• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Tax forms for 2008?

Alie

Reaction score
I am a fairly new owner and I'm wondering if I need to be on the look out for tax forms (that need to be included in my calculations) when doing my taxes for 2008.

My boyfriend owns our house, so I'm not familiar with all the forms that may be included when owning property. This is the first property that I own (actually we co-own our vacation club property). We own in Vegas (on the strip), and live in California.

I didn't see anything come in last year (for 2007), but we hit escrow at the tail end of december and technically our membership didn't begin until the start of January of last year - though I'm not sure that matters.

Any input that can be given is appreciated. It's almost the end of January when all tax forms are required to arrive and I have not seen anything come in regarding this property.

Thanks!

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I'm not an accountant, but I believe the only thing you can use for tax purposes are the property taxes paid on this. And you won't get a statement for that.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Last year, I filed an amended return when I realized that I had not deducted the property tax on our TS's that were in our M/F statements. It made a a small difference in my taxes.

This year, it appears that they've raised the standard deduction to the point where, even with mortgage interest, property taxes, charities and other items, I won't be itemizing for the first time since the earth cooled.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not an accountant, but I believe the only thing you can use for tax purposes are the property taxes paid on this. And you won't get a statement for that.

I got a statement last year for Hilton with Property taxes listed on it, so I'd think that someone will get a statement this year.

Whether it can be deducted or not is a diff. story.

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts: Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Shadow Ridge

The Nevada real estate taxes are listed as a separate line item on my Grand Chateau maintenance bill, therefore, are deductible.

Ingrid

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I get a separate tax bill for the property taxes on the timeshare I own in California. What I meant is that I don't get any other kind of statement for it, showing that I paid the taxes.

Of course I don't get a statement showing I've paid the property taxes on my home either.

I got the impression the original poster was looking for some other type of form, like a 1098 or 1099 for the timeshare that would need to be included when calculating their 2008 taxes.

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts: Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Shadow Ridge
I get a separate tax bill for the property taxes on the timeshare I own in California. What I meant is that I don't get any other kind of statement for it, showing that I paid the taxes.

Of course I don't get a statement showing I've paid the property taxes on my home either.

I got the impression the original poster was looking for some other type of form, like a 1098 or 1099 for the timeshare that would need to be included when calculating their 2008 taxes.

You're right Luanne, I should have read more carefully :wall:

Ingrid