• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Nightly rental ideas in Poipu Kauai

Chrispee

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are staying at WPORV in May, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to get a deal in Poipu for a couple of nights afterwards. Usually I just priceline the Sheraton or the Hyatt, but I'm wondering if there's a way to get into the Marriott Waiohai without paying retail? Any ideas or alternatives from the Kauai experts on the forum?

vbk

TUG Member
Reaction score
An alterntive idea: We weren't able to trade into Poipu last summer after a week in Princeville, so we ended up renting a few nights at the Nihi Kai Villas. Rates were good, location & amenities amazing and we easily found a direct rental through VRBO.com.
Best of luck!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Not in Poipu, but there is a very nice (former Hilton) between Kapa'a and Lihue, on the same property as the Kauai Beach Villas. It is the Kauai Beach Resort Hotel - now managed by Aqua. It's a beautiful place, great pools, and rates are very reasonable. All units are studio suites.

http://www.kauaibeachresorthawaii.com/

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Not in Poipu, but there is a very nice (former Hilton) between Kapa'a and Lihue, on the same property as the Kauai Beach Villas. It is the Kauai Beach Resort Hotel - now managed by Aqua. It's a beautiful place, great pools, and rates are very reasonable. All units are studio suites.

http://www.kauaibeachresorthawaii.com/

And if you're there on a Wednesday, you can enjoy a fine dinner theater performance of Rodgers and Hammerstein's South Pacific:

http://www.southpacifickauai.com/home.html

Several years ago we stayed at the hotel when it was an Outrigger. It's a nice hotel, but like many beaches on the east shore, it's not so good for swimming. Here's a review of the hotel:

http://www.hawaiirevealed.com/free-travel-info/kauai/kauai-resorts/lihue-area/kauai-beach-resort

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
True about the swimming, but it has some of the nicest pools on Kauai, including a zero entry sand pool.

Chrispee

TUG Member
Reaction score
I saw the Kauai Beach Resort on Hotwire for $125 per night and was tempted by it, but we really want to be in Poipu for a couple of days.

I ruled VRBO as an option since it doesn't make sense to eat a cleaning fee for just two nights, but maybe I'll have another look.

I put a trade request in for Waiohai using my platinum Willow Ridge studio, but I'm guessing I'd just have to wait until flex. Seems like a waste of a trade, but we need two rooms and even getting the Sheraton or Hyatt on Priceline would probably cost at least as much...

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
And if you're there on a Wednesday, you can enjoy a fine dinner theater performance of Rodgers and Hammerstein's South Pacific:

http://www.southpacifickauai.com/home.html

We saw this show when staying on the resort side a couple of years ago. Not what I would call a high-cost production, but very well done and there was a lot of talent in the show. We felt it was worth the cost.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We saw this show when staying on the resort side a couple of years ago. Not what I would call a high-cost production, but very well done and there was a lot of talent in the show. We felt it was worth the cost.

When we saw it the cast was great, but the set, not so much. During one of the acts, a wall fell over. The cast kept going like nothing had happened.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
When we saw it the cast was great, but the set, not so much. During one of the acts, a wall fell over. The cast kept going like nothing had happened.

Oh, too funny! Anyway, we're glad we went. We were also able to sit right up front so had nice seats.

RSchwartz

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hyatt Possibility?

I have obtained a Hyatt Visa credit card and have earned two free nights at their elite Poipu location ($400+/night). Now you do need to pay an annual $85 membership fee and use the card to make a specified purchase, but you get the two free nights right on Shipwreck Beach. My wife and I are staying two nights at the Hyatt before heading up to our Cliffs timeshare in Princeville. Time may be running out for you with your May travel plans but it may be worth checking out.

You can always cancel the card after one year and still come out way ahead.

rifleman69

TUG Member
Reaction score

It entertained my wife and I on our first trip to Kauai together, but skip the food and eat beforehand. Trust me, it wasn't that good.

Chrispee

TUG Member
Reaction score
It entertained my wife and I on our first trip to Kauai together, but skip the food and eat beforehand. Trust me, it wasn't that good.

We usually only do one more expensive excursion per trip, would this show be better than a luau or high-end dinner out in your opinions?

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We usually only do one more expensive excursion per trip, would this show be better than a luau or high-end dinner out in your opinions?

Definitely go for the high end dinner at a restaurant with a good ocean view. Need suggestions? The Beach House in Poipu comes to mind.

We liked the show, but it wasn't the best thing we ever did in Kauai. The helicopter ride without doors beats everything else.

rifleman69

TUG Member
Reaction score

Go for the high-end dinner. It's a good show but don't expect anything more than luau food indoors sitting under some heat lamps. It's not good.

I think you can do better than the Beach House too, but I'd go back there over the luau/show.

Chrispee

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have obtained a Hyatt Visa credit card and have earned two free nights at their elite Poipu location ($400+/night). Now you do need to pay an annual $85 membership fee and use the card to make a specified purchase, but you get the two free nights right on Shipwreck Beach. My wife and I are staying two nights at the Hyatt before heading up to our Cliffs timeshare in Princeville. Time may be running out for you with your May travel plans but it may be worth checking out.

You can always cancel the card after one year and still come out way ahead.

This sounds good, unfortunately I am ineligible as a Canadian. :bawl: