• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Sugguestions for 2 week Nov/Dec trip on pts

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
so I posted the following in another thread and wanted to take this offline...Quote:
Originally Posted by winger
How is Paris in November or December in terms of things to do? From weather.com it looks coooold ! but we too are thinking maybe we should just 'blow' some pts and go there in Dec when the kids (5 and 7 yo) are off school.

How easy is it to get flights there (we need 4 tickets - coach is fine although business class would be awesome but too many points needed)? Any suggestions for a 2nd week (to get if we were to do a stop over to Paris) ? Maybe week 1 in London (Marriott Hotel County Hall ) and week 2 in Paris (Marriott Hotel Champs-Elysse

----and I get the following response (thanks M16376) ----

"Especially with younger children, I think I'd hold off on such a trip at that time of year. For me, at least, the best way to enjoy those cities is to walk them, and if the weather is really cold, that may not be so easy.... "

so, any input on a 2 week trip (Thanksgiving + first week in December) destination/trip for the four of us (mom, dad, almost 8yo, and 6 yo) ? we have about 40k FF each to spare (just right for coach to Europe).

LAX Mom

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've taken my sons to Europe many times, starting when they were quite young. However, it can be cold and most European cities are best when walking & using public transportation to destinations. I remember one trip to Amsterdam in April with my youngest and it was much colder than I expected. His coat wasn't warm enough and the wind was a problem.

I've been to London once in January and it wasn't too bad for my sister & I, but probably too cold for children the ages of yours. A couple of years ago we visited Paris with another couple and hit a cold spell with snow a couple of days.

You know your kids and how well they tolerate cold weather. Do you live in a cold climate? If they're used to warm weather they might hate Paris/London in December. If you bundle them up would they be okay with lots of outdoor walking and cold weather?

One last thought....it would be fun to visit both cities in December and see the Christmas decorations.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
i forgot to add...dw wants to look into 2 weeks in hawaii (jw in ko olina or waileia in maui) ... just some more thoughts to throw out there for input.

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
There's a reason for the 'April in Paris' song ... I love Paris in the Springtime, etc. as they do have a winter in most of Europe ... and often a horridly hot summer. My next Paris trip is late September09. I was there one year the first week of Nov and it was jacket weather. Still...it's Paris.

If you're going late in the year, maybe it's a good time to see Rio?

Brian

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
There's a reason for the 'April in Paris' song ... I love Paris in the Springtime, etc. as they do have a winter in most of Europe ... and often a horridly hot summer. My next Paris trip is late September09. I was there one year the first week of Nov and it was jacket weather. Still...it's Paris.

If you're going late in the year, maybe it's a good time to see Rio?

Brian

Rio? as in Brazil?

unfortunately, april 2010 is too late to book a travel package under the new points structure : (

yes paris and london are still paris and london (thanksgiving week thru 1st week of Dec)

sun starved Gayle

TUG Member
Reaction score
With kids your age, the long flight, the time difference, and the weak $$$, I would vote for Hawaii and save Europe for when they are older and could appreciate it better. Two weeks in Hawaii in the winter? Bliss!

JMHO

Latravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have young kids and I haven't taken them to Europe in the winter, though it's a tempting thought because of school vacations. I just don't think they would enjoy it - the cold and long walks in the rain/snow.

In the winter, we usually go skiing at Timber Lodge or a beach destination. Unlike Europe, winter is high season in the Caribbean, Mexico and Hawaii. Why not go there? The kids would enjoy it much more. I can recommend St. Thomas (one of the most memorable trips for my sons) and Hawaii in your timeframe.

lll1929

TUG Member
Reaction score
In the winter, we usually go skiing at Timber Lodge or a beach destination. Unlike Europe, winter is high season in the Caribbean, Mexico and Hawaii. Why not go there? The kids would enjoy it much more. I can recommend St. Thomas (one of the most memorable trips for my sons) and Hawaii in your timeframe.

I was thinking a beach destination would be more enjoyable for 5 and 7 yo.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since we have never been on a vacation away from our kids, and we got a very generous offer to have them looked after during the Thanksgiving week, DW and I are planning 8 nights/9 days in Paris !!!