• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Jungle Bliss vs Grand Luxxe Riviera Maya

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Looking at these two resorts in the II directory. Are these the same property? Some of the photos are the same and it seems that the address is the same.

It seems that this property is also a fair distance from Playa del Carmen and is actually perhaps closer to Puerto Morelos than it is Playa del Carmen. How do you get around if you stay here? We have never rented a car in Mexico, is it almost a necessity here? Or is there enough public transportation. Is there anything (restaurants, shopping) within walking distance like there is in Cancun or right in Playa del Carmen?

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looking at these two resorts in the II directory. Are these the same property? Some of the photos are the same and it seems that the address is the same.

It seems that this property is also a fair distance from Playa del Carmen and is actually perhaps closer to Puerto Morelos than it is Playa del Carmen. How do you get around if you stay here? We have never rented a car in Mexico, is it almost a necessity here? Or is there enough public transportation. Is there anything (restaurants, shopping) within walking distance like there is in Cancun or right in Playa del Carmen?

The resort complex is about a 20 minute ride to Playa and about a 30 minute ride to Cancun airport. I can't remember how long it took the bus to get to Puerto Morelos, maybe 10-15 minutes?

I would choose the Grand Luxxe over the Bliss any day. If it's the GRAND Bliss, then I'd still prefer the GL over the GB, but the GB is nice as well.

The Bliss is basicall a Mayan Palace with updated furniture, IMO.

There are shuttles that run like every 30 minutes to Playa, I *think* when we were there in Jan 2013 it was $50 pesos per person each way.

You could rent a car if you're daring, but you also have to purchase special insurance in addition to the rental car and some people on TA have reported being stopped by the police and basically forced to pay bribes even if it's illegal.

I've stayed there 2 times (once in Grand Mayan, once in Grand Luxxe). Didn't use a car either time and just did the shuttle. Only went to Playa for an entire day once and took a cab back. I *think* the cab back was cheaper as I vaguely recall it was $40 pesos for the trip (that was in 2011).

IF you choose Grand Luxxe, try to request a unit that faces TOWARDS the resort (if you look on a map the buildings are triangle shaped). You want the side of the triangle that's facing toward the resort, not the other 2 sides. There's a resort next door that blasts loud music until about 2:00 a.m. every morning and if you face that side, it'll come in through the windows. Sound carries more on higher floors as well. Granted, there's only 3 stories due to code restrictions on buildings there.

But you'll have access to the GL only pool area (very nice, staff were very well attentive), the pool USED to be heated (don't know if that's still the case), and the Burger Custom Made is right there (only GL guests may use it) which, back in 2013 had very good food and service (you could easily split a meal between two people or save half of it and reheat it in your kitchen the next day).

--Kevin

rpennisi

Reaction score
Jungle Bliss must be the Grand Bliss, since the Grand Bliss is behind the Grand Mayan Jungle building 8/9. The Bliss is among the Mayan Palace buildings 10-11.

I second the choice of Grand Luxxe over Grand or Jungle Bliss for all the reasons stated above.

lily28

TUG Member
Reaction score
Shuttle price to playa del Carmen has gone up to 80 peso each way in December 2014. It was 50 peso when we were there in august 2014. I was told the price increase was due to the economy in Mexico

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score

We have exchanged to the Grand Luxxe three times and we have two more coming up. It is a beautiful property. It is much closer to Puerto Morales than Playa del Carmen. There are excellent restaurants on property but we do go into Puerto Morales and Playa for dinner also. Actually when we were there in November, we also drove in to Cancun one night for dinner.

That being said, we do rent a car whenever we are in the Cancun area (3/4 weeks a year). We have platinum AMEX card which covers all insurance except the 3rd party liability, which we do add. If you want to go into PM for dinner, try John Gray's kitchen for dinner, it's fabulous. Also in Playa try El Fogon, wonderful hole in the wall tacos. Also Yaxache fot Mayan food.

atom

Reaction score
I thought GL and GM guests can use the MP pools, but not the other way around? The last time I stayed at the GM, we were able to use the MP pools. Our friends, staying at MP, were not allowed in the GM pools and garden area.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought GL and GM guests can use the MP pools, but not the other way around? The last time I stayed at the GM, we were able to use the MP pools. Our friends, staying at MP, were not allowed in the GM pools and garden area.

Unless they recently changed it, that's how it works. Exception being in NV where the MP can use the GM pool area/lazy river.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Unless they recently changed it, that's how it works. Exception being in NV where the MP can use the GM pool area/lazy river.

And, that is fairly new for NV. That has been one of the biggest complaints about MP/GM pools. NV had an awesome GM pool and MP people could not use it. In Acapulco and Riviera Maya, the MP had the best pool. From what I understand, the new pool in Puerto Penasco is exclusive to GM for now. It is going to have a lazy river and kids pool area, so, it may become available for MP too.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good to hear about them relaxing the pool restrictions.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Okay. I am trying to find out some more information on the myriad of properties that seem to be available in II.

These have inventory available for the dates I am searching;
Grand Luxxe Residence Club Riviera Maya - LXR
Mayan Palace Riviera Maya - MYI
The Bliss Jungle Riviera Maya IV - BJU
The Grand Bliss Riviera Maya - GBM
The Grand Mayan Riviera Maya - MYU

These are in the resort directory, but don't have any inventory when searching. Though I think they are part of resort groups above.
The Bliss Jungle - BJV
The Grand Bliss Riviera Maya - GBN

This is what I find when searching in the resort directory;
The Bliss Jungle - BJU, BJV
The Grand Bliss Riviera Maya - GBM, GBN
Grand Luxxe Residence Club Riviera Maya - LXR
The Grand Mayan Riviera Maya - MYU
Mayan Palace Riviera Maya - MYI

Why is there an inconsistency in the naming of The Bliss Jungle/The Bliss Jungle Riviera Maya IV between what you see in a search and what is showing in the II resort directory?

When I look on the Videnta Resorts website, I see the following properties;
  • The Grand Mayan Jungle
  • The Grand Bliss
  • Mayan Palace
  • The Bliss
  • The Grand Luxxe I
  • The Grand Luxxe II
  • The Grand Luxxe III Spa
  • The Grand Luxxe IV Residences (Under Construction)
  • Grand Mayan Lago

I am trying to figure out how the properties in the II resort directory/inventory match up to those on the Videnta Resort website map. Is it something like this?
BJU or BJV.....The Grand Mayan Jungle
GBM or GBN.....The Grand Bliss
MYI............Mayan Palace
GBM or GBN.....The Bliss
???............The Grand Luxxe I
???............The Grand Luxxe II
???............The Grand Luxxe III Spa
LXR............The Grand Luxxe IV Residences (Under Construction)
MYU............Grand Mayan Lago

Also, do all of these trade primarily in RCI, is that why none of them are rated in II?
I have also read some information about access within the bigger complex. Some properties may not have access to certain pools or restaurants? Can anyone clarify. We are always looking at getting back to Cancun or the Riviera Maya and since Westin Lagunamar is such a hard exchange without Starwood preference, I am exploring other options.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Go to vidanta.com

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Not trying to sound snotty, but did you read post #10? I indicated in there that I looked at the map on the Vidanta website. Thus I am trying to match-up the resort names from that map to the resorts in the II directory. I didn't find anywhere on the Vidanta website where they tell me what the II resort code is.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Here is what the website indicates about use of pools

Guests at Grand Luxxe Riviera Maya can luxuriate in beautiful, pristine pools, including a Grand Luxxe-exclusive pool, as well as The Beach Club and The Grand Mayan and Mayan Palace pools.

Guests at The Grand Bliss Riviera Maya can luxuriate in beautiful pools throughout this gorgeous, lush destination, including The Grand Mayan and Mayan Palace pools.

Your membership at The Grand Mayan allows you access to a variety of gorgeous pools, including expansive, sunny options and secluded, quiet places to lounge.

Guests at The Bliss Riviera Maya can luxuriate in the cool, pristine waters of the Mayan Palace pools.

Your membership at Mayan Palace allows you access to beautiful pools, where you can spend the day splashing away or lounging poolside with a cocktail.

These are the pools that are identified on the property map.
  1. The Grand Luxxe Pool
  2. The Beach Club
  3. Mayan Palace Pool
  4. The Grand Mayan Pool

Reading the descriptions above, I am interpenetrating it to think pool access is as follows;
Grand Luxxe Riviera Maya - 1, 2, 3, 4
The Grand Bliss Riviera Maya - 3, 4
The Grand Mayan - 4
The Bliss Riviera Maya - 3
Mayan Palace - 3

Property Map

Last edited:

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Just to simplify...you want the best units/amenities and this is Grand Luxxe. If you are there, you have access to everything you would need or want.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Just to simplify...you want the best units/amenities and this is Grand Luxxe. If you are there, you have access to everything you would need or want.

Thanks. Yeah, that was kinda the conclusion that I was coming to. It looks like the Grand Luxxe are the only ones with a full kitchen also. How do these differ from the limited kitchens at the other properties? In the event that perhaps Grand Luxxe is not available for certain dates when we want to travel, I am just trying to compare to the other options.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks. Yeah, that was kinda the conclusion that I was coming to. It looks like the Grand Luxxe are the only ones with a full kitchen also. How do these differ from the limited kitchens at the other properties? In the event that perhaps Grand Luxxe is not available for certain dates when we want to travel, I am just trying to compare to the other options.

If you can't get Grand Luxxe, take Grand Mayan. But the Luxxe units are beyondddddddd fabulous. Even the studio portion is set up as a mini one bedroom. Really awesome!
Hold out for the Luxxe. If you must take GM, take E-Plus :cool:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
If you can't get Grand Luxxe, take Grand Mayan. But the Luxxe units are beyondddddddd fabulous. Even the studio portion is set up as a mini one bedroom. Really awesome!
Hold out for the Luxxe. If you must take GM, take E-Plus :cool:

That is the problem, I can't take EPlus being an enrolled Marriott owner. So if I wanted to retrade, it would be another full exchange fee.:(

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That is the problem, I can't take EPlus being an enrolled Marriott owner. So if I wanted to retrade, it would be another full exchange fee.:(

Hmmm, are you sure???
Once you trade outside the "family" it should be business as usual.

Have you had this issue before.???

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Hmmm, are you sure???
Once you trade outside the "family" it should be business as usual.

Have you had this issue before.???

You would think, but there is no EPlus option when going through a booking. This is per the EPlus FAQ on the II website.

Currently, there are some members who do not have the option to purchase E-Plus. At this time, E-Plus is not available for Marriott Club Destinations, Club Intrawest or Diamond memberships.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You would think, but there is no EPlus option when going through a booking. This is per the EPlus FAQ on the II website.

Maybe ask a non DC Marriott owner to do a "mock booking" to see if it is given as an option???? Or else "gasp :doh:" call????

As you know, it is not necessary for m to m as we get free retrades.
But non DC people do not have the same privileges.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Maybe ask a non DC Marriott owner to do a "mock booking" to see if it is given as an option???? Or else "gasp :doh:" call????

As you know, it is not necessary for m to m as we get free retrades.
But non DC people do not have the same privileges.

Non DC members using an individual II account do have EPlus as an option. Just not us DC enrolled owners with the corporate II accounts. I suspect it is because they can't make it work technologically with the free M to M trades.:shrug:

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Non DC members using an individual II account do have EPlus as an option. Just not us DC enrolled owners with the corporate II accounts. I suspect it is because they can't make it work technologically with the free M to M trades.:shrug:

Yes, I just tried and it was not offered. :bawl:

I know you are generally a shoulder season traveler....I think I would hold out for a 1BR Luxxe

rpennisi

Reaction score
"Reading the descriptions above, I am interpenetrating it to think pool access is as follows;
Grand Luxxe Riviera Maya - 1, 2, 3, 4
The Grand Bliss Riviera Maya - 3, 4
The Grand Mayan - 4
The Bliss Riviera Maya - 3
Mayan Palace - 3"

I believe that Grand Bliss should be 2,3,4
Grand Mayan should be 3,4

Definitely go for the Grand Luxxe if you can, and Grand Bliss as second choice. I have stayed at the Grand Luxxe at both RM and NV, and the GB at NV. You can't go wrong with either one. But even the Grand Mayan at RM has a great pool area, so not too shabby either.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I believe that Grand Bliss should be 2,3,4
Grand Mayan should be 3,4

Definitely go for the Grand Luxxe if you can, and Grand Bliss as second choice. I have stayed at the Grand Luxxe at both RM and NV, and the GB at NV. You can't go wrong with either one. But even the Grand Mayan at RM has a great pool area, so not too shabby either.

#2 is The Beach Club. I don't see where that is indicated in the description for the Grand Bliss; however, it is definitely closer to the Bliss than it is the Grand Luxxe which does have access. The Grand Mayan didn't have much of a description as to what pools it had access to, so I just matched it to the pool of the same name.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Going off resort - try Collectivo option to Playa del Carmen

---------------
Hi - regarding transportation options -there is a TUG thread from Nov. 1 2015
" Best way to Wal-Mart from GM Riviera Maya - started by wheaties

It includes info on using the Collectivo system most resort staff use to get to work . It also gives recent prices on cabs and resort van transportation .

Hope this helps Dioxide 45 - once you get there -
as it does not sound like a rental is necessary