• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Cancelling Mexican vacation club membership?!

slakad

Reaction score
**Edited - admin note: the OP has reached an agreement with the club that provides him a refund but requires him to delete his post/warning about his sales experience so it has been removed per the request of the OP to obtain his/her refund.

Last edited by a moderator:

slakad

Reaction score
**Edited - admin note: the OP has reached an agreement with the club that provides him a refund but requires him to delete his post/warning about his sales experience so it has been removed per the request of the OP to obtain his/her refund.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
being so long out of your rescission period, you have few if any good options.

id contact them to explain that you wish to discontinue your membership, they of course are under no obligation to oblige so its up to you to convince them. I doubt you have much hope of getting any deposit or monies paid back unfortunately, but anything is possible!

lastly it sounds like you are European...so if they are unwilling to provide any sort of acceptable cancellation strategy...you could always just stop paying and the membership would likely discontinue on its own.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If I were in your shoes, I think I'd research what possible recourse there is for non-payment of debt. I suspect little or none. In the US, they can turn our credit over to national credit reporting companies, but I have no clue if such exists in Great Britain. Then I'd simply write and tell them I was not paying another penny. Ever. And they can do what they will. You'll lose whatever you've already paid, but if you kept paying and paid it off, you'd never see any of that either and Mexican timeshares have no resale value anyway. You may have to change credit card issuers or even banks- depending on what means they may have to access your funds, but that's what I'd do.

We wish you well.

Jim

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any ideas of what to do now? HELPPPPP :(

Sorry to hear of your plight. Sadly, this is a common occurrence we hear of a lot here on TUG. But to answer you question about what to do now, the above posters have given you some good advice. I will just advise you (like we try to advise many others who are in a similar situation) what not to do.

Do not go seeking the "help" of some law firm, or firm that supposedly specializes in timeshare relief, rescue, exit, liberation, etc. And do not fall for any of the scam phone calls you might receive claiming they have buyers for your vacation membership club who will pay mounds of cash to buy or rent your timeshare. Those upfront fee companies are usually, if not always, scams.

slakad

Reaction score
Hi guys, thanks for your replies, so i rang and complained about all the lies we had been told and its not at all how it was sold to us.

They have came back and offered us cancellation of our membership and saying they will give us back 35% of what we have paid so far. which is about £1200 as we have paid around £3500, but we have also paid an all inclusive fee for our next holiday we have booked of around £1000, so we will still be way out of pocket, any suggestions on what to do next? i was thinking to further complain and obviously say 35% of what we paid returned to us is unacceptable as we have been sold everything on lies, but dont really know what else i can say to enforce that...

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi guys, thanks for your replies, so i rang and complained about all the lies we had been told and its not at all how it was sold to us.

They have came back and offered us cancellation of our membership and saying they will give us back 35% of what we have paid so far. which is about £1200 as we have paid around £3500, but we have also paid an all inclusive fee for our next holiday we have booked of around £1000, so we will still be way out of pocket, any suggestions on what to do next? i was thinking to further complain and obviously say 35% of what we paid returned to us is unacceptable as we have been sold everything on lies, but dont really know what else i can say to enforce that...
everything is a negotiation...but im actually surprised they have offered you a refund of monies paid!

slakad

Reaction score
everything is a negotiation...but im actually surprised they have offered you a refund of monies paid!
Yeah true, i have emailed them back saying its unacceptable and they need to provide a bigger refund as they are basically charing me over £2000 for nothing as i havent even used it yet.

Lets see what they come back with.

slakad

Reaction score
so they offered me 65% back, which i still said is too low, so i went back and said i haven't received anything from you and you are trying to charge me 35% of $4000+ which is unnacceptable and they said about charges they had paid to RCI and ICE etc, so i said well i was sold this package on a lie so if your sales didnt lie then you wouldnt have had to pay them and i wouldnt be out of pocket, i am awaiting their reply on 85% refund, fingers crossed!

slakad

Reaction score
Hi Guys, Just to update you, i have had an offer of 85% plus they will honor the holiday i have already booked and paid for, i mean i say 'honor' they have no choice really as they would have to pay me back if they didnt, but they said that i will be treated like a member and receive all the perks. email below.

Good morning!!

Mr. [name redacted] authorized the reimbursement of 85%, which is US$3,674.93 and you still get to take you vacation in [resort redacted].

Please send your account information so I can send you the release letter and request the reimbursement.

The information we need is:

ACCOUNT #

NEME ON THE ACCOUNT:

BANK NAME:

BANCK LOCATION (BRANCH):

SWIFT:

Best Regards,

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
That sounds borderline too good to be true to me. If that's a real offer you should definitely take it.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
wow, agree that sounds like a "too good to be true" offer...can they just send you a reimbursement check instead?

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
...i have had an offer of 85% plus they will honor the holiday i have already booked and paid for, i mean i say 'honor' they have no choice really as they would have to pay me back if they didnt, but they said that i will be treated like a member and receive all the perks.

Forgive me for being dubious about this alleged "offer", but the fact of the matter is that it is virtually unheard for any Mexican timeshare related entity to ever issue any monetary refund (either in whole or in part) in response to attempted contract cancellation after the Mexican rescission period (5 days) has passed. It's very difficult for me to comprehend (or believe, frankly) how / why you might somehow possibly be an extremely rare "one in a million" exception. :shrug:

I certainly wish you luck and success, but color me very dubious until the fruits of this alleged "reimbursement" offer take up solid residence in your bank account, with funds actually "cleared" (and still there) a month or so later. Personally, I think that something here exudes a faint but decidedly foul aroma. :ponder:

Last edited:

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
Hi Guys, Just to update you, i have had an offer of 85% plus they will honor the holiday i have already booked and paid for, i mean i say 'honor' they have no choice really as they would have to pay me back if they didnt, but they said that i will be treated like a member and receive all the perks. email below.

Good morning!!

Mr. [name redacted authorized the reimbursement of 85%, which is US$3,674.93 and you still get to take you vacation in [resort redacted].

Please send your account information so I can send you the release letter and request the reimbursement.

ACCOUNT #

NEME ON THE ACCOUNT:

BANK NAME:

BANCK LOCATION (BRANCH):

SWIFT:

Best Regards,

I would take the extra precaution of opening a separate bank account and only send them that information. The reputation of Mexican timeshare sales is such that I would not be comfortable giving them my personal bank account information.

Sue

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would take the extra precaution of opening a separate bank account and only send them that information. The reputation of Mexican timeshare sales is such that I would not be comfortable giving them my personal bank account information.

Now there is a very polite understatement :D.
Very good idea and suggestion. :thumbup:
I'm intrigued --- and very dubious --- regarding this "reimbursement offer".

Last edited:

Tuzo

Reaction score
Forgive me for being dubious about this alleged "offer", but the fact of the matter is that it is virtually unheard for any Mexican timeshare related entity to ever issue any monetary refund (either in whole or in part) in response to attempted contract cancellation after the Mexican rescission period (5 days) has passed. It's very difficult for me to comprehend (or believe, frankly) how / why you might somehow possibly be an extremely rare "one in a million" exception. :shrug:

I certainly wish you luck and success, but color me very dubious until the fruits of this alleged "reimbursement" offer take up solid residence in your bank account, with funds actually "cleared" (and still there) a month or so later. Personally, I think that something here exudes a faint but decidedly foul aroma. :ponder:
And I don't think you should be giving away your account number. We were paid back on the credit card that was used. OCV had that information already.

Tuzo

Reaction score

Good morning!!

Mr. [name redacted] authorized the reimbursement of 85%, which is US$3,674.93 and you still get to take you vacation in [resort redacted].

ACCOUNT #

NEME ON THE ACCOUNT:

BANK NAME:

BANCK LOCATION (BRANCH):

SWIFT:

Best Regards,
Did your email come by official [resort] email or did it come by hotmail or some personal email? I was refunded back onto the credit card we used (I put 50% down payment). At first, [the resort] sent an email from a personal email account. In my lawyer's letter, he told them only to contact me through their official email [email address redacted].

Tuzo

Reaction score
Did your email come by official [resort] email or did it come by hotmail or some personal email? I was refunded back onto the credit card we used (I put 50% down payment). At first, [the resort] sent an email from a personal email account. In my lawyer's letter, he told them only to contact me through their official email [email address redacted].
I was reimbursed within the 10 days, as stated in the contract.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was reimbursed within the 10 days, as stated in the contract.

Apples and oranges? Rescission period in Mexico is 5 days, long passed in the OP situation (by 6+ months). Refund receipt after your particular rescission was presumably initiated within applicable law deadline, which would seem to be a very different situation than the one in which the OP is currently involved. :shrug:

Last edited:

Tuzo

Reaction score
Apples vs. oranges? The rescission period in Mexico is 5 days, long passed in the OP situation (by 6+ months). Refund receipt after your particular rescission was presumably initiated within applicable law deadline would seem to be a a very different situation than the one in which the OP is currently involved. :shrug:
Yes, different, and I agree that if OP is offered any amount back, and having the contract cancelled without paying anything further or the entire full amount before cancelling, would be getting a good deal as it states in the legally binding contract that you must do this. For a few brief hours I bought into the [resort name redacted] dream. Then I rescinded. Lesson learned. Luckily just a small financial hit for this lesson.