• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hawaiian Marriott's and exchanging in.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
We recently got back from staying in Oahu using our HGVC points and think we might like to go back in 2010 but staying at one of the Marriott's. We enjoyed Oahu and have absolutely no problems returning to that island but, we have no problems staying on one of the other islands either.

My plans are to do a request first using my Grand Chateau week when the week we normally go on vacation in Vegas becomes available. I'll be locking out this unit and using the 2 bedroom portion (it's a 2 bedroom unit) to request the exchange. If the exchange doesn't come through, no problem. Vegas is fine and, it's a lot less expensive to get there.

My question is, is there any Marriott Hawaiian resort you'd leave off your list? I'm also thinking about throwing in Frenchman's Cove as well since we've always enjoyed St. Thomas while on a cruise.

FlyerBobcat

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Doug,

Just a couple comments. Unless you've been to Maui and Kauai recently (I've checked your pictures, and I don't think so), I certainly would forego a trip back to Oahu in favor of seeing Maui or Kauai. Those two are too nice to miss.

Others will be able to add more information, but some of the rooms at Kauai Beach Club are converted from two hotels rooms -- and might not fit what you want call a typical timeshare.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
You can't go wrong with any of them, but Maui will be really tough to get a 2BR.

Just because I'm using a 2 bedroom unit as an exchange doesn't mean it has to be a 2 bedroom exchange. When we were in Oahu, we were in a 1 bedroom unit. Of course, if they had a 2 bedroom unit I'd take that. I always like the extra room

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
You can't go wrong with any of them, but Maui will be really tough to get a 2BR.

So far only Oahu. While I'd like to see something different, I wouldn't complain about going back to Oahu. There were things we didn't get to see and do.

tango

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you were to choose Kauai, and had a choice between Waiohai and Kauai Beach Club, I would choose Waiohai.

Darlene

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own a timeshare on the Big Island. Last year, I put in a request for any of the other Marriott resorts, a 2 bedroom unit, and it matched with a 2 bedroom Ko Olina. We had never stayed a whole week on Oahu, so that was fine. We did not like it as much as the other islands. A two bedroom unit at Kauai Beach Club will not be hard. We used our Marriott Monarch and even got Christmas week. I don't know about Waiohai, but newer generally means harder. The only way you could get Maui is to get a smaller unit. Some people lock off their unit, and use the 1-bedroom side to request a 1-bedroom at Maui. Once they match, they use the lock-off side to try and match for the same week to a lock-off and then hope they can get them together.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
doug. don't let the naysayers change your plans. we got confirmed into a 2bd (garden view) marriott maui in december for a spring break week this april - used a summer 2bd mmc.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
doug. don't let the naysayers change your plans. we got confirmed into a 2bd (garden view) marriott maui in december for a spring break week this april - used a summer 2bd mmc.

To date, very few family or friends have ever taken us up on the offer of the extra bedroom. So anymore, we don't necessarly feel we have to have a 2 bedroom in exchange for a 2 bedroom if it's someplace we really want to go and a resort we'd like to stay at. Don't get me wrong. I'd just as soon have a 2 bedroom unit but, it's not ultimately a deal breaker for us.

Now if it's a studio we'll pass pretty much every time. A studio unit is just to small for us if we're taking a week long vacation. If it's only a couple of days we'll think about it but, if it's a full week we'll pass.

rpw

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Ko Olina, Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
With Ko'Olina's new towers

I'd imagine that getting a trade into Ko'Olina (Oahu) should be fairly easy.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
I second Ko Olina. My DW third's Ko Olina. In our opinions, MKO rates as one of the two one or two TS's we've stayed in to date. Resort is wonderfully built and location is awesome (what can you say about snorkling in the lagoon?). It it being only about 20/30 minutes from Honolulu (without traffic) was very convenient. Felt like paradise withOUT all the hussle/bussle of the 'big city'.

ciscogizmo1

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Shadow Ridge, Timber Lodge & Waiohai
Westin: Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Villas
Disney: Beach Club Villas & Bay Lake Towers
A full kitchen is important to me so..... I wouldn't want to stay at Kauai Marriott or the older Maui Marriotts. The newer towers at Maui have full kitchens. All of them are in beautiful locations. Good luck with your trade!

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
I believe I have narrowed it down to three resorts to request. Granted they'll probably be long shots but, I can do a request first, I have time and, going back to Vegas wouldn't hurt either of our feelings as we're skipping Vegas in 2009.

The three resorts I've narrowed it down to are Waihoai Beach Club, Ko Olina and Frenchman's Cove in St. Thomas. The underlying factor for choosing just those three is that they're not hotel conversions, they have washer/dryer combo's in the units and they have full kitchens.

I wouldn't be surprise if Waihoai and Ko Olina are heavily requested due to having only 2 bedroom units and all the amenities found at many Marriott resorts but, if I'm going to spend between $800 to $1,000 per ticket to get to my desination, I'd just as soon be happy with the resort or, stay at our home resort, which we have been very happy with.

Frenchman's Cove in St. Thomas may actually be a better fit for us in that we both have enjoyed St. Thomas and, surprisingly the typical airfair from our airport is only around $600 to $700, which is slightly less expensive than flying to Hawaii. One way or another we'll be in a warm weather climate with something to do and subjects for taking pictures. Since I recently purchased a Nikon D40 SLR camera, subjects for picturres has become a little more important to me. ;)

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
...I wouldn't be surprise if Waihoai and Ko Olina are heavily requested due to having only 2 bedroom units and ... .

D - Ko Olina has 2 bds, 1 bds, and studios.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
D - Ko Olina has 2 bds, 1 bds, and studios.

That's all right and may work out better. I would assume that, since Hawaii is expensive to buy and pay MF's, most Ko Olina owners would want to maximize their usage by locking out their units. It may weigh our request in favor of the other two resorts which would be fine since we've already been to Oahu and, have access to Oahu through HGVC at the HHV.

Cruiser Too

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd imagine that getting a trade into Ko'Olina (Oahu) should be fairly easy.

Not so !

I requested a week in August-09, using 2-bd/2ba Marriott-Marbella.
Still waiting ! :shrug:

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Not so !

I requested a week in August-09, using 2-bd/2ba Marriott-Marbella.
Still waiting ! :shrug:

I guess it just depends on when you want to go and what the demand is for that time of year. I don't know about Hawaii but, generally speaking summer months tend to be higher demand. We're fortunate in that we don't have to travel the the most popular places when all the families are wanting to go to those same places.

Cruiser Too

TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess it just depends on when you want to go and what the demand is for that time of year. I don't know about Hawaii but, generally speaking summer months tend to be higher demand. We're fortunate in that we don't have to travel the the most popular places when all the families are wanting to go to those same places.

We're also fortunate that we don't have to travel during "high Season"
If fact... I go out of my way not to vacation during school break.

This time, I'm planning to attend my 50th high school reunion that's scheduled for August.

I know.... some of you might say: "Why bother" :eek:

taffy19

Reaction score
We're also fortunate that we don't have to travel during "high Season"
If fact... I go out of my way not to vacation during school break.

This time, I'm planning to attend my 50th high school reunion that's scheduled for August.

I know.... some of you might say: "Why bother" :eek:
I think it is great that you have stayed in touch. :) It will be sad though to see so many of your fellow students gone after 50 years. One of our neighbors went to such an occasion recently and came home all depressed.

Will it be on Oahu?

Cruiser Too

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think it is great that you have stayed in touch. :) Will it be on Oahu?

Yep, a 3-day reunion on Oahu.

It will be sad though to see so many of your fellow students gone after 50 years. One of our neighbors went to such an occasion recently and came home all depressed.

By "Gone" do you mean deceased ?

I maintain the website for our reunion.
One of my responsibilities is to list our deceased classmates on the website.

• 57 and counting. :(

taffy19

Reaction score
Yes, that's what I meant. Since you are aware of the statistics, enjoy your reunion in Oahu. :)

jaypea

TUG Member
Reaction score
Got Exchange for Waiohai

I booked our 2009 week at Canyon Villas last March and put in an exchange request for Maui Ocean Club and the two Marriott resorts in Kauai, with a choice of 2 different weeks this March, within any checkin day. Within a day or two, I was surprised to get a confirmation certificate for the Waiohai Beach Club in Maui. So anything is possible! We had a 2 BR unit and have received a 2 BR unit, although it is in the "island view" category.

Cruiser Too

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, that's what I meant. Since you are aware of the statistics, enjoy your reunion in Oahu. :)

I think those who get depressed are in denial.
They don't acknowledge that our days are numbered.

Truth Be Hold...
Everyone's days are numbered.