• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Maui Ocean Club week 52 [MERGED]

cculley2

Reaction score
[You have 3 different threads going on the same purchase, so I am going to merge the threads for continuity. If you have more questions, please post them in the same thread.-DeniseM Moderator]

Hello,
I have the opportunity to buy Marriott ocean club - week 52-- at a really good price. Does anyone know what the estimated floor price is that Marriott will exercise their ROFR for this week?
It's a 2BR Ocean Front unit -- not the full kitchens.

thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

FlyerBobcat

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I have the opportunity to buy Marriott ocean club - week 52-- at a really good price. Does anyone know what the estimated floor price is that Marriott will exercise their ROFR for this week?
thanks.

Oh Boy... With all the recent looooooong ROFR threads, this could get interesting. :D

But I'll start off with a couple basics. Marriott - IN GENERAL -- has NOT been exercising ROFR lately, but there has been a few reported exceptions to that. In addition, it likely depends if Marriott has a buyer lined up, and their need for inventory.

There is not a magic formula, and numbers can vary from week to week.

Also on this board you will see others state to NOT base your offer price on ROFR estimation. But in your case, it sounds like you might have something different than a standard buyer/seller situation.

Also, for some reference information, you can check: http://dioxide45.tripod.com/rofr.html
although I suspect that relatively few sales (compared to ALL sales) are posted here.

Last edited:

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
#1 There is no floor. Sometimes Marriott exercises ROFR and sometimes it doesn't - at the same price.

#2 Currently, Marriott is rarely exercising ROFR, presumably because of the poor economy and the announced slowdown in its timeshare sales.

#3 If you consider ROFR in your offer, it's a sure bet that you'll pay too much. Use your best timeshare negotiation skills to get the best deal possible. In the unlikely event that Marriott exercises ROFR, move on to the next deal.

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
As a warning, with my moderator hat on, this is not a thread to discuss the merits of ROFR. There are other threads for that.

larue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello,
It's a 2BR Ocean Front unit -- not the full kitchens.

thanks.

If you already have the price set, go for it. There is no better chance of passing ROFR than right now. I have a friend who recently passed ROFR on an oceanfront unit at the Marriott Ocean Club (floating week) at $17,000.

FlyerBobcat

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Another view....

An interesting "what if" ?

But what is the "buyer" to do if the "seller" is your favorite uncle and he says he'll sell it to you for $1000 ????? How would you work that????? :shrug:

larue

TUG Member
Reaction score
An interesting "what if" ?

But what is the "buyer" to do if the "seller" is your favorite uncle and he says he'll sell it to you for $1000 ????? How would you work that????? :shrug:

Buy it for $25,000 and have uncle gift $12,000 to you and another $12,000 to your spouse during the year under IRS rules.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
If you already have the price set, go for it. There is no better chance of passing ROFR than right now. I have a friend who recently passed ROFR on an oceanfront unit at the Marriott Ocean Club (floating week) at $17,000.

Nice deal for your friend!

As others have posted, don't raise your offering because you are afraid of ROFR. Negotiate your best price and hope for the best. Today the likelihood is it will go through; many here have recently bought at great buys that likely would have been nabbed only a few months ago.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

cculley2

Reaction score
Thanks all. One last question -- if Marriott tries to purchase through ROFR, will i have a chance to counter? -- Or is the deal done between Marriott and the seller at that point?

taffy19

Reaction score
Buy it for $25,000 and have uncle gift $12,000 to you and another $12,000 to your spouse during the year under IRS rules.
What a great idea! It should definitely pass Marriott's ROFR and Uncle Sam's IRS rule too and you will like the resort and certainly the location. :)

cculley2

Reaction score
Experience exchanging Maui marriott week 52

Hello,
I'm about to move forward on a deal to purchase a resale of a 2BR Oceanfront week 52 at the Maui marriott and have heard that this week has very strong exchange benefits. I've been told I can probably get two 1BR weeks in other places (mexico, europe, etc) for the one 2BR week 52 in Maui. Is this the case and does anyone have any experience with this? Also, we may occassionally go to maui during their low season (between spring break and summer) and I'm wondering if anyone has exchanged a platinum plus Maui Marriot timeshare for 2 weeks at the same resort during this low season?

thanks,
Carrie

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Many people think that a week like that is too expensive to be a good trader. Why?

Well for one thing, you can buy much less expensive weeks that are good traders and will get bonus weeks - in other words, it's over-kill for a good exchanger. It's like exchanging your Mercedes for 2 Fords.

For another thing, maintenance fees in Hawaii are too high for them to be cost-effective exchangers.

3rdly, most available exchanges will be trading down - they will not have the value of a Marriott week 52 on Maui. They won't be equal in location, demand, or quality. Even though you deposit week 52, it would be rare for you to get week 52 at an equivalent resort, because people just don't deposit them.

I would only buy week 52 on Maui if I wanted to use it at least every other year, and I would rent it the years I didn't use it. Then I would take the rental money, and rent exactly what I wanted. I wouldn't exchange it. You will only lose value by exchanging it.

BTW - I own a 2 bdm. at an equivalent resort on Maui and I rent it for $3,500 and it's a floating week - you should be able to do better than that with week 52. Good luck!

I hope you are buying resale? If not, PLEASE don't go through with this purchase until you investigate resales.

Last edited:

FlyerBobcat

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks all. One last question -- if Marriott tries to purchase through ROFR, will i have a chance to counter? -- Or is the deal done between Marriott and the seller at that point?

No chance to counter. You just move on to a next seller, and hopefully offer the same (or less) -- and Marriott doesn't want another unit this time. :D

Last edited:

eal

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
With a week like that, renting it when you aren't using it is a MUCH better option than exchanging.

Bill4728

Reaction score
I've been told I can probably get two 1BR weeks in other places (mexico, europe, etc) for the one 2BR week 52 in Maui. Is this the case and does anyone have any experience with this? Also, we may occassionally go to maui during their low season (between spring break and summer) and I'm wondering if anyone has exchanged a platinum plus Maui Marriot timeshare for 2 weeks at the same resort during this low season?

thanks,
Carrie
If you have a 2 bd unit which "locks-off" to a 1 bd & a studio unit, you can deposit both the studio & the 1 bd and get 2 trades for the week you own. So yes it could be possible to trade your 2 bd and get 2 weeks of TS at the same resort. BUT II has a policy of trading "like for like" so they may give you a 2 bd unit for your 1 bd deposit but it unlikely that you'd get a 2 bd unit for your studio deposit. Also most owners at the maui Marriott lock-off so there are very few 2 bd exchanges available.

IMHO, unless you want to go to Hawaii every New Years, you'll have great trading power with a regular plat maui week. And save a lot of money buying it over a week 52 unit.

cculley2

Reaction score
Maui Marriott - week 52 - is this a good price?

I' ve got an opportunity to get a resale for 53K of a 2BR Ocean Front week 52 at maui marriott. I think this is a good price -- can someone confirm for me? They appear to be listing around 59/60K but there are very few comps to assess against. It's in the old buildings (not the new full kitchen villas).

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
In my humble opinion, there are NO Marriotts worth that much in today's economy. Keep shopping. You'll find a better deal.

Terry

FlyerBobcat

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
In a recent thread you asked about exchanging a Maui Marriott week 52. That seems like a pretty price to be thinking about an exchange using that week... :shrug:

ondeadlin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Let's say it cost you $3,000 a year to rent the week. After 10 years renting, you've paid $30,000.

If you bought, you'd have paid at least $15,000 in MF, plus lost the interest on that $52K, plus there's no guarantee it won't lose value.

Only a good buy if you must have this week and money means very little to you.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Renting a week 52 2BDRM OF is much more than $3000, probably more like $3800-$4200 (I know someone who gets close to that for a 2BDRM OV Pres week, so OF and New Years should be even higher) But your ROI, in my mind is still lengthy at approx 27 years.

However if you can split the week into 2 and either use 2 weeks or rent/use the 2 weeks, you can really reduce your ROI significantly and make ownership of a week 52 Maui Marriott a sound investment. This is the only way buying such an expensive TS make sense, IMHO.

I'm sure this scenerio I possible. Trade a OF New Year studio for a Christmas week 1BDRM and use back to back with the 1BDRM OF New Year week you own. Renting a 1BDRM over xmas and NYear would easily cost over $5000 and your out of pocket would be MF plus trading costs. In this model your ROI is approx 10 years, which to me is an agreeable ROI

Last edited:

cculley2

Reaction score
Yes, we have done extensive math on this and the ROI is approximately 10 years -- assuming we stay at the Maui Marriott most years, or pay an equivelant at another resort. We actually are renting right now (week 52) and paid 5900/week and the cheapest I've seen is 700/day and that was an exceptionally good price relative to other rental listings. That all said, I think we are going to hold off since the economy is questionable right now and I have no clue what it will due to timeshare values. The feedback on teh site has been really valuable and I really appreciate the number of responses and how fast they are.

taffy19

Reaction score
Many people think that a week like that is too expensive to be a good trader. Why?

Well for one thing, you can buy much less expensive weeks that are good traders and will get bonus weeks - in other words, it's over-kill for a good exchanger. It's like exchanging your Mercedes for 2 Fords.

For another thing, maintenance fees in Hawaii are too high for them to be cost-effective exchangers.

3rdly, most available exchanges will be trading down - they will not have the value of a Marriott week 52 on Maui. They won't be equal in location, demand, or quality. Even though you deposit week 52, it would be rare for you to get week 52 at an equivalent resort, because people just don't deposit them.

I would only buy week 52 on Maui if I wanted to use it at least every other year, and I would rent it the years I didn't use it. Then I would take the rental money, and rent exactly what I wanted. I wouldn't exchange it. You will only lose value by exchanging it.

BTW - I own a 2 bdm. at an equivalent resort on Maui and I rent it for $3,500 and it's a floating week - you should be able to do better than that with week 52. Good luck!

I hope you are buying resale? If not, PLEASE don't go through with this purchase until you investigate resales.
Carrie is buying a resale but she didn't say if it is a resale through the Marriott or from a private party.

I agree with you 100% on everything else you posted. Only buy it if she really wants to use it herself most of the time and try to rent it out when she doesn't want to go and use the money for anywhere else or do a direct exchange with a TUGger for the same date or a holiday week at another Marriott or any other resort she may like to visit. Cash is king and certainly today!

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd wait unless you're very wealthy. I wouldn't spend that kind of money on a timeshare in this economy - not just because of what could happen to our jobs and accounts, but because the maintenance fees could rise much more quickly than inflation (read the thread about what's going on at Marriott's Aruba Ocean Club right now). That could happen anywhere.

lweverett

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you really want this and can easily afford it - I say go for it. Ten years ago ocean front week 52 penthouses at the Royal Sands were approaching $100,000.00 and they must have sold out or would not be building the one in Playa del Carman. And its an RTU.