• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2012 ] Questions for Paniolo Greens Owners

DianeG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I've picked up a couple of "bargain" EYO weeks recently, for Paniolo Greens (not Shell). I intend to use them. Up to now, we have managed at least 4-6 weeks in Hawaii every couple of years. Big Island is our favorite and the one we want to keep returning to. The last time we were there, we exchanged into Paniolo Greens and really liked the unit and the surrounding area.

Here are a couple of questions to current owners:
Why do you think that there are so many cheap weeks available for this particular resort?
The maintenance fees are currently at a reasonable level, for Hawaii. Do you think that significant increases are coming up?
Is there any reason I should not purchase any more, if I can carry the MFs?

Thanks for your opinions.
Diane

Last edited:

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I've never stayed there but I did tour the grounds and went into a 2 bedroom
Unit last year. I thought everything was maintained very well. So I wouldn't
Think they have any major updates coming up. As long as they have a good
Reserve fund, you should be good. A few things in my opinion keep this resort
From being very popular and these work in your favor since you've been there
And like it. They are both location. First, being on the Big Island. The Big Island
Doesn't draw like Maui and Oahu. Second is the location of the resort. It's not
On a beach or very close to a town.
I love the Big Island and could definitely stay at Paniolo but DW thought it was
Too isolated and she wouldn't stay there.
I've been watching Hawaii timeshare sales on EBay for the last two years and I
Think there are less Paniolo units this year compared to early last year. I was
Considering a purchase there before I went to see them for myself. I think for
The MF'S they are a great deal and not even too bad as a trader once in a while.

Just my 2 cents for what it's worth.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Diane, I don't know where you're shopping for your timeshares, but Sumday Vacations is a reseller that offers some straight-up purchases for a variety of popular timeshare resorts. They currently have three offerings at Paniolo Greens. Their website lists them as an "all in" purchase price, no extra fees or anything. When you compare ebay purchases and added fees, these seem to be reasonable prices. Note that one of these is a two week purchase, as well. May work to your advantage if you want to own more than one additional week:

http://sumdayvacations.com/products.php?cat=151

Dave

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Keep watching Sumdays website, if you see one you like you may want to jump
On it. It seems they sit on their site for awhile then they list them on EBay.
When they hit EBay, they have a funny minimum bid starting anywhere from
$14.75 to $44.97. They start out with fees of $298. If it doesn't sell it usually
Gets relisted at the same minimum bid but the fees go down to $198 and then
They eventually go down to $98 if they don't sell.

Liz Wolf-Spada

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed at Paniolo as exchangers, liked it and bought there cheaply through eBay. We own 1 week and combine it with a trade to get 2 weeks in Hawaii. To us, it is like coming home on our favorite island, near my favorite beaches.
Liz

eakhat

TUG Member
Reaction score
One of the reasons we bought at Paniolo is we felt the maintenance fees would be lower because it is farther from the ocean. It's more work and takes more money to maintain a resort on the ocean.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Whenever a resort feels like home, I think it's a perfect match!!

Jim Bryan

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Paniolo Greens is one of our favorite Time shares on Hawaii. It is always our first pick. Cooler up there and close to Hapuna Beach.

DianeG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sweet priced unit on eBay right now!

I just picked up what should be my last a few days ago, and there's another ending this afternoon (I'm not bidding), with no closing fees, no transfer fees etc... A good deal! Search for "waikoloa" and it'll come right up.

Thanks for your responses, I'm reassured - I am very happy with my purchases so far!
:cheer:

PS - it went for a total of $102.50

Last edited:

Picker57

TUG Member
Reaction score
Paniolo Greens is one of our favorite Time shares on Hawaii. It is always our first pick. Cooler up there and close to Hapuna Beach.

Both excellent points, and do NOT forget Mauna Kea Beach nearby. In my never-humble opinion, Big Island doesn't have as many really good beaches as Maui, but it has the best.
I also agree with the statement about a place feeling like home. I don't need a place that feels like Donald Trump's home, and Paniolo - walking the golf course at sunup and dusk - is perfect for me. Enjoy !!

----Zach

DianeG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Booked for 2013

Well, between January and March this year, we acquired 5 biennial weeks at PG (4 odds + 1 even). That means we carry a 2.5 annual MF charge, which is quite fine by us. The best part is that instead of trying to make it back every couple of years, now we are committed to it.

We so pleased with the outcome: the even is used as a trader (through SFX) and we have 4 weeks booked from Feb. 10th to March 10th for 2013. :whoopie:
This will be our fourth visit to the island.

Maybe I'll get to meet some of you then... :wave:

I agree, PG feels like "home", not really like a resort per se. I like the laid-back feel of it, the friendly staff, the sense of community, the funny turkeys, and the occasional donkey spotted on the way home from the beach. I absolutely love the farmers market on Saturday in Waimea - IMO, the best on the island for its atmosphere.

Each time I come to the island, I give myself a "flower" budget. Where else can I have a "mad" budget of $25 a week and get enough ginger, bird of paradise, protea, orchid, tuberose, etc. to fill a couple of vases?? :D

Picker57

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow.....what a great schedule. And - if you're a golfer - don't forget the Big Island Country Club. This has got to be the best-kept (golfing) secret on the island.
Question: We're Shell members and I know the fees are a bit higher than deeded weeks. Can you give me an idea of what a deeded week runs at Paniolo?
Mahalo nui loa,
Zach

Last edited:

cmh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Diane, I'm a fairly new owner at PG and will be there for the first time Feb 16 - 23rd, then off to Kauai for a week. Maybe I'll get to meet you then!

DianeG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Question: We're Shell members and I know the fees are a bit higher than deeded weeks. Can you give me an idea of what a deeded week runs at Paniolo?

The MF on a annual deeded week runs in the $680 range. Divide that by two for each biennial week ($339) for this year.

DianeG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Diane, I'm a fairly new owner at PG and will be there for the first time Feb 16 - 23rd, then off to Kauai for a week. Maybe I'll get to meet you then!

Maybe we should start a separate "roll call" thread for the Big Island for that week... :hi:

Picker57

TUG Member
Reaction score
The MF on a annual deeded week runs in the $680 range. Divide that by two for each biennial week ($339) for this year.

Thanks Diane - good to know. Through Shell it's about $100 more; still a great place and value. You mentioned the farmer's market in Waimea - the one in Hilo is also teriffic (though a bit more of a drive).
---ZK

Jim Bryan

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Both excellent points, and do NOT forget Mauna Kea Beach nearby. In my never-humble opinion, Big Island doesn't have as many really good beaches as Maui, but it has the best.
I also agree with the statement about a place feeling like home. I don't need a place that feels like Donald Trump's home, and Paniolo - walking the golf course at sunup and dusk - is perfect for me. Enjoy !!

----Zach

Maybe we'll bump into one another some morning. Hopefully we can avoid the Billy Goats! :)

Picker57

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've not been on B.I. for a few years. Where are/were the goats? We'll be on B.I. this November, but down at Holua. Nevertheless am looking forward to the beaches up closer to Paniolo.

----Zach

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We see the goats almost every time we go to the BI. Then hang out in the rocky coastal areas next to the beaches between Waikoloa and Kona.

DianeG

TUG Member
Reaction score
donkeys

We see the goats almost every time we go to the BI. Then hang out in the rocky coastal areas next to the beaches between Waikoloa and Kona.

Although their numbers are way down, we usually spot the wild donkeys ("Waikoloa Nightingales") usually once we turn up the road to PG (way up past the helipad).

Liz Wolf-Spada

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have occasionally seen them there, but I used to like watching them on the golf course.
Liz

Picker57

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, I need to ratchet up my powers of observation. We've been there several times and I only recall seeing turkeys on the golf course (no, not the kind wearing plaid shorts...). Have you seen the goats and/or donkeys on the course in the past few years?

----------Zach

geoand

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Although their numbers are way down, we usually spot the wild donkeys ("Waikoloa Nightingales") usually once we turn up the road to PG (way up past the helipad).

I know that there are many goats to see when on boat snorkel trips to Captain Cook and beyond. The crew members told us that the goats are hunted and that very few white goats exist anymore (too easy to spot). Don't know the truth to any of that, but it does make sense.

Liz Wolf-Spada

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know we have not seen them at least the last 2 years. I'm not sure about the year before that.
Liz