• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Mid July vacation idea's??

birddog31

Reaction score
I'm trying to book a place in Mid July for a vacation with small kids. Originally, we wanted Cape Cod area but nothing. We looked Outer Banks, Hilton Head and etc. Nothing.

Not surprised but due to my work schedule this year I had to wait to schedule.

Any idea's on where to go would be appreciated. Thanks for any help!?!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I'm trying to book a place in Mid July for a vacation with small kids. Originally, we wanted Cape Cod area but nothing. We looked Outer Banks, Hilton Head and etc. Nothing.

Not surprised but due to my work schedule this year I had to wait to schedule.

Any idea's on where to go would be appreciated. Thanks for any help!?!

Are you looking only for a beach vacation? Because if not, give Smugglers Notch a try- fabulous for the kiddies and parents alike. Or maybe a resort up in New Hampshire- Innseason Pollard Brook, BlueGreen South Mountain, Loon, Attitash. Lots of things for the kids (and adults) in the White Mountains and Lakes Region.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Florida beaches ... Pompano Beach or Ft Lauderdale. Lots of fine dining. Older resorts have more shade. If you must have the ocean.

Shawnee (Poconos area of PA along the Delaware River) has a indoor pool with a long & wide sloped entry; plus 2 or more outdoor pools (1 pool I know is in great shade). Indoor community & recreation center ... lots of kid activities planned. Has a free bus which circles the resort ... better than bring 2 cars. Very family friendly.

birddog31

Reaction score
Are you looking only for a beach vacation? Because if not, give Smugglers Notch a try- fabulous for the kiddies and parents alike. Or maybe a resort up in New Hampshire- Innseason Pollard Brook, BlueGreen South Mountain, Loon, Attitash. Lots of things for the kids (and adults) in the White Mountains and Lakes Region.
Looking for Beach places primarily. Cape Cod is are go to spot but it's always limited to begin with in booking a place.

We stayed at Massenutten in August and it wasn't bad. Seemed like you could tell it was beat up a little from being a ski town or just out dated.

birddog31

Reaction score
Florida beaches ... Pompano Beach or Ft Lauderdale. Lots of fine dining. Older resorts have more shade. If you must have the ocean.

Shawnee (Poconos area of PA along the Delaware River) has a indoor pool with a long & wide sloped entry; plus 2 or more outdoor pools (1 pool I know is in great shade). Indoor community & recreation center ... lots of kid activities planned. Has a free bus which circles the resort ... better than bring 2 cars. Very family friendly.
We seen a lot for Florida but trying to go elsewhere this year. Seems every year we go there and it's a long drive. Pocono's aren't bad but we've seen that millions of times being from Pa.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Watch that movie "Dirty Dancing"? Shawnee is pretty close to that except you cook in your timeshare unit or eat out. The place is full of families ... with lots of activities. Mfs for a fixed week is around $800 yearly... might find a rental close to that in price.

Iggyearl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have you considered Virginia Beach? For 9 years, we visited our daughter there. Clean town. Many restaurants. Great beach. Only problem, all the timeshare facilities are owned by Diamond. Last year, our daughter moved up the road to Williamsburg. Totally historic area with many timeshares, hotels and things to do. You could stay at either place and make the other a day trip. One huge drawback is that traffic between the two is horrendous.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
If you are looking to rent you can probably go wherever you want as long as you have the money. If you are looking to exchange at this fairly late date your options will be limited primarily to non beach areas along the east coast states with RCI and even more so with II and the other exchange companies.

As for Massanutten their are about 7 different HOA's in terms of the accommodations from older and slightly more rustic to quite nice. Besides Massanutten the other area that is still going to have summer availability is Williamsburg. In addition to PA and New England you may find availability in inland mountain North Carolina and Georgia If you are looking to exchange into a beach area- especially if you need a 2 br, you need to put in a request ASAP for pretty much every beach location and resort and hope.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
This late, it may be more a matter of what's available than where you have on your top 10 list. Perhaps if you compile a list of where there is availability for your tribe. Then select.

birddog31

Reaction score
We have a place to rent if need be in Cape Cod. Trying to use our points through RCI.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
In general East Coast beach is rather doable through RCI points even if you are restricted to late June through early August but you have to check at exactly 10 months for points inventory and/or have an ongoing request for weeks inventory 12-18 months in advance or check daily starting 2 years in advance.

birddog31

Reaction score
In general East Coast beach is rather doable through RCI points even if you are restricted to late June through early August but you have to check at exactly 10 months for points inventory and/or have an ongoing request for weeks inventory 12-18 months in advance or check daily starting 2 years in advance.
That's what makes things difficult for me. My company doesn't allow time to be approved for vacation to after the first of the year and it takes time due to going through list of people in seniority order.

birddog31

Reaction score
This late, it may be more a matter of what's available than where you have on your top 10 list. Perhaps if you compile a list of where there is availability for your tribe. Then select.
Just seems like points is tough to get nice places because everything has been a little run down or not available in most cases. Thats just veen my personal experience so far....

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My husband is in the same boat. They haven't bid yet for vacation. I have a very flexible job but the downside would be that I don't make very much. Last year I took off 6 weeks during the summer. I booked 3 weeks of family vacations knowing my husband would only make one and he picked the one he liked best and aimed for that one. I have 2 exchanges for this year but also I have several rentals of my own that I will use if not rented. I have an OBX beach week that he is aiming for that I decided not to even put up for rent this year.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Myrtle Beach?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just seems like points is tough to get nice places because everything has been a little run down or not available in most cases. Thats just veen my personal experience so far....
Probably a little of both, and has nothing to do with whether you are exchanging points or TPU's. The most desirable places get snapped up as soon as they become available (a year or more before move-in), and because of the number of people competing for the remaining inventory, and general seasonality of East Coast TSs, they are a bit run down. I don't hear of a new condo complexes being built and nobody is crowing about the newly luxurious refurbs they own. We hear a lot more about too-high maintenance fees and low buy-in resale prices.

As mentioned upthread, if you are willing to pay the tariff, VRBO has units everywhere.

Jim

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
My husband is in the same boat. They haven't bid yet for vacation. I have a very flexible job but the downside would be that I don't make very much. Last year I took off 6 weeks during the summer. I booked 3 weeks of family vacations knowing my husband would only make one and he picked the one he liked best and aimed for that one. I have 2 exchanges for this year but also I have several rentals of my own that I will use if not rented. I have an OBX beach week that he is aiming for that I decided not to even put up for rent this year.

Same with my husband. But he told me to go ahead and book the flight. I am not sure why he did, because last year it was near March until they did the approvals. He did ask the two guys he works with if the dates looked ok. Our week in Colorado overlapped with 2 days of one of theirs'. Every year I go through this where my husband gets annoyed with me nagging him about it! LOL! I am hoping he didn't jump the gun with the airfare trip because it would be a big problem.

He has never had any issues with his time off in all the 20 years there.

But- our 3 timeshare weeks are set in stone and I tell him that I will have to go without him if he can't do it.At least I can drive to them.

Meanwhile, at my job I put in or my time off in a new system they have and have not heard anything. I usually just send an email to the bosses when I will be off as I do not have a job that anyone has to fill in for me and it is a "non-critical" job (no patient care). I sent them an email this time as well as put it in the computer system they now have.

This is the year as per another thread I had posted last summer that I find out if he will deny my two week back to back summer vacation (which I have been taking for the past two years). Will be interesting. Been there 11 years and never had any issues.

missyrcrews

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
Our usual MO for this kind of dilemma is to put in our timeframe and very rough geographic area into RCI, and see what we can get. We've discovered some spots we might not have gone (Shawnee, and the Jackson Gore Inn in VT) if we hadn't been willing to be a little adventurous. Good luck!

jl2010

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cove At Yarmouth
I have a July 4th week at Cove at Yarmouth, Cape Cod in the exchange area here for the right trade if you have interest. Looking for something different.

gnipgnop

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would put in an ongoing search through RCI immediately for Myrtle Beach. There are so many things to do there especially with the kids. We own at Sheraton Broadway Plantation and staying there is a perfect spot for tons of thing to do. You would be right next door to Broadway at the Beach having shops, restaurants, movie theater, mini-golf, and a zip line. The resort also has an indoor pool excellent for rainy days. The beach is a public beach and is about 3 blocks from the resort. You would most likely have to drive there but it is a very nice beach.