• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ko Olina dining and activities ?

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Yeah I got a last minute AC for Ko Olina on Friday and now I'm scrambling to plan our stay.
It's our first visit to Ko Olina and I'm very excited.

We're already booked at the Hilton Hawaiian Village but Ko Olina has been on my timeshare bucket list so we're going to spend two full resort days here this week. I decided to do Monday and Tuesday so we can catch the FIA FIA Luau on Tuesday (for the first timer in my group). I have a party of five adults.

I just need some help with a few questions
With multiple pools and hot tubs, is there a best pool area and hot tub?
Nearby Happy Hour drinks? Nearby Early bird specials?
Shade seated area are where at the resort?
Does the Marriott still have the no beach umbrellas Policy or has that changed since Aulani has them?
How is the KoOlina shuttle? http://koolina.com/holo-kaa-resort-shuttle/

I have dining options at the Marriott, Disney, Four Seasons, Roys and the Ko Olina Center & Station which has Moneypod. I'm only familiar with the Aulani restaurants so I'll have to read up on the reviews on the others. Any recommendations are welcomed.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Lots of shaded area around the pools. The pool you would like is the reflection pool if you dont have kids.

Did you get the 2br unit from may 6 to 13 that was available a couple days ago? I would love to meet up if you have some time at mko. Hope to see you here.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
The pool bar and longboards has happy hour drink and appetizer menu. Do happy hour at monkeypods as that will save you some money.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Thanks Frank

Yes, I booked the two bedroom on Friday, May 5th for a Saturday, May 6th checkin.
So far, the only plans I have at MKO is the Tuesday night Luau. I'll send you a PM.

taffy19

Reaction score
Please, let us know if you like the Luau? We saw the Chief at the Marine park and it was a lot of fun. It should be the same group.

travelgirl8

TUG Member
Reaction score
We went to Roy's and had a great time and the food was good. Happy hour was fun at Monkeypod and had good apps. We also took a Catamaran out of the boat dock right next to the Marriott Ko Olina. There were buy 1 get 1 free in the Entertainment book.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Please, let us know if you like the Luau? We saw the Chief at the Marine park and it was a lot of fun. It should be the same group.
Will do.

We saw the Chief during our first trip to Hawaii 17 years ago when he was performing at the Polynesian Cultural Center. My dad and stepmother will get a kick out of seeing him tomorrow night.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Phyllis,

I'm very happy for you that you will be visiting Ko Olina!!! It's a beautiful property and I believe you will enjoy it! I know you are a bit of a foodie and I think the on-site restaurant options will leave you a little underwhelmed. The pool bar by the Naia pool is a great place to have a happy hour cocktail, and Longboard's will meet your expectations as a beach bar and grill, but for the most part, we go off-site to have a nicer meal and you have already cited the available options.

Please let us know what you think of the property and enjoy your visit with your family! Did you really book this with an AC or was it a flex reservation? That's a great AC and I didn't realize Hawaii properties were accessible. Have fun!!

Best

Greg

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Hi Greg,

Thanks for the info. Yes, I booked it using an AC.

I really didn't know it was possible until I started paying attention to SUN STARVED GAYLE's chain threads on the sighting board (link). It looks like Hawaii becomes available via an AC a day or two before checkin but Gayle would know best she's been posting her observations for months.

I just used her technique (link) to see if I could get Ko Olina while I was on the island and it worked. :cheer:

Last edited:

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Hi Greg,

Thanks for the info. Yes, I booked it using an AC.

I really didn't know it was possible until I started paying attention to SUN STARVED GAYLE's chain threads on the sighting board (link). It looks like Hawaii becomes available via an AC a day or two before checkin but Gayle would know best she's been posting her observations for months.

I just used her technique (link) to see if I could get Ko Olina while I was on the island and it worked. :cheer:

Thank you for the heads up -- I will have to start paying better attention to that!!! Enjoy Ko Olina and please let us know where they put you!

Best,

Greg

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Definitely available via AC as i saw it using the same that morning. Pretty good deal for i think $283 and some change for a week.

They only available a couple days before check in. Had experience seeing a 1br five days with a deposit. That same week using an AC was not showing up.

Bill4728

Reaction score
Roy's may not seem like a great location ( it is on the golf course) BUT a very nice place, good food and wonderful service.

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1
Roy's may not seem like a great location (it is on the golf course) BUT a very nice place, good food and wonderful service.
Roy's used to be our favorite, but during our most recent visit last month, we felt like the food had declined while the prices had increased. We won't be going back.

Monkeypod is our new favorite (take your Marriott discount card for a free dessert).

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Aloha,

Met TUG Members Frank (frank808) and Mike (mjm1) last night. It was nice meeting you guys.

I love the Marriott Ko Olina. It's a true beachfront destination resort. Marriott has done an excellent job with this location. I would love to return here in the future (maybe adding a few nights at the Hilton in Waikiki before or after our Marriott Ko Olina stay).

I booked two rooms at KoOlina using two free ACs that I received with each of my II accounts. I found both while searching online and I saw both a day or two before checkin. One was a Friday checkin and the other was a Saturday checkin but I called the resort to let them know I would be arriving on Monday instead. And since I was only planning to stay for a few nights, I didn't bother making a room request. One two bedroom had a ocean view code (HTBOV) and the other two bedroom had a mountain viewcode (HTOVI). TUG member Frank808 said the room codes starting with the letter "H" are developer deposits.

When I checked in, the front desk indicated that both rooms were in the same tower which I was very grateful. However the front desk went on to say that one had a great ocean view while the other had a bad view (parking lot view). He explained that he couldn't change the room assignment category (mountain vs ocean).

Both rooms were in the Hale Nai'a Tower. Both assigned rooms were dedicated two bedrooms. The mountain view room was on the third floor. Lol, I was expecting a view overlooking the parking lot not a view looking directly into the parking deck. It's an awful view. As soon as you walked into the room you see the parking deck. I was certainly ok with it because it was a great last minute deal. And at least I now know what I could expect in the future if I receive an exchange with a mountain view code at Ko Olina. On the other hand the ocean view was a fantastic view on the seventh floor. It was very interesting to see the two extreme views Ko Olina offers.

Mahalo :hi:

Last edited:

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Aloha,

Met TUG Members Frank (frank808) and Mike (mjm1) last night. It was nice meeting you guys.

I love the Marriott Ko Olina. It's a true beachfront destination resort. Marriott has done an excellent job with this location. I would love to return here in the future (maybe adding a few nights at the Hilton in Waikiki before or after our Marriott Ko Olina stay).

I booked two rooms at KoOlina using two free ACs that I received with each of my II accounts. I found both while searching online and I saw both a day or two before checkin. One was a Friday checkin and the other was a Saturday checkin but I called the resort to let them know I would be arriving on Monday instead. And since I was only planning to stay for a few nights, I didn't bother making a room request. One two bedroom had a ocean view code (HTBOV) and the other two bedroom had a mountain viewcode (HTOVI). TUG member Frank808 said the room codes starting with the letter "H" are developer deposits.

When I checked in, the front desk indicated that both rooms were in the same tower which I was very grateful. However the front desk went on to say that one had a great ocean view while the other had a bad view (parking lot view). He explained that he couldn't change the room assignment category (mountain vs ocean).

Both rooms were in the Hale Nai'a Tower. Both assigned rooms were dedicated two bedrooms. The mountain view room was on the third floor. Lol, I was expecting a view overlooking the parking lot not a view looking directly into the parking deck. It's an awful view. As soon as you walked into the room you see the parking deck. I was certainly ok with it because it was a great last minute deal. And at least I now know what I could expect in the future if I receive an exchange with a mountain view code at Ko Olina. On the other hand the ocean view was a fantastic view on the seventh floor. It was very interesting to see the two extreme views Ko Olina offers.

Mahalo :hi:

Phyllis,

I'm glad you are enjoying your trip to Ko Olina -- let me know if you would like a return trip and I'm sure we can find a way to get space for you. If you can post a picture of the 7th floor view, I would love to see it! Have fun!

Best,

Greg

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nice meeting and talking with you, your husband and mike. Loved all you experiences with europe and the tips for spain.

Glad you like the resort as it is a nice retreat from the chaos of waikiki. Though staying at hhv does have its perks for staying in the middle of the city. Can't beat hhv for the access to dining, shopping, central location, etc. The high parking fees does make it somewhat of a nuisance. Thanks for the tip about parking in the open lot. Will definitely pay for that when we goto Hokulani and not have to pay the $39 a day valet charge.

You got a great assignment for the oceanview! The low floor for the other room has been my typical experience. The codes for your room were for dedicated 2br non lockoffs so the rooms would have been in Naia tower.

Enjoy your stay and have a great time at the Fia Fia luau tonight. Hope to see you guys again in 2019 when you arrive to your home at lagoon. And mike keep in touch and we can meet up next year. To my fellow tuggers have a great vacation and safe trip back to the mainland United States. A hui hou!

dualrated2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina, Waiohai, Grand Chateau, Desert Springs Villas, Willow Ridge
Would the open parking lot be for the Hale Koa or something else?

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
I'm glad you are enjoying your trip to Ko Olina -- let me know if you would like a return trip and I'm sure we can find a way to get space for you. If you can post a picture of the 7th floor view, I would love to see it! Have fun!

Thanks Greg

Here's our 7th floor view from the Hale Nai'a Tower. We're at the end closest to the ocean.

34518507176_75b21eec0a_z_d.jpg

34429436561_0b29d90a20_z_d.jpg

34518469956_df43ec066c_z_d.jpg

34559706445_af02d138cc_z_d.jpg

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Phyllis and Frank, I enjoyed meeting with both of you last night. It's great sharing experiences in person with fellow Tigers.

Phyllis, your room might be right below ours. If not, it is very close. Enjoy your day today and Fia Fia tonight, as well as your time at HHV.

Best regards.

Mike

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Thanks Greg

Here's our 7th floor view from the Hale Nai'a Tower. We're at the end closest to the ocean.

Looks like a great MKO view, especially given it was obtained via an II AC! Congrats. I'd take that view even if I was an MKO OV owner.

I think I would personally rather face that North direction looking at Nai'a Lagood vs South towards the harbor. Being closer to the lagoons is nice also...vs being set back so far...like many of the other MKO villas. Thanks for the photos!

taffy19

Reaction score
Looks like a great MKO view, especially given it was obtained via an II AC! Congrats. I'd take that view even if I was an MKO OV owner.

I think I would personally rather face that North direction looking at Nai'a Lagood vs South towards the harbor. Being closer to the lagoons is nice also...vs being set back so far...like many of the other MKO villas. Thanks for the photos!
It certainly is and it is a beautiful resort and didn't feel confined and crowded like it did next door at the Aulani but the children love it and the lobby is beautiful.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Here's the mountain view (aka parking deck view) from the two bedroom on the 3rd floor of the Hale Nai'a Tower. It faces directly into the Valet Parking area.

34527254936_93192bb269_z_d.jpg

34406537322_595a30a033_z_d.jpg

33725456004_2bb9abc3bb_z_d.jpg

34438036981_c13daa4703_z_d.jpg

34527238776_1ea60bd00a_z_d.jpg

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have always wanted to visit Hawaii and I know most of the time we would be at the pool or on the beach or touring the beautiful islands, but the thought of travelling half way round the world from the UK for a unit with a parking deck view would be disappointment beyond words.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

Yes everyone enjoyed the Fia Fia Luau. It was very good. I would definitely recommend it.

34407134722_11b5bbb544_z_d.jpg
34407135412_fb879f89c3_z_d.jpg

Last edited:

Bill4728

Reaction score
We ate at the restaurant at the main bldg when there in Dec 2016 WE did it the night of the Beatles tribute band concert on the lawn right in front of the restaurant so good food and free concert.