• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Rental car Shock

suzanne

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have full size car reserved with Enterprise for 14 days. We reserved thru Costco, total cost $422.00. I went to check on prices today and that same car is now $637.00. YIKES, So glad I listened to you all and reserved when I did. I will keep checking to see if prices drop before our arrival on Big Island Nov. 3rd.But that was definately sticker shock. :D

Suzanne

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Thanks for the reminder. I just rechecked our reservation for Maui (Nov 2). The cost is the same for the compact ($160 for the week) but the cost of a convertible has dropped from $350 to $200, so I made a new reservation!

suzanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good deal. I need full size as there is 4 of us older (plumper) adults. :D

Suzanne

Elli

TUG Member
Reaction score
Suzanne, we had reserved a full size car through Costco at a very good rate - Budget was the cheapest - and got upgraded to an SUV.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Suzanne, we had reserved a full size car through Costco at a very good rate - Budget was the cheapest - and got upgraded to an SUV.

It may depend on which rental car company you get. I rented through Costco and got a car with Enterprise. This was in Tampa. I did get a very nice Camry, but I was offered an upgrade to an SUV......with an increase in the price. I turned them down.

Bee

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a jeep reserved on Maui in mid October $200 w/tax for a week. Reserved with Thrifty about two months ago.
Also on Maui, I have a mid size car reserved in mid October for $101 w/tax. I booked through rentalcarsavers.com. This is the first time I used this site, it was posted about a week ago by a Tugger. I'm sure we'll keep the Jeep, but that $101 for the mid size car is a good price.

On Kauai I have a mid size SUV reserved through Costco for mid October, $168 w/tax. I made this reservation about 3 or 4 weeks ago.

I always make rental car reservations early then look again when it gets close to departure date. Most of the time I find better prices. There have been a few exceptions, usually in high demand times and places.

suzanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
I will continue checking prices right up til we leave because you just never know when a rate will drop.

Suzanne

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Doesn't anyone use discount hawaii car rental.com any more? Use to be unbeatable prices.

Sterling

Each time I've checked them their price has been beaten either by my corporate discount, or by Costco.

Elli

TUG Member
Reaction score
It may depend on which rental car company you get. I rented through Costco and got a car with Enterprise. This was in Tampa. I did get a very nice Camry, but I was offered an upgrade to an SUV......with an increase in the price. I turned them down.
We didn't get a price increase, otherwise I would have turned it down as well, but sure nice getting an SUV, as we drive one at home.

daventrina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC (Diamond) Platinum HI/US HGV Max
The best rate that we have found was by clicking on the add car on Hawaiian Air... :eek:

15 days ($19.95 extra days) $469 mid-size SUV $138.00/Week :cheer: (+ $90/week in fees and taxes :annoyed: )

Last edited:

mjkaplan

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lawrence Welk Resort, San Diego, CA
Marriott's Desert Springs Villas II , Palm Desert, CA
you can submit your rental info at Autoslash.com and they will continue to search for a better rate.

fern817

Reaction score
Costo Car Rental Rates for Hawaii

I have always found the best rates on Costco.com and I recommend checking it daily or at least every other day. About 3 weeks ago I started pricing car rental on Oahu for 11 days in Nov. during Thanksgiving for both a Full size and intermediate SUV. I surprisingly found that pricing fluctuated up and down almost daily! These are rates that I found for both over the past 3 weeks:

Full size: $415 $274 $231 $175 $171
Int. SUV: $507 $411 $397 $297

Whenever I saw the rate lower, I booked it and cancelled the previous reservation. As you can see, at some point the rates have dropped $200+ from my original reservation so it's definitely worth it to take 3 minutes every morning just to check the rates! :cheer: Almost all of these rates are from Alamo and include the spouse free as an addition driver. You can't always find that outside of Costco. Taxes and fees are included as well!

Discount Hawaii Car Rental (DCHR) found me a full size for $403, then emailed back a lower rate for $353 but has not emailed back since in 3 weeks. In that same time I've found a full size rate that dropped to $171!!! :whoopie:

Just trying to decide if the SUV is worth the extra $120. But either are great rates!

ronandjoan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Telemark, Townhouses at St Augustine Beach and Tennis Club, Stoneridge Resort (ID)
I have always found the best rates on Costco.com and I recommend checking it daily or at least every other day. About 3 weeks ago I started pricing car rental on Oahu for 11 days in Nov. during Thanksgiving for both a Full size and intermediate SUV. I surprisingly found that pricing fluctuated up and down almost daily! These are rates that I found for both over the past 3 weeks:

Full size: $415 $274 $231 $175 $171
Int. SUV: $507 $411 $397 $297

Just trying to decide if the SUV is worth the extra $120. But either are great rates!

WOW , how great. I don;t check that often, I should . Good advice, and I will now!

I need a month in December and just one day saw $904 (taxes/fees included) for the entire month.....both before and after when I checked they were much more.

Kauai Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
A compact thru Costco for 3 weeks in Mar 2013 $950.70

Thru Discount Hawaii Car Rental compact for same 3 weeks $651.59

I'm not a member of Costco maybe that is why their price is so much more.

If I was a member what would the rate be for 10-30 Mar 2013?

Sterling

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
A compact thru Costco for 3 weeks in Mar 2013 $950.70

Thru Discount Hawaii Car Rental compact for same 3 weeks $651.59

I'm not a member of Costco maybe that is why their price is so much more.

If I was a member what would the rate be for 10-30 Mar 2013?

Sterling

Sterling, I'm not sure if you have to be a member of Costco to see their discounted price. Maybe you do. I know I'm asked for my number at some point during the reservation process. I'm going to go check and see what I come up with.

You didn't say which island. I assumed Kauai. It didn't ask me for my Costco number up front and the best price I'm getting for those dates is $986.00. That's today. If you keep checking as it gets closer to the date I bet those Costco rates will go down dramatically. At least that's what I've found.

Last edited:

suzanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did not need to give my Costco Member number to check the rates. I had to give it when confirming the reservation. It also states in the fine print that you have to show your Costco Card when picking up the vehicle.

Suzanne

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I did not need to give my Costco Member number to check the rates. I had to give it when confirming the reservation. It also states in the fine print that you have to show your Costco Card when picking up the vehicle.

Suzanne

So far we've never had to show our Costco card when picking up the car.

Fisch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Point at Poipu
Doesn't anyone use discount hawaii car rental.com any more? Use to be unbeatable prices.

Sterling

I always get a quote from them. We leave on Wednesday to Kauai. Back in April I booked a standard car for 10 days through discount hawaii. It was $350(costco was $450). That was by far the best price at that time. Last week, I checked again and got the rate at $295.
I then checked Costco. $235 for the standard car, $250 for an SUV. So we booked the SUV at costco and cancelled the Discount Hawaii.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Sounds like I better get a Costco card then.

Sterling

And if the island has a Costco with gas that's the cheapest place to buy it. :D

Kauai Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Costco

I couldn't rent a car from their site without a $55 costco membership.

Savings was $139.57-$55 for the card=$84.57 savings for two weeks

Discount Hawaii $432.32 Costco $ 292.75

Mahalo, Sterling

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
I couldn't rent a car from their site without a $55 costco membership.

Savings was $139.57-$55 for the card=$84.57 savings for two weeks

Discount Hawaii $432.32 Costco $ 292.75

Mahalo, Sterling

Ha! I am sitting exactly at $292.75 for my upcoming 2 weeks in Kauai (Nov). Lol I'm still trying to get a load in that. Do you think I'll have any luck with that?