• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Skyauction getting greedy

shmuggee

Reaction score
I am a big fan and user of the Home and Away vacation certificate that they have available on Skyauction. However...less and less resorts are falling on the 'free' side and more and more seem to be showing up on the 'for an additional fee' side of things.

As well...the credit certificate has been cut to $50 from $100

AND

The minimum bid (or the bid that some bidder posts) has now magically jumped to...$50!!!!

What a suprise!

calgarygary

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure which side of the equation is greedy - the company disposing of weeks or the consumer after something for virtually nothing.

toocherie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Where on the site are the Home and Away Certificates you are talking about? I see the various auctions--but not certificates?

shmuggee

Reaction score
I'm not sure which side of the equation is greedy - the company disposing of weeks or the consumer after something for virtually nothing.

You must be a Lanny McDonald fan!!! lol

Maybe Jim Peplenski? Mike Vernon?

Jerome Iginla?!?!?! :D

1985-86 was a great year...

1988-89....ehhhhhhh, not so much.

But as far as your statement - I think greed is here to stay. Businesses in general (TS specifically) have been ripping people off for years. That will never change...

...because we fight back the only way we can...i.e. smart shopping...yah - you can call it greed...

...or just trying to get the most bang for your buck.

Don't hate the player...hate the game.

Go Habs Go

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is not a business' job to give us what we want for little money. It's a business' job to get as much money as they can for what the are selling.

That's not greed. It's just business.

shmuggee

Reaction score
It is not a business' job to give us what we want for little money. It's a business' job to get as much money as they can for what the are selling.

That's not greed. It's just business.

Don't take it personal, just business...

...you're right - but I look at it this way - I'm my own little business, and it's my right to try and pay as little as I can for said service. Nothing personal, just business.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sure, but calling it greed is silly. It's a change in price. If you find a better deal, go elsewhere, and if enough people go elsewhere, their price will come back down.

calgarygary

TUG Member
Reaction score
My earlier comment about greed was reflecting upon the title of the thread and that in the OP's example, that it was a 2 way street. I certainly agree that greed is likely the wrong term but both sides of the equation are trying to maximize their deal.

shmuggee, not necessarily a Flames fan, just love a good game - and seeing more of it in today's nhl.

Garnet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbrisa 2,31 MNCV 52, MSR 52, MDSV2, FSA
I recall reading a thread recently about letting a rental go unused as the prospective renter was only willing to pay $250 or even $500... The renter figured if that was all the prospective renter could come up with...how was he/she going to treat their unit. I kinda agree...

shmuggee

Reaction score
Nothing like a good NHL game!

My earlier comment about greed was reflecting upon the title of the thread and that in the OP's example, that it was a 2 way street. I certainly agree that greed is likely the wrong term but both sides of the equation are trying to maximize their deal.

shmuggee, not necessarily a Flames fan, just love a good game - and seeing more of it in today's nhl.

I understand.

Don't worry - not knocking Calgary - I did a year at SAIT back in the dark ages!!!! Whaddya think of Sundin in Vancouver?

'GREED IS GOOD'

It's on the list of movies top 100 lines of all time

(for double points who said that and in what movie?)

Dave*H

TUG Member
Reaction score
I recall reading a thread recently about letting a rental go unused as the prospective renter was only willing to pay $250 or even $500... The renter figured if that was all the prospective renter could come up with...how was he/she going to treat their unit. I kinda agree...
So the implication is that renters looking for the best deal would abuse the unit? I'm sure the opposite also happens as in, "I paid megabucks per night for this unit so I can do what I want."

I can think of a number of reasons for giving a low-ball offer that have nothing to do with how you might treat the unit such as:

- The renter only lives an hour away from the destination. For $250 it would be nice to stay but for more, they'll just commute.

- The renter is not that set on a particular destination. If lodging can be had for $250, that will help make the choice.

- Some other owner is offering a bigger unit in a better location for $500. While both are inexpensive, an extra $250 in your pocket is not something trivial. This would cover dinner at a fairly expensive restaurant during the trip.

- The renter is sticking to their vacation budget. They overspent a little on the last vacation so if they want go on this vacation, they need to cut back a little. Why cut back on the cost of activities if you can cut back on lodging costs instead?

I have made low-ball offers on a number of occasions for all the reasons above. None of them have anything to do with how I treat the unit, always with the same respect and care of my own home.

Garnet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbrisa 2,31 MNCV 52, MSR 52, MDSV2, FSA
I can agree with this position also. Why not get at least $200 or $500 and at least lower your mf? Depends on who is asking. My understanding is the (potential) rentee kept emailing the owner (renter) and saying...if its empty, why not take at least $250? I might just not want to respond either. I have done very few rentals. The few units I put up for rental, I could go to. Without being specific, if I don't rent X unit...fine. I go myself. Maybe I miss a day or so--but, it won't go unused. Again, who is asking? Are they being obnoxious? Maybe I might let it go to a friend for free instead.

Kozman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am a big fan and user of the Home and Away vacation certificate that they have available on Skyauction. However...less and less resorts are falling on the 'free' side and more and more seem to be showing up on the 'for an additional fee' side of things.

As well...the credit certificate has been cut to $50 from $100

AND

The minimum bid (or the bid that some bidder posts) has now magically jumped to...$50!!!!

What a suprise!

I just checked Skyauction and it appears the travel certificate offered is for $50 instead of $100, but the minimum bids appear to still start at $1. If it is up to $50 then that is because some bidder bid it up to that level. It's all still relative since you only bid what you think the package is worth to you. When the travel certificate is $100, the final bid will likely be higher than with a $50 certificate offered.

I see where they are still offering $100 worth of restaurant certificates, but the travel certificates still expire in Oct. '09. I'd wait until they started offering certificates good into '10.

calgarygary

TUG Member
Reaction score
I understand.

Don't worry - not knocking Calgary - I did a year at SAIT back in the dark ages!!!! Whaddya think of Sundin in Vancouver?

'GREED IS GOOD'

It's on the list of movies top 100 lines of all time

(for double points who said that and in what movie?)

Too easy - I'll just use initials for those that still want to play - MD in WS

Sundin will probably have as much impact in Vancouver as he did with the Leafs/Habs. He just wanted an easy way into the playoffs. The truely elite players are able to elevate the games of those around him - he doesn't exactly have a history of that.

shmuggee

Reaction score
Too easy - I'll just use initials for those that still want to play - MD in WS

Sundin will probably have as much impact in Vancouver as he did with the Leafs/Habs. He just wanted an easy way into the playoffs. The truely elite players are able to elevate the games of those around him - he doesn't exactly have a history of that.

Sundin...Habs? Ohhhhhhh...I see - one team in Quebec is the same as all teams in Quebec, right???? :D

If memory serves he was drafted by the Nords...then went to the Leafs for Wendy C...no? (there were a few other players - but that was the gist of the trade)

Agree - he's getting old and chasing a cup.

shmuggee

Reaction score
Nords

Can you imagine the squad they would have had if he had stayed? Sundin, Sakic and the Lindros trade (which got Forsberg and a bunch of others)...how ya like me know???!!! I'm suprised Sundin didn't try to get on with the Red Wings - looking at their content, no? Better chance for a cup there...