• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Just bought helicopter tour for Kauai!

Liz Wolf-Spada

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I know, Denise, we could crash, but probably we won't and we have never done this. I am excited and figure this is a once in a lifetime type thing to see Kauai from the air. It is such a beautiful island and we don't go there often and there is so much you can't see otherwise.
Liz

scrapngen

TUG Member
Reaction score
We did that once on our first visit to Kauai many moons ago. I still remember how awe inspiring it was! Zipping in and out of the Na Pali cliffs and seeing all the waterfalls was really a once-in-a-lifetime memory. I realise that someday we should take our girls, but the risk does bother me as a mom. But for me personally, I'd go again in a heartbeat!

Have a great time!:cheer:

linsj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
Hi Liz,

Been there. Done that. Loved it!!!!

You'll have an amazing time.

Kathleen

I agree. It's a great way to see Kauai, especially areas you can't get to otherwise.

timesharejunkie4

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
You will love it! Since my first helicopter tour in Kauai, I have done one on the Big Island, Vegas and the Grand Canyon. Hopefully I will be doing more in other places too!

psuwalt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Blue Hawaiian

Did this in September. Absolutely loved it. As did my wife who's afraid of flying and heights.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I've only done one helicopter tour, and that was on Maui. The views were spectacular, especially as we came up over the volcano. However, I felt like I was going to be sick the entire first half of the trip. Something about the motion of the helicopter that really bothered me. "If" I ever take another helicopter trip, which I'm not real inclined to do, I would probably take something for motion sickness.

hotcoffee

TUG Member
Reaction score
One of the things about Kauai is so much of the island is inaccessible. A helicopter tour is the most practical way to see the island interior and the Na Pali coast up close. We certainly were not sorry that we took the tour. I don't think you will be either.

gnipgnop

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are certain of motion sickness what is best to take? I am frightened and I get sick.......but I still want to take a helicopter ride when I get to Kauai. Which is the best Company to use?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I don't do helicopters, but here is what I do for ocean trips:

The night before your trip, take a regular dose of Bonine at bedtime, and avoid alcohol, and greasy or spicy foods in the evening.

In the morning - eat a light, non-greasy breakfast, and take another dose of Bonine 1 hour before your trip.

I get very motion sick, and this always works for me.

Ann in CA

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Mountainside, Marriott's Waiohai, Marriott's Canyon Villas, Marriott's Marbella, Shell Vacation Club
We also loved the helicopter tour of Kauai. It was just so spectacular and fun. We have the video with the music from our flight, and every time I hear that music anywhere, (Over the rainbow/Wonderful Life by Israel Kamakawiwol'ole) it just takes me right back to that day. You'll be so glad you went!

gnipgnop

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a helicopter Company to use. We were in Kauai in 2007 and we did not take advantage of the helicopter trip. I regret it every time I think about it. Now we are going back in 2011 and I want to do it. Who knows, I may never the the chance to do it again, I'll soon be 70. YIKES!!!!:eek:

akp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've already booked ours for June 2011...

We booked with Blue Hawaiian based on the recommendations in Kauai Revealed.

Can't wait...but I'm gonna have to!

tiel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Go, go, go!!!

We did this a couple of years ago, despite the fact that I suffer from a fear of heights and a general dislike of the idea of helicopters. Sat by the window and absolutely loved it! Would do it again and again, if I had the opportunity. Didn't have any motion sickness problems, though I sometimes do on planes and ships.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
We used Blue Hawaiian too and had a great time. We'll probably do it again. I've also taken a tour from Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon that both my wife and I greatly enjoyed. I love flying and a helicopter is the best way to see the central part of Kauai, with all the waterfalls. I highly recommend it.

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We also did a helicopter trip of Kauai a few years ago. It was phenomenal!! Besides the island, you will likely fly over the ocean a bit. We could see the huge outline of whales under the surface.

The most traumatic part for me was being asked my weight. I didn't want to say it in front on my family. ;)

Deb

jlr10

TUG Member
Reaction score
They had a crash a few year ago- but having experienced 6 helicopter flights in our family we found Jack Harter to be the best for our family. My son and I went up on a windy day. Not being a big heights fan anyway I was a little nervous as we had been buffeted on the last flight (not with Jack Harter.) We flew out of Lihue and things were really smooth, but I was anticipating the part of the flight where it goes over the cliff to the Na Pali coast where there is always a movement in the helicopter due to wind and ground changes....Nothing.. no change in speed or leveling.:whoopie: I absolutely loved it. I like that their pilots know the island well and do some narration but also just let you enjoy the flight. Even better we booked the flight to our room at Marriott and got oodles of points for one of the best flights we have ever been on. My son liked it so much he dragged his dad up on the next trip-on Jack Harter-because he also agreed they had the best flight. My DH got terribly motion sick in a copter ride on the Big Island - but nothing with Jack Harter.

I love the helicopter in Kauai because it lets me see some parts of the Kalalau trail that my feet have no intention of ever touching. I might be happy to fly over or beside a sea cliff with a large verticle drop, but don't want to hike there.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
We just returned from Princeville yesterday and enjoyed a great week of weather. We took the helicopter ride with Sunshine Helicopters out of the Princeville airport, so we didn't have to drive to Lihue. They fly out of both locations. My wife has never wanted to take a flight like this out of concern for safety. However, she was very comfortable with this company after reading about their equipment, track record for safety, etc. They seemed expensive at around $275, but we got 50% off with a timeshare presentation with Wyndam. They provided us with a picture of ourselves in front of the helicopter, and offered a video of the flights for $50. The flight went very well, but the waterfalls weren't as spectacular as we had hoped because it hadn't been raining much. All said, I would do it again.

Kona Lovers

TUG Member
Reaction score
We went on a helicopter tour, taking our three youngest sons, taking off from Princeville. Make sure you get the dvd of your flight! Since we're not hikers, it was the perfect way to see the Na Pali coastline and the wonderful waterfalls. It was also incredible seeing Waimea Canyon from the air.

Have a blast!

Marty

dude-luv

TUG Member
Reaction score
Fantastic Experience

I have taken two helicopter tours of Kauai and have been in awe of the island both times. My better half refuses to take the tour. It would be a good thing to familiarize yourself with the island so that you aware of what you are seeing. The Ultimate Kauai book is great. What really amazed me was not the usual highlights (Waimea Canyon, Mt. Waialeale, the Kaulaulau Valley or the Na Pali Coast) but rather the parts of the island that you would never see by car or on foot. The are more waterfalls and jungle, etc. than you realize. The island is a real gem. Enjoy.
:)