• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Have you used this information to deed-back your DRI Timeshare?

• Yes, DRI took back my DRI TimeShare (or DRI said they will take back my TS)

Votes: 148 87.6%
  • No, DRI said they would not take back my TimeShare

Votes: 21 12.4%

• Total voters

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
We actually came to TUG earlier this year after DRI told us about the take back program. By now I can't recall why we were on the phone with them, but the info was mentioned to us by DRI itself. I suppose it depends on who you talk to, but if you have an outstanding loan you are not eligible. Fairly simple process -- we would have been out within six weeks of our initial contact with the loss mitigation dept. except that we had vacations already booked. After sitting on the paperwork for three months we were out in a matter of days after turning it in last July.

Hubble

Reaction score
Any updates on people's deed in requests? Does the Arizona settlement have any effect nationwide on Diamond's policies?

Hubble

Reaction score
Oh, I now see the updated posts of the last few months, so please ignore mine from yesterday.

We're on the fence about doing a deed-in now, but it is encouraging that the gates are still open.
For us, in addition to the maintenance fee (still reasonably under control in the upper 700's), an issue is being
able to exchange on II. We bought a relatively cheap week without the greatest trading power, but II exchanges have been
adequate. They've been threatening us at owners meetings though, insinuating that the exchange system will soon disappear.
Does anyone know how long DRI's contract with II has left? Is this something we should worry about?

gypsygirl1

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just an update. It has been slow, but progress!
12/11: emailed loss mitigation (replying on the email from 10/18 with approval) asking for a status update.
12/22: Received the following email: Your information is with the title company. Once the search clears, documents will be mailed to your address. Please allow more time for this to be completed. If you receive fees regarding next year, you may file it away as we will not require you to pay for next year's dues as long as you stay in compliance of surrender.
12/22: I reminded them that I had prepaid 2017 and received the following email (not counting on this, but I am hopeful): Once the recording has been completed, you may request for a refund for your 2017 dues.
Hi,
I want to surrender my Monarch Grand Vacations points which are managed by diamond resorts. Do you think I should contact Monarch somehow or Diamond Resorts directly? It is because of Diamond's management and high HOA that I want out! Any thoughts on this would be appreciated!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to TUG!

would suggest following the directions in the first post to see what their answer is.

vista9

Reaction score
As of 01/30/2017, the $250 check has been cashed and has cleared my bank.
Yes, I have had success too. I received the packet of information from Diamond Resorts which included a Warranty Deed for me to sign and notarize and return and a request for me to include a check for $250. Plus they give you a Federal Express Envelope to mail everything back. Mine was at Los Abrigados in Sedona. Going to the notary today to get this signed and returned.

47vampire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton
Update on Return of Los Abrigados to Diamond: I called 12/20 (they had notarized paperwork and my $250 since 12/5) and was told to wait another 30 days. I called again today 1/31 as my account shows still active online and having received bills with late fees and interest added. I was told they do not issue credit reports dings, etc. if you don't have an active loan. I was also told (by Alexia in Loss Mitigation) they would put a note on my file explaining my property was in deedback process. The good news was that they received the new deed on 1/24 but that I was then added to a "cancellation List" that will take approximately one month to process. I shared that this had never been a step in the process as described my previous phone calls so I will continue to be patient and wait. I was told at that point I can request a copy of everything showing I am no longer the owner and I bet it will take a month to receive that too. Out of the blue today I received a call from some lawyer group about dissatisfaction with DRI and misinformation. I have been reading class action suit discussions on tug so not sure if a scam or not but I did not discuss.

calblondie

Reaction score
Hi all!

I wanted to say "thank you" to Brian and all of the other helpful posters on this thread. :whooopie: I owned a Monarch Grand Vacations timeshare with 15,960 points (purchased in 2003). The loan was completely paid off, and I also paid my Q1 2017 dues prior to requesting a takeback in December 2017. Here's my rough timeline:
12/6/16: Emailed lossmitigation@diamondresorts.com requesting inventory takeback/surrender. I provided the information suggested in the first post on this thread and also added my reason: divorce and cannot afford to continue paying assessment fees.
12/12/16: Received an email back from loss mitigation telling me that my request was reviewed and approved, with a $250 transfer fee.
12/27/16: Received transfer paperwork from Diamond Resorts International.
1/3/17: Signed and notarized paperwork, dropped in a blue USPS mailbox with $250 check.
1/17/17: $250 check cashed
2/1/17: Logged into Diamond Resorts website; received notice "We have no active membership or ownership for the credentials you supplied."

I still haven't received any kind of confirmation in the mail from DRI, but I think we are in the clear. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

Karin :)

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
outstanding!

sparkey549

Reaction score
Update: Diamond has cashed my check for $250 two weeks ago and today i am not able to log into my account. What is nice that I stopped my payments for 2017 in December so they didn't receive anything (HOA at 135/month) for 2017. I was hoping that wasn't going to be a sticking point, but I am OUT!!!!

Snowbow

Reaction score
My timeline: (Scottsdale Villa Mirage)
9/28:I emailed loss mitigation on September 28 and received the auto email back that someone would contact me in 1-2 days.
10/5: I replied back to their email and said that I haven't heard back from them.
10/18; I received the following email: Thank you for the email. We have reviewed and approved the request. We will have the Title Company prepare and mail the surrender paperwork. Communications will come from the Title Company, to the Owner, with a NEW Surrender Deed or a Letter requesting further compliance from the Owner. We thank you ahead of time for your patience during the Surrender process.
1/11/17: Received the docs today from First American Title in Vegas, as well as a prepaid FedEx reply envelope. Instructions say to include the $250 check made out to Diamond. Since my 2017 fees are prepaid, I will be asking for a refund once this is recorded, as they have instructed me to do in October.
1/12/17: I received a second package with a valuation certification to notarize, which showed the amount of my prepaid 2017 fees. I haven't read about this form anywhere else, so maybe I won't have to request a refund and it will happen after closing?
1/20/17: My check was cashed.
2/6/17: Special warranty deed was recorded in Maricopa County, AZ on January 27 and is now viewable online. I can still log into my DI account and it still shows my property. I will need to follow up with them regarding my prepaid 2017 and they said would be refunded after recording.
However, I believe mission accomplished! It has been SLOW, but it has happened.

Thanks to all for the help, suggestions, and support.

Last edited:

bradfordHI

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI Hawaii Collection 74,000 points

Westin 2 Bedroom Maui; selling it now.
2 bedroom ocean Front Hyatt week 51. We Rent it on VRBO only.
Last edited by a moderator:

ChinoBC

Reaction score
Interesting thoughts. Please explain how an MGV owner can monetize their ownership without giving it up. As far as I can tell, ownership in MGV has no intrinsic value in the open market. If I am wrong, I would love to be enlightened. I have not given back mine yet but am seriously contemplating doing so.

Last edited by a moderator:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
hes just looney tunes..and has worn out his welcome here at TUG.

gypsygirl1

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We actually came to TUG earlier this year after DRI told us about the take back program. By now I can't recall why we were on the phone with them, but the info was mentioned to us by DRI itself. I suppose it depends on who you talk to, but if you have an outstanding loan you are not eligible. Fairly simple process -- we would have been out within six weeks of our initial contact with the loss mitigation dept. except that we had vacations already booked. After sitting on the paperwork for three months we were out in a matter of days after turning it in last July.
I just contacted DRI and was first told that I could gift, donate or sell my timeshares. I told them that I had special circumstances and then the rep told me to send a letter to the loss mitigation department with the details and they would consider my request to surrender my points. My fingers are crossed! I tried to email that department a few weeks ago but it bounced back as undeliverable. Perhaps I had the wrong email address. If you still have that address I would appreciate it if you would share it. Thanks!

gypsygirl1

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I wanted to say "thank you" to Brian and all of the other helpful posters on this thread. :whooopie: I owned a Monarch Grand Vacations timeshare with 15,960 points (purchased in 2003). The loan was completely paid off, and I also paid my Q1 2017 dues prior to requesting a takeback in December 2017. Here's my rough timeline:
12/6/16: Emailed lossmitigation@diamondresorts.com requesting inventory takeback/surrender. I provided the information suggested in the first post on this thread and also added my reason: divorce and cannot afford to continue paying assessment fees.
12/12/16: Received an email back from loss mitigation telling me that my request was reviewed and approved, with a $250 transfer fee.
12/27/16: Received transfer paperwork from Diamond Resorts International.
1/3/17: Signed and notarized paperwork, dropped in a blue USPS mailbox with $250 check.
1/17/17: $250 check cashed
2/1/17: Logged into Diamond Resorts website; received notice "We have no active membership or ownership for the credentials you supplied."

I still haven't received any kind of confirmation in the mail from DRI, but I think we are in the clear. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

Karin :)
You give me hope! :)

Orion

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Monarch Grand Vacation
TUG Admin or anyone:

Hi, I am new in the forum exploring to get rid of my Monarch Grand Vacation timeshare.
What are the compelling reasons that members have used for a successful deedback with DRI-Monarch?
Thread #1 did not put that as an item of information.

Thanks

47vampire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton
I didn't own at MGV but reasons I used, my co-owner died and we had too much time. I couldn't use it all or rent it. Without the co-owner it was also too many fees to pay. I also got married and we vacation differently. Our children married and they are not interested in ts vacations, they want to camp. Just about any reason seems to work as long as you fees are update and no loan and they want to resell that property. I did have another ts with another company that they would not take back into inventory but after contacting the Property Owner Assn. board, they were happy to take it back at no cost to me. Hope this helps.

47vampire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton
Update on Return of Los Abrigados to Diamond: I called 12/20 (they had notarized paperwork and my $250 since 12/5) and was told to wait another 30 days. I called again today 1/31 as my account shows still active online and having received bills with late fees and interest added. I was told they do not issue credit reports dings, etc. if you don't have an active loan. I was also told (by Alexia in Loss Mitigation) they would put a note on my file explaining my property was in deedback process. The good news was that they received the new deed on 1/24 but that I was then added to a "cancellation List" that will take approximately one month to process. I shared that this had never been a step in the process as described my previous phone calls so I will continue to be patient and wait. I was told at that point I can request a copy of everything showing I am no longer the owner and I bet it will take a month to receive that too. Out of the blue today I received a call from some lawyer group about dissatisfaction with DRI and misinformation. I have been reading class action suit discussions on tug so not sure if a scam or not but I did not discuss.
2/14 Update. On 2/10 my account was not available on line so I called and told I had no active account. When I questioned about receiving this in written form I was told I had to submit a written request but when I told her (Susan) that differed from what I had been told before, she submitted an online request on my behalf. She told me that I could go online and view the recorded deed at the county website. I finally am free of DRI!

Orion

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Monarch Grand Vacation
I didn't own at MGV but reasons I used, my co-owner died and we had too much time. I couldn't use it all or rent it. Without the co-owner it was also too many fees to pay. I also got married and we vacation differently. Our children married and they are not interested in ts vacations, they want to camp. Just about any reason seems to work as long as you fees are update and no loan and they want to resell that property. I did have another ts with another company that they would not take back into inventory but after contacting the Property Owner Assn. board, they were happy to take it back at no cost to me. Hope this helps.

thank you....so what matters most is that there are no outstanding obligations due to them....

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
TUG Admin or anyone:

Hi, I am new in the forum exploring to get rid of my Monarch Grand Vacation timeshare.
What are the compelling reasons that members have used for a successful deedback with DRI-Monarch?
Thread #1 did not put that as an item of information.

Thanks

there are a variety of items discussed by owners throughout the thread itself, but yes as you mention if you still have an outstanding balance...im not sure anything else matters.

Orion

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Monarch Grand Vacation
there are a variety of items discussed by owners throughout the thread itself, but yes as you mention if you still have an outstanding balance...im not sure anything else matters.

Nope I don't have outstanding mortgage balance, except the usual annoying HOA fees. Thanks.
Wish me luck to begin the deed back request process.

path2017

Reaction score
Hi all,

After years of trying to get rid of my timeshare, I finally see the hope after encountering this post. Two days ago, I followed the instruction and sent email to loss mitigation to request surrender my ownership to DRI. I saw a lot of people here say they received an automated-reply email with a ticket # after sending the initial request. However, I didn't received anything back, no auto-reply, no un-delivery email, etc. This made me worried if the deedback program is still available.

Has anyone experienced the same? Any thoughts and advices? Thanks very much!

47vampire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton
Might take a couple of days and Monday might have been a holiday. I would give it a couple more days and then call.

47vampire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton
2/14 Update. On 2/10 my account was not available on line so I called and told I had no active account. When I questioned about receiving this in written form I was told I had to submit a written request but when I told her (Susan) that differed from what I had been told before, she submitted an online request on my behalf. She told me that I could go online and view the recorded deed at the county website. I finally am free of DRI!
2/21 Update: I received an envelope dated 2/13. Inside was letter dated 12/13/2016 stating "DRI has agreed to accept voluntary surrender of your ownership interest in Premiere Vacation Collection. This correspondence shall confirm the termination of your ownership. While you no longer have any rights or obligations associated with the property, please feel free to contact DR, Loss Mitigation Department at 1-877-497-7521... with questions...." Not exactly timely but what I did ask for. Closing the file.