• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

email just received - Important Updates to Your CLUB WYNDHAM Plus Program Guidelines

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes
No one may like the credit pool change but I understand why the change was made.

Mega renter had 200 million points in multiple accounts. He passes away and used 3 years of points. Who pays the MFs. No heir wants the liability. Estate is probably not liable. Their account is current on MFs. Estate not liable for future bills not billed prior to owner passing.

Somebody knows they are going to file bankruptcy . So credit pool points to take a big vacation. Probably still owes on the original points. Wyndam or us owners stuck with the foreclosure and MFs.

I'm sure Wyndham has already been exposed to some of this.
they have
That is exactly right. I called and confirmed I could not have duplicate reservations for more than 48 hours from initial confirmation. As I posted above, I sent this complaint using the online system. Have not yet gotten a response:

"I was very disappointed to learn about the changes to the system for guest confirmations. You have ruined my ability to plan family vacations and destroyed any reason for me to continue to be a Club Wyndham Platinum member.

I plan family vacations for myself and my relatives in advance, especially in hard to book locations a year in advance - sometimes longer than that using advance reservations. At that point in time I have no idea of who in the family may be able to come and don't actually put in guest names until the last minute because there are always last minute emergencies that require changes. I always add the guest reservation before the date based on prior rules.

You have killed my ability to plan these family vacations with the new guest confirmation policies. There is no longer any reason for me to maintain a Platinum membership and I will plan to give up my membership as soon as possible using my contract."

I was able to put some reservations in my co-owners name to avoid all family vacations from being destroyed completely.

it hasnt ended your familiy reunions... but it will cost another guest confirm...

nicemann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe I misread in the past but how many guest certificates does platinum VIP get each year? I was thinking it was unlimited.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't see anything that says you can't borrow points from the next use year.
No, you still can. But borrowing is quite limited. During the Standard window, you can only borrow points up to a portion of the last night's stay. In the Express window, you can borrow as much as you want.

I can't see how any upgrades will be available.
Take a deep breath, and lets see what happens. It is too soon to speculate. But, at the very least, upgrades will be available in the situations in which they were originally intended---resorts with excess inventory close to check-in date.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
The new guest confirmation rules are not only bad for people renting, they also kill the ability for everyone to plan family vacations. I just sent this comment to Wyndham. Others may want to do the same. They sometimes listen if enough members complain. Here is what I sent by comment:

"I was very disappointed to learn about the changes to the system for guest confirmations. You have ruined my ability to plan family vacations and destroyed any reason for me to continue to be a Club Wyndham Platinum member.

I plan family vacations for myself and my relatives in advance, especially in hard to book locations a year in advance - sometimes longer than that using advance reservations. At that point in time I have no idea of who in the family may be able to come and don't actually put in guest names until the last minute because there are always last minute emergencies that require changes. I always add the guest reservation before the date based on prior rules.

You have killed my ability to plan these family vacations with the new guest confirmation policies. There is no longer any reason for me to maintain a Platinum membership and I will plan to give up my membership as soon as possible using my contract stipulations."

I'm guessing they will tell you that is why as a platinum owner you get 15 free guest confirmations per 1M points. You will be required to use your free guest confirmations and you will have to use another one or pay for additional ones if your free ones have all been used to change the name on the reservations if your relatives plans change. Wyndham isn't going to back down or change anything because you or any other owners aren't happy. I have to say I'm really surprised that Wyndham is making all these different changes. They seem to have put some real thought into how to improve things for the bulk of the owners while putting a stop to the mega renters and hindering the point managers in a big way too.

While I don't have to like the changes I do understand why the changes they are instituting have become necessary. They are not just to put a stop to the mega renters and point managers who book up the best reservations in the prime weeks making it hard for the bulk of owners to get stays. It also means that owners who book multiple units and sit on them until "the last minute in case plans change" won't be able to hoard inventory. You can book a stay for yourself and if you want to also book additional units for friends or family you need to have a commitment from them or waste a guest confirmation. It also means no more booking several small units and several big units at the 10 and 13 month windows to be able to cancel and rebook them to get the discount and free upgrades when your discount window hits to make sure you end up with as many units as you want in case you lose one or two in the cancel and rebook process. There are a lot of VIP owners who do that and it ties up a lot of inventory that they have no intention of using. This solution addresses the non VIP owners complaints about VIP owners abuses in manipulating the system in ways Wyndham never intended. Yes I know the sales people are the ones who taught us to do it.

Last edited:

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Maybe I misread in the past but how many guest certificates does platinum VIP get each year? I was thinking it was unlimited.

Complimentary Guest Confirmations for Platinum owners
  • Receive complimentary Guest Confirmations each calendar year to share with family and friends.
15 per 1,000,000 eligible points

Bigrob

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing they will tell you that is why as a platinum owner you get 15 free guest confirmations per 1M points. You will be required to use your free guest confirmations and you will have to use another one or pay for additional ones if your free ones have all been used to change the name on the reservations if your relatives plans change. Wyndham isn't going to back down or change anything because you or any other owners aren't happy. I have to say I'm really surprised that Wyndham is making all these different changes. They seem to have put some real thought into how to improve things for the bulk of the owners while putting a stop to the mega renters and hindering the point managers in a big way too.

I do understand why the changes they are instituting have become necessary. They are not just to put a stop to the mega renters and point managers who book up the best reservations in the prime weeks making it hard for the bulk of owners to get stays. It also means that that owners who book multiple units and sit on them until "the last minute in case plans change" won't be able to hoard inventory. You can book a stay for yourself and if you want to also book additional units for friends or family you need to have a commitment from them or waste a guest confirmation. It also means no more booking several small units and several big units at the 10 and 13 month windows to be able to cancel and rebook them to get the discount and free upgrades when your discount window hits to make sure you end up with as many units as you want in case you lose one or two in the cancel and rebook process. There are a lot of VIP owners who do that and it ties up a lot of inventory that they have no intention of using. This solution addresses the non VIP owners complaints about VIP owners abuses in manipulating the system in ways Wyndham never intended. Yes I know the sales people are the ones who taught us to do it.

wed100105

TUG Member
Reaction score
No, you still can. But borrowing is quite limited. During the Standard window, you can only borrow points up to a portion of the last night's stay. In the Express window, you can borrow as much as you want.

Take a deep breath, and lets see what happens. It is too soon to speculate. But, at the very least, upgrades will be available in the situations in which they were originally intended---resorts with excess inventory close to check-in date.

Thanks Brian for being a voice of reason---as usual. :) I figure I'll enjoy my HHI Royal Dunes week more regularly. <3

Bigrob

TUG Member
Reaction score
They seem to have put some real thought into how to improve things for the bulk of the owners while putting a stop to the mega renters and hindering the point managers in a big way too.

Actually points managers are the ones best able to work around the new rules. With hundreds of accounts to choose from it is easy to avoid having overlapping reservations in the same (single) account... just move on to the next account.

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
We will hardly ever use the auto upgrade box. I enjoy sitting outside drinking coffee in the morning and a drink in the evening.
The last thing I want is an upgrade at Bonnet Creek taking my fireworks- lake view to no fireworks - parking garage view.

These changes are here for awhile. Wyndham isn't going to change back in a week. Everyone needs to see how they play out. Your complaints today probably meet the delete tab

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Complimentary Guest Confirmations for Platinum owners
  • Receive complimentary Guest Confirmations each calendar year to share with family and friends.
15 per 1,000,000 eligible points

actually the way it works out is that if you have exactly one million points you get 15, but if you have 1,000,001 points you get 30. then at 2,000,001 you would get 45

so if I use my points for high value weekends (at Labelle Maison 4 nights in a studio is 89000 points), my 2 million point account will get 22 reservations. so I would have enough guest confirms to blow 2 on each reservation

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Mega rentors held mf's down thru use

Puts mega rentors out of business and will leave many popular resorts with unused inventory

I believe those statements to be false. Unused inventory doesn't cost owners anything. On the other hand resorts that are heavily used and favored by the mega renters and point managers have higher operating and replacement costs. The used unit incurs more electric and water usage so higher utility bills. Heavily used resorts require more refurbishing and replacement. The pools and common areas need more upkeep, replacement, etc. from heavier usage. All those little bottles of shampoo, soaps, rolls of paper towels, etc. aren't free. And who pays for all of these different expenses? The owners at those resorts do in their maintenance fees. Does a single penny go into the coffers at their resorts from all the rentals to offset the higher expenses of the heavy usage? No. There are no bonuses awarded nor compensation given to resorts from Wyndham's pockets because a lot of units get occupied.

md8287

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba, Harborside Atlantis & Westin Lagunamar
You might run in to a problem if your check out in Las Vegas is on Friday, and you booked the checkin in Sedona for Thursday (unless you have multiple owners on the account traveling with you and selected the other owner).
So I'm newer Platinum level owner so this might have been something I missed before but when referring to overlapping reservations I ASSUMED it meant at same resort. Like with Westin once I had a res ending on Friday in Bahamas and another starting day before in Cancun as we took my parents away and from there my wife and I went to Cancun. That's an overlap and I have to put a guest cert on one?

md8287

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba, Harborside Atlantis & Westin Lagunamar
so if I use my points for high value weekends (at Labelle Maison 4 nights in a studio is 89000 points), my 2 million point account will get 22 reservations. so I would have enough guest confirms to blow 2 on each reservation
So I used to be able to have 10 overlapping reservations in my name but now I can only have 1? But if I assign a guest certificate (real end renter or not) I can have as many as I want (but pay guest cert fee)?

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
So I'm newer Platinum level owner so this might have been something I missed before but when referring to overlapping reservations I ASSUMED it meant at same resort. Like with Westin once I had a res ending on Friday in Bahamas and another starting day before in Cancun as we took my parents away and from there my wife and I went to Cancun. That's an overlap and I have to put a guest cert on one?

I wouldnt assume that... The current rule say you cant have overlapping reservations inside 15 days without a guest confirm and it means at any resort

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
So I used to be able to have 10 overlapping reservations in my name but now I can only have 1? But if I assign a guest certificate (real end renter or not) I can have as many as I want (but pay guest cert fee)?

I think we are still subject to the 10 nightly limit rule

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
No one may like the credit pool change but I understand why the change was made.

Mega renter had 200 million points in multiple accounts. He passes away and used 3 years of points. Who pays the MFs. No heir wants the liability. Estate is probably not liable. Their account is current on MFs. Estate not liable for future bills not billed prior to owner passing.

Somebody knows they are going to file bankruptcy . So credit pool points to take a big vacation. Probably still owes on the original points. Wyndam or us owners stuck with the foreclosure and MFs.

I'm sure Wyndham has already been exposed to some of this.

That was my business plan. Buy a contract, credit pool 3 years points, make reservations and rent them out... the following year I would credit pool one year out and use those points>>>so in my first year of ownership I would make a ton of money and then just break even for the rest of my life... To make money in the second year Id buy more points and do it again

I was aked more than once what my exit plan was... The answer is Im gonna die

dcdowden

TUG Member
Reaction score
I registered for the preview site last September when I got my first email from Wyndham describing it. I logged on today to check it out, and there was so specific ownership info related to my account. Just my name and security info. I didn't even see my account number anywhere. I called a VC and they said not to worry - it will all be uploaded before the new system goes on-line.

With the ability to make ARP reservations on-line coming, I also asked how would someone make a request to reserve a specific unit - which is something we have been doing for over ten years as a Plat VIP benefit. The VC said that was a good question - she said that there would be a way to add specific requests to your reservation, but didn't know how those requests would be handled.
Doug

WhiskeyJack

TUG Member
Reaction score
So what is the definition of an overlapping reservation? I have several owners listed on my account. I believe that if I have multiple reservations with overlapping dates that these reservation would not be subject to cancellation, as long as each had a different owner attached to the reservation. Does this seem correct?

antjmar

Reaction score
That is exactly right. I called and confirmed I could not have duplicate reservations for more than 48 hours from initial confirmation. As I posted above, I sent this complaint using the online system. Have not yet gotten a response:

If you have two names on account can you have 2 units?
Does this apply to ARP?

I might just have to unconvert my weeks back to fixed weeks...

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Well to be on the safe side I pooled by 2018 points. I didn't ask about 2019, but the document was pretty specific, not 2019 Pooling, so I don't bother asking.

As most here gripe, I too concur that the loss of the pool is a big ouch. The Pooled points option basically gave you a 5+ year window access to points, as we are given a current plus 2 year view of points. You could have pooled points for the 2 years prior to the currently UY and still had them available to book anything AND you could have also pooled current year, plus 2 additional years out. So you could have ended up with 5 years worth of points available to do any booking, even during STANDARD reservation period. So again Pooled as envisioned and pool as being used ended up as 2 different things. It is that unintended consequences issues. Let's face it that was an extremely generous approach compared to other systems.

So now Wyndham is doing more like what my HGVC and HICV has in some sort of way, but with a twist. HGVC you pay to move them 1 additional Year, but 1 yr is the max, however you can borrow them back for no costs for anything this year. So in HGVC system is it cheaper to always be in borrow mode not in save mode. HICV you automatically get a FREE roll over to the next year, so you have to do nothing, and pay nothing to roll. You can then extend them but you start to pay hefty fees to move them some additional time. But with HICV they allow you to borrow, but they charge you per 1000 points borrowed. So it is not great to be in a borrow position, but it is free to roll over. So with HICV it is always cheaper to be in save mode. So both of these approaches makes points available NOW and NEXT year, with some costs associated with it. But both end up with a completely opposite approach to minimize costs.

So Wyndham's twist. You can move them out more than 1 year, say 2 Years. But NOW you have lost the ability to use them for anything EXCEPT to borrow during Express season. So a more restrictive in usage, but more flexible in depositing or saving and you can pick the year you want. So it makes planning a little more difficult, but it is flexible, perhaps too flexible. But it is more in line with what other systems allow you to do. We will just have to find the Wyndham sweet spot.

I can also see why the refund for cash on rented points has come into play. Before it gave you flexibility to rent points, cancel and then do anything else you wanted with those points. So although Wyndham gives up revenue by refunding the rental, they curb abuse of those rental points being used for other purposes.

Again I can complain about some of the things that Wyndham does, but I can also understand that, as compared with other systems, they were very generous with some of the features, and generous in a way that people could take advance of it for FAR MORE than Wyndham ever intended. Again back to that Unintended Consequences.

It will change the way I act but only in a minor way, I was not one to automatically pool my points. I would say that 85% of my bookings are in the Express Reservation Window anyway. I don't really try to hold units on speculation to rent them out. So it did not impact me as much as it might impact others. But I will be required to adjust my behavior for sure.

And just because VIP upgrades are now suppose to be automatic, it does not mean that people will still not go out and cancel and rebook, to get a cheaper unit during the upgrade window. Only time will tell, I actually think that some of these changes will make more units available NOT LESS.

Last edited:

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
So what is the definition of an overlapping reservation? I have several owners listed on my account. I believe that if I have multiple reservations with overlapping dates that these reservation would not be subject to cancellation, as long as each had a different owner attached to the reservation. Does this seem correct?

I think that is correct.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +

Yes I believe you are correct, just book a unit with a different owner name, no GC charged. Useful if you have a lot of names listed under your account.

asreiter

TUG Member
Reaction score
If we can no longer pull points from future years this will also eliminate selling stripped contracts right?

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
So is the 10 contracts per membership not even addressed in this huge change?