• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[Kauai Trip Report - merged] Arrived in Princeville at Alli Kai II

Kauai Kid

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Arrived Sat at 7pm, via Honolulu, yuck. :D

Sunday Attended Wai'oli Hui'ia church, the green one, in Hanalei. :hi:

Took a long nap to help reset our internal clocks and then attended a welcoming party with great drinks provided by Alii Kai's original developer Ron Wright and ably assisted by Tom Denet, a VP from Grand Pacific Resorts. :D

Ron has major improvements in the works and already the pools, hot tub have been upgraded; there is a new very large covered cabana by the pool, and one unit is completely redone.

All the owners and guests brought food and after three drinks and a full tummy everyone became part of the Alii Kai family. :D

Highlight of the evening was the guitar viruosity and singing of Cap Jon who enetertained a captivated audience, spotted a rainbow and sang "Somewhere Over The Rainbow". He can be reached at 808-651-2448 or johnnybgood@hawaii.rr.com :cheer:

Incredible to be able to travel to Paradise in a day.:D It took the first missionaries 6 months to travel to Hanalei! :eek:

It is Monday and we're finally on Hawaii time and looking forward to our Sunset Dinner Sail with Captain Andy's able crew.

Sterling :wave:

Last edited:

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
What a great start to your return home (that sounds better than a start to your
Vacation:D ). How's the crowds? Is the Ali Kai full? DW and I were talking about
Our return this weekend. Keep us updated an the adventures.
I heard they were working on the Hanalei bridge until the fall is that causing any
Problems?
Enjoy!!

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ahhhhh...We just got back from 3 weeks and I am still adjusting to the time change...326am in Houston but only 1026pm on Hawaii time.

Our last week we stayed at your Maui Schooner and loved it!!!! It was our first trip to Maui. It was ok but we still like Kauai better. We decided we needed to make at least one more trip to maui to be sure.

Next trip - Oct 2013.

Kauai Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
What a great start to your return home (that sounds better than a start to your
Vacation:D ). How's the crowds? Is the Ali Kai full? DW and I were talking about
Our return this weekend. Keep us updated an the adventures.
I heard they were working on the Hanalei bridge until the fall is that causing any
Problems?
Enjoy!!

Lotsa kids everywhere. bridge fine. part of the hillside on the approach from princeville is slipping.

capt andy's sunset dinner sail out of elele was great. drive back was 1.5 hrs.

more later,

sterling

JeffW

TUG Member
Reaction score
What was your reason for choosing Alli Kai? I'm researching places to stay for a possible Fall trip (likely using an RCI exchange for Kauai), and A/K was one on my consideration list. Thanks.

Jeff

Calyn79

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Sterling and Marilyn
It is great to read that you are back on Kauai as I know just how much you love it there and it sounds like you are really happy with Alli Kai II!!! It was really nice meeting you at the Point this past year. And good that you finally got another year's whale trip in with Captain Andy's as last year you had to pass due to weather. I've also read somewhere that you've 'dissolved' yourself of all Point ownership....happy for you on that one. We were still on Kauai in March when the 2-3 weeks of rains came and washed out the roads. So I take it the hill into Hanalei is still one way traffic. We'll be back on Kauai early November for a few months and perhaps we can get together again as I'm sure you also have upcoming winter weeks planned too. Some of our time after December will be on the north shore.

I'll be following your posts and wish it was us....so you folk just have a wonderful time enjoying and keep posting with your activities and Kauai updates./Marilynn & Charlie :wave:

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Sterling, we are going to miss you on Kauai, but we will be on Maui for whale season, late Feb-mid March, so see you then!

Anxious to see Alii Kai improvements but will be staying at Shearwater this August for two weeks. So excited for that trip! :cheer:

Kauai Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
What was your reason for choosing Alli Kai? I'm researching places to stay for a possible Fall trip (likely using an RCI exchange for Kauai), and A/K was one on my consideration list. Thanks.

Jeff

The main reason Jeff is that we love it here and own five week. Other reasons include many friends we have grown to love and cherish, Wai'oli Hui'ia Church congregatioin, choir and Kahu Alpha Goto.

On our first, and at the time we said only trip to Hawaii, we stumbled on NaPali Kauai club (part of the Alii Kai complex), made up our mind at home and bought two weeks via mail. When I got word that the NaPali Kauai club would be dissolved in a couple years, We bought two weeks at Alii Kai managed by Grand Pacific and I stumbled on an e bay auction where I picked up a third week that was an estate sale for $1 with all closing costs pre-paid.

Alii Kai is not for the action crowd and what a delight to have a cup of coffee on the lanai and the most noise you will hear is the rustling of the Palms in the trade winds, bird song, and an occassional rooster crowing

Over 50% of the resort owners are MD's who need to get away from the stress of caring for sick people.

The resort is undergoing major renovations including the adult pool, the kiddy pool, the hot tub, installing a new covered cabana, and completely redoing the rooms with all new furniture, kitchen, baths, etc. There is one proof of concept room that looks like it belongs at the Marriott and Hyatt.

Oct would be my choice for the complex to visit.

Sterling

Kauai Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Aloha from Paradise: We'll be here again 3-16 Nov.

I'd lost your email as I wanted to get your opinion on the best time to visit Lake Louise and Banff.

Went sailing yesterday on a sunset dinner cruise with Captain Andy's wonderful crew. Drive back was too long, too late, and darker than a politicians heart.

Sterling

Poobah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Farmers Market

Sterling,

What is the local take on the Hanalei Farmer's Market situation?

Cheers,

Paul

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Sterling, did you take the Capt. Andy's cruise Monday evening? Which boat were you on?

Dave

Kauai Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were on the Akialoa, a big cat with twin marine Cumins diesels that sounded beautiful to my engineering ears. 4 hr awe inspiring trip where we saw spots where many movies were filmed. Drive to Princeville took 90 very, very dark minutes. So dark I missed the Princeville exit :eek: and turned around at Foodland.

Sterling:

Kauai Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pau Hana Bakery in Kilauea

Give yourself a treat and buy a slice of their chocolate mac pie and share it with your loved one. Very rich.

Sterling

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Was that for breakfast or did you take that home?:D
Hows the weather been? Are you getting an escape from Texas heat?
I found out at work today I may have to go back to Houston next week.:mad:
Third time in six months. It's getting old and this time I won't escape the heat.

Kauai Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
weather perfect. little shower at night to keep things green. Morning on the lanai almost chilly with the trade winds 68. low 80's during the day but breezy. a few clouds. Whole Island seems dryer than normal especially the south shore. Good for cactus and dust.

Sterling

Kauai Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Kauai Traffic

Things move slowly, if at all, on Kauai. We were on the South shore in January and construction of a wide highway by the shopping center and community college was causing long backups.

Here it is six months later and if there has been a foot of concrete additional laid you could fool us. Same construction mess six months later. :eek:

Sterling

Kauai Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Coffee Drinkers beware of Alii Kai II

Alii Kai II resort, managed by Grand Pacific Resorts, does not have coffee for your first morning. Pack your own or fight the crowds at Foodland after flying 12 hrs. :eek:

Boo on that mgt decision. :mad:

Sterling

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wyndham has had the HOAs dumping the sample coffee for almost the last 6 months. Now they have started NOT supplying liquid dish soap, shampoo & rinse, and clothes soap samples. Popcorn and free powdered drinks went bye-bye 2011.

ouaifer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Wyndham has had the HOAs dumping the sample coffee for almost the last 6 months. Now they have started NOT supplying liquid dish soap, shampoo & rinse, and clothes soap samples. Popcorn and free powdered drinks went bye-bye 2011.

We still had these supplies in February 2012. Just spoke to some folks last week, and they still had the supplies.

Poobah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Night drive to Princeville

Sterling,

I know what you mean. When we drove back from the P@P annual meeting to Pu'u Poa I couldn't believe how hard that drive was. Man, it was dark. My finger nail prints are still in the steering wheel!:rolleyes:

I would never do it after a Capt Andy's, we would have to find a place on the south shore and spend the night.

Cheers,

Paul

Kauai Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score

AKI has dish soap, dishwasher detergent but does not offer fabric softner sheets, shampoo or rinse, or clothes detergent. Previous users left a partial bottle of laundry detergent.

Sterling

Kauai Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
road to hanalei

road crews repair the landslide damage on the approach from princeville to the 1913 one lane bridge across the hanalei river from 730 am-530 pm.

there will be delays because of one lane traffic mon-fri

sterling

Kauai Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Correction: there were guard rails on the Makai (ocean side) of the road when you could spot them through 3 feet high grass. They were working on the Mauka (mountain side) when we went by. Still a lot of water coming out of the mountain--no wonder they had a landslide Crews install Jersey dividers on the mountain side when they are not working.

There were no flaggers there on Sunday when we went to church at Wai'oli Hui'ia.

Remember that was a severe storm that dumped 55" of rain on the islands in 37.5 hrs almost an inch and a half every hour.

Sterling

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
We were on the Akialoa, a big cat with twin marine Cumins diesels that sounded beautiful to my engineering ears. 4 hr awe inspiring trip where we saw spots where many movies were filmed. Drive to Princeville took 90 very, very dark minutes. So dark I missed the Princeville exit :eek: and turned around at Foodland.

Sterling:

Close encounter, but not quite! We were on the Southern Star that night! Maybe we saw each other in the waiting area before boarding. You had a blue boarding pass - mine was red. I was the handsome devil in the sunglasses... ;-)

Dave