• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

email just received - Important Updates to Your CLUB WYNDHAM Plus Program Guidelines

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Maybe I misread in the past but how many guest certificates does platinum VIP get each year? I was thinking it was unlimited.

It was unlimited as some point for Platinum at least, but we lost that in the last big round of changes.

nicemann

TUG Member
Reaction score
It was unlimited as some point for Platinum at least, but we lost that in the last big round of changes.

Yeah I was reading some old information out there. Thanks to Jan and yourself for the clarification.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
If we can no longer pull points from future years this will also eliminate selling stripped contracts right?

exactly right

you could of course use all your 2018 points for January reservations and sell sometime late 2017, so settlement would happen in February... That way the buyer would only get the 2019 and 2020 points.. so partially stripped

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
No not yet. But I don't think any limit on contracts is listed in the directories

No, but isn't there already (or was at one time recently) a 40 contract limit? I'm guessing @ronparise would know.

I'm not sure that's really something that would be listed in the directory.

spackler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Quarter House, Jean Lafitte House, Bali Hai
exactly right

you could of course use all your 2018 points for January reservations and sell sometime late 2017, so settlement would happen in February... That way the buyer would only get the 2019 and 2020 points.. so partially stripped

Why wait? Book Jan/Feb reservations right now, sell contract immediately. Contract settles in August; but seller still keeps early '18 reservations.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
So is the 10 contracts per membership not even addressed in this huge change?

I'm not sure this is something they would put in the directory. And as they don't even have a launch date yet who is to say they are done rolling out changes. I doubt there are many Wyndham owners who have 10 direct sale contracts in their accounts and I can't see Wyndham being concerned with the fate of resale owners as Wyndham doesn't make money off them.

Since I first read the post about the 10 contract limit I've wondered if having a large number of contracts in one account might have something to do with why some people have points appearing and disappearing in their accounts. Is it more than the system can handle resulting in points accounting problems?

I can see advantages to Wyndham sales if they impose a 10 contract limit. Say you have 7 or 8 smaller contracts at various resorts. You go to an update and the sales person tells you about the rule and that for a minimum purchase costing you only this much we can "fix" your account. Many of us have experienced the sales people offering to "fix' issues with our accounts in the updates so we know just how the spiel goes. They take back however many of your contracts/deeds and roll them over into one new bigger contract/deed and you go merrily on your way having "only" spent $10-$15k more and getting maybe 105k more points.

As Ron said it is easy for them to identify the accounts with more than 10 contracts in them, set those accounts up for review and handle them on an individual basis like they've done with the frozen accounts.

Lita

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes

they have

it hasnt ended your familiy reunions... but it will cost another guest confirm...

I don't know about your family reunions, but I will frequently plan for three to four units with a large family several times year. That's why I built my ownership to Platinum level. This is taking away the benefits upon which I chose to do so. It frequently happens that someone ends up with a work emergency or other "life" emergency and I have to make last minutes changes on a reservation. If I must use one guest confirmation for each unit I book over the first, then one when I finally confirm whose going and then make additional changes nearer to the time of travel, I could easily end up using three guest confirmations for each unit. I am a single person with a large family. This is definitely taking away a primary benefit for VIP members.

This also puts single VIP members at a disadvantage over VIP memberships with multiple owners. Single VIP members will now have a lower class of membership and forced to waste more guest certificates because these isn't multiple owners.

Last edited:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, the new 14 day long reservation will be interesting as to how that will work at the OLD fixed week resorts. I don't think guests who book 14 day stay will understand WHY they are "homeless" during their reservation. (Homeless means changing units .. esp true at the older deeded fixed week units .. as fixed week owners get real UNHAPPPY if their yearly unit is occupied.)

Lita

TUG Member
Reaction score
It also means no more booking several small units and several big units at the 10 and 13 month windows to be able to cancel and rebook them to get the discount and free upgrades when your discount window hits to make sure you end up with as many units as you want in case you lose one or two in the cancel and rebook process. There are a lot of VIP owners who do that and it ties up a lot of inventory that they have no intention of using. This solution addresses the non VIP owners complaints about VIP owners abuses in manipulating the system in ways Wyndham never intended. Yes I know the sales people are the ones who taught us to do it.

This is exactly the benefit upon which I suspect many VIP owners purchased additional points to get to VIP level. It's not hurting anyone. In fact, knowing that people do this in the 60 day window enables me to book most of my vacations at 60 days out for half the cost of a unit. Many times I can then upgrade that to a larger unit closer to the date in question people cancel before the 15 day window.

What this change is doing will do more damage to those of us that try to plan multiple family vacations through the year.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ron what about if you used your ARP for multiple reservations? I would think if you own deeded rights at a resort they can't restrict use.

The 10 nightly limit has an exception for ARP but I don't see anything about the new guest policy

hiserman79

Reaction score
Credit pool loss sucks, don't like reservation for every transaction because I often end up with split reservations for some reason so I assume I'll have 2 transactions for one stay when this happens. I've never switched rooms so I wonder if along with house keeping credits will they refund the the 2nd transaction fee if no room switch.
Other than than that looks like some panic gonna get me another contract off eBay pretty cheap soon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any day check in might eliminate some split reservations.

Being able to make a reservation for more than 7 days might save some transactions also

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any day check in might eliminate some split reservations.

Being able to make a reservation for more than 7 days might save some transactions also

How would a future upgrade work reservations that check in any day and for more then 7 nights. Not likely a Tuesday until the following Friday will become available all at once. How many unit/nights will be empty because people originally book 14 nights but ultimately decide to use less? Will the 48 hour no show rule still apply when the resort is oversold and wanting to steal units? The sorry I do not see it noted on the reservation that the guest would be arriving late. The stay has been cancelled and cannot be reinstated. Who did you speak with on the phone?

It was great Wyndham has been spending so much time on this instead of working to unlock my accounts over the last 8 months.

These changes are not good for most owners but with every other change I will find away to adapt and continue to rent units at a profit.

The $99 guest fee was an added and outrageous expense but it only forced me to rent larger units with free upgrades from the smaller units. That was an eye opener at the time and has worked out overall. I estimate I have paid well into the 6 figures for guest confirmations though.

Once again this goes to show that timeshares are rarely a good purchase as management can change the rules at anytime. They can do it to benefit one set of owners or another or even (mostly) themselves. Its the unceartainity of it all that should keep buyers away. This also helps my business as people would rather rent then own.

famy27

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, I am trying to figure out how this is actually going to play out with the 48 hour GC add when the system goes live. They are just going to send an email and then, if you have overlapping reservations don't add a guest cert in 48 hours, they will just cancel one or both? I can imagine there are lots of owners who don't read every Wyndham email (even if it says "IMPORTANT! READ OR DIE!"), and I think they will probably be very displeased to find out that their family reunion reservations made months ago just disappeared.

I will be watching my email carefully and will be ready to snag the cancelled reservations, if I can get anything for the summer within driving distance.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
I don't know about your family reunions, but I will frequently plan for three to four units with a large family several times year. That's why I built my ownership to Platinum level. This is taking away the benefits upon which I chose to do so. It frequently happens that someone ends up with a work emergency or other "life" emergency and I have to make last minutes changes on a reservation. If I must use one guest confirmation for each unit I book over the first, then one when I finally confirm whose going and then make additional changes nearer to the time of travel, I could easily end up using three guest confirmations for each unit. I am a single person with a large family. This is definitely taking away a primary benefit for VIP members.

Is there anyone in your family whose name or names you would consider adding to your deeds? If something were to happen to you who would you want your ownership to go to? How about setting up a family trust? That would give you multiple owners and you can make a reservation in each one of their names. You wouldn't have to give them access to the account, however it would make them responsible for the maintenance fees if some day you end up the crazy old lady who lets the mail pile up and quits paying her bills.

Another possible solution is if you have one couple that you know you can count on to be able to go on the vacation you're planning then you could list each of them as the guest covering two reservations and a third reservation would be in your name. At check in they can have whoever is actually staying in the other unit give their credit card for the security deposit. And at check in they would list the names of the people staying in that unit so they can all get keys.

I dislike thinking of you stressing and upset about this. There are solutions, alternative ways to make it work for you and I hope we can help you find them. There was something with Wyndham that really upset me a few years ago. I usually get over things quickly but this one really got to me. A timeshare acquaintance advised me to either let it go and not let it ruin our enjoyment of using the timeshare or to walk away from the timeshare. No way I wanted to give up the timeshare so I took his advice and let it go. In our stays since then we have encountered people who didn't let it go. They let their issue/problem poison their ability to enjoy using their timeshare and I saw how easily that could have been me.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is there anyone in your family whose name or names you would consider adding to your deeds? If something were to happen to you who would you want your ownership to go to? How about setting up a family trust? That would give you multiple owners and you can make a reservation in each one of their names. You wouldn't have to give them access to the account, however it would make them responsible for the maintenance fees if some day you end up the crazy old lady who lets the mail pile up and quits paying her bills.

Another possible solution is if you have one couple that you know you can count on to be able to go on the vacation you're planning then you could list each of them as the guest covering two reservations and a third reservation would be in your name. At check in they can have whoever is actually staying in the other unit give their credit card for the security deposit. And at check in they would list the names of the people staying in that unit so they can all get keys.

I dislike thinking of you stressing and upset about this. There are solutions, alternative ways to make it work for you and I hope we can help you find them. There was something with Wyndham that really upset me a few years ago. I usually get over things quickly but this one really got to me. A timeshare acquaintance advised me to either let it go and not let it ruin our enjoyment of using the timeshare or to walk away from the timeshare. No way I wanted to give up the timeshare so I took his advice and let it go. In our stays since then we have encountered people who didn't let it go. They let their issue/problem poison their ability to enjoy using their timeshare and I saw how easily that could have been me.

Why should be we have to go through all these hoops after paying tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars upfront and then thousands of dollars a year afterwards? Some resorts only will allow the person whose name the room is under add their credit card at check in.

wed100105

TUG Member
Reaction score
What ag
So, I am trying to figure out how this is actually going to play out with the 48 hour GC add when the system goes live. They are just going to send an email and then, if you have overlapping reservations don't add a guest cert in 48 hours, they will just cancel one or both? I can imagine there are lots of owners who don't read every Wyndham email (even if it says "IMPORTANT! READ OR DIE!"), and I think they will probably be very displeased to find out that their family reunion reservations made months ago just disappeared.

I will be watching my email carefully and will be ready to snag the cancelled reservations, if I can get anything for the summer within driving distance.

I asked this question point-blank to the vacation guide today. He said we would get advanced notice. I said, "Like the advanced notice I received that I would no longer be able to credit pool my 2019 points?" He said, "yes." Ugh! Don't count on advanced notice.

I had several dells reservations for the end of May, and I went ahead and resented them out today and got guest confirmations on them. Most of them were not upgrades, and in the past I have seen a ton of availability open up once it got closer. I just adjusted my price accordingly. I didn't want to risk losing them.

Lita

TUG Member
Reaction score

Adding a name makes them financially responsible for the MFs. I don't intend to force this on any family member. My plan was to set up a trust, but at this point no one is interested in taking on the MF obligation. While they do share in the costs of MFs when they use the unit, taking on the obligation is a much bigger decision.

I did attach Pathways to a contract. I am hoping that will still be available in some form when I choose to exit. Luckily I bought most of my points from Wyndham as foreclosure units or units that had been abandoned at greatly reduced prices.

I am hoping that Wyndham will see that this sets up smaller families as lessor owners with lessor benefits than memberships with more members. It is an unfair reduction of benefits to those with smaller family ownership.

Last edited:

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
How would a future upgrade work reservations that check in any day and for more then 7 nights. Not likely a Tuesday until the following Friday will become available all at once. How many unit/nights will be empty because people originally book 14 nights but ultimately decide to use less? Will the 48 hour no show rule still apply when the resort is oversold and wanting to steal units? The sorry I do not see it noted on the reservation that the guest would be arriving late. The stay has been cancelled and cannot be reinstated. Who did you speak with on the phone?

It was great Wyndham has been spending so much time on this instead of working to unlock my accounts over the last 8 months.

These changes are not good for most owners but with every other change I will find away to adapt and continue to rent units at a profit.

The $99 guest fee was an added and outrageous expense but it only forced me to rent larger units with free upgrades from the smaller units. That was an eye opener at the time and has worked out overall. I estimate I have paid well into the 6 figures for guest confirmations though.

Once again this goes to show that timeshares are rarely a good purchase as management can change the rules at anytime. They can do it to benefit one set of owners or another or even (mostly) themselves. Its the unceartainity of it all that should keep buyers away. This also helps my business as people would rather rent then own.

You are correct about the upgrade on split reservations being a big issue. No one wants to move units because part of their stay got upgraded and the other part didn't. So owners will have to use more points to get the larger unit you really want and need.

I speculated months ago that anything they did would end up forcing owners to use more points and increase sales for Wyndham. I'm not saying that some changes weren't needed. Just that Wyndham is in business like any other business to make money. When the people at the top sit down with their people and ask what is the single biggest problem we face in increasing our revenues. Every single time the answer is going to be what the sales people hear over and over. Why should I buy when I can rent from an owner or why would I buy from you when I can buy resale for a fraction of the cost?

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why should be we have to go through all these hoops after paying tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars upfront and then thousands of dollars a year afterwards? Some resorts only will allow the person whose name the room is under add their credit card at check in.
Because some individuals have setup commercial rental businesses and Wyndham feels the need to stop them

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
yep, that is the conversation I had with Wyndham last week. They are tightening the rules on everyone to cut down on uses and abuses, when most of us are NOT abusing but we are getting the punishment for it anyway.

Joe33426

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cove at Yarmouth, Star Island, La Belle Maison, Grand Desert, and Bali Hai Villas
Well, the new 14 day long reservation will be interesting as to how that will work at the OLD fixed week resorts. I don't think guests who book 14 day stay will understand WHY they are "homeless" during their reservation. (Homeless means changing units .. esp true at the older deeded fixed week units .. as fixed week owners get real UNHAPPPY if their yearly unit is occupied.)

I looked at the 14 day thing again, because that's appealing for us. We really like having extra days at the end and beginning of our vacations, so we can check right in the day we arrive (check-in a day late) and linger if we have to on the final day (check out a day early).

There is a asterisk on the 14 days saying that 14 day reservations may not be available at certain resorts and that check-in days may be fixed at certain resorts. I'm sure for resorts originally sold as fixed weeks that 14-day reservations or mid-week check-in won't be available, but for resorts sold purely as UDI, that really shouldn't be a problem.

Any ideas when this will go live?

I just took screen captures of my current point status and current reservations just in case....