• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

So Begins Flying Nightmare

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Also if there is a schedule change CHECK the flights. The computer will reschedule you if there are cancellations or changes. But it is not always as smart as it should be.

I have had the computer automatically book me an outbound connecting flight that LEFT BEFORE my inbound flight arrived.

I have had computer push my connecting time to the next day because of loads, allowable connecting times, and flight schedule changes. If the NEW schedule does NOT work, call. ASAP to fix it at NO charge. I have discussed having them refund my ticket because that wasn't going to work, but that conversation often seems to assist them in finding a solution.

This works great for reward tickets too. I have booked the cheap miles awards as soon as they become available, I pick an acceptable routing that has cheap miles, even if it is not optimal. There is a really go chance the schedule will change. Hopefully you can use that schedule change to your advantage.

I cannot stress this enough, it is strongly advised that you have the current schedule available that you want already figured out so that you don't have to take what they offer. You can suggest that they move you to what you want.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
T
Whenever I search for New York airports, I use "NYC" which automatically searches JFK, EWR, and LGA.

As for car services, since last year I've been using Lyft to get to/from LAX, and if they are allowed at your departing airport I'd use that instead of a car service. More casual, but also significantly less expensive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is where my inexperience with flying in recent years really shows! Lol!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
One other thing I just did is I changed my reservation at the Quality Inn in Estes Park (which has very good reviews, btw) to Rams Horn Resort. Cost me a fortune- way, way more than I intended to spend- but I couldn't bear the thought of spending 7 nights in just a room (it was really bothering me- I am so spoiled with staying in timeshares! LOL!) and I like staying at resorts as opposed to individual homes (like on Home Away). I tried Redweek and also a Worldmark owner I rented from before in West Yellowstone, but the Redweek Worldmark owner didn't have my dates and the other Worldmark owner said there were only a few random dates available.

So- I took the plunge! I must say, I have never, ever had such a crazy time with planning a vacation! Nor have I ever put this much time into it! OMG! I am exhausted! LOL!:whooopie:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Well your rental car was a $100 higher NOW. With any luck at all autoslash will find a lower rate before it is actually time to fly- you do have some time so it is quite possible.

Well- you were right. Auto Slash has cut the price twice so far and I am down $124 from the original booked price1

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Expect the schedule to change. Keep an eye on it periodically. React as soon as you notice. Use changes that are unacceptable to have the airline change your flights at NO charge. Even changing days if the schedule gets so screwed up, like if you have to make an event (like a cruise departure) and now you are getting there 3 hours too late.

Don't obsess about perfection too far in advance. Its a waste of your time.

Sandy has given you excellent advice on this one. Flight and seating changes seem to happen with such regularity these days that it's entirely possible that your flight plan will change again--and it sounds like it's unlikely to get worse and could improve. Unfortunately, the change is affecting your return flight--and if you are already this stressed about the changes and they are still in place on the day of your vacation--it seems to me like it could become a dark cloud hanging over your entire vacation experience as you dread what's coming and how to deal with it on the day of your return home. Remember that you can cancel the flight and have one year to use the $$ spent on the original flight to apply to a new itinerary. And since the airline changed the schedule, you would have a case to ask for the change fee to be waived when you re-book your vacation at another time. If I were in your shoes, I'd just roll with it--but we're all different and it sounds like you're already overwrought--and that could steal the whole enjoyment from your vacation.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Sandy has given you excellent advice on this one. Flight and seating changes seem to happen with such regularity these days that it's entirely possible that your flight plan will change again--and it sounds like it's unlikely to get worse and could improve. Unfortunately, the change is affecting your return flight--and if you are already this stressed about the changes and they are still in place on the day of your vacation--it seems to me like it could become a dark cloud hanging over your entire vacation experience as you dread what's coming and how to deal with it on the day of your return home. Remember that you can cancel the flight and have one year to use the $$ spent on the original flight to apply to a new itinerary. And since the airline changed the schedule, you would have a case to ask for the change fee to be waived when you re-book your vacation at another time. If I were in your shoes, I'd just roll with it--but we're all different and it sounds like you're already overwrought--and that could steal the whole enjoyment from your vacation.

Actually- no I am good now. I changed the whole vacation and we have nonstop flights now which makes it a lot more tolerable. I made a rule now- no more connecting flights. If connecting flights are involved in getting to a destination- we just won't do it. I do realize my new flights could also change but at least they are nonstop to Denver and there are a lot of flights to and from Denver.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
It's only about a 6 hour drive from Denver to Durango; you could still go. And you could see The Great Sand Dunes on the way.

Yes- thanks I am aware, but we are staying the whole week in Estes Park- it's really only 6 days when you consider 2 are travel days. We will be doing enough driving as it is.

We hope to maybe another time take a group tour out of Salt Lake City of all the Utah National Parks and Mesa Verde.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
... I made a rule now- no more connecting flights. If connecting flights are involved in getting to a destination- we just won't do it.

We're kinda adopting this attitude as well lately. Travel is more difficult these days, and I'd rather pay XX more to simplify as much as possible--and I try my best to upgrade as well. We're not getting younger and you can't take it with you--why not enjoy it?
We're so used to being frugal in the past that it's not been easy to live it up a little. DH said the other day, "Why wait until we're 80?"

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
We're so used to being frugal in the past that it's not been easy to live it up a little. DH said the other day, "Why wait until we're 80?"

I didn't :D

This year besides the annual ski season in Steamboat, London, Germany, Cancun and Seabrook Island SC are on the schedule.

Sort of typical since turning 60:cool:

Cheers

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
I understand when airlines have to make adjusts to be a strong profitable company but do they have to be so greedy as to continue to strip value from the consumer and jack up prices to make obscene profits so they can pay their over-priced executives? They eliminate routes, use smaller planes and add all these BS charges while giving you less service.

They've also stripped a lot of value from the FF program as well over the years just to squeeze the consumer and extract max profits. We used to be able to get 1st class saver seats easily on the nice planes with multiple flight options. Did this easy 4 times NY to Maui then it starts with only being able to get 2 tickets for the nice flights, then only 1, then none forcing us to take lesser planes and worst routes.

Then it became impossible to be 4 saver seats on any flight. so instead of getting 4 1st savers class for free, now if I'm lucky to get 4 coach anytime seats for max points and if I ever want to get a really nice plane for 1st class, I can for 380k miles that used to cost 140k miles, an absurd increase in less than 10 years of time. I understand some value loss but that is ridiculous and just a money grab as far as I'm concerned.

Agree completely. Have many FF miles on AA and have been a member since almost the beginning of their FF program. Availability has gotten progressively worse over the years. We switched over to WN several years ago and love the ease of travel. Will only fly AA for overseas travel where we fly F or J.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Agree completely. Have many FF miles on AA and have been a member since almost the beginning of their FF program. Availability has gotten progressively worse over the years. We switched over to WN several years ago and love the ease of travel. Will only fly AA for overseas travel where we fly F or J.

It has gotten more difficult but I just booked a Biz Class FF ticket for Oct to London on AA. Still have about 400k left. My AA FF number is actually from TWA:D

Cheers