• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Northern California Beach Resorts

LAinDallas

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
Wondering if there are any northern California beach resorts that are good to visit. I've heard the water is cold in northern Cali, but we're looking to take the family up there next summer. Any recommendations? Wanting to be close enough to visit friends and family in San Fran and Morgan Hill.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Avila Beach. I haven't stayed there, but it's a beautiful area. Won't be all that close to San Francisco though.

There are also a few timeshares in the Carmel area. Not on the beach, but again a beautiful area.

Coastal California is going to be difficult to get during the summer.

And yes, the water in northern California is cold.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
Hello all,
Wondering if there are any northern California beach resorts that are good to visit. I've heard the water is cold in northern Cali, but we're looking to take the family up there next summer. Any recommendations? Wanting to be close enough to visit friends and family in San Fran and Morgan Hill.

http://tug2.com/tsmaps/TimeshareMaps.html

You can start here then go to the TUG resort data base to learn what Tuggers are saying about the different resorts. You will have to join TUG to see the reviews but it's only $15 and worth every penny.

If you can't or don't want to join you can check reviews on Trip Advisor also.

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score

Almost as cold as the water in SoCal! ;)

Nah, not quite, but the water off of all California is cold (at least in my view).

But, I think you are right about Avila Beach being the only TS the coastal area questioned, but I think it's more central rather than northern CA, isn't it? :shrug:

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Almost as cold as the water in SoCal! ;)

Nah, not quite, but the water off of all California is cold (at least in my view).

But, I think you are right about Avila Beach being the only TS the coastal area questioned, but I think it's more central rather than northern CA, isn't it? :shrug:

(shows how much I know about that part of the state! :eek: )

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Not only is the water cold, but the area is cold as well. We were in SF on Saturday and it was 62 degrees. It wasn't foggy (although it certainly can be in the summer) it was clear, sunny and 62 degrees.

I would forget about a beach vacation - I'd stay in a nice timeshare in San Francisco and enjoy all that San Francisco has to offer. I like the Worldmark and the Wyndham best - they are the newest.

If you really want a beach day - drive down to the Santa Cruz boardwalk for the day. About 90 min. if you avoid commute time. You could visit your friends in Morganhill on the way back from Santa Cruz.

15084707_BG1.jpg

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pine Acres Lodge
1150 Jewell Ave.
Pacific Grove, CA 93950
Phone: 831-372-6651
RCI: 0455
II: PNA

WorldMark Marina Dunes
3295 Dunes Drive
Marina, CA 93933
Phone: 831-883-9478
RCI: 5799
II: WDU

Highlands Inn, A Hyatt Vacation Club Resort
120 Highlands Drive
Carmel, CA 93923
Phone: 831-620-1234
II: HYI

GEVC at Lighthouse Pointe
22900 Shoreline Highway 1
PO Box 154
Point Årena, CA 95468
Phone: 707/882-2440
RCI: 8771

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
Pine Acres Lodge
1150 Jewell Ave.
Pacific Grove, CA 93950
Phone: 831-372-6651
RCI: 0455
II: PNA

WorldMark Marina Dunes
3295 Dunes Drive
Marina, CA 93933
Phone: 831-883-9478
RCI: 5799
II: WDU

Highlands Inn, A Hyatt Vacation Club Resort
120 Highlands Drive
Carmel, CA 93923
Phone: 831-620-1234
II: HYI

GEVC at Lighthouse Pointe
22900 Shoreline Highway 1
PO Box 154
Point Årena, CA 95468
Phone: 707/882-2440
RCI: 8771

+Pacific Grove Plaza
620 Lighthouse Ave
Pacific Grove, CA 93950

LAinDallas

TUG Member
Reaction score
Awesome map

http://tug2.com/tsmaps/TimeshareMaps.html

You can start here then go to the TUG resort data base to learn what Tuggers are saying about the different resorts. You will have to join TUG to see the reviews but it's only $15 and worth every penny.

If you can't or don't want to join you can check reviews on Trip Advisor also.

I'll have to join soon. Next thing on my list. But that map is great! Thank you for sharing.

LAinDallas

TUG Member
Reaction score
The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Avila Beach. I haven't stayed there, but it's a beautiful area. Won't be all that close to San Francisco though.

There are also a few timeshares in the Carmel area. Not on the beach, but again a beautiful area.

Coastal California is going to be difficult to get during the summer.

It will my first time to Cali and the wife wants a beach vacation next summer. I guess I'll have to look real hard or find a decent rental.

LAinDallas

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not only is the water cold, but the area is cold as well. We were in SF on Saturday and it was 62 degrees. It wasn't foggy (although it certainly can be in the summer) it was clear, sunny and 62 degrees.

I would forget about a beach vacation - I'd stay in a nice timeshare in San Francisco and enjoy all that San Francisco has to offer. I like the Worldmark and the Wyndham best - they are the newest.

If you really want a beach day - drive down to the Santa Cruz boardwalk for the day. About 90 min. if you avoid commute time. You could visit your friends in Morganhill on the way back from Santa Cruz.

That's what I might do. That beach looks like fun, especially that boardwalk.

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
It will my first time to Cali and the wife wants a beach vacation next summer. I guess I'll have to look real hard or find a decent rental.

The properties listed were from the map, perhaps near scenic coastal vistas, but for a "beach vacation" I would be looking 400-500 miles south

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill

Good luck with that. :D We took a beach vacation with our dds quite a few years back. Anywhere you stay on the coast during the summer is going to be expensive. We were doing hotels as we didn't stay anywhere more than a night or two. So, if you're going to stay in one location for a week or more you might be able to find better pricing. But start looking early.

LAinDallas

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good luck with that. :D We took a beach vacation with our dds quite a few years back. Anywhere you stay on the coast during the summer is going to be expensive. We were doing hotels as we didn't stay anywhere more than a night or two. So, if you're going to stay in one location for a week or more you might be able to find better pricing. But start looking early.

That's some advice I see every where on here: look early. That's why I'm trying to do my homework now. I've looked on DAE, Redweek, and even TUG and don't see any rentals or exchanges for that far out though.

LAinDallas

TUG Member
Reaction score
The properties listed were from the map, perhaps near scenic coastal vistas, but for a "beach vacation" I would be looking 400-500 miles south

And I thought Texas was big! Sheesh. I agree. The beachy areas seem closer to SoCal. But Santa Cruz looks like fun.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
And I thought Texas was big! Sheesh. I agree. The beachy areas seem closer to SoCal. But Santa Cruz looks like fun.

Santa Cruz is a good day trip for kids, but it has no timeshares.

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score

Haven't been there since the late 70's, the coaster was rickety back then -
The Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk is California’s oldest amusement park and a designated State Historic Landmark. Home to a National Historic Landmark, a 1911 Charles I. D. Looff Carousel and 1924 Giant Dipper roller coaster, the Boardwalk has been owned and operated by the Santa Cruz Seaside Company since 1915

In the Winter the Surf can be legendary there

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mavericks_(location)

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
Check out Southern Ca.

I think that Rent Share's advice to look 400 miles south is a good one. If your wife wants a classic beach vacation (warm sunny weather where you can lay in the sun...), then you really should be looking south. SF can be quite cool at times in the summer and being fogged in for much of the day is not unusual either. SF is a great place to go to wineries.

San Diego has a number of timeshares and rentals on or near the beach. Newport Coast is a nice area also. But there are tons of other beach communities in Southern Ca.

Don't bother coming to Ca. in May, June or early July unless you don't mind the moderate chance that it will be overcast on the coast. On the coast it is real common to have "May gray" or "June Gloom". Actually Sept after the kids are back in school can be sunny, delightful and sometimes the ocean is even warm enough to swim in comfortably (like maybe 70 to 72 degrees).

A couple day trip to Catalina Island could also be memorable. :cheer:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I think that Rent Share's advice to look 400 miles south is a good one. If your wife wants a classic beach vacation (warm sunny weather where you can lay in the sun...), then you really should be looking south. SF can be quite cool at times in the summer and being fogged in for much of the day is not unusual either. SF is a great place to go to wineries.

San Diego has a number of timeshares and rentals on or near the beach. Newport Coast is a nice area also. But there are tons of other beach communities in Southern Ca.

Don't bother coming to Ca. in May, June or early July unless you don't mind the moderate chance that it will be overcast on the coast. On the coast it is real common to have "May gray" or "June Gloom". Actually Sept after the kids are back in school can be sunny, delightful and sometimes the ocean is even warm enough to swim in comfortably (like maybe 70 to 72 degrees).

A couple day trip to Catalina Island could also be memorable. :cheer:

This is great advice. I was just coming back to suggest you ask your wife what a "beach vacation" means to her. If it means warm water, sun, and being able to swim in the ocean, then you definitely don't want northern California.

But, if she just wants to be on the coast, then that opens up your choices a lot.