• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

World's Largest Telescope

Kauai Kid

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Approval has been granted for construction of a 30 meter telescope on the summit of Mauna Kea.

A consortium of California and Canadian universities will be building the telescope which would be able to observe planets that orbit stars other than the sun and enable astronomers to watch new planets and stars being formed.

Where in the world are California Universities getting the funds to build this telescope?

What value added to society does this telescope have especially in these difficult times?:confused:

Sterling

vbk

TUG Member
Reaction score
TMT tele

If you look at the construction report on their website, it's not just the California Universities and Canadian funding. Funding goes into much deeper, international private pockets. Many times certain monies that are received during fund raising are specifically donated towards projects, individuals and grants.

Although the telescopes are controversial because the area is considered sacred by some Hawaiians, there is a lot of pressure in the science community to update older scope sites on Mauna Kea. Hopefully in the current economy it will bring jobs and more revenue in forms of tourism to the Big Island. Considering the almost defunct NASA space shuttle program, it will also give educators and students another place to turn for space education.

jacknsara

KBV Forum Moderator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pahio Kauai Beach Villas, Pahio Shearwater
... What value added to society does this telescope have especially in these difficult times?:confused: Sterling
Aloha Sterling,
That sounds a lot like a question that Galileo was asked. ...
As a former young avid amateur astronomer (now just arm chair), I find enormous value in the study of the cosmos. The Hubble telescope along with its photographs enjoy a lot of popular support. Further conversations regarding the value of science probably belong in the lounge.
During a tour of the observatories at Mauna Kea a few years ago, I learned that it is very hard to expand the the number of observatories on Mauna Kea, but old ones are removed and replaced with new.
Jack

Stefa

TUG Member
Reaction score
I won't comment on the value of THIS telescope, but one of the telescopes savel us $$$$ some years ago.

We honeymooned on the Big Island some 15 years ago and made the mistake of stopping at one of the "information booths" along Ali'i drive. We fell for the "give us 90 minutes of your time and we'll give you this great free gift" line and agreed to take a tour. Fortunately for us they weren't able to schedule us because of a road closure during the only time we could attend the tour. Apparently, they had to close the road so they could bring in a new telescope.

I can't say for certain, but I'm pretty sure we would have fallen for the pitch had we attended the tour. At the time I didn't even know what a timeshare was, but we fell in love with Hawaii and probably would have bought whatever they were trying to sell us.

Last edited:

Kauai Kid

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I wonder how much progress would be made in eliminating cancer if the telescope funds were used for cancer research?:
Sensitive Issue with me--I have a young friend who is a nursing student who is undergoing chemo and radiation therapy for lung cancer.

Sterling

Last edited: