• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Desert Springs v. Shadow Ridge

NYFLTRAVELER

TUG Member
Reaction score
Which do you prefer? Which is best for young kids (under 7)?

Those of you who have travelled in the summer (late August), how unbearable is the heat?

brigechols

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed at DSVII last August. I did not find the heat unbearable (full disclosure - I live in Texas :)). Our 7 year olds enjoyed the kids club activities (Wii tournaments, ice cream social, magic show, movies, popcorn, sno cones) and all pools.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Can some compare the resorts villas unit sizes and on site activities ?

UK Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Would love to hear the responses too. We are thinking of traveling to Palm Desert next year and are torn on which property to choose. We tend to like prefer new properties, so are the of Shadown Ridge Enclaves. There will be three of us traveling-myself, my husband and my 11 y/o son.

Thanks all.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I've been to Shadow Ridge six times and DSV only once (DSV II -- and the DSV trip was short so I can't really comment on the property and will focus on what we like about Shadow Ridge.

We think the pool area at Shadow Ridge is very good -- it's relatively large in size and has a slide that the kids really like. We spend most of the day in the pool throwing a football/playing keepaway. The kids also like the activity center that is by the pool, with a chess board and a shuffle board. On Saturday they have different crafts (tie dye t-shirts/canvas painting/etc).

Another intangible that we like at Shadow Ridge is feeding the ducks off of our patio and playing freeze tag on the golf course. :ignore:

Shadow Ridge meets our needs well for family-oriented travel. When it is just Jonell and me, I'm not sure where we will go, and will be more open to revisiting the DSVs.

Best,

Greg

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Greg T, thanks for your fast response. We are looking at the last week in April 2016 or the first week of May 2016 for our 49th wedding anniversary.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Greg T, thanks for your fast response. We are looking at the last week in April 2016 or the first week of May 2016 for our 49th wedding anniversary.

I'm sure you know this, but it may be very hot then, very possibly above 100 degrees. Because it is not during a school break, I think mid-week the pools will be quiet, but the weekends are jammed with families at the Shadow Ridge primary pool. There are adult pools, but they are small (think kidney pool at an apartment). Enclaves pool appears quieter, but I've only walked through it, not spend a day there.

I will be curious to see how other TUGgers talk about the DSVs for an adult trip -- I remember mostly kidney pools at DSV I, but there was a bigger pool at DSV II. There is shaded parking at both properties, so that it is a toss-up (but important when it is over 100 degrees).

Best,

Greg

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
We love Palm Desert and have stayed in both. We now own at DSVII and that's our preferred location. Although we don't travel with young kids to Palm Desert (we are going with our grandkids to Aruba Surf Club this Saturday) I would still recommend DSV, either I or II for your trip. We like having the facilities of the JW Marriott to use and access and IMHO the grounds of DSV are the best maintained of any MVC we've stayed at. Also, the villas are big and well set up.

Reaction score
Desert Springs vs Shadow Ridge

I am an owner at DSV I but have visited Shadow Ridge.

Trying to be as objective as possible I believe DSV has definite advantages over Shadow Ridge:

1) In DSV I the units offer more in square footage vs Shadow Ridge

2) I much prefer the location of DSV except for maybe Jasmine Court in DSV II.
DSV is adjacent to the JW Marriott and although only DSV I has some privileges Monday thru Friday at the JW Hotel Fitness, pool and spa it is nice to walk over to the hotel for restaurants, golf ,etc. and other amenities. Shadow Ridge is across the street from the JW and definitely not as convenient.

3) The clubhouse facility at Desert Springs has been updated several times. They have added very items including updating the fitness area.

4) You have two great options in large pools at DSV not to mention smaller pools at various villas: the clubhouse pool which is more quiet vs the Palmeris pool for teens, etc.

Hope this helps.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm sure you know this, but it may be very hot then, very possibly above 100 degrees. Because it is not during a school break, I think mid-week the pools will be quiet, but the weekends are jammed with families at the Shadow Ridge primary pool. There are adult pools, but they are small (think kidney pool at an apartment). Enclaves pool appears quieter, but I've only walked through it, not spend a day there.

I will be curious to see how other TUGgers talk about the DSVs for an adult trip -- I remember mostly kidney pools at DSV I, but there was a bigger pool at DSV II. There is shaded parking at both properties, so that it is a toss-up (but important when it is over 100 degrees).

Best,

Greg
Thanks, for the information. But a 100 degrees plus is a little to warm for us.

taffy19

Reaction score
I believe that a trip for a wedding anniversary for just the two of you (?) would be most convenient close to the JW Marriott Hotel.

Both properties (DSVI or II) would be fine but DSVI is the closest to the JW Marriott Hotel and has a pool with a panoramic view over the ocean and a pool bar with entertainment too when we were there last plus the condos are the biggest with beautiful vistas. We love this resort. There is shuttle service too through the resort to and from the hotel as it is a big property.

Last edited:

jpc763

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's - Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge Villages & Imperial Palms Villas
I own at Shadow Ridge Villages and have traded into DSV. My brother also owns at DSV. I had the choice and decided to buy SR mainly because I really like the golf course at Shadow Ridge better. The JW Marriott Desert Springs is a great hotel with many dining options but I feel that they squeezed two golf courses where there should only have been one so I picked a place where I could play (and do play). There are SO many great dining options in Palm Desert that you will need to go off property no matter what.

I usually go in November and have gone in Spring. I have been there in August and it was 105* so it will be hot. My kids loved the slide at the SR pool and the water toys at both the Villages and Enclaves at SR. The kids club is great with a movie theater and many activities but I have found that the kids clubs are pretty similar at all Marriotts I have gone to.

You will be happy either place but we prefer Shadow Ridge.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
My family has stayed at DSVII in summer 2012 and Shadow Ridge Villages in summer 2014. Yes, it is 100+ degrees, but we don't mind the heat (and we are heading to Phoenix/Scottsdale this summer!), we lathered up on sun block and spent most days playing in the pool.

I prefer Shadow Ridge. We preferred the pool complex with waterslide and two large pools. Plus we could head over to the Enclaves pool that had a zero entry sandy bottom pool. Both had splash pads. The DSVII pool was good too. At SR, the movie theater was great, the arcade room, activities (you MUST check out the magician Anthony Hernandez, phenomenal...so much so we hired him for our daughter's 7th birthday party this year and he was a HIT), etc. You would do good at either property, but I give the nod to SR.

P.S. We also viewed a unit at DSVI and the 1BR section is humongous. The only thing though is that with young children, the 2BR setup is not the best, with the studio being a completely distinct unit from the 1BR, with the only unifying aspect being a shared foyer that connects the front doors. Kind of odd to me.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
The older Marriott DSVI 1-bed is largest, and SV Enclaves smallest (at least, that's the way it seemed to me). SV Enclaves pool was salt water when I was there a few years ago, which was nice compared to the others.

In the area I've been to DSVII (and seen DSVI), SV, SVE, along with Club Intrawest, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Mission Hills. Desert Willow is my favorite, though it doesn't have an associated hotel (which, after my last few experiences, really isn't anything to write home about), and Desert Willow is the newest of all. Typically, any of these resorts are readily available for trade during off season.

I actually enjoy the heat in August, though it is quite hot. But I also enjoy the aircon those days, too... :)

Sent from my iPad

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The older Marriott DSVI 1-bed is largest, and SV Enclaves smallest (at least, that's the way it seemed to me). SV Enclaves pool was salt water when I was there a few years ago, which was nice compared to the others.

In the area I've been to DSVII (and seen DSVI), SV, SVE, along with Club Intrawest, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Mission Hills. Desert Willow is my favorite, though it doesn't have an associated hotel (which, after my last few experiences, really isn't anything to write home about), and Desert Willow is the newest of all. Typically, any of these resorts are readily available for trade during off season.

I actually enjoy the heat in August, though it is quite hot. But I also enjoy the aircon those days, too... :)

Sent from my iPad

We have stayed at DSV 1, DSV2, WMH and WDW. We have not stayed at Shadow Ridge but have toured the property. We do not travel with kids and strongly prefer DSV 1. JW Marriott beats WMH hotel hands down with the number of restaurants to choose from and superiority in taste and freshness. The gondola ride at JW Marriott is very interesting. For golf, we have only tried Desert Willow and Desert Springs and Desert Willow is superior with respect to maintenance of the golf courses. Having hotel ammenities (good restaurants) and comfortable rooms are very important to our travel and would rate DSV1/2, WMH, WDW and then Shadow Ridge for our needs.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
How unbearable is the heat at the end of August? Do most people stay in the pool all day?

We were just there and we were in the pool all day. And it wasn't even 100 degrees. I remember arriving once mid-May and the temp gauge on the car read 113 degrees. It gets hot out there.

But if you're a pool person, you can work through it. Put sunscreen on the shoulders though. ;)

Best,

Greg

PassionForTravel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Pedro I think GregT was referring to August which NFLTRAVELER asked about. April and early May in Palm Desert are absolutely beautiful. In the 80-90's with no humidity. It can go over 100 in May but it doesn't stay there long. By memorial day it's bouncing around 100 by June forget about it. Check the current 10 day forecast and you will see.

Well GregT's and my request crossed. We visit my parents every year at Memorial day (San Diego is usually grey) and by then it's normally in the mid 90s to low 100's and it's still great by the pool since the humidity is low.

Ian

Last edited:

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
How unbearable is the heat at the end of August? Do most people stay in the pool all day?
Yes, most people are in the pool in the afternoon, or take a break in the room until evening. (The high temperature peaks at about 2-4pm.) Because its so dry, it cools quite a bit at night, with a temperature swing of over 30-40 degrees.

If you've never experienced dry desert heat, its hard to describe. I don't like the heat generally but have no problem in the desert when its 110+. The reason is because there is practically NO humidity (5-8% in summer). You can get out of the pool when its 105 and with a slight breeze you will get goosebumps. (Evaporative cooling.) Literally. Of course, once you dry it will feel hot if in full sun.

I have no problem golfing in the desert when it is 110, but wouldn't want to golf in a humid area if over 80.

We own at Shadow Ridge and think its the best PD resort with kids.

jlp879

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've spent various times of the year at all the Marriott timeshares in Palm Springs except DSV I.

I prefer the room setup of DSV II the best. All the amenities are great at both of the properties. However, with kids, it comes to the pool slide at Shadow Ridge giving that property the edge.

In terms of visiting during the summer, it is doable, and the first time we did it, I was surprised how packed the place actually was.

We got up very early each day, did an outside activity by 7 am (hiking, biking or visit to Living Desert) then home for lots of pool time. Each day in the heat of the afternoon we had a siesta and then when it was a bit cooler, hit the pools again for an extended period of time. It worked for us because the kids loved all the pool time. If you don't want to spend a lot of time in the pool, plan on lots of othe air-conditioned activity.

taffy19

Reaction score
I believe that a trip for a wedding anniversary for just the two of you (?) would be most convenient close to the JW Marriott Hotel.

Both properties (DSVI or II) would be fine but DSVI is the closest to the JW Marriott Hotel and has a pool with a panoramic view over the ocean and a pool bar with entertainment too when we were there last plus the condos are the biggest with beautiful vistas. We love this resort. There is shuttle service too through the resort to and from the hotel as it is a big property.
Sorry, I was doing two things at the same time and was thinking of the NCVs too. Yes, a senile moment now I read the thread over again. :eek:

We are hit by the Anthem hack and need a break in between so read the forum but my mind isn't really with it. Sorry.

By the way, we love both these resorts in Southern California. :)

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
We have stayed at DSV 1, DSV2, WMH and WDW. We have not stayed at Shadow Ridge but have toured the property. We do not travel with kids and strongly prefer DSV 1. JW Marriott beats WMH hotel hands down with the number of restaurants to choose from and superiority in taste and freshness. The gondola ride at JW Marriott is very interesting. For golf, we have only tried Desert Willow and Desert Springs and Desert Willow is superior with respect to maintenance of the golf courses. Having hotel ammenities (good restaurants) and comfortable rooms are very important to our travel and would rate DSV1/2, WMH, WDW and then Shadow Ridge for our needs.

I like the concept of hotel amenities, and additional restaurants. Unfortunately, the last time I went to the JW for dinner we were all disappointed with the result (there are plenty of excellent restaurants in the RM and PS area, so I no longer want an expensive dinner at a hotel while visiting the area). But, your needs may be different.

As for the WMH restaurant...I may have posted this before, but I went to their Italian restaurant and they served stale bread, bad food, and had poor service. I was polite, but concerned at the level of quality. Management refunded the cost of the entire meal (I didn't even request it). I no longer see any advantage of staying at WMH due to my poor experiences with the hotel restaurants.

On the flip side, I absolutely enjoy the small restaurant at WDW. It's simple, straightforward, serves decent meals at reasonable prices, and the staff is excellent. Though I shouldn't, I could eat their salmon sandwich every day with home made chips and be happy. It's also the little things: the staff almost always offers me an ice tea to go (Marriott wanted to charge me for another last time I was there). Of all the timeshare/hotel restaurants in the area, I consider this to be the best.

Sent from my iPad

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ken, at JW Marriott we particularly like Rockwood Grill for breakfast and lunch. We will try to make one dinner at Mikado per trip as each dinner is a zillion calories, and another zillion fats and salt, but super tasty - beats Benihana hands down. We have yet to try Fisherman's Landing but plan to do so next time. We enjoy the walk between DSV1 to JW Marriott. Taking a gondola and back for dinner is fun too. At WMH, during summer half the menu items are not available, tempura shrimp is really beer battered shrimp and yes, stale bread. But we still go back, because there are not a lot of options without leaving the property. WDW selection is too limited for us.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Ken, at JW Marriott we particularly like Rockwood Grill for breakfast and lunch. We will try to make one dinner at Mikado per trip as each dinner is a zillion calories, and another zillion fats and salt, but super tasty - beats Benihana hands down. We have yet to try Fisherman's Landing but plan to do so next time. We enjoy the walk between DSV1 to JW Marriott. Taking a gondola and back for dinner is fun too. At WMH, during summer half the menu items are not available, tempura shrimp is really beer battered shrimp and yes, stale bread. But we still go back, because there are not a lot of options without leaving the property. WDW selection is too limited for us.

I'll try Rockwood next time I'm in the area, per your recommendation. Driving isn't an issue for me when visiting PS, so I prefer to head out most days. I like teppanyaki restaurants, and Benihana is very much "just okay" in my view, and very few (at least in California) seem to be "very good". Of course, the more you drink the better the meal...

Sent from my iPad

SeaDoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Chairman's Club:
2 Marriott Newport Coasts-PLAT;
1 Marriott Desert Springs I-RED;
1 Marriott Timber Lodge - Summer-PLAT;
3 StarElite Vistana: 2 Westin Lagunamar-PLAT
Get the Shadow Ridge Enclaves - 2Br DELUXE unit... using destination points...

Make sure you request a 2BR DELUXE unit. It is nearly impossible to get this unit through II, as they treat both sides as a one bedroom with full kitchen and one bedroom with limited kitchen. It will be a larger studio with separate balcony - great for an 11 year son... Also, the slide at Shadow Ridge will be well received for that age bracket... Have a great time!!!:wave:

Would love to hear the responses too. We are thinking of traveling to Palm Desert next year and are torn on which property to choose. We tend to like prefer new properties, so are the of Shadown Ridge Enclaves. There will be three of us traveling-myself, my husband and my 11 y/o son.

Thanks all.