• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Discount Hawaii Car Rental

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
FYI for those who are heading for Hawaii:

I started this thread because I got that great reservation price quote from Discount Hawaii Car Rental. Just now I was putzing around on the Thrifty website, seeing if I could squeeze a lower rate. I entered my same Oahu dates for this June, and it gave me a so-so rate that was about the same as the DHCR quote I already had.

But in the returned rates page was a link to "Hot Deals." I clicked that, and got the same car, same dates, same everything, for more than $50 cheaper. I now have a Mid-Size for a week on Oahu in June for $25.08 per day, including all taxes and fees. :cheer:

It was Promo Code 312, if you want to give it a try.

Dave

dyi27308

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Annual WKORV OFD
Maui Car rental, 5/12-5/26

I booked via discounthawaiicarrental back in Dec 2011 and was quoted $422 for an Economy car. Today I checked Costco Travel and booked for those same dates, with a Compact car for $361.00

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I booked via discounthawaiicarrental back in Dec 2011 and was quoted $422 for an Economy car. Today I checked Costco Travel and booked for those same dates, with a Compact car for $361.00

I just went to the Thrifty website using your dates, and got you the same car for $333, all in. See my post #51 just above yours for how it worked. It is Promo Code 963. :shrug:

Dave

Last edited:

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I just went to the Thrifty website using your dates, and got you the same car for $333, all in. See my post #51 just above yours for how it worked. It is Promo Code 963. :shrug:

Dave

tried it for August and it said it was an invalid code.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
tried it for August and it said it was an invalid code.

Look at post #51. The Promo Codes it returns are different, apparently. When you click the "Hot Deals" link, it'll show you the best deal for that time frame. In the case of the poster above, I used his dates to get that price, and it ended up showing that it was Promo Code 963.

I can check using your dates, if you want. A deal is a deal, right? :)

Dave

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also check on rentalcarmomma.com and rentalcar.com

Many deals start to show up about 60-45 days prior to travel.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

Fletcher921

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Mission Hills, CA;
Los Abrigados, AZ;
The Whaler, HI;
Playa Del Sol Costa Sur, MX;
Westgate Park City, UT
:clap: Thank you for making me re-check our upcoming rental for Maui - ended up using codes from Costco. Best I had found was $365 + taxes for a FCAR - but now confirmed a Minivan for $310 plus taxes - for TWO WEEKS! $479 total.

Mahalo!

curbysplace

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau, Marriott Streamside-Birch, Marriott Custom House
Just checked Costco and the price in Oahu just dropped to $147 for a standard car for May 19-May 26 with Alamo. The lowest price for any vehicle in Maui was a minivan also from Alamo at $189 for May 26-June 2. Booked them both. The savings from my earlier-made reservations with Discount Hawaii were good but not nearly this good. This made it well worth the $55 Costco membership fee.

Last edited:

dyi27308

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Annual WKORV OFD

Dave

I just checked Costco for May 12-26, and Alamo has a compact car for $237.00. There must be some type of rental car surplus or agency pricing war. My two week rental prices went from $422 to $331 to now $237.00.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I just checked Costco for May 12-26, and Alamo has a compact car for $237.00. There must be some type of rental car surplus or agency pricing war. My two week rental prices went from $422 to $331 to now $237.00.

That's great! Just goes to show you have to keep checking to get the best deals. I wonder what the numbers will be like as your trip gets closer?

Dave

suzanne

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wanted to update info for our rental for November. Thanks to TUGGERS I rented thru Discount Hawaii Car Rental.

What we got for 2 weeks from Nov. 3 thru Nov. 17th, 2012 is thru Thrifty, an Economy Car the Chevy Aveo. Base Rate for 2 weeks $288.00 with all the added fees the total rate is $443.87. I went to the Thifty Website. Same car Base Rate $463.98, total with all the fees $645.91. I then clicked on the hot deals link. There I found a Compact Ford Focus Base Rate $422.98 total with all fees $600.09.

So just want to say a BIG THANKS to the OP for starting this thread. Savings are great. Has anyone found cheaper rates elsewhere? I plan to keep checking rates until our trip. I think this is a good rate but never having rented a car in Hawaii before, I'm not sure.

Suzanne

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Wanted to update info for our rental for November. Thanks to TUGGERS I rented thru Discount Hawaii Car Rental.

What we got for 2 weeks from Nov. 3 thru Nov. 17th, 2012 is thru Thrifty, an Economy Car the Chevy Aveo. Base Rate for 2 weeks $288.00 with all the added fees the total rate is $443.87. I went to the Thifty Website. Same car Base Rate $463.98, total with all the fees $645.91. I then clicked on the hot deals link. There I found a Compact Ford Focus Base Rate $422.98 total with all fees $600.09.

So just want to say a BIG THANKS to the OP for starting this thread. Savings are great. Has anyone found cheaper rates elsewhere? I plan to keep checking rates until our trip. I think this is a good rate but never having rented a car in Hawaii before, I'm not sure.

Suzanne

Suzanne, I'm the OP. Glad to give you some options to try. You'll definitely want to keep checking around, but keep your best confirmed reservation as you go. One nice thing about car reservations is there are no problems cancelling them. Chances are the numbers you're seeing is due to the time of year, and as you get closer, the rates may change. Keep checking.

I've been tweaking my own reservations for my June trip to Hawaii, and my most recent is even lower than I quoted earlier in this thread. I now have a midsize for a June week on Oahu for $162, including all taxes and fees. This was one of those Hot Deals on the Thrifty website. That's the lowest I've found anywhere.

It pays to keep looking, right? :)

Dave

suzanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dave. I will keep checking. I understand that Oct/Nov is slow season for the Islands so hoping as it gets closer rates will drop. Thanks again for your post.

Suzanne

cgeidl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good rate for second driver

We rented two weeks on Oahu and one on Hawaii over Easter vacation and ordered a mid size which turned out to be a large size on both islands .Rates were close to $250 per week but included a second driver at no additional charge. There were some lower rates but they were a bit higher with a second driver.

curbysplace

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau, Marriott Streamside-Birch, Marriott Custom House
Initially booked with Discount Hawaii which had by far the best prices but the latest from Costco is Alamo at $95 for a standard size car for 5/26-June 2. The best price for any location anywhere I've seen in a very long time. Still stuck at $147 on Oahu for the prior week also for a standard car. These rates are well worth the $55 membership fee even when considering there is no Costco in my home community. Called Discount Hawaii the opportunity to meet these prices but they didn't want to take calls or call me back to discuss them.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Initially booked with Discount Hawaii which had by far the best prices but the latest from Costco is Alamo at $95 for a standard size car for 5/26-June 2. The best price for any location anywhere I've seen in a very long time. Still stuck at $147 on Oahu for the prior week also for a standard car. These rates are well worth the $55 membership fee even when considering there is no Costco in my home community. Called Discount Hawaii the opportunity to meet these prices but they didn't want to take calls or call me back to discuss them.

Is that $147 the base rate, or does it include taxes? I just checked Costco and they show a Full Size at Alamo for 5/19 to 5/26 for $89 plus tax, or $152, all in. I see an Intermediate car the same week for $148, all in. Is this what you're seeing? $95 for a week is great, if it includes fees.

Dave

Last edited:

Wishiwasatthebeach

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you

Thank you BMWguynw and others,

I saw this post from the beginning and tried my dates on Oahu and Kauai but Alamo's rates were more than Discount Hawaii Car Rentals. I kept trying a few times and today the rates went down.

HNL - 3 days SUV (cheaper than full size) 5/22 to 5/25 $145.51 incl. taxes. BTW, one week is only a few dollars more than this rate.

LIH - one week premium car 5/25 to 6/1 $239.97 incl. taxes.

Of course, one additional driver is free.

DHCR quoted me around $145 for full size on Oahu and $286 for full size on Kauai.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Don't know if anyone has posted this information or not.

When we rented Alamo through Costco, there was going to be an additional charge for the second driver. We opted not to do it so dh was the sole driver. I don't know if the rate we had gotten through discounthawaii included the second driver free.

If you need to have multiple drivers it's just something to consider.

Wishiwasatthebeach

TUG Member
Reaction score
Costco Alamo - 2nd driver is always free and we've been doing this for years. I just booked today through Costco's website. The strange thing is it made me create an account to log in in order to book the rez. I went to Alamo.com to verify if Alamo got my rez and found it. I also filled in driver's license and addresses, etc and added myself as 2nd driver and the confirmation from Alamo came back with the description 2nd driver's name ($9.99/day) but the line total = $0.00. :)

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I just booked today through Costco's website. The strange thing is it made me create an account to log in in order to book the rez.

Costco has changed their car booking procedure, and you now need to be logged onto their Travel site to make the car reservation. After you book it, as you found, you can deal direct with the rental agency. But I think if you need to modify the reservation, you'll need to cancel and rebook rhrough Costco.

Dave

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Costco Alamo - 2nd driver is always free and we've been doing this for years. I just booked today through Costco's website. The strange thing is it made me create an account to log in in order to book the rez. I went to Alamo.com to verify if Alamo got my rez and found it. I also filled in driver's license and addresses, etc and added myself as 2nd driver and the confirmation from Alamo came back with the description 2nd driver's name ($9.99/day) but the line total = $0.00. :)

This was certainly not our experience renting through Costco and using Alamo on Maui. However I didn't go in online to add the second driver, we were either told, or the option was available when we used the kiosk to get the contract.

I had the same experience with Alamo using Priceline. When we went to pick up the car we were given the option of adding the second driver, at a fee.

Wishiwasatthebeach

TUG Member
Reaction score
This was certainly not our experience renting through Costco and using Alamo on Maui. However I didn't go in online to add the second driver, we were either told, or the option was available when we used the kiosk to get the contract.

I had the same experience with Alamo using Priceline. When we went to pick up the car we were given the option of adding the second driver, at a fee.

Luanne,
We've been to Oahu and Kauai many times using Alamo through Costco and the additional driver was free, even when we added myself at the kiosk. This year I decided to fill in all the information on Alamo's website to cut down kiosk time. I just clicked on Terms & Conditions in each coupon box on Costco's website and it states this "One additional-driver fee is waived for Costco members at participating Alamo locations." I am assuming Maui isn't included. Please call Costco's toll free 1-877-849-2730 to be sure.

2nd driver for free is a Costco benefit. When you book through Priceline, they charge for 2nd driver. We've done Priceline in the past and I had to forgo driving because of the extra charge.

Each company is different as well as location. When we rented at Budget in LAX, they told us spouse is automatically included for free and spouse doesn't have to sign the agreement. Whereas on Kauai, when I had to add myself at the rental desk, Alamo made me sign the rental form in addition to DH's form.

Here is the link to FAQ http://www.costcotravel.com/#18_rentalCarFAQ

Rental Car FAQs
Thank you for considering Costco Travel for your car rental. Before booking your rental, please take a moment to read the frequently asked questions provided below.

Q: Why do I have to register with Costco Travel to book a car?

The savings Costco Travel provides is intended for Costco members. To ensure we are offering the best rate, we ask members to register to verify their Costco membership. Prices can be viewed without registering, but before confirming a rental you will be required to register by providing your membership number, last name and email address, and creating a password.
Q: How many times will I have to register?

You only have to register on Costco Travel one time. After you’ve registered, you can log in to your profile to view past bookings made with Costco Travel. You also will be able to view itineraries and print them at any time.
Q: Can I use the same profile and password I use when shopping on Costco.com?

No. You must create a new profile on Costcotravel.com.
Q: Can I add insurance to my car rental?

You can add optional insurance with the rental car company when you pick up your vehicle. The cost is the same as if you were to prebook the insurance.
NOTE: Car rentals do not qualify for Costco Travel Trip Protection through Travel Guard.
Q: Is my Costco discount being included?

Yes. All prices on our website reflect the Costco member discount plus any applicable taxes and fees on the car rental. If you select optional services such as GPS, child safety seats, ski racks, etc., the cost for that service will be included in your rate. Please note that the taxes for these optional services are not included in the rate. Also, if the driver is younger than 25, there may be an underage driver fee that is not included in the price shown. Any additional fees for optional services and underage drivers will be charged by the car rental company at the time of pick up.
Q: Will I be able to view my reservation on the car company’s site?

Yes. After making the reservation, you will be sent a confirmation email. There will be a confirmation number in the upper right-hand corner of the email you receive. This will be the same confirmation number you use to view your reservation on the car company’s website.
Q: How do I cancel or change my car rental reservation? Will I be charged any fees?

You can cancel your reservation online at Costcotravel.com by logging in and selecting “Your Account,” or by calling the car company directly. If you want to change a reservation, it is recommended that you cancel your current reservation and book a new one. Typically, car rental companies do not charge to cancel a booking unless you have booked a prepay promotional rate (currently not available on Costcotravel.com).
Cancelling your car reservation is quick and simple:

Your account profile will show the order number, description and departure date of your reservation.
Select the order number you wish to cancel.
Click “Cancel Booking.”
A pop-up message will ask if you wish to cancel this rental car reservation. Click “Yes.”
You will then be returned to your account profile where the cancelled reservation will no longer appear.
Q: How can I speak to a Costco Travel representative?

Reservations agents are available to assist you Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., and Saturday and Sunday from 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Pacific Time. Call toll free 1-877-849-2730.

Last edited:

Eagle7304

TUG Member
Reaction score
I found that Costco could save us almost $100.00 on a car in May. The only problem is that Alamo closes at 10:30pm. Our flight arrives at 9:40pm from Sacramento. Not sure I want to chance that our flight will not be delayed and we will get there before they close at Alamo. Dolllar closes at 11:00pm