• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DVC Exchanges renting on Redweek for less than $7 a point? Why did I buy DVC again?

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I paid a ton of money to buy into DVC's BCVs only to have RCi exchangers rent out BCV two bedrooms for the middle of July, prime time, for $6.84 per point. I am going to sell my interests in DVC if they continue with RCI.

V

Vacation Dude

I am not an RCI member, but isn't renting an exchange supposed to be not allowed?

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's not allowed. But it's done. If you get a chance look at Redweek under Lake Buena Vista Florida to see all the rental ads for exchanged weeks into DVC resorts. These weeks, for far less than maintenance fees, undervalue our resorts.

dmbrand

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harbor Ridge(3)
Coral Sands-Cayman
I am not an owner of DVC, and probably won't be going until I have grandchildren; but how can you determine these are exchanges from the ads? Would a non-owner be able to figure this out? Not trying to challenge you, just getting an understanding.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
I paid a ton of money to buy into DVC's BCVs only to have RCi exchangers rent out BCV two bedrooms for the middle of July, prime time, for $6.84 per point. I am going to sell my interests in DVC if they continue with RCI.

Then you might want to get the jump on the rest of the DVC owners, as the RCI relationship is unlikely change anytime soon.

ciscogizmo1

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Shadow Ridge, Timber Lodge & Waiohai
Westin: Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Villas
Disney: Beach Club Villas & Bay Lake Towers
Any time you see an additional $95 fee, its an exchange.
Well... I only see one with the $95 fee but I could have missed some. I only checked the 7 day ones since I figured RCI doesn't do less days. Or do they?

JonathanIT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do all exchanges through RCI have to pay the $95 fee? I own HGVC points and am trying to book a week at a DVC for next year through RCI. It costs us $164 to start a search for dates, but they didn't tell me about any additional $95 fee. :confused:

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do all exchanges through RCI have to pay the $95 fee? I own HGVC points and am trying to book a week at a DVC for next year through RCI. It costs us $164 to start a search for dates, but they didn't tell me about any additional $95 fee. :confused:

Yep you pay DVC $95 for the exchange, they started that about a year or so ago when they were still with II.

As a member, if I want to use my points at one of the non-DVC Disney hotels, like the Grand Floridian or Poly or even at Disneyland, I get to pay the $95. Also if I book a DCL cruise with points, $95 please.

SuzanneSLO

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yep you pay DVC $95 for the exchange, they started that about a year or so ago when they were still with II.

As a member, if I want to use my points at one of the non-DVC Disney hotels, like the Grand Floridian or Poly or even at Disneyland, I get to pay the $95. Also if I book a DCL cruise with points, $95 please.

The good news is there is no $95 fee to book at the Disneyland resorts with points. The bad news is that this will probably change when the GCV open at the end of this year. -- Suzanne

jdetar

TUG Member
Reaction score

In all seriousness, who cares? Why cry about this. It's business. I own Marriott Cypress Harbour, pay ~$890/yr in MF's but am there right now for $488 buying a better week than I own through an Interval getaway. I use my ownership to my advantage and have other benefits. There's *ALWAYS* cheaper ways to get into places.. but that's not just what you're buying. If you believed you were, then you weren't sold on it properly.

magiroux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well... I only see one with the $95 fee but I could have missed some. I only checked the 7 day ones since I figured RCI doesn't do less days. Or do they?

...and, that one RCI member is taking a risk as is the person that rents from them. As I understand it, the repercussions can be serious for being caught renting exchanged weeks, and RCI does watch for this. Loss of week and RCI membership - not worth it, IMO. I would also never take the chance renting such a week since I could find myself at SSR check-in saying, WHA HAPPENED? (insert Johnny Carson shrug).

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score

The $95 fee for DVC exchanges via II isnt new. It has been in effect for as long as DVC has been affiliated with II.:)

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
In all seriousness, who cares? Why cry about this. It's business. I own Marriott Cypress Harbour, pay ~$890/yr in MF's but am there right now for $488 buying a better week than I own through an Interval getaway. I use my ownership to my advantage and have other benefits. There's *ALWAYS* cheaper ways to get into places.. but that's not just what you're buying. If you believed you were, then you weren't sold on it properly.

I'm serious when I say it Does bother me--a lot. DVC never, ever, told me that someone could trade into my resorts. In fact, I was told that less than 1% of people requesting trades got them. That of course, was in the old II days. Now with RCI it seems that number is quite a bit higher. So why did I pay the big bucks again? What benefits do I get if someone else is using my expensive properties for pennies on the dollar? Can you explain that to me? Thanks

calgarygary

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm serious when I say it Does bother me--a lot. DVC never, ever, told me that someone could trade into my resorts. In fact, I was told that less than 1% of people requesting trades got them. That of course, was in the old II days. Now with RCI it seems that number is quite a bit higher. So why did I pay the big bucks again? What benefits do I get if someone else is using my expensive properties for pennies on the dollar? Can you explain that to me? Thanks

Whenever I see someone considering DVC, I ask them if they are willing to pay thousands extra to stay onsite. That is the benefit that owning DVC assures you. You can spend less and hope to stay onsite or stay offsite or you can spend the big bucks and know you will always stay onsite.

Stricky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sure. The economy sucks. Close to 10% unemployement. 1 out of every 10 DVC owners could be out of a job and I doubt they are planning a trip right now. People are trying to raise funds any way they can. Supply is high, demand is low. I never thought my 401k would be worth 50% of what it was last year.

jdetar

TUG Member
Reaction score

Well I'm sorry you believed the salesmen. Just look at a number of threads on this forum, they're all liers. They simply cannot know what the future holds, no one can. Even the top exec's. If you're happy with your purchase, and plan to use it for many many years then do it.. these things usually come and go, and for those of us that are trading in dirt cheap we'll enjoy that (even not being able to pick the exact week I want). But I don't expect that to happen every year. I can do what I want with my resort *I* own though. :)

magiroux

TUG Member
Reaction score

Well, you choose to pay big bucks for DVC for the right to be guaranteed a stay at your home resort. It does sound like your salesperson lied to you in a pitch to get you to buy (I know, hard to believe). RCI is no different than II was. I heard of many DVC'ers being able to exchange back into DVC (without using up their expensive points) thru II very cheap. Besides a different trading company, what has changed?

I can see how "renting" exchanged DVC weeks for profit (something that probably went on with II also) would bug someone that pays top dollar to own there, but sounds like you also hold a grudge against someone who deposits their TS and makes an exchange into your home resort. For that, I have to agree with the previous poster - why do you care?

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score

How many II exchanges into DVC did you get with your other TS's Icydog?

Quite a few if I remember correctly and I do believe you yourself are a pretty active DVC renter.

I think Dean had figures from II that suggested a slightly higher figure of DVC out bound exchanges, more around the 5% level.

Now they have been giving out a lot of developer points that are more restrictive than in the past(need to be used by October), so perhaps right now more DP's are being deposited into RCI.

Plus with the way the economy is, maybe people are depositing points to stretch them out until things get better.

Also we have no clue of how many contracts DVC has taken back because of forclosure, their might be a lot more developer inventory at the sold out resorts than we realize. Plus if things are slow from Disney on the hotel side, it maybe better that they deposit some of this inventory with RCI than try to rent it out through Central Reservations.

sjuhawk_jd

TUG Member
Reaction score

Why did I buy citibank for $25/share 12 months ago and my neighbor just bought the same share for $1. Why did I buy Harborside at Atlantis for $38000from the developer and now people are buying the same week for $12000 on ebay or even worst trading into atlantis using staroptions from worthless starwood orlando properties. Why did I pay $1 million for my house when somebody else just moved into a similar house in my neighborhood for $650K. These questions can drive me nuts, but I do not think it makes any sense. As long as I am getting the value that I paid for at the time of purchase, it does not matter what others are paying to get the same value.

cdziuba

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I posted on the Miscellaneous Disboards forum several weeks ago about 3 running RCI Ebay ads each stating the $95 fee, all three were RCI exchanges being sold and I included the links, and I was sort of surprised at the hostility I received. I don't even own DVC points, but I knew it would be an absolute free-for-all when RCI members knew they could grab up all the DVC exchanges and sell them, because RCI doesn't police it, and the DVC sure the hell doesn't either. The owners that replied , for the most part, were like..."So what?"

Redweek is LOADED with DVC/RCI exchanges for sale. All the DVC or RCI has to do is buy a Redweek membersip, and cross-reference the last names in the ads to confirm that they are indeed RCI exchanges. But they can't be bothered. I'd never buy DVC points, they do NOTHING to protect their inventory. RCI is a joke, there are so many for sale, it's comical.

I don't get it, really. One would think Disney would make sure they aggressively protect their points to keep the prices high. The Average Joe sees a cheap 7-day DVC rental ad on Ebay, Redweek, and other venues, and thinks "Why buy in, I can get in so cheap."

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Carol, RCI does police it, and those people will be caught. Imagine checking into the resort to find the "rental" is not good, and that RCI even revoked the membership of that member. Also, consider that perhaps these people who are renting exchanges are unaware of the rules.

I posted on the Miscellaneous Disboards forum several weeks ago about 3 running RCI Ebay ads each stating the $95 fee, all three were RCI exchanges being sold and I included the links, and I was sort of surprised at the hostility I received. I don't even own DVC points, but I knew it would be an absolute free-for-all when RCI members knew they could grab up all the DVC exchanges and sell them, because RCI doesn't police it, and the DVC sure the hell doesn't either. The owners that replied , for the most part, were like..."So what?"

Redweek is LOADED with DVC/RCI exchanges for sale. All the DVC or RCI has to do is buy a Redweek membersip, and cross-reference the last names in the ads to confirm that they are indeed RCI exchanges. But they can't be bothered. I'd never buy DVC points, they do NOTHING to protect their inventory. RCI is a joke, there are so many for sale, it's comical.

I don't get it, really. One would think Disney would make sure they aggressively protect their points to keep the prices high. The Average Joe sees a cheap 7-day DVC rental ad on Ebay, Redweek, and other venues, and thinks "Why buy in, I can get in so cheap."

Last edited:

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is someone on Redweek now that is renting a Animal Kingdom Villas at the NEW Kidani Village- a two bedroom in August at the height of DVC's Magic Season (seconded only by Christmas and Easter weeks). A week like this would cost 360 DVC points.

I know she traded in because of the extra $95 needed at checkin and because she proudly told me she used an exchange in so many words. If she was using the week herself that would be one thing, but she is renting the week out for $3000. That means that a DVC owner can't get that week--- and believe me they are ridiculously hard to get.. And it also means that another RCI member hasn't a shot at the week for his family because she is renting it out for big bucks. I remember when owners traded in their II weeks they went to the DVC resorts and were happy to do so. This selling of weeks is disconcerting to me.

gorevs9

TUG Member
Reaction score
I learn something new everyday

I know she traded in because of the extra $95 needed at checkin...

I always thought the $95 was a resort fee charged to non-owners whether or not it was through an exchange or a private rental.

People seem to be upset that this is occuring. How many are going to be on the phone to RCI blowing the whistle on these people?

Last edited: