• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Annual Kauai Trip 2017

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
All packed and we're off to Madison, Wi for our park and fly. We always stay at the Howard Johnson. We get free parking for our stay and we save a lot of time because we don't have to get up so early and drive down there.

We have friends coming along with us for our first week. Last time they came with (2014), was there first trip to Hawaii. They only stayed three days because a hurricane came through and the airport was reporting it maybe closed for five days. They couldn't stay longer so they decided to play it safe and leave early. We've been friends for decades and she is just getting over recovering from Breast Cancer so we're all looking forward to this trip.

Last year DW got the flu the day before our flight but she pushed through and made it. This year she got bad news from her MRI and she has two tears in her tendon in her shoulder. This is the same shoulder she had operated on 7 years ago. So she's looking at surgery when we return. She's in some pain but she's been through it before and she thinks the only thing she'll miss out on is snorkeling. She wants to still try but I'm going to try keep her out of the water.

Tomorrow is mostly a travel day but after that I'll be posting some pictures throughout our stay. DW has a few things planned, I just hope I get some time to relax.:D:cool:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Have a wonderful trip, and please post updates in this thread so we can enjoy your trip vicariously.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
All packed and we're off to Madison, Wi for our park and fly.

Tomorrow is mostly a travel day but after that I'll be posting some pictures throughout our stay. DW has a few things planned, I just hope I get some time to relax.:D:cool:

Go Jeff! Hope you both have a fine vacation on my favorite island!

Dave

Kildahl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Enjoy! We are leaving the island tomorrow. :bawl:A cold front tonight brought winds and heavy rains to the Northshore but it is expected to clear Sunday night. Spent this morning at Secret Beach and the surf was dramatic. The rains held off until we finished grilling with friends tonight. We had a wonderful stay and hope you do also. Go Badgers!

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Well, we're off to the airport. First stop Chicago.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Up early and ready to go after a long trip. Here's our first sunrise from the lanai.
IMG_20170212_111531.jpg

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Got in at about 8pm, that was about a half hour early. Got an upgrade to a Ford Escape, top of the line. It really nice since we have another couple with us.

The picture above is from room F303. The buildings to the right and the left are the B and C buildings. The A and B buildings are being renovated, only the whole owned units are being used now.

We stopped quick for some groceries last night but we'll have to go for a full fill up today. My buddy and I has to stop at Burger King for a quick bite last night before bed. It was about 11pm and close to groceries.:D

Probably a walk along the coastal path this morning.

Last edited:

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Beautiful day today, 83 degrees. Had a bunch of spinner dolphins right in front of our building. Would have been on the left side of this picture.

We took our walk along the path today and got some sun. Had to go to the YMCA in Lihue to pick up our tote. DW says it seems like a drug deal when we pick it up and drop it off because it's a different place about every time. :D

Had take out at our favorite Korean BBQ and had it on the lanai. Dinner tonight at the Oylimpic.

DW won a couple of massages at the island orientation today. Plus we booked our dinner cruise for Wednesday. DW and my friend are doing a biplane ride Wednesday morning. They are both excited for that. We did have one disappointment, the tubing was all booked until after we leave. So we'll have to do that next year.

We decided our next trip will be in May 2018.
IMG_20170212_212707.jpg

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Looks like you're off to a great start! <jealous>

Dave

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Off to Waimea Canyon today. Saw some whales breaching from the lanai this morning. Breakfast at Ono' before we go.

I'll have some pictures later today.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Great day today at Waimea Canyon, with a stop in Hanapepe. DW wanted to see the red dirt waterfall so we had to keep an eye out for that on the way down. Little hint, it's easier to find on the way up than the way down. :D
IMG_20170213_185640.jpg

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
IMG_20170213_150153.jpg

IMG_20170213_143529.jpg

We also made it to the swinging bridge and glass beach. It was a long day but we had a blast. Came home and had some steaks on the grill with some beers, good day.

taffy19

Reaction score
Enjoy your trip and thanks for the pictures. :)

I have never seen a picture of the red dirt waterfall before and not in reality either.

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
We will be on Kauai in May, staying at our favorite place, Shearwater. Lots of day drives to the south side of the island, but I love the drives on that highway. Rick always drives, so I get to relax and enjoy.

Thanks for the picture of the waterfall. Is that the bridge in Hanapepe?

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We will be on Kauai in May, staying at our favorite place, Shearwater. Lots of day drives to the south side of the island, but I love the drives on that highway. Rick always drives, so I get to relax and enjoy.

Thanks for the picture of the waterfall. Is that the bridge in Hanapepe?

Yes the bridge in Hanapepe. We decided we're coming in May next year. We really liked that Time of year.

For all the years we've been coming here DW has never driven. Every year she says she will and the whole trip will go by and she won't. I don't mind though.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
What's do you gain in May? Almost no chance to see the whales that time of year.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What's do you gain in May? Almost no chance to see the whales that time of year.

Ocean is calmer, less rain and kids are still in school. We'll come over my wife's birthday and Mother's Day. No whales is the only down fall. We have been seeing tails and breaching from our lanai everyday this year. Captain Andy tomorrow.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

Ocean is calmer, less rain and kids are still in school.

We always liked going to Kauai during the last two weeks of May. Weather was up, crowds were down. Win-win. Seeing whales was not high on my list.

Dave

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Captain Andy tomorrow.

Jeff, which boat did you book? Was it one of the two "Star" boats? It'll be an awesome trip!

Dave

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Jeff, which boat did you book? Was it one of the two "Star" boats? It'll be an awesome trip!

Dave

Sunset Star fleet, all I know is steak and shrimp.:D

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Sunset Star fleet, all I know is steak and shrimp.:D

You're good to go. Both boats are good. Have fun! Wave to Niihau at sunset for me!

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
FB_IMG_1487180688762.jpg
FB_IMG_1487180503084.jpg
FB_IMG_1487180488606.jpg

We renewed our vows yesterday by the Sheraton with Shipwreck beach in the background. We had Reverand Harold from Koloa do the vows. He was excellent and even blew the conch shell. Then we went to Lava Lava for dinner.

We have the dinner cruise this evening but this morning my wife and my friend are doing the biplane ride.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Biplane ride cancelled because of weather, rescheduled for Friday. Hi sea warnifor today, I wonder if they'll cancel the dinner cruise too?

taffy19

Reaction score
View attachment 3293 View attachment 3294 View attachment 3295

We renewed our vows yesterday by the Sheraton with Shipwreck beach in the background. We had Reverand Harold from Koloa do the vows. He was excellent and even blew the conch shell. Then we went to Lava Lava for dinner.

We have the dinner cruise this evening but this morning my wife and my friend are doing the biplane ride.
Congratulations to you and your Bride. Interesting to compare the two pictures from then (avatar) and now. You still look very happy! :D