• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Why Hawaii is trying to ban a common sunscreen

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Being faired-skin and somewhat large who spends all vacations in the tropics (and a wife who loves to sunbathe), I find wearing the UA HeatGear water shirts SPF50) to be fantastic and a vacation saver - and also cost-savings as the cost of any sunscreen that doesn't have to cover my torso easily pays for these comfortable shirts (wet or dry).

Hey Wait! I am a Scientist to!!! LOL

and @AbelowDS - while I dislike the selling of Fear, and using non-clinical studies to make grandiose claims, I respectfully disagree with some of your arguments regarding the balance between environment protection and public health. But... that may just be me.

[Picture attached to this post removed at DavidnRobin's request - mg]

Last edited by a moderator:

geoand

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
So.... let's let the reefs live while countless thousands develop skin cancer because the non-benzo stuff is not as effective. Makes perfect sense to me

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
There are countless alternatives. I wear a skull cap and a shorty wetsuit and never get burned. The other benefit is that I am wearing a good flotation device. I'm 220 lb. and the shorty wetsuit keeps me floating.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Patti and I wear ankle to wrist "skins." When we first started wearing them there was basically one choice - single piece and black. This made it difficult for visiting the bathroom. Now Patti has several attractive colorful two piece sets. I also wear a skull cap made of material like a wetsuit. Patti loves it because one side is a bright lime green. I wear this side out and she can always find me.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Patti and I wear ankle to wrist "skins." When we first started wearing them there was basically one choice - single piece and black. This made it difficult for visiting the bathroom. Now Patti has several attractive colorful two piece sets. I also wear a skull cap made of material like a wetsuit. Patti loves it because one side is a bright lime green. I wear this side out and she can always find me.

I wear a skull cap as well - great for sun protection while snorkeling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fillde

TUG Member
Reaction score
Being faired-skin and somewhat large who spends all vacations in the tropics (and a wife who loves to sunbathe), I find wearing the UA HeatGear water shirts SPF50) to be fantastic and a vacation saver - and also cost-savings as the cost of any sunscreen that doesn't have to cover my torso easily pays for these comfortable shirts (wet or dry).

Hey Wait! I am a Scientist to!!! LOL
View attachment 3862

and @AbelowDS - while I dislike the selling of Fear, and using non-clinical studies to make grandiose claims, I respectfully disagree with some of your arguments regarding the balance between environment protection and public health. But... that may just be me.

Not sure why the picture is included in this discussion. Are you advocating an end to capitalism? And isn't that considered political?

[Picture attached to DavidnRobin's original post removed at DavidnRobin's request - mg]

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Not sure why the picture is included in this discussion. Are you advocating an end to capitalism? And isn't that considered political?

Political? "End of Capitalism " I implied this?
That's how you see it? Really? I don't get it...
Interesting...
perhaps try in context to my reply to AbelowDS (thus the '@') with a tinge of humor.

Otherwise... well...
E=mc^2

[Picture attached to DavidnRobin's original post removed at DavidnRobin's request - mg]

fillde

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hint. Hint. Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand......

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
By Kendra Pierre-Louis

"The waters surrounding Hawaii's eight main islands contain more than 410,000 acres of living coral reefs. If strung together, the reefs would be bigger than Oahu, Hawaii's third largest island. And because of Hawaii's geographic isolation, the reefs support unique life. The Hawaiian Monk Seal, the Bandit Angelfish—even some of the types of coral that comprise the reef itself—are found nowhere else on earth. It's a shame that our sunscreen might be killing them.

The coral concern is caused by oxybenzone, a chemical which absorbs the sun's UV radiation and gives some (but not all) sunscreens their protective benefit. But oxybenzone might also kill off coral reefs. That's why earlier this year, Hawaii state senator Will Espero introduced a bill that would ban the sale of sunscreens containing oxybenzone within the state of Hawaii. There's a reasonably good chance it will pass and become law.

See the full article:
https://www.aol.com/article/news/2017/05/04/why-hawaii-is-trying-to-ban-a-common-sunscreen/22069368/

We use Banana Boat Sport Sunscreen that has 3% Avobenzone in it. Is this one of the chemicals that they are thinking about banning?

As far as protective clothing, my husband had a melanoma cyst cut from his arm last year. It was a very small stage zero melanoma, but the cut was very deep and wide. He would use sunscreen but it does wear off, and it is difficult to cover the entire body all the time when you out at the beach. The doctor advised him to cover up with clothing as the best protection. He started doing that now, but to be reasonably protected you still need to put sunblock on your face, hands, and legs if you are wearing swim trucks with a long sleeve rash guard, and hat.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Political? "End of Capitalism " I implied this?
That's how you see it? Really? I don't get it...
Interesting...
perhaps try in context to my reply to AbelowDS (thus the '@') with a tinge of humor.

Otherwise... well...
E=mc^2

Perhaps they were referring to the sign someone was holding behind you?

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Perhaps they were referring to the sign someone was holding behind you?

OMG - I didn't check all the signs!
Mod please delete!
LOL

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Done (Dave you anarchist! ;) )

For future reference, you can click EDIT and then just remove the link to the picture.

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
The file is still attached to the post #26 and can be read, if it matters. :D

Cheers

[Now removed - mg]

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Hmmm - can't see a way to delete the attached file - will bump it up the food chain.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
So I tried to find out more about this proposed ban and it sounds like it would really just impact the sunscreens sold in Hawaii, not the sunscreens brought in by tourists. But it's possible they would go through luggage and remove the banned sunscreens, though that seems like a lot of work. I just bought myself some special reef-safe sunscreen for our trip :)

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx

AbelowDS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interestingly, zinc has some toxicity to plants. It is sold in roll form by Home Deport to prevent moss and mildew from growing on a person's roof.http://www.homedepot.com/p/Master-F...ss-and-Mildew-Preventer-Strip-NMM50/100004640
I like this. Personally, I would like to keep Moss and mildew off of my body. Just another readonly people are more important than the environment in this case.

(Am I starting another wave of debate with this comment? Am I joking or not...?)

AbelowDS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I like this. Personally, I would like to keep Moss and mildew off of my body. Just another readonly people are more important than the environment in this case.

(Am I starting another wave of debate with this comment? Am I joking or not...?)

Sorry...autocorrect... "...another reason..."

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Done (Dave you anarchist! ;) )

For future reference, you can click EDIT and then just remove the link to the picture.

I was kidding... I guess LOL did not properly relay sarcasm. I need to work on that....That claim that I was promoting 'Down with Capitalism' based off a small sign in the crowd is like a hammer looking for a nail. Why not focus on the cute kid with the 'Children 4 Education' poster? Or my adorable wife flashing her 'hippie' peace signs?
Or is it political to be for education, science or peace? ;)

My point was that 'Scientists' can have different views/opinions - in fact it is imperative that they do for proper vetting (thus reason why scientific papers need to be peered reviewed). As long as Facts are considered (and not 'it is a fact I feel that way') - I am okay with differing opinions. In fact as a Scientist - I seek these out (or did up until 2 weeks ago...).

Peace... oops. I mean good luck... oops, I mean good science :D

@AbelowDS - the point about the sun shirts is that they offer better protect than sunscreens without the potential for harm (except the shirts are synthtic ;)). However, it is a fact that common sunscreen protection products are harmful to coral (algae) AND these levels can be measured in the water around the coral. I do think that coral bleaching due to water temperatures rising (fact) is likely a greater risk. But life is not black/white, and discounting one over the other is dangerous (scientifically).

Last edited:

fillde

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd like to add my 2 scoops, oops, I meant 2 cents. I observed a sign that was pretty obvious, advocating a different form of government we currently have. I didn't believe this was the correct forum to espouse that opinion. The moderators agreed.

So let's move on.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I'd like to add my 2 scoops, oops, I meant 2 cents. I observed a sign that was pretty obvious, advocating a different form of government we currently have. I didn't believe this was the correct forum to espouse that opinion. The moderators agreed.

So let's move on.
Perhaps you should have reported the post instead? Your post pointing out the infraction is just as much an infraction as the original post, no?

Last edited:

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx

The zinc basically kills plant organisms that create chlorophyll through photosynthesis. This occurs at a fairly low PPM level. Inhibiting photosynthesis in the ocean doesn't sound like a terribly good idea.

Zinc along with an oil on the skin probably isn't a high risk to humans.

My purpose of posting was just to point out that even the alternatives (zinc ointment) may not be without its own set of unique problems.