• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Exchanging into 4 Marriott resorts in Feb

Bernie8245

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just exchanged into 3 Marriott resorts in Hilton Head, (Barony Beach, Grande Ocean, and Surf Watch) and Ocean Watch in Myrtle Beach. All of them are Sunday checkins starting Feb 1. From reading other posts, I realize I am last in the pecking order for any specific unit requests as an exchanger. On my II confirmations Barony Beach shows Unit HTOGA, Surf Watch shows Unit DBBV, Grande Ocean shows Unit HOCES, and Ocean Watch shows Unit TBOF. Can anyone tell me what these codes mean? Can the building be determined from these codes? Also will I definitely get the unit on the exchange confirmation and would it do any good to request specific views or buildings? I'm sure I'll be happy no matter where I'm at in all the resorts but I would like to have an ocean view for at least one of the weeks. It will be my first time exchanging into a Marriott. I'm looking forward to it.
Bernie

andrea t

TUG Member
Reaction score
What a great way to spend February!! You should definitely put in requests at all resorts. Not everyone trading in does, so you would have a better chance at the better locations.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just exchanged into 3 Marriott resorts in Hilton Head, (Barony Beach, Grande Ocean, and Surf Watch) and Ocean Watch in Myrtle Beach. All of them are Sunday checkins starting Feb 1. From reading other posts, I realize I am last in the pecking order for any specific unit requests as an exchanger. On my II confirmations Barony Beach shows Unit HTOGA, Surf Watch shows Unit DBBV, Grande Ocean shows Unit HOCES, and Ocean Watch shows Unit TBOF. Can anyone tell me what these codes mean? Can the building be determined from these codes? Also will I definitely get the unit on the exchange confirmation and would it do any good to request specific views or buildings? I'm sure I'll be happy no matter where I'm at in all the resorts but I would like to have an ocean view for at least one of the weeks. It will be my first time exchanging into a Marriott. I'm looking forward to it.
Bernie
While the logic may break down for the slower times, Marriott normally gives exchangers the unit type deposited with II. You can nornally determine that from the regular Marriott site (marriott.com) using the last name and Marriott reservation #. It may take a few weeks to show up on the site after the exchange. Some resorts will give you a better unit if they're slow, others tend not to. I'd determine which unit type if possible then ask for the best unit available. If any are GV, I'd request ocean view and play ignorant on the GV issue not even mentioning it. My daughter got 5th floor OF for Maui in 2007 after I warned her not to get upset if she got a parking lot view.

1sland

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bernie

If you take the confirmation number from your Interval Exchange (found on the PDF file that they email you) '8XXXXXXX' , log into your account on marriott.com and put this number into the reservation number with you last name, you will most likely see what view type you have reserved.

cgsm

Reaction score
If you take the confirmation number from your Interval Exchange (found on the PDF file that they email you) '8XXXXXXX' , log into your account on marriott.com and put this number into the reservation number with you last name, you will most likely see what view type you have reserved.

Just a word of warning, I don't know if they always follow those. I stayed at Ocean Watch in November, and when I put in the 8XXXXXX number it came up as Oceanfront. When we stayed, we were in Oceanside. It was totally fine with us, but just an fyi, that the reservation number trick did not work for us.

1sland

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just a word of warning, I don't know if they always follow those. I stayed at Ocean Watch in November, and when I put in the 8XXXXXX number it came up as Oceanfront. When we stayed, we were in Oceanside. It was totally fine with us, but just an fyi, that the reservation number trick did not work for us.

It had been our experience that you get exactly what was deposited.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
Be Sure to Sign up for Marriott Rewards

Bernie

If you are not already - be sure to sign up for Marriott Rewards. Then use the advice above to link your Rewards # to your reservations. That way at the end of your trips you will be a Silver Elite member with Marriott Rewards. You only need to make sure that you have a room charge (parking, shop, bar) during your stay.

Not that it will get you a whole lot - but in todays environment every little bit helps.

Bernie8245

TUG Member
Reaction score

I tried doing this but my confirmation numbers from my Interval Exchange all start with a zero and have 9 digits total and I tried entering with and without the zero and it says the confirmation number is not valid. I am exchanging a non Marriott resort if that makes a difference. It may be too soon to show up since I just did the exchanges Jan 1.
Thanks,
Bernie

Bernie8245

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bernie

If you are not already - be sure to sign up for Marriott Rewards. Then use the advice above to link your Rewards # to your reservations. That way at the end of your trips you will be a Silver Elite member with Marriott Rewards. You only need to make sure that you have a room charge (parking, shop, bar) during your stay.

Not that it will get you a whole lot - but in todays environment every little bit helps.

Thanks for the tip. I went ahead and signed up for Marriott Rewards. Like you said every little bit helps.
Bernie

rsnash

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am exchanging a non Marriott resort if that makes a difference.
Yes, it makes a difference. You will not receive a Marriott reservation number for a non-Marriott resort, nor can you receive credit for staying at a Marriott if you are not staying at a Marriott, even if you used a Marriott to trade for the non-Marriott.

Edit: I reread this... Oops. You are exchanging a non-Marriott for a Marriott? Then you should get a Marriott reservation number. But, it won't be in the text of the email confirmation. It will be on the actual mailed (or emailed pdf file) certificate.

1sland

TUG Member
Reaction score
I tried doing this but my confirmation numbers from my Interval Exchange all start with a zero and have 9 digits total and I tried entering with and without the zero and it says the confirmation number is not valid. I am exchanging a non Marriott resort if that makes a difference. It may be too soon to show up since I just did the exchanges Jan 1.
Thanks,
Bernie

Make sure you are getting the number from the PDF file they email you and not from the interval website.

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks,
Bernie

On your confirmation certificate from II, your Marriott reservation number is shown directly below the resort name & address (last line says reservation number) 8xxxxxxx. Hope this helps.

Bernie8245

TUG Member
Reaction score

I did this and this is what it shows I have reserved:
Barony Beach - Gardenview
SurfWatch - Ocean Vista
Grand Ocean - Courtyard view
Ocean Watch - Ocean Front
It looks like I might have an ocean view at 2 of the resorts. I'd be happy with that.
I'd like to thank everyone for their help. We'll be leaving in 3 weeks:cheer:
Bernie