• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Help - Pacific Shores trying to force owners into sale

kaboom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any experiences from other US or Canadian resorts that could not manage the maintenance increases?

I would start with reducing expenses . .. housekeeping seems way over the top and the amenities fee seem unusual as well. Just just go through every line item and see where and why the checks are being written, and for what. In the end, special assessments will probably be required depending on what is required and and what savings are brought to the table.

Last edited:

Seenitall

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Shores, Nanoose BC Canada
Disagree.
We are paying $800 per day for use of a pool which we do not own. That's covered under Amenities.
This resort was built on its location. If people need a swimming pool, let them pay for it in a user fee. PSOE cannot afford to supplement other people's vacations anymore.
We've paid $1.5 million over 4 years for this Very Unnecessary item.

Seenitall

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
96% in favour of selling.

SheilaB

TUG Member
Reaction score
96% in favour of selling.
That is really surprising! We could not go to the meeting, so would be very interested to hear whether there was discussion at the meeting along the lines of what posters have mentioned here - i.e., that the actual costs to refurbish and maintain the resort would likely be nowhere as high as the numbers being bandied about. I also feel, as was suggested, that if we were going to sell, that we would do much better to sell the units on their own, separate from the amenities building.

Seenitall

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All that was mentioned. Most people did not care to hear it. The Owners are an aging group whose children, for the most part, do not want the burden of owning a time-share. Those wishing to sell over the last few years had difficulty doing so. I think this was seen as a convenient exit strategy for many people. It could also be an industry wide phenomenon. A generation bought 30 years ago; the new generation don't like the concept and prefer to just Airbnb their vacations. I can see it myself. I wanted people to see all sides of this deal so they could make an informed decision. At the end of the (3 hrs +) day, the people spoke. There were almost 1000 people in attendance; so a good crowd. I think PSOE said they had 1600 proxies (yes votes) before the meeting so it was over before it started. Actual score something like 2400 to 90 (lol).

gypsygirl1

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've never heard of a situation like this before! I have had timeshares do refurbishing and we paid a slight increase in fees. Before buying any timeshares in the future, I would sure take the time, whether the sales person liked it or not, and read every detail in the contract. Unfortunately, with the high pressure sales tactics and the "this is your only chance for this deal" talk, it's hard to read all the fine print. I did manage to do that once while still in the 3 day change your mind opportunity, and wound up cancelling the purchase. Time shares can be nice, and I still use two of mine because they have always been up front about everything, right from the start, and have kept fee increases, even through refurbishing, to small amounts. With my third timeshare, I am now in the process of deeding it back to them for a small fee. They were horrid. And now, I too use Airbnb and VRBO and get great deals all over the world.

Seenitall

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I can see this place getting a complete make over and a new generation of buyers being sought. It'll be interesting to see if the new generation go for a similar deal. I'm sure the promises will be the same. I think a more honest approach would be 'you have a 25 or 30 year lease on this place' as opposed to deed/title in perpetuity. Whatever happens on land, the beach will remain a fantastic draw to people.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
I've never heard of a situation like this before! I have had timeshares do refurbishing and we paid a slight increase in fees. Before buying any timeshares in the future, I would sure take the time, whether the sales person liked it or not, and read every detail in the contract. Unfortunately, with the high pressure sales tactics and the "this is your only chance for this deal" talk, it's hard to read all the fine print. I did manage to do that once while still in the 3 day change your mind opportunity, and wound up cancelling the purchase. Time shares can be nice, and I still use two of mine because they have always been up front about everything, right from the start, and have kept fee increases, even through refurbishing, to small amounts. With my third timeshare, I am now in the process of deeding it back to them for a small fee. They were horrid. And now, I too use Airbnb and VRBO and get great deals all over the world.

That is good advice, but I don't see how this advice would have prevented this situation. It's a situation a number of resorts are in. Aging customer base wanting to get out from the burden of fees, owners giving away their interest for nothing, and a smaller group of owners who still enjoy using the resorts - but dont want to invest more to replace owners wanting to leave.

As you imply - it is the downside to timeshare ownership - but I think it is a very natural life-cycle unless the resort has a viable strategy for replacing owners who want out.

barto

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update on the meeting. I personally wish it had gone the other way (96% voting "No" to selling), but I'm not an owner - just loved the property (one stay last June) and would have loved to see it continue as an option for exchanging or even buying into.

Good luck to all with the process!