• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Royal Caribbean end of trust

70mach1428

TUG Member
Reaction score
has anyone heard what the resorts are planning for the end of the Caribbean? Are they going to sell or buy back themselves? What have they told you? Any word on value of the resort?
Thanks
Daryl

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
When is the termination date of Royal Caribbean? What about the Royal Islander. With Royal Cancun sold, and as these continue to go away from timeshare, it really starts to limit the non AI timeshare options in Cancun

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
has anyone heard what the resorts are planning for the end of the Caribbean? Are they going to sell or buy back themselves? What have they told you? Any word on value of the resort?
Thanks
Daryl

It will be sold. TS's are dead. Sorry, but that's the fact, and the investors know it. They wanted out yesterday.

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
When is the termination date of Royal Caribbean? What about the Royal Islander. With Royal Cancun sold, and as these continue to go away from timeshare, it really starts to limit the non AI timeshare options in Cancun
If I remember correctly,
  • Royal Cancun 1977-2007 (30 years RTU - renewal for another 30 years ? owners could renew at a discounted price)
  • Royal Mayan 1983-2013 (30 years RTU - resort sold to a third party and owners got a residual)
  • Royal Caribbean 1988-2018 (30 years RTU)
  • Royal Islander 1993-2023 (30 years RTU)
  • Royal Sands 2000-2050 (50 years RTU)

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Thanks for this. Though I think you may have the Cancun and Mayan reversed. I believe it was Royal Cancun that was sold and residual was distributed to owners.

Last edited:

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for this. Though I think you may have the Cancun and Mayan reversed. I believe it was Royal Cancun that was sold and residual was distributed to owners.

Nope. Correct as written.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Nope. Correct as written.
So the Royal Mayan is now the Emporio Cancun? Was there not another property in Cancun called the Royal Cancun? Perhaps not a part of the Royal family of resorts?

buceo

Reaction score
Yes, they are going to sell and they may or may not try and buy it back themselves. Personally I lean toward them trying to buy it back. It'll then go AI and RCI points based like the others.

The Mayan is now Emporio and yes there is/was another Royal Cancun, by a different company. I think they called it "The Royal", it is a bit north of the The Sands. The Royal Resorts "The Royal Cancun" (a name they own) was called other names for a while.

BoaterMike

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Caribbean, Royal Haciendas, Marriott Grand Chateau,
The final week for RC is #43 in 2018. Last day of operations is Nov. 3. Safe bet I won't be using my week 42 in 2018.

Mike

KarenLK

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, they are going to sell and they may or may not try and buy it back themselves. Personally I lean toward them trying to buy it back. It'll then go AI and RCI points based like the others.

The Mayan is now Emporio and yes there is/was another Royal Cancun, by a different company. I think they called it "The Royal", it is a bit north of the The Sands. The Royal Resorts "The Royal Cancun" (a name they own) was called other names for a while.

It will always be VCI (Vacation Club International) or CIC (Club Internacional de Cancun) to the old timers!!

fiat1bmw

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own at the Royal Islander and were just there week 3 - some of the nicest weather we've every had for week 3 I might add. It's too bad the Mayan is gone and the Caribbean will be gone in late 2018. We're hoping they purchase back the Caribbean to keep at least 2-sister resorts side-by-side, but I'm not betting on it. They're going to a points system which I don't like since I've been accustomed to having the same week at the same resort (or I can trade/rent/rent back). If the Caribbean does change hands, it'll be a bit lonely 'till 2023...

allthingslegal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Regarding the comments about the Royal Cancun by "youppi" and "dioxide45", you are both partially correct. The Royal Cancun original name was Club Internacional de Cancun a/k/a Vacation Club International. It was the first of the Royal Resorts. Its 30 year trust was up in 2007 and instead of selling as originally planned, the Royal Resorts renamed it and offered members the chance to re-up for another 30 years. However, those owners who did not re-up received payment of their residuals.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Regarding the comments about the Royal Cancun by "youppi" and "dioxide45", you are both partially correct. The Royal Cancun original name was Club Internacional de Cancun a/k/a Vacation Club International. It was the first of the Royal Resorts. Its 30 year trust was up in 2007 and instead of selling as originally planned, the Royal Resorts renamed it and offered members the chance to re-up for another 30 years. However, those owners who did not re-up received payment of their residuals.
What was it renamed to?

SciFiFans

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Caribbean and Hyatt Windward Pointe
Thanks
Daryl
When we were there last year we asked the salesman what the plan was he said we would likely get between .79 to .89 cents on the dollar that was based on my unit which is week 16 and almost dead center of building D.
He stated the price would fluctuate based on the actual sales price when the place is sold.

Tony2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was at the RC about 2 weeks ago and fwiw was told that full residuals will be paid to all owners of record at the end of the trust. The reason being that the property is a little larger than the Mayan and the economy is much better than it was in 2013. I was also told that it is almost certain that the Emporio will be the highest bidder. They have the resources to outbid the competition and eventually want to buy the Islander also. They seem to think it’s a done deal. I was told the same story by reps at the Sands and Haciendas. Was also told there are plans to build a new Royal Palms near Puerto Morales in a couple of years.

BoaterMike

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I was at the RC about 2 weeks ago and fwiw was told that full residuals will be paid to all owners of record at the end of the trust. The reason being that the property is a little larger than the Mayan and the economy is much better than it was in 2013. I was also told that it is almost certain that the Emporio will be the highest bidder. They have the resources to outbid the competition and eventually want to buy the Islander also. They seem to think it’s a done deal. I was told the same story by reps at the Sands and Haciendas. Was also told there are plans to build a new Royal Palms near Puerto Morales in a couple of years.

That's consistent with what we were told in December. They are moving toward the points wherever possible. We'll take the $ and move on.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Caribbean, Royal Haciendas
That's consistent with what we were told in December. They are moving toward the points wherever possible. We'll take the $ and move on.
We're owners at the Royal Caribbean (bought it off a person on TUG2 in 2006) and are headed to the Royal Haciendas in May (2018). It's a little frustrating not to find any information on the Royal Resorts website-- on the timeline for getting our residual value on our Caribbean contract. Did they explain it to you in "the sales pitch" meeting when you went? We're in your boat, Mike, we've long been ready to move on from the Royal Caribbean. We're okay for now with the minimal number of points we purchased off of the Royal Haciendas, but foresee that even our kids won't use them too much in the future. VRBO and AirBNB are now the ways to go and NO ANNUAL MAINTENANCE FEES! Who knew!!?? :cool:

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks.

BoaterMike

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The answer they are providing now is consistent with the contracts. Residuals will be distributed to members in good standing after the sale. Residuals will be pro-rated based on net amount after paying expenses, including severance. Reserves will also be included in the residual calculation. Sounds like there may be more info in May or later after they open and announce all bids. Our payments, or what's left, will not be paid for a number of months (6+/-) after the closing. Other than that, there is a lot of speculation. Keep checking the owner area of the royalresorts.com site.

During the sales pitch they have offered a calculated value of residuals toward purchasing points. Not sure how they calculate this value because the property has not been sold, but I can imagine that it's more favorable to RR than a purchaser.

MaxieGetDown

Reaction score
The answer they are providing now is consistent with the contracts. Residuals will be distributed to members in good standing after the sale. Residuals will be pro-rated based on net amount after paying expenses, including severance. Reserves will also be included in the residual calculation. Sounds like there may be more info in May or later after they open and announce all bids. Our payments, or what's left, will not be paid for a number of months (6+/-) after the closing. Other than that, there is a lot of speculation. Keep checking the owner area of the royalresorts.com site.

During the sales pitch they have offered a calculated value of residuals toward purchasing points. Not sure how they calculate this value because the property has not been sold, but I can imagine that it's more favorable to RR than a purchaser.

Has anyone heard anything about a Title Company called Sandiva Title and a Travel Agency called Advance Travel purchasing the Royal Resorts timeshares? I received a call, which was followed up with a contract stating this travel agency had a buyer for my timeshare at the Islander. I only have 3 years left and the price is very good. I'm confused as to whether its a scam, and why anyone would pay (good) money for 3 years at the Islander. Anyone have any insight?

Thanks.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Has anyone heard anything about a Title Company called Sandiva Title and a Travel Agency called Advance Travel purchasing the Royal Resorts timeshares? I received a call, which was followed up with a contract stating this travel agency had a buyer for my timeshare at the Islander. I only have 3 years left and the price is very good. I'm confused as to whether its a scam, and why anyone would pay (good) money for 3 years at the Islander. Anyone have any insight?

Thanks.
Scam

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Thanks, How do you know?
An unsolicited phone call to buy your week is a huge red flag. Even more so when they already have a buyer. It is unlikely that they even know your ownership is about to end in three years.

MaxieGetDown

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. What have people experienced with the end of the ownership? Has the payout been much?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Thanks for the heads up. What have people experienced with the end of the ownership? Has the payout been much?
I don't think anyone knows and it doesn't seem like they will for a while.