• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hilton Maui

ldzierzanowski

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just a quick update we drove by the supposed Hilton Maui site yesterday. Still nothing has been started nor does it appear they will be starting anything soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I saw two exchange weeks available a few weeks ago, so apparently they are planning to get it done soon.

Should we want a stay on the Big Island again, we will probably stick with the Hiltons.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
I saw two exchange weeks available a few weeks ago, so apparently they are planning to get it done soon.

Should we want a stay on the Big Island again, we will probably stick with the Hiltons.

You saw HGVC exchange weeks in Maui? You must have seen that wrong. They have even moved a spade full of dirt yet nor does it sound as if they're even close to coming to terms with the local government yet.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I must be crazy, or I need new glasses, probably the former, rather than the latter. I misread the OP. I saw a couple of exchanges into the Marriott on the Big Island. Don't even ask me how I read it so wrongly. I honestly don't know where my brain is sometimes.
You saw HGVC exchange weeks in Maui? You must have seen that wrong. They have even moved a spade full of dirt yet nor does it sound as if they're even close to coming to terms with the local government yet.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I must be crazy, or I need new glasses, probably the former, rather than the latter. I misread the OP. I saw a couple of exchanges into the Marriott on the Big Island. Don't even ask me how I read it so wrongly. I honestly don't know where my brain is sometimes.

That's okay. Marriott - Maui ... They both start with M's.
But if you're going to experiment with drugs... Well, I want some of those. ;)

Warrior

TUG Member
Reaction score
In an owner's presentation pitch in Orlando in January, the rep said Maui will be completed this summer. I said "really?, knowing darn well it hasn't come close to being started. lol

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We just drove by today. Nothing going on. This is the area od Kihei Rd. that flooded just a few days ago.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
In the Investors conference call from earlier this month, they said no known start date for Maui.. Not particularly encouraging.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
In the Investors conference call from earlier this month, they said no known start date for Maui.. Not particularly encouraging.

Which is corporate speak for, "We haven't come to the appropriate compensation for the appropriate government officials."

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Which is corporate speak for, "We haven't come to the appropriate compensation for the appropriate government officials."

No, they have all the permits needed, they need investors. The Chinese backers pulled out of the deal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +

Maui local government is so darn hard to work with from all reports. So perhaps payola is what makes plans get approved. As that is what I believe is the current sticking point.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Maui local government is so darn hard to work with from all reports. So perhaps payola is what makes plans get approved. As that is what I believe is the current sticking point.

Marriott had issues in Riviera Beach, FL when they wanted to build Oceana Palms. The government there makes demands like few other places, including who Marriott could hire as contractors. Marriott had plans to build a hotel with shopping complex a mile south in Palm Beach Shore's FL in the same neighborhood as Ocean Pointe and a very large Ritz Carlton but, the government made far to many demands and they dumped the project.

Maybe Chinese investors pulled out but, this is a timeshare project and Hilton seems capable of converting or buying other projects, so I have my doubts. Maui is well known as being difficult to deal with under the auspices of "protecting" their resources when it really looks more like lining their pockets.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott had issues in Riviera Beach, FL when they wanted to build Oceana Palms. The government there makes demands like few other places, including who Marriott could hire as contractors. Marriott had plans to build a hotel with shopping complex a mile south in Palm Beach Shore's FL in the same neighborhood as Ocean Pointe and a very large Ritz Carlton but, the government made far to many demands and they dumped the project.

Maybe Chinese investors pulled out but, this is a timeshare project and Hilton seems capable of converting or buying other projects, so I have my doubts. Maui is well known as being difficult to deal with under the auspices of "protecting" their resources when it really looks more like lining their pockets.

I have a friend that lives on Maui and works in the planning department, she assured me all the permits are good to go. They have already demolished the old resort that was there and released the site plans.

0b142b943b20f4b427502f9875440dfd.jpg

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
I have a friend that lives on Maui and works in the planning department, she assured me all the permits are good to go. They have already demolished the old resort that was there and released the site plans.

Yeah but those site plans aren't new and the old resort was demolished in 2015
http://mauinow.com/2015/02/27/photos-maui-lu-iconic-longhouse-building-demolished/
http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/hilton-grand-vacations-maui-property-any-new-news.230689/
http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/new-hilton-timeshare-planned-for-maui.217600/

taffy19

Reaction score
I believe that these drawings are very different from the first set of drawings. They were posted here a long time ago by GregT.

We heard the same story from the Hilton Hawaiian Village when we stopped by there to see the Kihei model last September but I believe that SmithOp is right and has to do with the investor pulling out.

They will find a new one or get a loan themselves but need to pay down the loans they currently may have. These type of projects are always risky in case the economy takes a serious downturn again. I will try to find out on our next visit very soon as we are interested too if Kihei is a go or not.

PS. Look for GregT's posts in this thread (See post #17 and 18). These drawings were for the original developer but then they sold the property to HGVC and it became a high dense multi-use type of project just like the Nanea.

Last edited:

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

It takes permits to demolish, and they got them 2 years ago.

They can only have 2, 3 and 4 story buildings like Kings Land. It will be very similar, with the same point structure is my guess.

If they wanted high rise towers then the wheels have to be greased.

Last edited:

bluemax

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Valdoro Mountain Lodge (HGVC), Hilton Hawaiian Village (HGVC), Hyatt Lost Pines,
Very confusing feedback on Maui. At a sales update presentation and they told us there was a prolonged delay in breaking ground due to asbestos being found in the old buildings stalling the process. No definitive date on breaking ground - guesstimate was 2018?

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
The sales people don't know anything. Their only job is to sell more points. They are not privy to any plans beyond the resort where they work.

There is more useful information here than at any "update."

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Obviously one of the downsides to the "Capital Light" business models where 3rd parties handle all of the development means that HGVC is limited by the partners ability to perform. Unfortunately it seems the developer of the Maui resort, Capbridge Group, may have over optimistic about getting this built. I checked their website and they claim to have built 20 properties in Japan and China, but not a lot of specifics. They also have a hotel planned for Napa that was announced around the same time as maui that is still on hold.

Last edited:

thare

Reaction score
as someone who's vaguely involved with development, site plans can always change until you order steel. # rooms rarely does, but everything else is changeable depending on what is best use at the time.

rfc0001

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC: SSR, PVB
HGVC: Kings' Land, Ocean Tower
Had owner update two weeks ago at Kings' Land. Said Maui might be 2-3 years before they open given the delays. Blamed local government approvals. Apparently, not greasing enough palms :rolleyes:.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Of course they blamed approvals. I don't think that it is. I think it has more to do with funding. This was a fee for service resort, meaning someone else was coming up with the largest chunk of capital. I think they pulled out, there was some discussion that this is on the last Investor Call in May. See the following...

Reported in this link ...
http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/investor-presentation-on-hgv.255239/#post-2000001

Here is the transcript where CEO of HGVC speaks of Maui, (page 8 -10)
http://investors.hgv.com/~/media/Files/H/Hilton-Grand-IR/documents/hgv-1q17-transcript.pdf

Info on Fee for Service (description at bottom of post) ....
http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?...t-affiliated-information.254931/#post-1996760

rfc0001

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC: SSR, PVB
HGVC: Kings' Land, Ocean Tower
Looks like they pulled it out of their sales projections, but still have a sales agreement and only stated "construction is delayed":
Mark Wang
No, I think everything that’s in our pipeline has distribution behind it. And Maui, Maui is the one project that we pulled out and the construction has been delayed on that property. And since we don’t have clear visibility of when we’re going to be able to start sales, we just thought it would be better to pull that out at this point to make sure that the visibility that we’re providing in our pipeline is clean as possible.

Jim Mikolaichik
I would add that we still have sales and marketing agreement there. We still think that project has some viability

Last edited:

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
yes, but NO projection, means NO known dates. So it is in limbo until it is back in the pipeline.