• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Have you used this information to deed-back your DRI Timeshare?

• Yes, DRI took back my DRI TimeShare (or DRI said they will take back my TS)

Votes: 148 88.1%
  • No, DRI said they would not take back my TimeShare

Votes: 20 11.9%

• Total voters

Orion

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Monarch Grand Vacation
I sent my first email on 2/23/17, got a reply from Google that my email was not delivered. After careful look, the email address I used was mispelled.

I re-sent the email request today 2/24/17 at 4:58 PM.
I received an auto reply today 2/24/17 at 5:00 PM.

upload_2017-2-24_17-8-12.png

Hi all,

After years of trying to get rid of my timeshare, I finally see the hope after encountering this post. Two days ago, I followed the instruction and sent email to loss mitigation to request surrender my ownership to DRI. I saw a lot of people here say they received an automated-reply email with a ticket # after sending the initial request. However, I didn't received anything back, no auto-reply, no un-delivery email, etc. This made me worried if the deedback program is still available.

Has anyone experienced the same? Any thoughts and advices? Thanks very much!

Orion

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Monarch Grand Vacation
Hi Brian:

Got this message today 3/1/17 and denying me of inventory take back.
What's my best action? I don't think there are takers for this timeshare.

Should I use a company that would help me out of this? like www.redemptionandrelease.com or www.timeshareexitteam.com?
Do you have any idea what they cost?

Thanks
Orion..

upload_2017-3-1_12-28-3.png

upload_2017-3-1_12-27-44.png

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I guess they arent taking back all monarch intervals...sorry to hear that.

id certainly suggest listing it for $1 and offering to pay all closing costs.

Orion

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Monarch Grand Vacation
I guess they arent taking back all monarch intervals...sorry to hear that.

id certainly suggest listing it for $1 and offering to pay all closing costs.

1. What do you think of those two service companies websites I sent earlier?
2. How do I do that $1 offering?
3. Do you have success story on selling/transferring it for $1?

Thanks

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

Orion

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Monarch Grand Vacation

bookaholicca

Reaction score
Well... we tried. Got this response from the loss mitigation team, and quick too!!

"Thank you for your correspondence. Please be advised that neither the
management company, nor the developer, are taking back ownership within the
Association.

You may sell your ownership; however, we want to caution you not to work with
any third party that requests an upfront payment of any kind. When you locate
a buyer privately or through a third party, the management company will be
happy to assist you with completing the transfer of ownership. Please note
that prior to transferring ownership, any loan repayment obligations must be
satisfied, as well as any fees owed to the Association.

Kind regards,

Shelia"

So... I saw a post in this thread about a lawyer that helped her... said to email her or them for information. Emailed her... no response. has anyone else tried them?? I looked them up and it seems a little sketchy as far as the website doesn't look overly professional, stock photo etc. This timeshare was bought by my husband in 1999 with his EXwife, sadly he got it in the divorce, he's not used it but once in almost 20 years and we're paying about $1200 just in maintenance fees for NOTHING!!! We want it gone!

ChinoBC

Reaction score
So... I saw a post in this thread about a lawyer that helped her... said to email her or them for information. Emailed her... no response. has anyone else tried them?? I looked them up and it seems a little sketchy as far as the website doesn't look overly professional, stock photo etc. This timeshare was bought by my husband in 1999 with his EXwife, sadly he got it in the divorce, he's not used it but once in almost 20 years and we're paying about $1200 just in maintenance fees for NOTHING!!! We want it gone![/QUOTE]

Are you MGV owners? Which is your "home" resort?

bookaholicca

Reaction score
So... I saw a post in this thread about a lawyer that helped her... said to email her or them for information. Emailed her... no response. has anyone else tried them?? I looked them up and it seems a little sketchy as far as the website doesn't look overly professional, stock photo etc. This timeshare was bought by my husband in 1999 with his EXwife, sadly he got it in the divorce, he's not used it but once in almost 20 years and we're paying about $1200 just in maintenance fees for NOTHING!!! We want it gone!

Are you MGV owners? Which is your "home" resort?[/QUOTE]

Yes Monarch Grand Vacations, honestly my husband has used it once back in 1999, he doesn't know what the "home" resort is and I don't see it listed in any of the information. I found the points total and submitted all the information. All we pay are maintences fees and just those alone add up to $1200/year. I do not know a lot about timeshares, all I know is we don't use this, we don't want it and need to find a way to unload it so we're not paying all this money for NOTHING.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
have you attempted to give it away for $1 and pay closing costs?

bookaholicca

Reaction score
have you attempted to give it away for $1 and pay closing costs?
No I have not, don't know how to go about doing that. How much to closing costs usually run? Who takes care of the paperwork? Do you have to go through an agent?? I mean it's not a physical location like a house.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
http://sell.tug2.net

its the exact same as any other resale of a timeshare, except you are simply giving it away for $1 instead of asking for money.

closing costs vary, chances are you would want to contact MGV to see if they have any ownership transfer fees, and or contact a licenced closing company to give you a quote on any additional closing costs that may apply.

you can also list it in the bargain deals section here:

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-can-i-give-away-my-timeshare-on-tug.132509/

bookaholicca

Reaction score
http://sell.tug2.net

its the exact same as any other resale of a timeshare, except you are simply giving it away for $1 instead of asking for money.

closing costs vary, chances are you would want to contact MGV to see if they have any ownership transfer fees, and or contact a licenced closing company to give you a quote on any additional closing costs that may apply.

you can also list it in the bargain deals section here:

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-can-i-give-away-my-timeshare-on-tug.132509/

Brian - thank you for the info. I will look into it. To say "it's the exact same as any other resale of a timeshare" for me doesn't mean anything because like I said... novice ;) haha!! I know literally nothing except we inherited this albatross and I want it gone.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
the first link in the reply is our "how to sell" guide =)

Will Bledsoe

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI
Hi all,

Thank you, thank you, thank you for this thread!

For our particular timeline of start to finish through this process, this is what we experienced:
  • Dec. 22, 2016: Initial email sent to LossMitigation@diamondresorts.com
    • Included:
      • Resort name: DRI
      • Owner's name
      • Account number
      • Inventory owned (in my case this was points)
      • General section where I stated a briefly why I needed to do this
  • Dec. 22, 2016: Email reply was generated stating a ticket was created for my inquiry
  • Dec. 29, 2016: Paid 2017 maintenance dues
  • Jan. 26, 2017: Received the paperwork via USPS
  • Feb. 5, 2017: Went by the bank to get the paperwork notarized; mailed a $250 check and notarized paperwork off
  • Mar. 8, 2017: Diamond's website now show, when I log in, I have this message "We have no active membership or ownership for the credentials you supplied."

Looks like we are done!

Now my final question is... will I get a prorated reimbursement for the maintenance fees I paid for 2017? I hope so, but even if I don't... I still feel like it's a wash, I'm just so relieved to have this over with. Thank you again for this thread.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
i doubt you are likely to see a refund from DRI, can hope though!

karen wood

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Los Abrigados, Diamond Resorts
Thanks for all the information everyone! I own at Los Abrigados. I followed the instructions and emailed to ask them to take back my week and got a reply this morning saying - "neither the management company, or the developer, are taking back ownership within the Association."

I believe someone suggested trying again later. Anyone else have any thoughts? I originally emailed Loss Mitigation. Maybe I should try the Lead Collector email address in a couple of weeks? Or calling in? Anything else?

Thank you.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
id certainly keep emailing, this would be the first reported reply of that type for an actual DRI property...previous folks who own Monarch properties were getting this response however.

karen wood

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Los Abrigados, Diamond Resorts
id certainly keep emailing, this would be the first reported reply of that type for an actual DRI property...previous folks who own Monarch properties were getting this response however.
Oh my - I just got a CORRECTED email:

CORRECTION:
Diamond Resorts International ("Diamond") does not have a voluntary surrender
program; however, relinquishments requests are reviewed on a case-by-case
basis. Diamond takes the concerns of its owners, members and guests very
seriously, and empathizes with its owners and members circumstances and
understands that from time-to-time, certain issues may arise which would
prevent them from taking advantage of their purchase.

Therefore, after review of the account, Diamond has approved the request to
voluntarily surrender the ownership for relinquishment for a $250.00
administrative/ transfer fee ($250.00 each/per account). We have forwarded
your request to the Title Company to begin the process of preparing the
Surrender Documents. You are welcome to follow-up with our office if you have
not received any communications from the Title Company after 60 days from the
date of the submittal.
Please send any further request/inquiry to this email.

It worked! I'm excited and will let you know how it turns out. Thank you so much for all the information

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
ha...well that was a quick 180 turnaround! congrats!

Snowbow

Reaction score
Hi all,

Thank you, thank you, thank you for this thread!

For our particular timeline of start to finish through this process, this is what we experienced:
  • Dec. 22, 2016: Initial email sent to LossMitigation@diamondresorts.com
    • Included:
      • Resort name: DRI
      • Owner's name
      • Account number
      • Inventory owned (in my case this was points)
      • General section where I stated a briefly why I needed to do this
  • Dec. 22, 2016: Email reply was generated stating a ticket was created for my inquiry
  • Dec. 29, 2016: Paid 2017 maintenance dues
  • Jan. 26, 2017: Received the paperwork via USPS
  • Feb. 5, 2017: Went by the bank to get the paperwork notarized; mailed a $250 check and notarized paperwork off
  • Mar. 8, 2017: Diamond's website now show, when I log in, I have this message "We have no active membership or ownership for the credentials you supplied."

Looks like we are done!

Now my final question is... will I get a prorated reimbursement for the maintenance fees I paid for 2017? I hope so, but even if I don't... I still feel like it's a wash, I'm just so relieved to have this over with. Thank you again for this thread.
I called the loss mitigation number and requested a refund of my 2017 maintenance dues, which they told me in an email to do. My request is now being reviewed; they had agreed to my deed back in 2016. (it took from 9/28-1/28 to finalize). Called about the refund this week after receiving an official letter from them that my account was closed on their end.

MizzouBJ72

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just adding to the information here....my request for a "takeback" appears to have been successful, with virtually an identical time line to that of Will Bledsoe outlined above...just sent in my $250 check with the notarized paperwork today to Chicago Title Company. I anticipate I will have successfully completed this process within a week or two, after starting it in December, 2016. My "takeback" is a double-lock-off, every other (even) year, fixed week at DRI's Mystic Dunes in Celebration FL. I express sincere thanks and appreciation to Brian and the TUG website information for helping me know about the takeback and how to maneuver through the process.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
and the sad part is that we get emails every single week from DRI owners who have been scammed by upfront fee companies promising to sell their timeshare for them....paying hundreds more to the upfront fee company than the $250 fee to give it back.

Fairwinds

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I started the process of giving back my 1bdr Boardwalk villa in Oct. The process just ran its course last month just as predicted by diamond and I have requested a refund of 2017 maintenance fees which I had prepaid prior to starting the process. The people at Diamond were polite and very helpful. I originally purchased the resort for $1 + $450 closing. It was a great trader with annual maintenance fees of ~$550. Unfortunately the annual fees have climbed to over $800 and due to changes in the Marriott system having a non-Marriott resort required me to carry the added expense of two II accounts. It was great while it lasted but I'm happy to be so easily rid of it.

THANKS TUG. Would not have known about this offer if not for TUG

Last edited: