• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Renting an Exchange?

bhrungo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Renting an Exchange???

Is this something that is possible, or "ok" to do ? My sister & her husband have a week in Hawaii that they received with an RCI exchange. They will not be able to use it now and don't know if they should cancel it or try renting it out? I didn't know what to tell them. They have a 2 bedroom on Kauai for this Spring. Any suggestions?

We've been timeshare owners for 13 years and have never tried to rent out a week, especially a week we received through an Exchange. They would prefer to rent it out, if they can? Could they just include the Guest Certificate in the rental price?
Thanks for any help on this subject! :hi:

Keitht

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
RCI rules expressly forbid the renting out of units obtained through the exchange system. If you do so and are found out, you could lose the exchange and the people you rented to could lose their holiday.
The question is "How likely is it that RCI would find out?" Well do ya feel lucky, well do ya??

bhrungo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response! I had a feeling that was the case. I will tell them to NOT try renting!!!
They will be better off just cancelling and exchanging for something else later on....

Thanks!

Bill4728

Reaction score
If your sister has a friend who would like to use it, they can sent the friend on the exchange by buying from RCI a "guest certificate" and if the friend was to give your sister a gift for letting them use the week that is OK.

BUT renting to a stranger and the advertising of that rental is what will get you in trouble.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Bill, Are you saying, "that's OK with RCI," or do you mean, "you are a lot less likely to get caught?"

Keitht

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
If your sister has a friend who would like to use it, they can sent the friend on the exchange by buying from RCI a "guest certificate" and if the friend was to give your sister a gift for letting them use the week that is OK.

BUT renting to a stranger and the advertising of that rental is what will get you in trouble.

Bill, Are you saying, "that's OK with RCI," or do you mean, "you are a lot less likely to get caught?"

In the example cited by Bill nothing is being done against RCI rules. A Guest certificate is purchased and used. The gift from a friend is totally irrelevant.
I suspect that's not a route you would want to go along with a total stranger i.e renter for the reasons stated.

rsnash

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Will anyone admit to renting or having rented an exchange on TUG? Probably not. That said, if you feel very comfortable with the person you are renting from, just be sure not to tell the resort or II or RCI that any funds were paid for the Guest Certificate. Just tell them a friend at work couldn't use their week, so they gifted it to you, if you say anything. That's what I did. :ignore: Conversely, warn anyone you rent to, to not say anything about renting to anyone. *

Perhaps there could be a poll started, as I'm very curious if others do/have done this? I could imagine the questions being:

1) Have you ever rented out your exchange (not at your home resort)?
2) No, I would never rent an exchange, I would cancel it and suffer the lower exchange power for future use of my week.

and/or

3) Did you ever knowingly rent someone else's exchange?
4) I would never rent someone else's exchange, fearing I could get to the resort and be denied accommodation.

If this were done as a poll, then people could answer the poll anonymously, right?

* Just remember it is verboten to rent an exchange, if you do so, you are evil, and must be punished by sleeping in the streets! ;)

dchilds

TUG Member
Reaction score
..., just be sure not to tell the resort or II or RCI that any funds were paid for the Guest Certificate.

If had friends & co-workers pay both the exchange fee and the guest certificate directly to II (and maybe RCI too) over the phone with their credit card.

Kola

TUG Member
Reaction score
If had friends & co-workers pay both the exchange fee and the guest certificate directly to II (and maybe RCI too) over the phone with their credit card.

Are you saying that "friends" used their credit cards to pay II fees ? Didn't II verify if the credit card was issued in the name of the registered owner ? In my experience with II they always do. Given the volume of business done by II over the phone accepting credit cards issued to unknown persons other than registered T/S owners could be a highly risky practice.

K.

Last edited: