• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Lagunamar [Merged]

elleny76

Reaction score
Yes, I believe you will probably need their membership to get in. However, here in the US I know you can get in without a membership if you have a Costco gift card to use.
Great Idea.. Will get a GC and will try next time thanks

elleny76

Reaction score
First visit to WLR and we love it! We are so impressed. Have a great room in Bldg 9 7th floor. Amazing view. It is windy but beautiful. Staff has been wonderful so far. Had dinner at Fish Fritanga and enjoyed it. So glad I took Tuggers advice to come here. Closer and cheaper than Maui - although we will be there in June! Thanks everyone!
The only problem I have with the wind is when you are closing your room door.. Very dangerous if you are not careful. Please keep kids away from the door when closing.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
The only problem I have with the wind is when you are closing your room door.. Very dangerous if you are not careful. Please keep kids away from the door when closing.
Since our first visit 5 years ago they have definitely done something to the door closers to stop them slamming.

But even so, yours are wise words.

And another reason not to visit Lagunamar. Wet swim up bar seats, friendly staff, great housekeeping. Stay away.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Great Idea.. Will get a GC and will try next time thanks
You may need to be careful. Since the GC will be in US$ and you will be shopping in Peso, you are at the mercy of the exchange rate that Costco decides to use. You may also need to confirm if you can even use a US based GC outside the USA.

elleny76

Reaction score
Since our first visit 5 years ago they have definitely done something to the door closers to stop them slamming.

But even so, yours are wise words.

And another reason not to visit Lagunamar. Wet swim up bar seats, friendly staff, great housekeeping. Stay away.

We were there first week of january 2017 , building 5 and did got scare with that door..lord! LOL... Sure it will keep me away from WLagunamar....The pools are too big and clean, the bartenders too nice and fast with the drinks, the food price was so inexpensive. workers too nice, The beach too clean I don't think I will come back anytime soon...LOL

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
The pools are too big and clean, the bartenders too nice and fast with the drinks, the food price was so inexpensive. workers too nice, The beach too clean I don't think I will come back anytime soon...LOL

Another reason to stay away- how the resort/staff treats guests....Tell all your friends to stay away, head to another resort.;)o_O
20161215_133509.jpg
20161213_144404.jpg

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
All,

This is an interesting thread and really piques my interest on Lagunamar. Thanks for keeping it current and I hope it becomes the official Lagunamar thread!

A few questions, if I could:

1) I note that there are a number of restaurants that are easy walking distance, are these primarily mexican food, or are there steak-houses/other types too? Are they truly across the street?
2) How safe is the beach in front of Lagunamar?
3) Does the sand get blistering hot there?
4) For the January/February/March traveler, can you contrast the humidity and bug situation with other Caribbean islands?

Thanks again to all, it sounds like a terrific property!

Best,

Greg

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
All,

1) I note that there are a number of restaurants that are easy walking distance, are these primarily mexican food, or are there steak-houses/other types too? Are they truly across the street?
4) For the January/February/March traveler, can you contrast the humidity and bug situation with other Caribbean islands?

1. Bad Gringo Mexican food. That's all you got.
2. Dangerous. Full of bad hombres.
3. Big League blistering hot. Very Bad.
4. They've got the best bugs, really great bugs.

All,

Best,

Greg
1. There is all sorts. Ruth's Chris and other US steak and a decent variety of others. Porfino (upscale Mexican)across the road from the RC and Puerto Madero (Argentinian) and Harrys Grill (more steak) and Thai (Thai) and elefanta (Indian) and lorenzillo (seafood) and bubba Gump (help me out here) and crab house and Lime 1205 (Peruvian)

And that's just in the hotel zone.

3. Sand does not get too hot to walk on in winter. Not sure about summer. Is the beach dangerous. The surf can be rough, but beyond that it is a safe beach.

4. Bugs. Those breezy days that also result in the rough surf result in minimal bugs. It's in the CDC list of risk areas but at the pool, beach and even inland at Chichen Itza we had no repellant on and no bites this trip.

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
If they would just read all the posts!!! There is one on here about all the chair hogging going on! Another post stating the pools are all going to be closed or at least the ones that are worth being at!
I won't even get started on the thread with all the high pressure sales people.

It was good while it lasted but we need people to try other less popular places to find our next new best place to visit!

Lagunamar now has strict rules agains chair hogging...and they appear to be being enforced.

Last edited:

maddog497

TUG Member
Reaction score
Lagunamar now has strict rules agains chair hogging...and they appear be being enforced.
I was trying to be funny. The chair hog thread was in regards to another post.

We had zero issues with the chairs in November. There were some people saving chairs early in the morning but there were many left open for use.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
All,

This is an interesting thread and really piques my interest on Lagunamar. Thanks for keeping it current and I hope it becomes the official Lagunamar thread!

Best,

Greg

For restaurants, La Distilleria is one of our favorites. They tend to be pricey but VERY good. I always eat their Molcajete. Also we stumbled upon the Surfing Burrito and they are very reasonably priced with great food and is usually quick. There is also Casa de Tequila over by the Selecto Chedraui. They have a great patio where you can sit out on a warm evening and enjoy the food & drink. Their margaritas are good. Another good place is Tacun with rajas tacos. If you are willing to venture out, hit up the taco stands in the Parque de Palapas in downtown Cancun. It's where the locals go and there is a nice playground for kids. The food is cheap, priced for the locals (not tourists) and way yummy. I've not had any problem with any of the fruits or veggies, but be careful.

I know there has been a lot of sarcasm above but on a serious note, I'd stay away from La Isla as that has everything you can get in the US - Chili's, Hooters, Starbucks, McD's etc. Why go to Cancun and eat there??? No way.....total tourist trap.

The rest of your questions were really answered above.

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
I know there has been a lot of sarcasm above but on a serious note, I'd stay away from La Isla as that has everything you can get in the US - Chili's, Hooters, Starbucks, McD's etc. Why go to Cancun and eat there??? No way.....total tourist trap.

This is a bit too strong an opinion. El Jugo de Limon is one of our favorite spots for breakfast. Not bad for lunch, either. Next door to (and part of) the aquarium. Watch the dolphins while you dine.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
This is a bit too strong an opinion. El Jugo de Limon is one of our favorite spots for breakfast. Not bad for lunch, either. Next door to (and part of) the aquarium. Watch the dolphins while you dine.
I would agree. The same could be said for much of the Cancun Hotel Zone; Hard Rock Cafe, Sinor Frogs, Margaritaville, Outback Steakhouse. While you may not be able to find all those at home, many could be considered a tourist trap. There are certainly options at La Isla that you can not find at home. I also don't think there is full blown McDonald's at La Isla. I think they may just sell beverages, sundaes and fries. Something you find in several places around Cancun. They have one at the Ado Bus Station.

maddog497

TUG Member
Reaction score
One of our memorable days from our visit was sitting on the patio of the Hard Rock, enjoying some dessert listening to the music. We were the only ones on the patio. Late afternoon, no rush and just enjoying the view.

Sent from my Le X522 using Tapatalk

blondietink

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Saratoga Springs; Sheraton Vistana Villages St. Augustine; Westin Adventuras
Regarding the sand ...... it is surprisingly cool on the feet, even when it is blistering hot and sunny.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras

YMMV. It's all in the eye of the beholder. There are a lot of restaurant "gems" if you wander into town, and even Isla Mujeres that are very cost effective.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I drove to Chichin Itza. Will make a full post on that on my return but Google maps nav is great and I'd say go for it.
Really hoping you post some details about your drive to Chichen Itza. Wondering how much the toll roads are now. We are considering renting a car for a single day in the middle of our 13 nights to head to either Chichen Itza or Ek Balam. What I have read so far is that the drive is pretty easy if not very boring. Last details I have is that there are two tolls, the first one there being $241 Peso and the second being $59 Peso if you continue on to Chichen Itza.

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
YMMV. It's all in the eye of the beholder. There are a lot of restaurant "gems" if you wander into town, and even Isla Mujeres that are very cost effective.

We were at Lagunamar for Christmas. We loved La Disteleria and Limoncello. We never saw a bug. The resort has pool attendants who tuck the towels in your chairs for you and move them where you want. They have a 45-minute rule for an unattended chair. At 30 minutes, the attendant puts an elastic band around the chair and at 45 minutes everything comes off the chair. It didn't appear to be enforced when there were chairs available, which was fine with me.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Really hoping you post some details about your drive to Chichen Itza. Wondering how much the toll roads are now. We are considering renting a car for a single day in the middle of our 13 nights to head to either Chichen Itza or Ek Balam. What I have read so far is that the drive is pretty easy if not very boring. Last details I have is that there are two tolls, the first one there being $241 Peso and the second being $59 Peso if you continue on to Chichen Itza.

Yes SMHarmon, I'd be interested in hearing about your Chichen Itza drive too. Thanks!
We'll be 5 in our group and while I'm not worried about DH and his friend driving, I'm worried about the other drivers who for example, might interpret Stop signs as a suggestion to roll thru :eek: rather than as an imperative to stop. Or think it's okay to pass on blind curves at highway speeds. This is how they drove in Crete.

r1lee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SVV
Question, how much are members bringing down in USD? I usually just use my credit card.

We will be eating out a few days during the week and won't really be buying much.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Question, how much are members bringing down in USD? I usually just use my credit card.

We will be eating out a few days during the week and won't really be buying much.
Cash for the USA transfers transfer.

$50 in singles.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA

Here are a couple of threads on where, when and how to get Pesos.

http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/buying-foreign-currency.251346/
http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/any-benefit-to-getting-pesos-for-use-in-cabo.249814/

As for USD, we will only take enough for the airport transfers plus perhaps a little extra. We exchanged for some Pesos at our bank so we have some when we hit the ground. We will use credit card and ATMs for the rest.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I know this has been discussed before recently, but I'm still perplexed at the ZERO availability during WLR event weeks home resort period this year 2017. We aren't even 8 months out yet!!! Mexico is like Orlando, a lot of supply and overbuilt. I find it hard to believe that there is NOTHING, ZILCH, NADA available at WLR during weeks 51 and week 52. I own (and use EY) week 51 event week, I'd like to change the reservation to check in one day later. Can't. Full. Really?? There has to be some hold back of inventory and control somewhere.

Last edited: