• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I'm New To Marriott Waiting For The Results of ROFR

Tokapeba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Mountainside, Worldmark, Ridge Tahoe
I'm new to Marriott. Our offer was accepted for a Platinum week at Mountainside and we are waiting for the results of the ROFR. We plan to ski every year in January.

I don't know much about the Marriott system except the 13 month and 12 month windows for reservations.

We have a WorldMark that trades well, so we didn't buy it for trading, but what about bonus time?

What is the "Encore Package"?

Should I consider getting some points?

My wife has a Marriott rewards account, does that help us?

Do accounts come with II?

catharsis

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you mind me asking at what price? (And please post your details at www.rofr.net and/or at the ROFR thread when you have a result either way)
If you want to book in Jan outside of Sundance week it should be easy to manage.

Encore: Encore package (or preview package) is a prepaid purchase of relatively off-season Marriott holidays. You commit to attending a Marriott presentation and get a discount as a result. You probably also purchase Marriott rewards points as part of the package. Long story short you do not want one.

II : You will have to pay for an interval membership (unless you already have one).

Marriott Rewards: Elite Qualifying Nights benefit - when staying at the timeshare for a week your partner will receive 7 nights elite qualifying credit if that is important.

Marriott Rewards Points: sometimes offered as incentives by MVC
You can also usually either get gifts, cash offers or Marriott points for attending an 'owner update' (timeshare sales pitch) while at your Marriott stay. In Mountainside last month we were offered MR points or 2 deer valley tickets for example.

Destination Club (as opposed to Marriott Rewards) Points:
I would probably advise against acquiring points as your 'new' week will not be able to be connected to any points you buy so there is no benefit from having the week when buying points retail (and IMHO few reasons to buy points retail)
Perhaps some resale points might add flexibility for you.

Check out the very useful FAQs on this forum related to weeks and points.

Last edited:

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
A normal week purchase does not come with an II account. You have to contact II and open a personal account.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Encore: Encore package (or preview package) is a prepaid purchase of relatively off-season Marriott holidays. You commit to attending a Marriott presentation and get a discount as a result. You probably also purchase Marriott rewards points as part of the package. Long story short you do not want one.
Maybe yes, maybe no. These can be wonderful values or they can be just be paying a "fair" price for what you get. The can in the right circumstances be a good deal, and if you think you want to buy retail points (I am not recommending that), then an Encore package is basically "free" because the entire price of the Encore is deducted from the cost of the points you ultimately buy when you come back.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Maybe yes, maybe no. These can be wonderful values or they can be just be paying a "fair" price for what you get. The can in the right circumstances be a good deal, and if you think you want to buy retail points (I am not recommending that), then an Encore package is basically "free" because the entire price of the Encore is deducted from the cost of the points you ultimately buy when you come back.
I think Marriott offers Encore Packages as a loss leader. Meant to get you in the door and hope to make a sale. I would be willing to bet that their sales rate on Encore tours are higher than they are on non Encore tours. Mostly because of the "discount" you get when you buy when they put the value of the package toward the price of points.

Marriott likely calculates out the total cost of the Encore Package, subtracts a few hundred from that and that is the price they sell them for. That few hundred dollar difference gets charged to the marketing costs that they have for every tour. All the components of the Encore Package, MR Points, Cruise, Enrollment, etc make up that overall cost. The way these are priced, they seem to definitively be selling them at a loss with the expectation of a sale. No different than the supermarket putting milk on sale.

catharsis

TUG Member
Reaction score
I found encore great value in my own circumstances because the value of the waived enrolment fee for my pre 2010 weeks made it worthwhile. Otherwise while the price appears cheap compared to Marriott.com I found the capacity/availability restrictions extremely onerous and would have been unhappy had I paid the offered price for (just)what I received without the enrolment and MR point sweeteners.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

While the base Encore packages sometimes don't offer travel in peak season, the one Encore package we bought offered the option to pay, I believe, a $200 up-charge and travel in high season. We did that and used it to book a HHI Barony Oceanside unit in late June, 2014. It was a three or four night package as I recall. When we booked there were quite a few summer dates available. Not any date we wanted, of course, but we had no trouble finding days that worked for us.

Tokapeba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What didn't I ask that I should have? Am I eligible for bonus time at any Marriott? What does bonus time cost, how far out can you book it?

Timber lodge is only a 3 hour drive (at 5 am on a Saturday), can I get bonus time there? Can I use the facilities at Timber lodge without staying the night?

I don't know what I don't know. I want to take advantage of everything my ownership has to offer.

I will post sales price and ROFR after the deal closes or doesn't.

PearlCity

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think marriott has bonus time like worldmark or hgvc. At least to my knowledge when I was a Marriott resale weeks owner.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

catharsis

TUG Member
Reaction score
No but interval international offers some options there. (Getaways & Accommodation Certificates)

You also will become entitled to a (25℅?) discount off the full rack price on marriott.com

catharsis

TUG Member
Reaction score
While the base Encore packages sometimes don't offer travel in peak season, the one Encore package we bought offered the option to pay, I believe, a $200 up-charge and travel in high season.

In my case it was $700 to move to high season ( but you would also get an extra 25000 MR points) which I was entirely happy to pay. I could not find the times I wanted however.

We were looking for ski weeks and I was offered 1 week in park city or a few in timber lodge and none in Vail for the entire ski season .... And this included calling back weekly to check availability for a period of several months at the 10 month inventory release period.

As a result I now have an Encore which I must use by September and am struggling somewhat to use it.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't really know what is passing these days except points. Fail reports can't really be trusted or at least some should have an asterisk. So-called brokers will lie and say something failed a week ago at a certain price just to try and motivate the buyer to move up in price. I just dealt with this a few days ago. A broker claiming a few units failed at x when I know the claimed scenario is extremely unlikely.

Tokapeba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I would say make your offer and if the seller accepts send it to Marriott. If the broker says it didn't pass ask for the letter. Call Marriott and check it out. Marriott will tell you if it's legit or not. If the broker is making it up he can loose his license.

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
No but interval international offers some options there. (Getaways & Accommodation Certificates)

You also will become entitled to a (25℅?) discount off the full rack price on marriott.com

My understanding is the discount applies only to MVC properties, not all Marriott properties. Hopefully other owners can verify/correct my understanding.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My recommendation is always to consider buying a 2nd resale unit before you buy points. Buy a second MS and use the 13 month rule to get 2 prime ski weeks. Renting one should cover both maintenance fees and maybe put a few dollars in your pocket and you have a free vacation every year to use. I've been doing this with Maui and HHI Marriotts for some time now and i'm sure it will work with prime ski weeks also

Reactions: jme

disneymom1

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Ocean, Marriott Surfwatch, Marriott Manor Club Sequel
I passed the ROFR, but on www.ROFR.net one closed a week earlier for $2k less

May I ask how many days it took Marriott from submission to approval? I heard Marriott lately has been taking 2 weeks for ROFR decisions.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
May I ask how many days it took Marriott from submission to approval? I heard Marriott lately has been taking 2 weeks for ROFR decisions.

Every submission to Marriott may vary, but in the end they have to act within 30 days.

Tokapeba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think it was submitted on 2/22 and I got confirmation on 3/15. The document states that they reviewed the offer on 3/1, and that I have 4 months from that date to complete the transaction, but I didn't hear their response for another 2 weeks.

mauitraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
As TheTimeTraveler mentioned, it varies, depending on several factors. However, when we purchased our 2 bdrm. annual unit at the Grand Chateau last summer, we were pleasantly surprised. Marriott responded in 2 days!!!

Dave Ramos

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Do you mind me asking at what price? (And please post your details at www.rofr.net and/or at the ROFR thread when you have a result either way)
If you want to book in Jan outside of Sundance week it should be easy to manage.

II : You will have to pay for an interval membership (unless you already have one).

Marriott Rewards: Elite Qualifying Nights benefit - when staying at the timeshare for a week your partner will receive 7 nights elite qualifying credit if that is important.

Marriott Rewards Points: sometimes offered as incentives by MVC
You can also usually either get gifts, cash offers or Marriott points for attending an 'owner update' (timeshare sales pitch) while at your Marriott stay. In Mountainside last month we were offered MR points or 2 deer valley tickets for example.

Destination Club (as opposed to Marriott Rewards) Points:
I would probably advise against acquiring points as your 'new' week will not be able to be connected to any points you buy so there is no benefit from having the week when buying points retail (and IMHO few reasons to buy points retail)
Perhaps some resale points might add flexibility for you.

Check out the very useful FAQs on this forum related to weeks and points.

Perhaps I'm a bit new, but not quite sure why ROFR fail is a bad thing -- doesn't it mean that the resort company (i.e. Marriott) will simply pay you what you were originally asking for?

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Perhaps I'm a bit new, but not quite sure why ROFR fail is a bad thing -- doesn't it mean that the resort company (i.e. Marriott) will simply pay you what you were originally asking for?

You are correct from the seller's perspective; the seller gets the same amount of money, but from Marriott instead.

It is a bad result from the perspective of the buyer. It hurts to search for, locate, and negotiate a good deal on a timeshare and then have it scooped up by the developer.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
From what I have read is that Marriott is very slow in actually closing a ROFR deal, so a seller may be better to have a pass as they may actually get payment faster.

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
It's neutral for the seller, good for DC points owners, and bad for weeks owners...one less potential exchange week.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
It's neutral for the seller, good for DC points owners, and bad for weeks owners...one less potential exchange week.

That's the exchanger's perspective. Owners who are interested in someday selling their Weeks should be encouraged by ROFR thresholds being actively and consistently exercised because they somewhat prop up the resale market.