• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Want to get rid of Klipsch speakers

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I added a sub as well. I'm more into clarity of reproduction than pounding bass or artificial coloration -- hence planar. I'd be using mine now as well, but they do demand a lot of room, and my wife wasn't a fan of such obtrusive speakers. Mine are white oak with the black cloth. Beautiful speakers.

So now you have the pounding bass?

When recording studios, noteworthy musicians, and concert halls begin using them, perhaps I'll have another listen. Meanwhile, I'll stick with my artificial coloration loudspeakers. ;)

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score

Nope. Full freq response. One of the trade-offs with that comes with the superior imaging of planar is reduced bass response. Sub with tune-able crossover f solves that.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.

Never was a fan of pounding bass but I do like to hear the low strings on a standup acoustic bass. I like the speakers for their very distinct stereo imaging and because they're rather bright. My preference for them may have something to do with my hearing loss from when I was young and stupid and liked to crank up the volume to 11.

Spinal Tap - "These go to eleven...."

:)

PGtime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Waterside by Spinnaker,
Cottages at Shipyard
Wow, never thought anyone had much interest in audio on this blog... But, then again, TUGGERS are always full of surprises. :)

I have been into audio since my college days (early to mid 80's) and still listen to music and movies through them. I agree it is a fast fading hobby and also that for many years the emphasis has been on how loud and how convenient audio can be. Many examples of terrible sounding equipment that sells because of its name, clever marketing or because it is wireless or compact. Certainly not all wireless or compact speakers and gear fits that description, but, to my ears, most seem to.

Klipsch speakers are great for their efficiency and therefore do not need gobs of power to get very loud. As far as selling the Klipsch speakers, I would look at the Audiogon website (https://www.audiogon.com/), as that is where you can ask questions, read the blogs, and even get an appraisal for most mid to high end audio. Your speakers may not sell as fast as on ebay, but you will more than likely get more money for them.

I have always liked the Maggies! I too have put an emphasis on imaging, accuracy, and full range sound reproduction. Personally, I use the Vandersteen Quatros and surrounds but would not be unhappy with planar speakers.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
Wow, never thought anyone had much interest in audio on this blog... But, then again, TUGGERS are always full of surprises. :)

I have been into audio since my college days (early to mid 80's) and still listen to music and movies through them. I agree it is a fast fading hobby and also that for many years the emphasis has been on how loud and how convenient audio can be. Many examples of terrible sounding equipment that sells because of its name, clever marketing or because it is wireless or compact. Certainly not all wireless or compact speakers and gear fits that description, but, to my ears, most seem to.

Klipsch speakers are great for their efficiency and therefore do not need gobs of power to get very loud. As far as selling the Klipsch speakers, I would look at the Audiogon website (https://www.audiogon.com/), as that is where you can ask questions, read the blogs, and even get an appraisal for most mid to high end audio. Your speakers may not sell as fast as on ebay, but you will more than likely get more money for them.

I have always liked the Maggies! I too have put an emphasis on imaging, accuracy, and full range sound reproduction. Personally, I use the Vandersteen Quatros and surrounds but would not be unhappy with planar speakers.

So, if I had a hankering to pick up some semi-vintage gear, (just for music, not movies) what do you like that shows up in a reasonable price range. I've seen pairs of Infinity Kappa series around $500.

I used to love all the audio gear back in the day but the Sonos system sounds good and is so darn convenient I use it most often.

PGtime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Waterside by Spinnaker,
Cottages at Shipyard
So, if I had a hankering to pick up some semi-vintage gear, (just for music, not movies) what do you like that shows up in a reasonable price range. I've seen pairs of Infinity Kappa series around $500.

I used to love all the audio gear back in the day but the Sonos system sounds good and is so darn convenient I use it most often.

Are you asking about picking up some new speakers or other gear?

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
Are you asking about picking up some new speakers or other gear?

Well, some awesome vintage speakers would be a start. I also see vintage receivers that are very cool as well.

I was perusing San Diego Craigslist and there is a guy who calls himself the stereo guy that has a ton of ads for vintage gear and he even has a workshop where he restores things. Of course, I would still be playing digital files through the vintage gear so I'm not sure if I would get the warmth.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Vintage isn't all it's crack'd up to be. Sometimes it sounds vintage, too.

41hGjpl2E9L.jpg

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, some awesome vintage speakers would be a start. I also see vintage receivers that are very cool as well.

I was perusing San Diego Craigslist and there is a guy who calls himself the stereo guy that has a ton of ads for vintage gear and he even has a workshop where he restores things. Of course, I would still be playing digital files through the vintage gear so I'm not sure if I would get the warmth.

I always have a chuckle when I hear this expression, "warmth".

That "warmth" some people refer to when discussing analog media such as record albums is actually noise.

Now, if one enjoys and is used to experiencing sound that incorporates this form of noise, so be it. To each, their own. And, I can understand why some actually not only enjoy it, but prefer it to digital.

But just to be clear - there simply is no way whatsoever that an analog source can even come close to a digital file in sonic quality, when recording methods to create the recording are identical.

SNR and bandwidth of digital is superior, obviously.

PGtime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Waterside by Spinnaker,
Cottages at Shipyard

At the end of the day, what sounds good to you is what is important. Since it sounds like you may have a local place to check out, I would trial whatever offerings the stereo guy has with your own gear, if possible, to determine if you like the sound. The Audiogon website is a great resource to buy (or sell) great gear at substantial savings versus new. I have only bought or sold a couple of items there but most who use it are just folks with an audio interest who seem to take decent care of their gear. There are dealers there too, of course. I believe it requires a monthly or annual subscription to determine "blue book" value of gear. Of course, you can also look on ebay to get some idea of how much gear is worth.

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
I have a pair of older Energy speakers. Tried selling them with an older receiver and found it was easier to either just trash them or re-purpose them. I connected them up to a third TV in the house. Even though we didn't really need it, I didn't want to just toss them or sell them for a few bucks.

Do you know what model? My main set are Mirage FR-Xs, so they were made by the same company (Audio Products International, who were coincidentally purchased by Klipsch). I could maybe use them as rears/presence.

PGtime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Waterside by Spinnaker,
Cottages at Shipyard
Nope. Full freq response. One of the trade-offs with that comes with the superior imaging of planar is reduced bass response. Sub with tune-able crossover f solves that.

Understood. Vandersteen uses an 11 band EQ to tune the bass to the location you put them, understanding that the best position for bass reproduction usually is not the best place to put the speaker for the best imaging. Each of their larger speakers (from the Quatro on up to the model 7) has the EQ as well as built in subwoofers for each of them. Of course, I still have a separate subwoofer for the movies too (the .1 channel in 5.1 or 7.1).

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
This thread rekindles memories of the college bookstore "door buster" sale where I nabbed a brand new Technics SA-800 (125 w/ch) for $100. I still have it boxed up in my closet. Looking on eBay, I see where a couple recently sold -- 1 for $480, the other for $595.

technics_sa800.jpg

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
i love the old tube amp stuff!

also, just food for thought....lots of folks like to upgrade the internals of the klipsch speakers, one guy "bob crites" sells some EXTREMELY pricey items to replace just about everything inside and turn a set into a modern top of the line audiophiles delight!

so even if the components are worn out, they still hold value to many folks who like to do these upgrades!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
well...thats a bit much.