• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Grand Islander Reviews

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Yes, they are really bad views.

Based on the Point Chart and Floor Plan GregT received back in 2014 (see link below), it looks like some of these rooms fall under either "Resort view" or "Partial Ocean view".
NOTE: Resort View is the lowest point room in this tower.
http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?attachments/gi_point_chart_and_floor_plans-pdf.1889/

The Grand Islander was cramped between the Tapa Tower Conference Center on the West side (Ala Moana side) and the Diamond Head Apartments & Diamond Head Tower on the East side (see map below). As a result some of the rooms on the lower level are right up against these structures (see photos below).

34845821411_aa10ae6fe5.jpg

They were working on this tower last time we stayed at HHV, so i know right were this located. The rooms look great on the inside, and the view from the top look nice as well. Think you just need to be very carefully when booking to understand what your reserving.

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Sanibel Cottages (Affiliate)
Marriott Ko ‘Olina
That's very good that you were able to follow that thread. You're in the advance class ;)
The AC prices are great so don't rule out a possible stayvaction/long weekend getaway. :cool:

Here's a link on what I learned about exchanges over the years via TUG. It's not specific to HGVC. It works the same way regardless of which timeshare I use for an exchange - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1702883&postcount=4

I believe all II members have the option of either request first or deposit first - https://www.intervalworld.com/web/my/info/benefits/exchange

I also suggest getting familiar on what II has to offer for your current week by searching online (not depositing or setting up an ongoing request). Just select Vacation exchange and put a bogus confirmation number if it requires one and to get familiar with online availability. And just see if you can view the same weeks posted on the Sightings forum. Just don't go pass the page where is it asks you for credit card information. Feel free to PM me if you have questions.
NOTE: High demand weeks may be grabbed within minutes of a sighting.

Yes, Interval International has setup a priority booking period for sister resorts for some developers such as Marriott, Vistana (aka Starwood) & Four Seasons Residence Club. The gives these owners first access to weeks within their family of resorts before it becomes available to the general II public. As a result, high demand resorts and/or period travel periods are generally booked by these owners during their priority preference window leaving a mostly off season weeks for the general public except in over built timeshare areas such as Orlando and Vegas.

In the past, all Marriott members had to use II for internal Marriott trades. When Marriott launched their destination point system, they finally built a reservation system that supports internal trades. As a result, it's not clear how II exchange availability might be impacted in the future. It's discussed regularly on the Marriott forum
Since Hawaii timeshares generally have much higher maintenance fees, most Tuggers will only buy if they intend to primarily using it for Home resort stays. Which resort to buy is another common topic of discussion. It really depends on where and when you want to go. Some locations are tough to exchange into than others especially when the kids are out of school (spring/summer/winter breaks and school holidays). Some owners prefer to rent their high demand week than exchange it. Some examples of tough internal II exchanges are Marriott's Hawaii, Newport, Hilton Head, and Myrtle Beach resorts in the summer months.

I took another look at my AC in II again to see the various destinations offered and travel periods available. I have a question about the use of the AC. If I find something we are interested in, there is an orange Exchange button I need to click on. By clicking on this button, does this mean I am agreeing to deposit my week or will be required to deposit my week to confirm the exchange. I guess I am wondering what happens after you click the orange button?

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I took another look at my AC in II again to see the various destinations offered and travel periods available. I have a question about the use of the AC. If I find something we are interested in, there is an orange Exchange button I need to click on. By clicking on this button, does this mean I am agreeing to deposit my week or will be required to deposit my week to confirm the exchange. I guess I am wondering what happens after you click the orange button?

If you are searching with the AC it means you are exchanging the AC only. It doesn't hurt to click through, you can go all the way to payment before backing out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko ‘Olina
If you are searching with the AC it means you are exchanging the AC only. It doesn't hurt to click through, you can go all the way to payment before backing out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you! Was worried I was committing to something by clicking the orange button.

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko ‘Olina

HatTrick

Reaction score
Yeah, no kidding, what a terrible room location. They are just squeezing buildings on this property wherever they can find space.
And with no expansion to the parking facility--unless they re-striped the spaces to make them even narrower. No end to the shortsightedness and greed... :mad:

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Just completed a weeks stay in a 1br resort view here. We were on the 9th floor in 904. You did see the tapa tower rooms across and to the left. But also there was a view of the ocean if you looked a little further to the left. I will tell you guys that at marriott Ko'Olina this room would be an ocean view.

Marriott plays pretty loose when it comes to view classification. I have gotten ocean view rooms that cannot see any ocean overlook the loadind dock. Marriott Ko'Olina only has island view and ocean view. If your room is facing the ocean but you are on a low floor that is blocked by buildings or trees it is still considered ocean view. Also rooms that look at another tower and you have to look far right to see the ocean are considered ocean view.

Now back to the grand islander. Loved the size of the 1br. Room felt a bit bigger than lagoon tower, Grand waikikian, kalia and hokulani rooms. Could be because of the layout and open space of the kitchen and living room. Bathroom was large and had a nice amount of space. Loved that yoh have a washer and dryer in your room. Air conditioning kept the room cool and the use of koa for the countertop peninsula was very nice.

Had no problems with the elevators and did not experience the wait that others on trip advisor said they had.

Gi is also closer to the restraunts and night life on lewers street. The restraunts are the main reason that we stay at hokulani, now it will be the grand islander. Only downside is the amount of points needed if you book an ocean view room.

The only downside was the walk to and from the garage. I will be paying for the parking across the street at the hale koa parking garage next time. It is also closer walk than the hhv parking garage from the grand islander. Liked gi so much that we will be going back next month. Moved a stay from the hokulani to gi instead.

If anyone has any questions about gi i will try to answer them.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

Last edited:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Just completed a weeks stay in a 1br resort view here. We were on the 9th floor in 903. You did see the tapa tower rooms across and to the left. But also there was a view of the ocean if you looked a little further to the left. I will tell you guys that at marriott Ko'Olina this room would be an ocean view.
I'm confused. You saw the Tapa Tower from room 903?
I was in 603 last month and we faced the other way (diamond head side). I assumed all of the odd number rooms faced the same direction.

Now back to the grand islander. Loved the size of the 1br. Room felt a bit bigger than lagoon tower, Grand waikikian, kalia and hokulani rooms. Could be because of the layout and open space of the kitchen and living room. Bathroom was large and had a nice amount of space. Loved that yoh have a washer and dryer in your room. Air conditioning kept the room cool and the use of koa for the countertop peninsula was very nice.

We had the Grand Islander two bedroom resort view room last month. The layout of the kitchen is better for families. The Grand Islander kitchen area and bathrooms are bigger than the other HHV towers. The Grand Islander living room didn't seem that much bigger than the Kalia Tower to me. The Lagoon Tower still has the largest living room/dining room space unless you get assigned Lagoon Tower room xx68 (link).

Grand Islander Tower

34157690053_c590a9f17f_n.jpg
34804360892_defc98fb55_n.jpg

Lagoon Tower

8415687310_4552d7aff0_n.jpg
8414598541_e62bae7c1b_n.jpg

For those who aren't familiar, here are photos from all of the HHV towers
2017 Grand Islander Tower two bedroom resort view https://www.flickr.com/photos/40089311@N05/sets/72157682200075291
2017 Kalia Tower one bedroom plus https://www.flickr.com/photos/40089311@N05/sets/72157684390036765
2013 Lagoon Tower one bedroom plus https://www.flickr.com/photos/40089311@N05/sets/72157632554235307
2013 Grand Waikikian Tower one bedroom plus https://www.flickr.com/photos/40089311@N05/sets/72157632607903247

Other HHV room photos
2014 Grand Waikikian Tower three bedroom oceanfront penthouse https://www.flickr.com/photos/40089311@N05/sets/72157650676101163
2010 Lagoon Tower Tower three bedroom oceanfront penthouse https://www.flickr.com/photos/40089311@N05/sets/72157623591192119
2009 Lagoon Tower two bedroom premier (penthouse) https://www.flickr.com/photos/40089311@N05/albums/72157620820305657
2009 Lagoon Tower two bedroom premier (oceanfront) https://www.flickr.com/photos/40089311@N05/albums/72157620916829447

Last edited:

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Sorry we were in 904. Corrected that mistake.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Forgot to add the 1br living room felt about the same size as a 2br living room at grand islander. Got to see the 2br thanks to another tugger crf450x that was there at the same time in room 903 across the hallway from us.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

keen1988

Reaction score
A lot have been posted here, we were there at Grand Islander two weeks ago for 4 days as part of a VIP package stay, original assignment was a 2Br resort view room on 8th floor. The front desk lady was nice enough that she upgraded us to 1909 (a ocean view handicap room right next to elevator, though non of us are handicaped, LoL)
For us, it did feel a little bit smaller compare to Grand Waikikian 2BR, but that's OK as the room is definitely more morden and bright.

Oh, the evelvator is well doced, if the systme is so smart, why do I still need to input floor number? Also I want to added, in the evelvator there should be at least one bottom for Lobby, or even another for LL where the bus station is. During my stay, I watched an old lady rush into my elevator on the lobby floor, then got totally lost. I can't explain to her as she only speak japanese. I had to call a evalator for her to send her back to lobby...

The Ocean view is very similar to this one, just that its even farther from the ocean from our room, in my own book that's partial OV at best.
The various Grand Islander room views posted on TripAdvisor and Yelp

photo2jpg.jpg

The equipments are nice, fancy fans, remotes for window shades(the living room's remote control setting was mess up, as some one in another room keep open our living room's shades, we just thought it's funny, but it maybe scare if someone is sleeping on the sofabed in the middle night), self open/class balcony door(is this handicap room only?), King sofa bed enough for 3 kids, washlet(only in master bath though), washer/dryer all-in-one. We just hope they also come up with better lighting contral, maybe a central contral panel or even a remoter, at least for a handicap room. Building qulity is so-so, we already see some sign of faults on the wood trims and countertop, crackers, noises....

Access to the shopping area and beach does require a good 3mins walk.

One more tip for anyone looking to stay at the complex, to reduce the parking cost, there is a parking area right between the lagoon and the ocean lagoon, where parking free for 3 or 6 hours(but do close in midnight, saying they'll tow you) and a near by parking lot charge reasonable $1/hour parking overnight. Just search Ala Moana Bowls Parking Lot on google map. To the lagoon tower it's even more close then on-site selfparking, for GI it going to be 10mins beach walk LoL. We did notice it when walking aroudn the lagoon.

Last edited:

keen1988

Reaction score
It is a long, grueling flight. On the way there, at least you are looking forward to being there. We try to split the flight in half, changing planes in SFO or LAX. We no longer do two connections, even though they are cheaper. We change planes, get lunch, walk around, then do the last leg. We stay at the HHV, I don't want to drive after all that traveling. Typically, outbound, we stay at an airport hotel, get up around 4:30AM EST, and arrive somewhere around 5-6PM HNL time (10-11PM EST) depending on flights. It certainly is a long day. I always get milk as soon as I arrive at the resort, so I can have coffee when I wake up at 2 in the morning and can't get back to sleep because of the time change. The return flight is just as brutal, and they are almost all overnight. I can't sleep on planes, so it takes a few days when I get home to recover. But we do it every year for about 3 weeks, and my wife hates flying. Ativan has made it much more bearable for her. I've already book airfare for next year, (C$680 each return, about US$505). I don't find it that bad to fly, Florida is over C$500 return for us each anyhow.
Hmm, there are better options, airlines have started to flying full flat-bed first class from mainland to HI these days, I was on a UA Boeing 777-200 from SFO to HNL and that's so much better compare to 737s and 757s they and AA are still flying from LAX, only cost me $650 compare to $400 economic one-way. But they are charging the same amount for old 737 and 777s, so make sure you get flatbed before you book, they have special seat logo like a bed on seat map. For now I'm sure that Hawaiian and AA are flying these from JFK, and UA are flying from Boston and Denver.

Last edited:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Hmm, there are better options, airlines have started to flying full flat-bed first class from mainland to HI these days, I was on a UA Boeing 777-200 from SFO to HNL and that's so much better compare to 737s and 757s they and AA are still flying from LAX, only cost me $650 compare to $400 economic one-way. But they are charging the same amount for old 737 and 777s, so make sure you get flatbed before you book, they have special seat logo like a bed on seat map. For now I'm sure that Hawaiian and AA are flying these from JFK, and UA are flying from Boston and Denver.

Thanks for sharing. That is a good deal from the West Coast.

We did United's full flat bed first class last month between New Jersey and Honolulu (United Boeing 767-300). There is a big price difference coming from the East Coast and UA frequent flyer saver rate is rare for these seats. It's definitely a comfortable seat but we still didn't sleep well on the overnight flight. First class service was just ok. Food was better years ago. Now, it's treated like domestic first class.

https://thepointsguy.com/2016/08/comparing-premium-service-to-hawaii/

Last edited:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
I believe you need your key card and have to take the elevator to access the Grand Islander pool, similar to Hokulani.

oh, I forgot to mention... the Grand Islander doesn't require a key card.
You just indicate your floor and it tells you the elevator assignment.

keen1988

Reaction score

We did United's full flat bed first class last month between New Jersey and Honolulu (United Boeing 767-300). There is a big price difference coming from the East Coast and UA frequent flyer saver rate is rare for these seats. It's definitely a comfortable seat but we still didn't sleep well on the overnight flight. First class service was just ok. Food was better years ago. Now, it's treated like domestic first class.

Much more flat-beds starting 2017, hope it will drop the price a little bit for you. UA is always so-so even for international flight, but food is ok for me this time, both eggs and sausages on the way there and humbuger on the way back seems to be fresh cooked/hot, and taste better than fast-food chain(yes, that's my expectation level for UA)
http://newsroom.united.com/2017-06-...-Hawaii-Increases-Service-to-40-Daily-Flights

Southdown13

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just finished a four night stay in a 1 br Premier ocean view unit using club points at the Grand Islander. We were assigned a room on the 26th floor. I called before our arrival to request a Diamond Head side unit, and the FD person told me that all ocean view 1 br units will be on the DH side.

No issues with the elevators and wait times were minimal. There was some traffic noise from Kalia Road nearby, but at night it seemed fairly quiet inside the unit with the sliding door closed. We enjoyed the balcony, although there is direct sun from sunrise to about 3 pm, so we mainly used it in the late afternoon. Overall a great stay, and it’s nice to have another good option for a unit at HHV.

Diamond Head is behind the center building (Trump International Hotel)

Pano view

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko ‘Olina

We are flying first class on United metal from EWR to HNL in April. The tickets cost a king’s ransom at $4000 for my husband and myself. But in my 50s, I don’t think I can take a cramped coach class anymore. I flew coach years back to HNL (think TWA) and did ok but seats were roomier and I was smaller in my 20s. Last trip to HI was 1994 so I am getting very excited!

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
We are flying first class on United metal from EWR to HNL in April. The tickets cost a king’s ransom at $4000 for my husband and myself. But in my 50s, I don’t think I can take a cramped coach class anymore. I flew coach years back to HNL (think TWA) and did ok but seats were roomier and I was smaller in my 20s. Last trip to HI was 1994 so I am getting very excited!

I hope you have a wonderful trip.:thumbup:

Where did you decide to stay? HHV, Hokulani and/or KoOlina?

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko ‘Olina
I hope you have a wonderful trip.:thumbup:

Where did you decide to stay? HHV, Hokulani and/or KoOlina?

We are staying in a HHV Kalia Suites 1 bedroom Oceanview. I feel like the elevators will be better for my husband on a mobility scooter. I also like the fact that the lobby seems to have a hotel-like atmosphere. We will be in Waikiki there for 8 days then over to Kings’ Land on the Big Island for 7 nights. Can’t wait! We are watching all the episodes of Hawaii Five-O. Lol.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
I toured the Grand Islander when staying at the Lagoon Tower last year. It was very nice, to be sure. Of course, everything is brand new, so the new sparkle is nice. We looked at the upper floor two and three bedroom units, and the penthouse units. Those go for as much as $150k, fixed week, and were largely sold out! But the more "basic" ocean view 2-bedroom rooms were nicer than the comparable 8400 pt Lagoon Tower rooms. Nicer view and brand new. That said, there's no secondary market yet and the developer prices were silly. Don't recall exactly, but somewhere in the area of $40,000-50,000 more than we paid for an ocean view 2 bedroom in the Lagoon tower.

Reaction score
Wow, it sounds like that is a building we would avoid due to the type of elevator call system it uses. I think Hokulani is like that as well from what I have read. I think our best choices are going to be Kalia Tower or Grand Waikikian. I've pretty much decided that these will be our choices moving forward. That's disappointing news about Grand Islander since it is brand new.
Wouldn’t avoid the building simply because the elevator situation. This is a superior building in the Hawaiian village, rooms are spacious well appointed and modern.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I know this is a older posting, but I am trying to gather some info on the unit types at GI.

Premier Luxury - Ocean View - 2LX vs Premier - Ocean View 2BX is this nothing other than differences in floor with Luxury getting the higher floors and better views?

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
I know this is a older posting, but I am trying to gather some info on the unit types at GI.

Premier Luxury - Ocean View - 2LX vs Premier - Ocean View 2BX is this nothing other than differences in floor with Luxury getting the higher floors and better views?

As far as I know it’s floor and view (see pdf link in POST #2). :shrug:

Sometimes the room descriptions on the HGVC member website and Hilton.com will indicate any additional differences. Please report back if you find something. ;)