• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St John [Master Thread] - Part 2 (June 2014 and forward)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting the room pics David!

I love the 2 beds in the second bedroom (travel with 2 little kids, everyone gets a bed, no kicking each other), but can't believe that kitchen facility is a 2 bedroom unit. Very similar to the kitchen in the studio side in Hawaii/Lagunamar.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV

Markus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WLR, WKV, WDW
Just curious, do you think the property tax is determined by what season is owned?
It certainly is, becaused it is based on the assessed value. The Platinum Plus weeks have a higher assessed value. I had an annual 3 bed pool villa in Platinum season and the taxes were $177 a year. The taxes on my annual Platinum Plus 3 bed pool villa are close to $300 a year.

Markus

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Very helpful photos, David!

Maybe off topic from St John, but how's retirement going? I hope you haven't looked back!

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Very helpful photos, David!

Maybe off topic from St John, but how's retirement going? I hope you haven't looked back!

Retirement is fantastic - thanks for asking.
I will post more WSJ/STJ stuff now that we are home. I was trying to stay as unconnected as possible this trip.

We really love St John - we need to extend our time there. It is so beautiful and relaxing.

Is it still called 'vacation' when you are retired? ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Hawksnest Beach (Pano) - that is Gibney (Oppenheimer) beach on right.
I am reading the biography on Oppenheimer (American Prometheus) right now - fascinating story.

715d8b7e9f447990b5bb40aed81a1f1a.jpg

4dafba84d669a4f33ed79dc8e5ee04ba.jpg

7150b56eafd58aa0bf97fbd5dfd51848.jpg

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I have a thing for time-lapse.
Goes with the view from balconies thread. Will link.

View from #3410 - June 16. Wish I had done it the following evening. Need to bring more micro-SD cards.

Sorry - my YouTube account settings were changed - will try and fix.

Works on TapaTalk, but not on website (meaning having to be redirected to YouTube on website, but shows in real time on TapaTalk). Hmmm... YouTube issue or website/browser? @TUGBrian

Last edited:

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
New question there are recent reports some owners at Bluebeards Castle didn't get their 2016 property tax bill, so now the 2017 is showing up and there is a late fee of 25+% on it. Is this happened to other VI timeshare resort owners at that anyone knows??

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Just curious, do you think the property tax is determined by what season is owned?

Yes it is . It is based on the valuation on the villa/week. High season weeks have a higher valuation than low season weeks.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
July 2017

Dear Fellow Virgin Grand Villas Owner:

As your owner-elected representatives on our condominium association’s Board of Directors, we recently participated in a conference call meeting of the Board. This is our report from that meeting.

TWENTY YEAR ANNIVERSARY

It has been 20 years since the property became a Westin resort. Management recently recognized 35 employees who have been working at the resort for that entire period of time. We think the fact that so many employees have remained reflects well on the state of employer-employee relations at the resort.

RESORT UPDATE

Sam Hugli, who has replaced Mike Ryan as General Manager of the resort, provided the following update: construction of the final timeshare units (in Sunset Bay) will be completed during October. Trees have been trimmed to provide better views from the hillside balconies. New chaises for the beach will be arriving soon, and new furniture for the hillside balconies is expected to arrive by the end of July. Soft goods and some hard goods have been renovated in all of the pool villas (either this year or last year, depending on the building), all A/C units have been upgraded, and new pool and patio furniture is expected in July. Management continues to seek sufficiently sturdy towel racks to be placed on the decks of the pool villas. The television at Snorkels has been installed; it is turned on only for afternoon sports events. There is now a once-a-week (Tuesday) farmer’s market at the resort.

ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT FEE

As you know from our last report, the Virgin Islands legislature recently imposed a $25 per night “environmental impact fee” on residence in a timeshare property. The fee is collected upon checkout and then remitted to the government. American Resort Development Association - Resort Owners’ Coalition (“ARDA-ROC”), the timeshare owners’ representative arm of ARDA which is a trade association for timeshare developers, recently filed a lawsuit in federal court challenging the legality of this fee, and a local association has filed a similar suit in the territorial court. Unfortunately, while the case winds through the courts there is no alternative but to pay the fee at this time.

Click here to view the ARDA-ROC complaint as filed in federal court.

RESORT COMMITTEE

Three of the four condominium associations at the Westin St. John now have owner representatives on their Boards with the fourth expected to have owner representatives in 2018. Each association Board will appoint one owner representative to a resort committee to discuss with management any budgetary or owner-use issues involving the common areas such as the recreational facilities and roadways or other matters of concern to all of the associations. Bob Werbel, one of your undersigned owner-elected directors, has agreed to represent our association on this committee until the next annual meeting, and Philip Schrag, your other owner-elected director, will represent our association for the year following.

DIAMOND LANE

In new reservation confirmations as of May 1, 2017 and all pre-arrival confirmations sent 30 days prior to travel, you will find a link to the Diamond Lane which you can use to notify the resort of your arrival plans, the names of your guests, and whether you are going to use the Westin ferry or the public ferry. This will speed check-in and allow the resort to prepare accordingly. It will not allow your guests to check in or use the Westin ferry before you arrive, however. See below for the procedure if your guests may arrive before you do.

To access Diamond Lane log into vistana.com and from your owner dashboard, place your cursor over the Destinations tab at the top to access the pull-down menu and click on The Westin St. John Resort Villas, then click on the Diamond Lane link in the upper-left section of the page. You can then fill out the Diamond Lane Pre-Arrival Form and submit it online. The Diamond Lane Form must be submitted at least 7 days prior to your scheduled arrival date.

AIRPORT CHECK-IN

Whether or not you are using the Westin ferry, if your villa is clean and ready for occupancy, you can now check in at the St. Thomas airport, provide your credit card and identification, and get your villa keys.

FORECLOSURES

Owners of eight percent of the unit weeks have not paid their maintenance fee, about the same as last year, and those owners have been denied use of their villas. We continue to institute foreclosure actions against owners delinquent in the payment of their maintenance fees. If you have not paid your maintenance fee, please do so at once; otherwise, you will be locked out and the rest of the owners have to pick up the costs, most of which are fixed. In addition, you could become a defendant in an expensive foreclosure action. In fact, our Board has just authorized our attorney to begin another raft of foreclosures against owners who have not paid their maintenance fee.

NEXT BARGAIN SALE

At the end of foreclosure proceedings, the association acquires the foreclosed unit week. As a result, we now own 27 unit weeks that we are going to offer for sale to owners at bargain-basement prices, as we have done twice before. Watch your email for a notice of this opportunity to buy one or more unit weeks at a price far below what comparable unit weeks would cost from the developer or from after-market realtors.

WEEK 53

Currently, nineteen Virgin Grand owners own both Week 52 and Week 1. Every five to seven years (and not until 2021 for a Friday check in), those weeks are separated by a “Week 53,” which are owned by the Developer. To prevent a discontinuity for those owners, management will reach out to affected owners 13 months in advance and ask whether they would like to use Week 53 instead of their Week 52. This will provide those owners with the opportunity to avoid a one week gap in the use of their villa by electing to use Week 53 before any other owners have the opportunity to exchange into that week.

GUESTS WHO ARRIVE BEFORE OWNERS

If guests will be arriving prior to the Owner, the Owner must telephone Owner Services to change the reservation into the guest name. The applicable Third Party Guest Fee will apply only if it is a VSN reservation. Owner Services is open Monday – Friday, 9am – 9pm and Saturday & Sunday, 9am – 6pm Eastern Time. If you are unexpectedly delayed (e.g., by a snowstorm or flight delay) and Owner Services is closed, you must call the resort front desk with the name of your guests, even though you have submitted a Diamond Lane Form. Your guests will be required to present a credit card at check-in and will be charged the nightly rate plus applicable taxes. When the Owner arrives and checks in, the Owner must then request the resort front desk to change the reservation back into their name. The guest will receive a refund for the nightly rental and taxes, and the Owner will be assessed the $25 per day Environmental Impact Fee at check-out.

DATE OF NEXT ANNUAL MEETING
The next annual meeting of the association will be held at the resort on the morning of March 5, 2018.

Sincerely,

Philip G. Schrag
Robert H. Werbel

I like this part!! :banana:

AIRPORT CHECK-IN

Whether or not you are using the Westin ferry, if your villa is clean and ready for occupancy, you can now check in at the St. Thomas airport, provide your credit card and identification, and get your villa keys.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I like the new checkin ability - we had a >45min wait (3rd in line...). I had a chance to see concierge to pick up discount cards, get incentive, etc. - and still had to wait. Then, some entitled guy steps in front of me with 'just a question' - that wasn't just a question (he wasn't happy with his CV villa...) After 15 hr of travel - and everyone waiting - needless to say - I stopped that crap immediately. We have a fix-fix... shouldn't be so hard. Took me ~2 min to checkin.

8% in delinquency!
and now with that BS 'Environmental Fee' - my worry (prediction) is that low season studios will drop out at a higher rate. This is an unfair 'fee' that it punishes a lower occupancy villas over high occupancy villas based on environmental impact. I can not believe that this unbalance would be upheld in court - regardless of the overall inherent unfairness of this fee (punishes TS Owners who already pay property taxes that are suppose to cover environmental impact). Total money grab - what else is new?

Problem is in the medium term - owners will bail - I already heard rumblings from owners.
This $175/week fee is more than 2x our property tax... arg

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wow :clap: I read that ARDA complaint. Very well pled and the first time I have EVER seen the ARDA take it to the mat for the actual timeshare owner. :cheer:. I will be watching for the ultimate outcome. Things in Federal court sometimes move very slowly so this may take years.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Wow :clap: I read that ARDA complaint. Very well pled and the first time I have EVER seen the ARDA take it to the mat for the actual timeshare owner. :cheer:. I will be watching for the ultimate outcome. Things in Federal court sometimes move very slowly so this may take years.

I would have liked VSE/ILG and Marriott also get involved. They have a lot of skin in the game. Why just ARDA?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I would have liked VSE/ILG and Marriott also get involved. They have a lot of skin in the game. Why just ARDA?

ARDA represents the developers and the developers pay money to ARDA to lobby on their behalf.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
ARDA represents the developers and the developers pay money to ARDA to lobby on their behalf.

I realize...
but this is not lobbying - it is a court case.
Nothing stops Marriott or ILG from filing an injunction to halt this fee and overturn it.
I have little faith in ARDA.

Are you subject to this fee?

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I realize...
but this is not lobbying - it is a court case.
Nothing stops Marriott or ILG from filing an injunction to halt this fee and overturn it.
I have little faith in ARDA.

Can they not file amicus briefs in support?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I will be when the time comes that we get to go to the USVI. I actually think it would be up to the HOAs to get involved as well, not just the developers.

ekinggill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can anyone who has visited recently give an update on the car ferry situation?

applekor

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ-VG (3 bd pool phase 1 and phase 3),WSJ-BV (3bd, 2bd loft),WKV,VBC
Can anyone who has visited recently give an update on the car ferry situation?
No issues, all are running which means there is a barge every half hour. We are back to buying one way ticket however. They don't honor each others round trip ticket.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
No issues, all are running which means there is a barge every half hour. We are back to buying one way ticket however. They don't honor each others round trip ticket.

We still get $50RT fare (vs $70 for 2 OW fare) - their times of departure are posted (and accurate) - they are only ~30 mins apart when the other car barge is running (it was in June).
So just make sure you get on correct one.

tammymacb

TUG Member
Reaction score
David, any word when the next bargain sale will happen? I keep considering buying week 28 so I'd like to see what's available when it comes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.