• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Turbo Tax

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have used Turbo Tax for the lat few years, but have heard that you can only do one return with it this year instead of multiple returns. is this true?

cindi

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just now walked in the door with my turbo tax box. In the flyer it says 5 e files and unlimited printed returns. I sure hope that is the case!

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
One return was originally all that was available. Due to many complaints that was changed to up to five. I will still be getting TT Federal + State + Federal E-File ($59 at Best Buy, cheaper at Sam's). Still have to pay for State E-File. Since we have used it in the past we like the ability to seamlessly import prior years data.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Do you get more than one state return?

I would think you do. Though you can usually only get access to one state for free (meaning if you download Ohio, you have to pay to download say Indiana). If you lived in only one state with a simple return it wouldnt be a problem. If you do more than one return you should be able to do both federal and state for each.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
One return was originally all that was available. Due to many complaints that was changed to up to five. I will still be getting TT Federal + State + Federal E-File ($59 at Best Buy, cheaper at Sam's). Still have to pay for State E-File. Since we have used it in the past we like the ability to seamlessly import prior years data.

Actually I think I will be buying at Buy.com for ~$40. A link is posted in the Tax Act thread.

cindi

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just finished installing Turbotax deluxe.

It says you get 5 federal e files and 3 state e files. It did say there is an extra charge for state e files though don't know how much.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I just finished installing Turbotax deluxe.

It says you get 5 federal e files and 3 state e files. It did say there is an extra charge for state e files though don't know how much.

How any of those E-files are free? Do you get one or five free federal e-files? I understand it indicates you get five, but they may just limit you to five total but may want to charge extra for any above one.

Emily

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can buy home and business for $60 from buy.com. I usually do efile throught the website and have for several years. If I switch to by the software can I import the previous year data from the turbotax online efile?

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
My undertanding is that you get 5 federal e-files included with any downloadable or installable version of TT (as opposed to the online version, which is probably priced per-return.)

The state program is always "extra", however, you can buy a version of TT deluxe that includes the state program like the one I linked to on buy.com in the other thread. TT Deluxe + 1 State was around $40 for me. State does not include state e-file. You have to pay extra for state e-file.

-David

Last edited:

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can buy home and business for $60 from buy.com. I usually do efile throught the website and have for several years. If I switch to by the software can I import the previous year data from the turbotax online efile?

Yes. (TT calls it "transfer", when importing data from last years return).

http://turbotax.intuit.com/support/kb/import-and-transfer/import/2295.html

If you already saved last years return as a .tax file, it's trivial. If not, you have to go through a little more complex procedure. It's all shown on that page.

If you use the online product, save your own data as a .tax or .tax2008 file from now on.

-David

Last edited:

The Conch Man

Reaction score
Ifin you live in OH or in my case, have to file at that state cause my wife received a 1099 for doing some work for a friend who has their company there & our daughter who is living with us, moved down here last year from OH, you can file your free state taxes on-line at Ohio Department of Taxation http://tax.ohio.gov . We live here in Florida for four years but have always used their free filing for OH tax weather you get back money or owe.

I've been doing taxes for many, many years & used the free federal or state filing but the federal has a cut off on earnings. I just fill-out my state taxes after I do my federal, print them out then go to the OH state & file them for free. Of course I use the TA for a free E-file for our federal filing.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Ifin you live in OH or in my case, have to file at that state cause my wife received a 1099 for doing some work for a friend who has their company there & our daughter who is living with us, moved down here last year from OH, you can file your free state taxes on-line at Ohio Department of Taxation http://tax.ohio.gov . We live here in Florida for four years but have always used their free filing for OH tax weather you get back money or owe.

I've been doing taxes for many, many years & used the free federal or state filing but the federal has a cut off on earnings. I just fill-out my state taxes after I do my federal, print them out then go to the OH state & file them for free. Of course I use the TA for a free E-file for our federal filing.

I don't know all the details, but there may be income limits to being able to file online free. I know that there are limits at the federal level. Poeple always tell me how they file online (not e-file) and say how I should do it. Unfortunatly with my wife's and my income we are over the income level to file online for free. Not sure if the state of OH has something similar as we always filed by paper until last year when we e-filed.

The Conch Man

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as you are Dio for on-line filing for the free Federal but not the state of Ohio, don't know for other State filing other than Florida as they have no State filing. Ya can't file yet until the 16th for both of them, I've used the state filing for years now with no problems & very secure!

Ifin you want to save your money for E-filing your state, this is the way to go plus they even send your refund to your bank account just like
any of the tax software that's available for filing your taxes!

Not sure if the state of OH has something similar as we always filed by paper until last year when we e-filed.