• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Son doesn't ski much, what to do?

wegottago

TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband, daughter (8) and I like to ski. It is not my 10 1/2 year old son's favorite thing to do. He is also behind us in skill level. Next year or so we want to ski out west. Do any of you have this type of problem when 1 of your children aren't too keen on a sport the rest of the family likes? Do you have suggestions what to do with him?

At a big resort like in the west, at what age would you leave your child in the ski lodge with a computer, which he could easily spend all day on? What about in the timeshare? If he brought a friend, at what age would you leave 2 boys alone?

We have no relatives that live in the area (NJ) so he would have to stay with friends (?) or fly to grandparents (expense, lots of trouble).

Just thinking ahead for my options in case he wouldn't ski all the time with us or wouldn't go on certain trails like the bowls which my daughter would love.
Thanks!

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, next year he'll be 11 1/2? I would leave a kid of that age alone in a timeshare room for a few hours in the daytime, if he's reasonably responsible. You might arrange to have one parent come back to have lunch with him. I don't ski either, so I'm not sure how it works--do you stay out all day from early in the morning till late in the evening?

Of course you're talking about a week of alone time, and that's a lot. Do some ski timeshares have indoor activities for kids?

bccash63

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has he ever tried to snowboard? Two of my sons snowboard and there is alot to do on the terrrain parks that is completely different from downhill skiing. We were just at Breck/keystone over New Years and saw many more snowboarders that age than skiers--maybe he could take a lesson or try it somewhere near where you live this winter. My husband, oldest son (22) and 9 yr old daughter all downhill ski --we just checked on each other and used cell phones to keep in touch w/everyone. We had an awesome vacation. Dawn

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
My first response is : What is it about skiing that he doesn't like? The cold, the outdoors, the fact that he can't keep up? Knowing why he doesn't like it would help to answer your questions, IMO.

Judy

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
My first response is : What is it about skiing that he doesn't like? The cold, the outdoors, the fact that he can't keep up? Knowing why he doesn't like it would help to answer your questions, IMO.
If it's the fact that he can't keep up, lessons could be the answer. A half day lesson each day with the afternoon free for him to spend on the computer might suit everyone.

CarolF

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has he ever tried to snowboard? Two of my sons snowboard and there is alot to do on the terrrain parks that is completely different from downhill skiing. We were just at Breck/keystone over New Years and saw many more snowboarders that age than skiers--maybe he could take a lesson or try it somewhere near where you live this winter. My husband, oldest son (22) and 9 yr old daughter all downhill ski --we just checked on each other and used cell phones to keep in touch w/everyone. We had an awesome vacation. Dawn

The snowboarding was a hit with my son and his friend, here in Australia. We booked them both into lessons and they loved it - all the participants were young and so were the instructors. The boys thought they were "cool" being part of the younger set rather than with the skiers who were generally older. We had our free time whilst the boys were being supervised and then kept in touch by cell phone. Choose a friend who is keen on the activities you would like to promote to your son - that helps to keep everyone happy.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Would he be happier staying home with grandparents or responsible friends?

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
If it's the fact that he can't keep up, lessons could be the answer. A half day lesson each day with the afternoon free for him to spend on the computer might suit everyone.

Yes, that's exactly why I was asking.

Steve

Reaction score
My husband, daughter (8) and I like to ski. It is not my 10 1/2 year old son's favorite thing to do. He is also behind us in skill level. Next year or so we want to ski out west. Do any of you have this type of problem when 1 of your children aren't too keen on a sport the rest of the family likes? Do you have suggestions what to do with him?

At a big resort like in the west, at what age would you leave your child in the ski lodge with a computer, which he could easily spend all day on? What about in the timeshare? If he brought a friend, at what age would you leave 2 boys alone?

We have no relatives that live in the area (NJ) so he would have to stay with friends (?) or fly to grandparents (expense, lots of trouble).

Just thinking ahead for my options in case he wouldn't ski all the time with us or wouldn't go on certain trails like the bowls which my daughter would love.
Thanks!

If you stay at a resort such as Marriott's Mountainside in Park City...which is literally at the foot of the mountain...it wouldn't be too bad. If he wasn't skiing, you could ski right down and join him for lunch. Or just to check on him. The pool area looks right out onto the ski lift and bottom of the slopes. So he wouldn't feel overly isolated if you were skiing at Park City Mountain Resort.

Steve

NTHC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Panama City Beach, Las Vegas, Massanutten
Resorts Owned
Grandview Las Vegas, Regal Vista, Wyndham, Bluegreen, Diamond
You mentioned taking a friend. Why not take an older friend or family member who has similar interests and can take him to do other activities while you guys are on the slopes.

Our kids are 7 years apart so when they were younger we always took a babysitter along. It does add to the expense of the trip, but we felt it was really a necessity to be able to do everything we wanted with both kids. Especially if you are going to an area you may not return to. That way we could eat at that awesome restaurant we didn't want to miss as well.

Now that they are older, they just know they are going to have to suffer through some things that may not interest them when we head out on a family vacation.

Hope you guys have a great time!

Cindy

PS. our son(18) doesn't like to ski either...hates the cold, but we can't keep our daughter(11) off the slopes in the winter.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm with Judy (post 5) on this. After all, it's a family SKI vacation. I'd also explore with him if he'd be interested in snowboarding, but at least half a day should be doing something outdoors. There's plenty of life left to sit in front of a computer.
This said, I started skiing about age 5- or 6 with lessons provided by my parents until I could support my ski habit myself. That what a kid growing up in Idaho did in the 50's.

Jim Ricks

wegottago

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for all the responses and ideas. I will definately ask him "what about skiing he's not so keen on" as well as trying the snowboarding option.

ondeadlin

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have an 8-year-old, a 5-year-old, and a 2-year-old.

The two oldest are good enough skiers that they can ski anything blue and easy blacks. They ski all day with us (thank goodness no more expensive lessons).

But there are days they don't want to.

On those days, we tell them to suck it up. They do.

Nancy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another 11 year old

I definately would not take another 11 year old and leave them alone. Yours would be okay, but adding another would cause trouble.

JMHO
Nancy