• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Orleans city permit to rent?

jules54

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been renting reservations on airbnb and vrbo since the fall of 2016. VRBO actually solicited me to rent my timeshare reservations. I thought VRBO only took full time ownership, but that has changed.
Here is the problem. In the spring I started to get notification from Airbnb that I had to get a permit from the city to rent my properties. Of course the forms are all for full time ownership properties. I contacted Airbnb and got no help. Airbnb did send me the link for the city government site. I email the man in charge and explained my situation of both properties being Wyndham Timeshares. With a few back and forth emails with him contacting legal. He told me I had to get some type of confirmation from Wyndham that I own contracts and have the right to rent my points.
Does anyone have any suggestions what department in Wyndham I would even call to figure this out?
I understand this is about revenue for New Orleans, but isn't Wyndham paying all the taxes on the resorts. BTW I do pay extra taxes through the rental site for sales tax.
Anyone else ran into this problem?

Thanks for any useful information or help.

nicemann

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been renting reservations on airbnb and vrbo since the fall of 2016. VRBO actually solicited me to rent my timeshare reservations. I thought VRBO only took full time ownership, but that has changed.
Here is the problem. In the spring I started to get notification from Airbnb that I had to get a permit from the city to rent my properties. Of course the forms are all for full time ownership properties. I contacted Airbnb and got no help. Airbnb did send me the link for the city government site. I email the man in charge and explained my situation of both properties being Wyndham Timeshares. With a few back and forth emails with him contacting legal. He told me I had to get some type of confirmation from Wyndham that I own contracts and have the right to rent my points.
Does anyone have any suggestions what department in Wyndham I would even call to figure this out?
I understand this is about revenue for New Orleans, but isn't Wyndham paying all the taxes on the resorts. BTW I do pay extra taxes through the rental site for sales tax.
Anyone else ran into this problem?

Thanks for any useful information or help.

Ron would probably be your best resource. I am sure he use to be the biggest renter at those properties in the past.

jules54

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes I'm hoping Ron will read and respond. I'm familiar with the amount of rentals he does in New Orleans. I know lots of folks only use craigslist for there rentals, but there is so much more exposure with the marketing websites. Might not make a difference with the new screwed up website I can't seem to find any availability anyway lol.

taffy19

Reaction score
Maui or even all Hawaiian islands require these permits too from a timeshare owner now and then have to fill out these forms during tax time. The paperwork alone may cost them more than what they are receiving. Bureaucracy at work! I can see it when you are in the rental business but not when you rent a week out sporadically.

I am positive that more counties will follow in other States too after one started it.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I knew New Orleans has some sort of permit program for rentals but I never learned the details, You know more than I do

spackler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Quarter House, Jean Lafitte House, Bali Hai
Yep, you need to get an annual permit now, even if you just own one interval & want to rent it out to one person. I think it's $150.

Not entirely sure how a points system would work on their permit structure.

EDIT: Actually, you'd need a permit PER INTERVAL as they're considered separate properties.

Last edited:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I never used Airbnb or VRBO so I didn’t have to face their rules

I know New Orleans has a permit program but I never learned what was required. I simply assumed that Wyndham had such a permit for the building

If things are as spackler says and a $150 permit is required per interval I’d get just one and show that to Airbnb

Obviously if you have just one interval to rent it wouldn’t be cost effective.

I’d do what I did and just use Craig’s list. That worked fine for the event weeks I concentrated on

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
People renting timeshares though Wyndham Like programs may want to contact New Orleans via one of the methods on their site. I am not sure it covers timeshares.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Extra holidays has a license at Avenue plaza

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
This should probably be in the Central States Timesharing forum.

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Then some of us would not have seen it.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Then some of us would not have seen it.[/QUOTE

So, think of all the people who hang out in the Central States forum who won't see it because it is the Wyndham forum. If people have no interest in any place in the Central States, it doesn't matter if they don't see it.

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
Yep, you need to get an annual permit now, even if you just own one interval & want to rent it out to one person. I think it's $150.

Not entirely sure how a points system would work on their permit structure.

EDIT: Actually, you'd need a permit PER INTERVAL as they're considered separate properties.

I just received my Fall newsletter and maintenance fee bill for Quarter House, and the specifically mention the permit in the newsletter. They state that it is for rentals on AirBnB, VRBO, etc (and make no mention of needing it if you are renting your week through them), and state that it is approximately $500.

This should probably be in the Central States Timesharing forum.

I'm sure it will be moved there in due course.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
The bigger outfits are obviously required to comply. I am not so sure that private personal rentals are or at least not enforced. For example they don’t even charge tax to owner guests or owner renters. They don’t know which is which. They do charge tax on in-house rentals.

Railman83

TUG Member
Reaction score
The bigger outfits are obviously required to comply. I am not so sure that private personal rentals are or at least not enforced. For example they don’t even charge tax to owner guests or owner renters. They don’t know which is which. They do charge tax on in-house rentals.
Anyone figure this out for certain?

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone figure this out for certain?

Technically everyone is likely supposed to comply, but does everyone want to and will they? This is similar to an individual person being required to submit sales tax to the State of Florida if they did not pay it to a seller. Nobody actually does it even though they are required to and Florida is not chasing down individuals for sales tax worth peanuts.

There is no way for an enforcer to know whether a guest is there free of charge or it was an arms length rental.

Hopefully there is an exception in there for one off rentals because the amount of the permit is ridiculous and borders on extortion. I won't be getting a permit and if I was forced to I would not rent out anything in New Orleans. I generally rent out a couple a year for no profit.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
The language in the Quarter House newsletter indicates that self rentals and QH in-house rentals are not subject to the permit. Perhaps because it already operates as a hotel they are not subject to the permit.

spackler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Quarter House, Jean Lafitte House, Bali Hai
The language in the Quarter House newsletter indicates that self rentals and QH in-house rentals are not subject to the permit.

I called & verified that the in-house rentals aren't subject to the permit. The lady specifically called out AirBnB rentals, however, as one area you need to be in compliance, as AirBnB shares info with the NOLA authorities.

The permit system makes sense, I guess, if you own a home/apartment for the express purpose of running a rental business, but needing a permit to rent out your interval to cover your MFs seems absurd. I can't imagine NOLA looking at these instances as an enforcement priority.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I called & verified that the in-house rentals aren't subject to the permit. The lady specifically called out AirBnB rentals, however, as one area you need to be in compliance, as AirBnB shares info with the NOLA authorities.

The permit system makes sense, I guess, if you own a home/apartment for the express purpose of running a rental business, but needing a permit to rent out your interval to cover your MFs seems absurd. I can't imagine NOLA looking at these instances as an enforcement priority.

I agree it is nuts. The smaller 1BR units only have a fee of $519 and that includes property tax. A $500 permit to rent out a room worth $500 doesn't even seem legal. Is the permit a one time fee or does it expire?