• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2012] First Issue Renting my Timeshares

gnorth16

TUG Member
Reaction score
Quote:

"I ask for funds to be sent friends and family or gift way through pay pal so there is no fee. No use of credit card etc. the party renting sends real funds and I immediately withdraw the funds."

Does this against paypal policy when the parties are trading actually?

I have been asked to do this as a buyer and my last rental, the renter went and did this on their own.:D As long as it is not ebay and no contract, who is to know???

Wait !!! By saving myself and the renter money, won't this eventually raise the paypal fee for others by 0.01%???:hysterical:

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I ask for funds to be sent friends and family or gift way through pay pal so there is no fee. No use of credit card etc. the party renting sends real funds and I immediately withdraw the funds.

Make sure they send it to the right e-mail or phone number. Once its sent it is a lot of effort to get it reversed.

exyeh

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The reason I asked is: I was warned by another owner for this method, he said if paypal finds out they will suspend your account, then no pp account can be used. I only use once myself, to this trusted seller.

exyeh

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Make sure they send it to the right e-mail or phone number. Once its sent it is a lot of effort to get it reversed.

The money sent by this way has no return. You can't complain to anybody anyplace. Unless the receiver agrees to return it back to you.

HenryT

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cypress Pt, Eastern Slope Inn, HRA, SBP, WSJ, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Veranda Beach Club, HGVC Hurricane House, Wyndham: Long Wharf, Royal Vista, & SeaWatch Plantation.
Update

Looks like PayPal will fight the renter''s credit card company for me. In the meantime though they have not only reversed the payment I received from the renter but they also deducted a "settlement fee" charged by the renter's credit card company from my account. The email from PayPal is below:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Please see below for more information on your case that was recently closed.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear xxxxx xxxxx,

-----------------------------------
Transaction Details

Buyer's name: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Buyer's email: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Transaction ID: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Transaction date: Apr 9, 2012
Transaction amount: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Case #: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Your transaction ID: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Your buyer filed a chargeback with their credit card company asking to reverse the above payment. Although your buyer reversed this payment, we want to work with the buyer's credit card company to get your money back.
We are using the information you sent us to dispute the reversal.

Please note that because the buyer already reversed the payment, it has been removed from your PayPal balance. The settlement fee the credit card company charged for the reversal was also deducted from your account. If the credit card company decides the case in your favor, this money will be credited back to your PayPal balance.

Keep in mind that the credit card company determines the timeframe and outcome. It may take up to 75 days for the credit card company to reach a final decision. We will email you once they complete their investigation.

What to Do Next

If you have any additional information related to this transaction, please send it to us as soon as possible.

Here's how to send us information:

1. Log in to your PayPal account.
2. Click "Resolution Center" near the top of the page.
3. Click "View" next to this case and follow the instructions.

Other details:

This transaction was reversed for the following reasons(s):
This chargeback type is not covered under PayPal Seller Protection.

If you have questions about chargebacks and how to avoid them, log in to your PayPal account and click "Help" at the top of any page.

Sincerely,
PayPal

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Glad to see that Paypal will fight for you. I hope your dishonest renter learns something from all of this.

richardm

TUG Member
Reaction score
I must have missed something here...

Glad to see that Paypal will fight for you. I hope your dishonest renter learns something from all of this.

Perhaps I read it wrong.. I hope I read it wrong... If not, PayPal is even worse than I imagined! And a few people here appear to be drinking the poisoned kool-aid!

That statement read to me that Paypal withdrew not only the funds deposited to his account, but also the additional fee which he already paid to paypal from the renter's payment?

So.... Paypal still got paid for the transaction and the seller in this case not only lost all his payment, but also had to pay the paypal transaction fees twice??

.... and an email that says they are "using the information you sent us to fight the reversal" somehow makes this OK?

PayPal was paid. The renter has all his money back.. And the owner doesn't even have the ability to communicate with the credit card company that issued the charge back- but instead has to depend on some unknown entity at PayPal.. To me it seems as if PayPal really had his back- they'd have refunded the transaction fee from their end..

I especially love the "don't call us, we'll call you" referring him to the "help" section of the website.

It's like they want every owner to be forced to demand the "friends and family" payment type from a renter. That way the renter has no recourse and it costs the timeshare owner zero!

exyeh

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is a long thread and I may got lost somewhere. But my experience to handle the unpaid/scan issue last time was: I disputed it with my cc company. Although it was thru pp using cc, I went to cc routh. It may take sometime to got it back (30-45 days) but I completed bypass pp and got every penny back thru cc company.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
This is a long thread and I may got lost somewhere. But my experience to handle the unpaid/scan issue last time was: I disputed it with my cc company. Although it was thru pp using cc, I went to cc routh. It may take sometime to got it back (30-45 days) but I completed bypass pp and got every penny back thru cc company.

You are at the wrong end of the stick - this thread is about renters who dispute LEGITIMATE rentals and steal money from owners.

exyeh

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I know but isn't that you can dispute the money you got paid from the other party with the cc company? like the merchant dispute with the customer? --- I guess not?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I know but isn't that you can dispute the money you got paid from the other party with the cc company? like the merchant dispute with the customer? --- I guess not?

Owners have no access to the credit card company - they have to go through PP.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
Question

I have never rented a timeshare so this is just for my information.

As a consumer I use credit cards and will not even own a debit card. With a credit card I have protection if there is a dispute with a vendor. I don't remember the details but twice in my life I got charges taken off my card because I did not get what was promised.

With a debit card I do not have this protection. The debit card is basically a check from a checking account that you don't have to write out. If a dispute arises, it's all on the debit card user to fight for his/her rights.

Whew, heres my question. Through Paypal, can you designate that you will only accept payment from debit cards or direct payments from a bank account?

When I pay for something by paypal the form asks me where I want the money to come from, my CC or my bank account. I always choose the CC. Does it work the same way from the vendors end of it?

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
I primarily use a debit card and have had no problems disputing charges.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Whew, heres my question. Through Paypal, can you designate that you will only accept payment from debit cards or direct payments from a bank account?

You could state that on the invoice, and refuse the payment if the renter used a credit card. However, many renters need to use a credit card to spread out their payments, so that would probably cut into your business.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
You could state that on the invoice, and refuse the payment if the renter used a credit card.

Thanks for that info, I was just curious.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Please note that this thread is nearly a year old...

lcml11

Reaction score
Thanks for your input, but I prefer the advice of my attorney and accountant. ;)

Glad to hear at least someone listens to the poor attorneys and accountants over some of the advise that shows up on TUG.

As a side note, Ron is probably right, try and re-rent the unit and let the matter go if it re-rents at the same or more. If it rents under the orginal amount, then the balance could probably be kept.

FrostyKev

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since this is over a year old, but has been bumped back to the top, any idea how it turned out? I just finished reading the thread but am waiting for the final chapter of the book!:banana:

HenryT

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cypress Pt, Eastern Slope Inn, HRA, SBP, WSJ, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Veranda Beach Club, HGVC Hurricane House, Wyndham: Long Wharf, Royal Vista, & SeaWatch Plantation.
Since this is over a year old, but has been bumped back to the top, any idea how it turned out? I just finished reading the thread but am waiting for the final chapter of the book!:banana:

The way it turned out was that the renter's credit card company sided with them and I was not able to recover the payment. I can't imagine what criteria the credit card company used to justify their decision since I provided them with a copy of the rental agreement which clearly stated that no refunds are allowed unless I am able to rent the unit to someone else at or above the same price.

I was able to eventually rent the unit to someone else but I did not get reimbursed for the fee PayPal charged me to receive the payment from the orignial renter even though the payment was reversed.

The funny thing is a month or so later the original renter emailed me to see if my unit was still available! I did not bother to reply to them.

Econfkids

Reaction score
I am new to renting my [timeshare on Kauai.] At the same time I would like to sell it. I am selling it for $1.00 and seller pays closing costs. Good idea to try to rent and sell at the same time? Econfkids@yahoo.com

Last edited by a moderator:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you rent it, it will make it harder to sell it, because a new owner usually doesn't want to wait a year or more, for first usage.