• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Sedona Summit Silver Crown??

pgnewarkboy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn't know about this. I really don't know why it would get a reduced rating. Perhaps it has to do with the fact that Diamond Resorts is no longer affiliated with RCI. Inasmuch as I belong to the Club it really does not impact me but it still makes no sense- it is a beautiful place. As nice or nicer than many of the gold stars I have been to.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
RCI does make a habit of lowering resort ratings if a developer leaves them or at least favors I.I. over them. Many Westgate resorts with dual affiliation dropped in ratings just because Westgate moved to I.I. There were a couple of GranVista resorts in Branson that dropped in RCI ratings just because Westgate bought them out.

There was NO CHANGE at the resort that warranted the drop. In fact, there is one of those resorts that has split management. The Westgate side, silver crown, the other side, gold crown, yet there is NO difference between the two.

I guess Westgate figures if they punish the owners enough, they'll complain enough and the developer will come back to RCI. Great company to deal with that RCI.

cr4909

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's my understanding that RCI has a fixed amount of resorts that are Gold Crown (around 10% or so). To achieve GC status, the resort must meet certain requirements for amenities and units, plus it must have top-notch comments from RCI guests. Since RCI has recently added DVC as an affiliate, there are 8 or so new GC resorts. Plus Worldmark has added at least one new GC - Worldmark Anaheim. And there may have been additional GC resorts added. So, if Sedona Summit was on the edge before, it may have been bumped off, not because it is any worse, but better resorts were added.

That being said, I doubt it would have any impact on trading power. This is based mostly on supply and demand and since Sedona Summit is still highly regarded in Sedona, I doubt the label of Silver vs Gold has much if any impact.

PClapham

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark
Foxrun
Has Diamond moved to II? If not, where?
thanks
Anita

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
It's my understanding that RCI has a fixed amount of resorts that are Gold Crown (around 10% or so). To achieve GC status, the resort must meet certain requirements for amenities and units, plus it must have top-notch comments from RCI guests. Since RCI has recently added DVC as an affiliate, there are 8 or so new GC resorts. Plus Worldmark has added at least one new GC - Worldmark Anaheim. And there may have been additional GC resorts added. So, if Sedona Summit was on the edge before, it may have been bumped off, not because it is any worse, but better resorts were added.

That being said, I doubt it would have any impact on trading power. This is based mostly on supply and demand and since Sedona Summit is still highly regarded in Sedona, I doubt the label of Silver vs Gold has much if any impact.

I have never heard that RCI has a "limited" number of Gold Crown ratings to hand out.

You would like to think that ratings are based on quality. Unfortunately, over the past 10 years of exchanging I've found that's not entirely true. The longer I own and trade the more I believe that ratings have more to do with politics and the developers agreement with the exchange company more than anything else.

Ratings do tend to have an effect on demand. If the resort shows a lower rating, people who don't know will look towards the higher rated resorts instead. I know we'd like to believe that the majority of timeshare owners read TUG but, the sad fact is that we are a rather small minority of timeshare owners.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Has Diamond moved to II? If not, where?
thanks
Anita

DRI perfers I.I. and has a long term agreement with I.I. However, some of the resorts were affiliated with RCI and those units can remain that way so long as those owners pay their membership fee's to RCI. But, DRI makes it easier for points members to be part of I.I. since Interval Gold membership is a part of THE Clubs membership fee's.

So, essentially there are some dual affiliated resorts but, for now at least, DRI will push I.I. with all new owners.

cr4909

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have never heard that RCI has a "limited" number of Gold Crown ratings to hand out.

I could be wrong, but it was my understanding that only the top x% of resorts can be labeled Gold Crown. Somewhere on TUG there was a pdf of the GC requirements (probably 5 years old). I have noticed several resorts that have been downgraded in the past 2 years, but can't recall any that have been upgraded (although I'm sure there are). So I do think there is some legitimacy to the idea that the GC requirement may be harder to reach IF (big "if") more top quality resorts are added (DVC).

Still, this is RCI so who knows the truth?

I do agree that if I were in your shoes I'd be upset. And it probably does hurt resale value a bit, as GC would be a top marketing point. However, the common belief on TUG is that for trading purposes the most important factors are demand. I don't think a GC resort has much (any?) higher trading power than a Silver resort for the same week, size, and location.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
I could be wrong, but it was my understanding that only the top x% of resorts can be labeled Gold Crown. Somewhere on TUG there was a pdf of the GC requirements (probably 5 years old). I have noticed several resorts that have been downgraded in the past 2 years, but can't recall any that have been upgraded (although I'm sure there are). So I do think there is some legitimacy to the idea that the GC requirement may be harder to reach IF (big "if") more top quality resorts are added (DVC).

Still, this is RCI so who knows the truth?

I do agree that if I were in your shoes I'd be upset. And it probably does hurt resale value a bit, as GC would be a top marketing point. However, the common belief on TUG is that for trading purposes the most important factors are demand. I don't think a GC resort has much (any?) higher trading power than a Silver resort for the same week, size, and location.

Well, I've been wrong before. I only think I know everything. :D

There's a few things that I just don't pay a lot of attention to and those are things that I don't have a lot of control over or tend to affect me very little. Since RCI is not my favorite timeshare exchange company (we dropped our personal membership and only belong because HGVC makes us belong), I pay even less attention to what they're policies might be.

anne1125

TUG Member
Reaction score
When my 5star II resort lost it's rating (even though nothing at the resort has changed and the reviews are great) my trade power dropped big time. Where I used to be able to pull a summer two bedroom in the Royals in Cancun now I'm lucky to get a 1 bedroom September.

With II the rating DOES make a difference.

By the way, I am trying to get II and the resort to re-avaluate it. They say they will visit in this 1st quarter of 2009. We'll see.

Anne

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
When my 5star II resort lost it's rating (even though nothing at the resort has changed and the reviews are great) my trade power dropped big time. Where I used to be able to pull a summer two bedroom in the Royals in Cancun now I'm lucky to get a 1 bedroom September.

With II the rating DOES make a difference.

By the way, I am trying to get II and the resort to re-avaluate it. They say they will visit in this 1st quarter of 2009. We'll see.

Anne

From what I've seen, there seems to be a lot of politics that go into resort ratings, both with I.I. and RCI.