• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Grand Islander Reviews

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Sanibel Cottages (Affiliate)
Marriott Ko ‘Olina
It really depends on what you're looking for. In the future, I'm hoping to split my stay between the Hilton and the Marriott.

Hilton has the location advantage. You're right in the middle of everything with easy access to dining, cultural activities and entertainment. I've been going to HHV since 2000. I'm also a Lagoon Tower owner as well. Honestly I never found the HHV pools inviting. I did the HHV lagoon and Paradise pool once when my nieces came to HHV in 2014. It's not like the Hilton pools on the Big Island.

Marriott has done an outstanding job from a destination resort perspective. If you're planning to hang out at the resort then this is the one. Beautiful landscaping, enough beach area, pools and hot tubs for the resort size. It could use better onsite dining options. Just stick with the ocean view rooms and avoid the mountain view rooms since there is a good chance you'll get a parking lot view.

Of course, Disney has the features the kids want. I loved Aulani when it first opened. They did a fantastic job with that resort from a Hawaiian theme perspective. It was at 51% occupancy during our initial stay in 2012. It was nice and relaxing. I shared pics on TUG (link). In 2014, I brought the extended family back for my 2nd visit and what a mad house. It was like night and day. My nieces had a great time but they over built and don't have enough space.

If you were to purchase a unit today, knowing what you know, where would it be -- HHV or Marriott Ko Olina? I've been reading about the traffic congestion in Honolulu and I don't recall it being that bad many years ago but it has likely gotten worse since I was last there. I would opt for the Marriott property, if traffic were not so terrible, thinking we could always drive into Waikiki when we wanted, but it really sounds like it is difficult driving through Honolulu. And no one likes to sit in traffic on vacation . . .

jestme

Reaction score
It is a long, grueling flight. On the way there, at least you are looking forward to being there. We try to split the flight in half, changing planes in SFO or LAX. We no longer do two connections, even though they are cheaper. We change planes, get lunch, walk around, then do the last leg. We stay at the HHV, I don't want to drive after all that traveling. Typically, outbound, we stay at an airport hotel, get up around 4:30AM EST, and arrive somewhere around 5-6PM HNL time (10-11PM EST) depending on flights. It certainly is a long day. I always get milk as soon as I arrive at the resort, so I can have coffee when I wake up at 2 in the morning and can't get back to sleep because of the time change. The return flight is just as brutal, and they are almost all overnight. I can't sleep on planes, so it takes a few days when I get home to recover. But we do it every year for about 3 weeks, and my wife hates flying. Ativan has made it much more bearable for her. I've already book airfare for next year, (C$680 each return, about US$505). I don't find it that bad to fly, Florida is over C$500 return for us each anyhow.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
If you were to purchase a unit today, knowing what you know, where would it be -- HHV or Marriott Ko Olina?

This is very difficult to answer -- if I had to purchase only one now, I would purchase HHV -- and I did purchase my HHV before buying my Ko Olina. I love the restaurants and shopping at HHV, while still being in Hawaii. However, I have other timeshares that provide the tranquility that HHV lacks, therefore I do not need tranquility from HHV.

For a different owner, that was seeking a timeshare that would provide tranquility in Hawaii, I would recommend Ko Olina over HHV. I believe it is more in line with what many people are thinking about when they contemplate a Hawaiian vacation.

Best,

Greg

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I think Greg answered your query very well. HHV is a small city unto itself. With the recent addition of Grand Islander, there are now nearly 3,500 rooms on the property. Secluded it is not, but it's still got a lot going for it: fireworks on the beach on Friday nights, nice shops and restaurants right on property, access to very nice pools and the lagoon as well as the ocean, and the short walk to more attractions in Waikiki. If you're looking to totally relax and get away from it all, I'd recommend Ko'Olina. It's much less crowded, simply beautiful and beautifully maintained, and gives you more of the Hawaiian experience. But you're a good 15 miles away from Honolulu and Waikiki, so you're more isolated for sure.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Thank you both for the insightful comments. My husband and I live on the east coast in Florida. It seems that most time share owners in HI are west coasters. Any thoughts on how difficult it would be to use it yearly if living on the east coast? I know the flights are expensive (I can remember years ago flying to HI on TWA for $500) and the trip is grueling, the time change extreme. . . For those of you that do live on the east coast, have you ever regretted the purchase? I feel like Marriott Ko Olina is nicer and we would have a rental car to go places but HGV has the advantage of being able to exchange it for a different location if you can't get there. And it is nice to be in Waikiki. I wish Hilton offered another property there on the beach. I'm trying to weigh all of this. I really liked alwaysonvac's photos of Marriott Ko Olina.

We live on the East Coast (New Jersey). As Frank said it's a long grueling flight to/from especially the return flight since it's an overnight flight. But I don't regret the purchase. I bought HGVC specifically for the Hilton Hawaiian Village. Our timeshares have allowed us to have many wonderful and memorable trips with extended family and friends.

Since flights are more expensive and we lose a day traveling coming & going, we try to stay longer instead of going to Hawaii every year. Our preference is to stay a minimum of two weeks whenever possible. Both United and Hawaiian Airlines offer nonstop flights from the NY/NJ area. So we've been taking the 10 hour nonstop flight departing from NJ on Saturday and returning from Honolulu on Friday which gets us back in NJ early Saturday morning. This gives us Sunday to relax before heading back to work on Monday.

However as we get older, we're finding the jet lag recovery harder and harder. Last week my husband had a tough time adjusting to the time change. My husband will be 57 this year. So I'm going to break up the trip on the way back (flying from HI to CA during the day, staying overnight then flying from CA to NJ during the day) and perhaps plan for an extra work day off giving us a shorter work week. (returning to work on Tuesday instead of Monday).

The Marriott Ko Olina is definitely nicer and they don't charge a parking fee for timeshare stays. However traffic in Honolulu is horrendous during rush hour.
Honolulu ranks in top 5 for traffic congestion (2015) - http://khon2.com/2015/03/31/honolul...-congestion-new-management-center-could-help/
How Did Traffic in Honolulu Get So Bad? (2015) - http://www.honolulumagazine.com/Hon...-2015/How-Did-Traffic-in-Honolulu-Get-so-Bad/

For both Marriott and Hilton, you can exchange your resale week for a different sister location. Marriott weeks owners have a priority preference period in Interval International for exchanges into their sister resorts. Marriott also has timeshares on Maui, Kauai and now the Big Island. But I suggest that you don't buy anything until you try Ko Olina first and learn how the Marriott system works.

Some things to know:
  1. An Atlantis resort is coming to Ko'Olina which might change the dynamics in that area - http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/news/2016/12/15/details-revealed-for-atlantis-branded-resort.html
  2. Oahu is working on a lite rail system planned for 2024 - https://www.honolulutransit.org/
  3. Alaska Airlines credit card offers an annual companion ticket but the savings might mean a long layover at their Seattle hub - https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mileage-plan/how-to-earn-miles/financial-partners

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
If you were to purchase a unit today, knowing what you know, where would it be -- HHV or Marriott Ko Olina? I've been reading about the traffic congestion in Honolulu and I don't recall it being that bad many years ago but it has likely gotten worse since I was last there. I would opt for the Marriott property, if traffic were not so terrible, thinking we could always drive into Waikiki when we wanted, but it really sounds like it is difficult driving through Honolulu. And no one likes to sit in traffic on vacation . . .

I agree with Greg. That is a tough question but if I had to purchase only one, I would purchase HHV. For us, Honolulu offers us something that the Caribbean can't provide us (a combination of major US city and tropical destination). Since we sometimes travel with extended family and friends, HHV also allows our guests the freedom to come and go with lots of options within walking distance or using public transportation.

Over the last several years, we sometimes split our time at various resorts to get a mixture. For example, a week at the HGVC on Oahu followed by a week at the Westin on Maui or a week at the Westin on Maui followed by a week at the HGVC on the Big Island.

If you can, I suggest going to Oahu for two weeks and spending one week in HGVC and the other week at the Marriott.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Thank you both for the insightful comments. My husband and I live on the east coast in Florida. It seems that most time share owners in HI are west coasters. Any thoughts on how difficult it would be to use it yearly if living on the east coast? I know the flights are expensive (I can remember years ago flying to HI on TWA for $500) and the trip is grueling, the time change extreme. . . For those of you that do live on the east coast, have you ever regretted the purchase? I feel like Marriott Ko Olina is nicer and we would have a rental car to go places but HGV has the advantage of being able to exchange it for a different location if you can't get there. And it is nice to be in Waikiki. I wish Hilton offered another property there on the beach. I'm trying to weigh all of this. I really liked alwaysonvac's photos of Marriott Ko Olina.

We use our points to go to Honolulu every year. While it is a long trip the direct flight that we get on Hawaiian Airlines from JFK makes it a reasonable at 10.5 hours. We also make the return trip, which is only 9.5 hours. very palatable since we stay for numbers of weeks. There is a technique that you could use to stay longer; if you own one week you can either bank and/or borrow another weeks worth of points to stay multiple.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Yes, I do love the flexibility of the HGVC program too such as banking/borrowing, check-in any day, any size unit, for any number of night (3 night minimum)).
Marriott has both the legacy weeks program and a new DC points program. However I think from a resale perspective, Marriott's DC points program may be more expensive than HGVC but checkout the latest info on the Marriott Forum.

If you can travel anytime during the year, maybe you could use your Sanibel week to trade with Interval International and buy an additional small HGVC resale week for internal HGVC trading. Then you need to become a TUG member and checkout our TUG Sightings forum for exchange company sightings ;)

When you get to the "planning your trip" stage, there are lots of old threads on the TUG Hawaii forum such as
  1. Hawaii Car Rentals - http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/hawaii-car-rentals.242067/
  2. What's One Thing You Wish You Had Known...[before you went to Hawaii] - http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?...u-had-known-before-you-went-to-hawaii.218338/
I also find better airfare deals and more timeshare availability from late August thru mid December (excluding holidays). Generally there will be higher airfare whenever the kids are out of school (spring, summer and winter break and school holidays). May is also a good month for timeshare availability (after Spring Break and before the high demand summer months begin). I booked the Marriott Ko Olina for this May via Interval International.

Here's a link to Interval International's Travel Demand index for the Hawaiian Island. Expect less availability and more crowds during the higher demand times - https://www.intervalworld.com/iimedia/images/tdi/2017/TDI-13.jpg

For airfare deals, I use the following:
http://beatofhawaii.com/category/all-deals/
http://beatofhawaii.com/the-cheapest-time-to-fly-to-hawaii-is-coming-soon/

Last edited:

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko ‘Olina
I agree with Greg. That is a tough question but if I had to purchase only one, I would purchase HHV. For us, Honolulu offers us something that the Caribbean can't provide us (a combination of major US city and tropical destination). Since we sometimes travel with extended family and friends, HHV also allows our guests the freedom to come and go with lots of options within walking distance or using public transportation.

Over the last several years, we sometimes split our time at various resorts to get a mixture. For example, a week at the HGVC on Oahu followed by a week at the Westin on Maui or a week at the Westin on Maui followed by a week at the HGVC on the Big Island.

If you can, I suggest going to Oahu for two weeks and spending one week in HGVC and the other week at the Marriott.

That is an excellent suggestion. We are planning a trip there for 2018. I plan to exchange our Sanibel Cottages unit for a week at HHV, hopefully I'll be able to get Kalia Tower as that would be our interest due to the scooter-friendly elevators. Then perhaps I could rent a few days at Ko Olina to try it out. We will probably go to a neighboring island for a week as well.

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko ‘Olina
We live on the East Coast (New Jersey). As Frank said it's a long grueling flight to/from especially the return flight since it's an overnight flight. But I don't regret the purchase. I bought HGVC specifically for the Hilton Hawaiian Village. Our timeshares have allowed us to have many wonderful and memorable trips with extended family and friends.

Since flights are more expensive and we lose a day traveling coming & going, we try to stay longer instead of going to Hawaii every year. Our preference is to stay a minimum of two weeks whenever possible. Both United and Hawaiian Airlines offer nonstop flights from the NY/NJ area. So we've been taking the 10 hour nonstop flight departing from NJ on Saturday and returning from Honolulu on Friday which gets us back in NJ early Saturday morning. This gives us Sunday to relax before heading back to work on Monday.

However as we get older, we're finding the jet lag recovery harder and harder. Last week my husband had a tough time adjusting to the time change. My husband will be 57 this year. So I'm going to break up the trip on the way back (flying from HI to CA during the day, staying overnight then flying from CA to NJ during the day) and perhaps plan for an extra work day off giving us a shorter work week. (returning to work on Tuesday instead of Monday).

The Marriott Ko Olina is definitely nicer and they don't charge a parking fee for timeshare stays. However traffic in Honolulu is horrendous during rush hour.
Honolulu ranks in top 5 for traffic congestion (2015) - http://khon2.com/2015/03/31/honolul...-congestion-new-management-center-could-help/
How Did Traffic in Honolulu Get So Bad? (2015) - http://www.honolulumagazine.com/Hon...-2015/How-Did-Traffic-in-Honolulu-Get-so-Bad/

For both Marriott and Hilton, you can exchange your resale week for a different sister location. Marriott weeks owners have a priority preference period in Interval International for exchanges into their sister resorts. Marriott also has timeshares on Maui, Kauai and now the Big Island. But I suggest that you don't buy anything until you try Ko Olina first and learn how the Marriott system works.

Some things to know:
  1. An Atlantis resort is coming to Ko'Olina which might change the dynamics in that area - http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/news/2016/12/15/details-revealed-for-atlantis-branded-resort.html
  2. Oahu is working on a lite rail system planned for 2024 - https://www.honolulutransit.org/
  3. Alaska Airlines credit card offers an annual companion ticket but the savings might mean a long layover at their Seattle hub - https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mileage-plan/how-to-earn-miles/financial-partners

You are an amazing resource! I always read your posts with interest. Actually, the whole forum is terrific. I will explore these links as time permits.

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko ‘Olina
We use our points to go to Honolulu every year. While it is a long trip the direct flight that we get on Hawaiian Airlines from JFK makes it a reasonable at 10.5 hours. We also make the return trip, which is only 9.5 hours. very palatable since we stay for numbers of weeks. There is a technique that you could use to stay longer; if you own one week you can either bank and/or borrow another weeks worth of points to stay multiple.

Thank you for the suggestion. That's terrific that you are making the trip yearly from the east coast! My husband has family in NJ so for us we would probably make the trip on United with a layover in EWR so he can visit family.

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko ‘Olina
Yes, I do love the flexibility of the HGVC program too such as banking/borrowing, check-in any day, any size unit, for any number of night (3 night minimum)).
Marriott has both the legacy weeks program and a new DC points program. However I think from a resale perspective, Marriott's DC points program may be more expensive than HGVC but checkout the latest info on the Marriott Forum.

If you can travel anytime during the year, maybe you could use your Sanibel week to trade with Interval International and buy an additional small HGVC resale week for internal HGVC trading. Then you need to become a TUG member and checkout our TUG Sightings forum for exchange company sightings ;)

When you get to the "planning your trip" stage, there are lots of old threads on the TUG Hawaii forum such as
  1. Hawaii Car Rentals - http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/hawaii-car-rentals.242067/
  2. What's One Thing You Wish You Had Known...[before you went to Hawaii] - http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?...u-had-known-before-you-went-to-hawaii.218338/
I also find better airfare deals and more timeshare availability from late August thru mid December (excluding holidays). Generally there will be higher airfare whenever the kids are out of school (spring, summer and winter break and school holidays). May is also a good month for timeshare availability (after Spring Break and before the high demand summer months begin). I booked the Marriott Ko Olina for this May via Interval International.

Here's a link to Interval International's Travel Demand index for the Hawaiian Island. Expect less availability and more crowds during the higher demand times - https://www.intervalworld.com/iimedia/images/tdi/2017/TDI-13.jpg

For airfare deals, I use the following:
http://beatofhawaii.com/category/all-deals/
http://beatofhawaii.com/the-cheapest-time-to-fly-to-hawaii-is-coming-soon/

Oh, I am a TUG member but I guess I am never logged into the Forum when I post. I'm not sure why TUG requires 2 separate log ins. If I were logged in, at least it would spare me the ads.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
It's a single login but I see you figured it out. It now says "TUG Member" under your name instead of GUEST :thumbup:

As a TUG Member, you have access to the TUG Sightings Forum where members post sighted availability at high demand/popular resorts and/or locations.
http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?forums/sightings-distressed.3/

I'm not sure how familiar you are with timeshare exchanges but the TUG Sightings forum will give you an ideal on what is possible with the exchange companies. It's another area on TUG that I've posted a lot over the years. If you can travel anytime during the year, there is some good availability. The key is flexibility. ;)

Here are some examples of what I've recently posted from Interval International.

NOTE: Almost all of my TUG Sightings are via my trader.

Last edited:

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Alwys, just wanted to give you a big thumbs up for all your sound advice and assistance to the rest of us in the TUG community. Thank you!

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Alwys, just wanted to give you a big thumbs up for all your sound advice and assistance to the rest of us in the TUG community. Thank you!
I totally agree - AlwysOnVac Rocks and has great information for the community.

Plus, she and her husband are really nice people and definitely worth meeting on a trip. I was very lucky to meet them in Aruba in Oct 2012 -- I will hope we meet again soon!!

Best,

Greg

Last edited:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Thanks everyone :hi:

Over the years, I've learned so much from the TUG forums, Resort Rankings and Reviews Database and TUG Advice articles. Just giving back to the community that helped me years ago when I first started out. We purchased a HGVC VIP package after attending a sales presentation for the HHV Lagoon Tower conversion/construction that was in progress during our vacation at the Hilton Hawaiian Village in 2000. A simple search on the internet before our next sales presentation help me find TUG and showed me how to gain access via resale. I made my first resale purchase in 2003 and I owe it all to TUG. :thumbup:

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko ‘Olina
It's a single login but I see you figured it out. It now says "TUG Member" under your name instead of GUEST :thumbup:

As a TUG Member, you have access to the TUG Sightings Forum where members post sighted availability at high demand/popular resorts and/or locations.
http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?forums/sightings-distressed.3/

I'm not sure how familiar you are with timeshare exchanges but the TUG Sightings forum will give you an ideal on what is possible with the exchange companies. It's another area on TUG that I've posted a lot over the years. If you can travel anytime during the year, there is some good availability. The key is flexibility. ;)

Here are some examples of what I've recently posted from Interval International.

NOTE: Almost all of my TUG Sightings are via my trader.

No, I am actually clueless on exchanges. I read a post of yours on a different thread about using an AC to book a couple nights at Marriott Ko Olina. It look me 15 minutes to figure out what an AC is. I finally figured it out, and then checked to see if I had one too, and I do but it expires soon and we have no trip planned in the next 1-2 months. But I am slowly figuring it all out, very slowly. Lol. I'm trying to read a lot of the threads here to learn as I am just not that savvy on exchanges.

We are members of II. II seems to want you to deposit your week first with no guarantee of anything you want in return. But since we are also within the HGVC system, as well as RCI by default, I feel like we can stay within HGVC for exchanges whenever possible. One idea I did want to learn more about is exchanging a Marriott if you are not a MVC destination points member. I read a list that alluded to a 'preference" or priority for Marriott trades within II. I guess I feel like if we bought at Ko Olina, and could not use it (I plan to test next year how well my husband can make the trip), I would need to exchange the week for something else. But the thought of 'deposit first" and hope for the best troubles me. You hate to give up something and get nothing in return.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
No, I am actually clueless on exchanges. I read a post of yours on a different thread about using an AC to book a couple nights at Marriott Ko Olina. It look me 15 minutes to figure out what an AC is. I finally figured it out, and then checked to see if I had one too, and I do but it expires soon and we have no trip planned in the next 1-2 months. But I am slowly figuring it all out, very slowly. Lol. I'm trying to read a lot of the threads here to learn as I am just not that savvy on exchanges.
That's very good that you were able to follow that thread. You're in the advance class ;)
The AC prices are great so don't rule out a possible stayvaction/long weekend getaway. :cool:

Here's a link on what I learned about exchanges over the years via TUG. It's not specific to HGVC. It works the same way regardless of which timeshare I use for an exchange - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1702883&postcount=4

We are members of II. II seems to want you to deposit your week first with no guarantee of anything you want in return. But since we are also within the HGVC system, as well as RCI by default, I feel like we can stay within HGVC for exchanges whenever possible.
I believe all II members have the option of either request first or deposit first - https://www.intervalworld.com/web/my/info/benefits/exchange

I also suggest getting familiar on what II has to offer for your current week by searching online (not depositing or setting up an ongoing request). Just select Vacation exchange and put a bogus confirmation number if it requires one and to get familiar with online availability. And just see if you can view the same weeks posted on the Sightings forum. Just don't go pass the page where is it asks you for credit card information. Feel free to PM me if you have questions.
NOTE: High demand weeks may be grabbed within minutes of a sighting.

One idea I did want to learn more about is exchanging a Marriott if you are not a MVC destination points member. I read a list that alluded to a 'preference" or priority for Marriott trades within II. I guess I feel like if we bought at Ko Olina, and could not use it (I plan to test next year how well my husband can make the trip), I would need to exchange the week for something else. But the thought of 'deposit first" and hope for the best troubles me. You hate to give up something and get nothing in return.

Yes, Interval International has setup a priority booking period for sister resorts for some developers such as Marriott, Vistana (aka Starwood) & Four Seasons Residence Club. The gives these owners first access to weeks within their family of resorts before it becomes available to the general II public. As a result, high demand resorts and/or period travel periods are generally booked by these owners during their priority preference window leaving a mostly off season weeks for the general public except in over built timeshare areas such as Orlando and Vegas.

In the past, all Marriott members had to use II for internal Marriott trades. When Marriott launched their destination point system, they finally built a reservation system that supports internal trades. As a result, it's not clear how II exchange availability might be impacted in the future. It's discussed regularly on the Marriott forum
Since Hawaii timeshares generally have much higher maintenance fees, most Tuggers will only buy if they intend to primarily using it for Home resort stays. Which resort to buy is another common topic of discussion. It really depends on where and when you want to go. Some locations are tough to exchange into than others especially when the kids are out of school (spring/summer/winter breaks and school holidays). Some owners prefer to rent their high demand week than exchange it. Some examples of tough internal II exchanges are Marriott's Hawaii, Newport, Hilton Head, and Myrtle Beach resorts in the summer months.

Last edited:

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko ‘Olina
That's very good that you were able to follow that thread. You're in the advance class ;)
The AC prices are great so don't rule out a possible stayvaction/long weekend getaway. :cool:

Here's a link on what I learned about exchanges over the years via TUG. It's not specific to HGVC. It works the same way regardless of which timeshare I use for an exchange - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1702883&postcount=4

I believe all II members have the option of either request first or deposit first - https://www.intervalworld.com/web/my/info/benefits/exchange

I also suggest getting familiar on what II has to offer for your current week by searching online (not depositing or setting up an ongoing request). Just select Vacation exchange and put a bogus confirmation number if it requires one and to get familiar with online availability. And just see if you can view the same weeks posted on the Sightings forum. Just don't go pass the page where is it asks you for credit card information. Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

Yes, Interval International has setup a priority booking period for sister resorts for some developers such as Marriott, Vistana (aka Starwood) & Four Seasons Residence Club. The gives these owners first access to weeks within their family of resorts before it becomes available to the general II public. As a result, high demand resorts and/or period travel periods are generally booked by these owners during their priority preference window leaving a mostly off season weeks for the general public except in over built timeshare areas such as Orlando and Vegas.

In the past, all Marriott members had to use II for internal Marriott trades. When Marriott launched their destination point system, they finally built a reservation system that supports internal trades. As a result, it's not clear how II exchange availability might be impacted in the future. It's discussed regularly on the Marriott forum
Since Hawaii timeshares generally have much higher maintenance fees, most Tuggers will only buy if they intend to primarily using it for Home resort stays. Which resort to buy is another common topic of discussion. It really depends on where and when you want to go. Some locations are tough to exchange into than others especially when the kids are out of school (spring/summer/winter breaks and school holidays). Some owners prefer to rent their high demand week than exchange it. Some examples of tough internal II exchanges are Marriott's Hawaii, Newport, Hilton Head, and Myrtle Beach resorts in the summer months.

Thank you! I will explore all these links as I have time and my reading continues. . . I was happy to read about the light rail coming to HI as I feel like it opens up Kapolei and makes it easier to get into Waikiki to spend the day.

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko ‘Olina

Are the trades that Marriott owners reference in this thread "deposit first" trades through II due to the Marriott priority window or are they "request first?"

http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/no-problems-getting-good-traditional-exchanges.251302/

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
We checked our extended family members into their resort view room at the Grand Islander on Saturday. At checkin, I requested a room with two double beds in the 2nd bedroom since we preferred three separate beds. Luckily we were assigned a two bedroom on the 6th floor overlooking the pool area. I am truly grateful for the room assignment based on the other possible "resort view" locations at the Grand Islander Tower.

I'll post more photos when we get back home.

Here's the view from room 603. (Odd number rooms face diamond head).

34517944372_d0bd630061_z_d.jpg

34680503635_46d8df9448_z_d.jpg

34517969602_52e37edb3e_z_d.jpg

The balconies from rooms x01 are directly across from the apartments (see photo below)

33837532694_a7727f71c6_z_d.jpg

Are X01 rooms that are directly across from the apartments fewer points? That looks like a really poor view...

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Thank you! I will explore all these links as I have time and my reading continues. . . I was happy to read about the light rail coming to HI as I feel like it opens up Kapolei and makes it easier to get into Waikiki to spend the day.
Don't expect the rail to be running for at least another couple of years. Right now there is not enough money to complete the rail. The city is trying to find other means of paying for it. When it was initially priced at under 4 billion has now blossomed to something around 9 billion plus. Hawaii accounting at it's finest. That is what happend when there is no accountability.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko ‘Olina
Don't expect the rail to be running for at least another couple of years. Right now there is not enough money to complete the rail. The city is trying to find other means of paying for it. When it was initially priced at under 4 billion has now blossomed to something around 9 billion plus. Hawaii accounting at it's finest. That is what happend when there is no accountability.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

I did read that somewhere and it is disappointing news. I read the project was very controversial. The project has been plagued by setbacks and delays.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Are the trades that Marriott owners reference in this thread "deposit first" trades through II due to the Marriott priority window or are they "request first?"

http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/no-problems-getting-good-traditional-exchanges.251302/

Unless it's stated in the thread there is no way to tell. But I don't believe it makes a difference.

Here are some old threads I found using a google search (link)

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Are X01 rooms that are directly across from the apartments fewer points? That looks like a really poor view...

Yes, they are really bad views.

Based on the Point Chart and Floor Plan GregT received back in 2014 (see link below), it looks like some of these rooms fall under either "Resort view" or "Partial Ocean view".
NOTE: Resort View is the lowest point room in this tower.
http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?attachments/gi_point_chart_and_floor_plans-pdf.1889/

The Grand Islander was crammed between the Tapa Tower Conference Center on the West side (Ala Moana side) and the Diamond Head Apartments & Diamond Head Tower on the East side (see map below). As a result some of the rooms on the lower level are right up against these structures (see photos below).

34845821411_aa10ae6fe5.jpg

Balconies blocked by the Diamond Head Apartments and Diamond Head Tower

34807222402_6ac178d2a9_n.jpg

The Pool Deck is on the 3rd Floor. At the far end is the Diamond Head Tower and across from the last set of balconies is the Diamond Head Apartments

34804407552_fc52e63983_n.jpg

Looking at the xx01 balconies which are directly across from the Diamond Head Apartments from room 603

34583756180_e89193d9c6_n.jpg
34583752980_034185bcd9_n.jpg

Looking up at the xx01 balconies from the street which are blocked by the Diamond Head Apartments

34838560221_6b2e8c862d_n.jpg

From Left to Right - Tapa Tower; Grand Islander Tower; Diamond Head Apartments (shorter building); Diamond Head Tower (directly facing)

34807217712_962cfb5490_n.jpg

Looking at the Ocean facing view of the Grand Islander tower which is partially blocked by the Diamond Head Tower
Balconies near the Tapa Tower Conference Center

34826693831_9d26177edb_n.jpg

Looking at the Tapa Tower and its extended conference center which comes right up to the Grand Islander Tower

believe-it-or-not-our.jpg

Previous Tripadvisor photo that was posted earlier in this thread. The balcony is up against the Tapa Tower conference center. The building at the far end on the left side is the Ali'i Tower. Tapa Tower and Rainbow Tower are on the right side.

Last edited: