• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Deed in Lieu of Foreclosure

Reaction score
Can someone tell me what it consist of? I know it will affect my credit score, but can they still come after me for something ie. more money?

Last edited:

FractionalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can someone tell me what it consist of?

This is an agreement between an owner and Marriott to give back the unit week(s) in lieu of Marriott foreclosing the property.

An owner may request this but as I understand Marriott doesn't have to agree with it or make an offer to provide it.

An owner can always try to negotiate their exit strategy. Remember, it’s usually in Marriott's best interest to work out a deal with the owner. It costs them some money to process the transaction and in the end it’s reported as an operational loss at the property.

I think the two main areas where they go after this transaction is (1) Delinquent Loan Payments, (2) Delinquent MF.

I suspect we will see some level of strategic dumping of units from owners who belong to the DC points system and have a portfolio of properties enrolled. To some folks it might make sense to dump a week that has high MF and very little return value from assigned DC points. These folks still have other legacy weeks which can be converted to points and used so making a strategic foreclosure may make sense to some owners.

Last edited:
Reaction score
What are the consequences beside your credit taking a bang?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

Are you doing this because of delinquency in maintenance fees or a mortgage for the timeshare? Not sure if a deed in lieu for MFs would hurt your credit score, but a deed in lieu for mortgage delinquency probably has already taken the hit because you would have to be behind on mortgage payments in order to do the deed in lieu.

FractionalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

In my opinion, the credit hit is way over blown. I have 2 friends who had to give up their units because of extended job loss and they told me their credit was minimally impacted since they wrote letters to be included in their credit files explaining that the real estate foreclosure on their report was a timeshare.

I personally think banks and car dealerships could care less about foreclosed timeshares. Obviously, if there are other negative items on the credit report besides the timeshares, I would expect the credit hit to be much larger and the impact to the consequences more prevalent.

I can't comment on other consequences since I have not been through this personally, but I would encourage others on this BBS who have experienced this to help out any fellow TUGGERS in need of this type of information.

Reaction score
We are DC points owners only. We haven't paid since March 2012, purchased in March 2011. They offered us a deed in lieu and yes it already affected my credit score. That don't bother us, because we don't plan on making any big purchases soon.

I went to our bank and they told me that after they would still lend me some money even if our credit was hit by this, but want to know if they can still come after me once the deed in lieu is signed.

Any advice would help!

Thanks.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I am not sure if Florida is a recourse state or not. Though I would think that would only matter if they actually foreclosed. Either way, just be sure to get everything in writing indicating that after the deed in lieu is done that you will have no further obligation and no further monies owed on the loan.

Reaction score
Thanks. I was planning on them providing me a letter of that sort prior to signing the deed in lieu. I'm waiting for it in the mail anytime.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We did a Deed in Lieu on our Oceanwatch Property

Last year a job loss caused us to be unable to make the monthly loan payment. We advised Marriott of the situation and they prepared paperwork, we signed and have not heard anything more from them. We did lose all that we had paid, our down payment and several years of monthly payments. In years to come I believe lenders will be more understanding of things like Deed in Lieu and Short Sales. It is a sign of the times and reflects on credit report better than a foreclosure.