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Other than accidentally would be any thing other than an accident is my guess.

Yes, exactly - you are guessing, because your evidence does not support your claims of 365 tourist death a year. There weren't even 365 tourist deaths in 5 years:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-07-18 at 5.29.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-18 at 5.29.52 PM.png
    116.4 KB · Views: 67

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BTW - I am not implying anything nefarious because the original accident occured in Mexico, and I don't think anyone else is either, but it is a rather odd situation.

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
BTW - I am not implying anything nefarious because the original accident occured in Mexico, and I don't think anyone else is either, but it is a rather odd situation.

Nothing odd about it at all. We have vacationed extensively in Mexico at Mazatlán, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Cancun, Riviera Maya etc, and we also lived in Mexico. Drunk tourists are pretty common and I mean falling down drunk especially around the swimming pools. We have seen many get pretty badly hurt. We have not seen the same thing in Hawaii.

Status
Not open for further replies.