• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Travel Package: Do They Charge Taxes For The Free Week?

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I'm staying on my first "free week" certificate that I got with a Marriott Travel Package. I notice on the TV Bill that they are running up $60 per day in "room taxes" and the like. So, my basic charge for the "free week" will be $420.

I was just wondering, since I never got a physical certificate with the terms, are they supposed to charge taxes when you use it, or is everything supposed to be covered by the certificate.

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
There is no single answer to your question. Whether tax applies depends on the hotel. Generally, taxes are included in the Reward and you don't have to pay them. However, there are exceptions. To find out, pretend to reserve a 7-night Reward online at your preferred hotel. When you get to the screen that has the "Reserve a Room" button, click on the "Reward Rules" link to see whether all taxes are included or whether some taxes (such as in Paris) are extra.

One other possible situation: Thanks to the poor economy, many states and countries are in the process of instituting/increasing occupancy taxes. So it's possible that what you see online could chance by the time of your stay.

LAX Mom

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
$60 per day in room taxes? Wow, where are you staying?

edited to add: In most points reservations I've made, the taxes are included. However, if you are out of the country it could be a different story.

Let us know what you find out. I plan on using lots of my Marriott points (Euro hoppers) in 2009. I've ordered two Euro Hopper certificates (good for 14 nights) and also have a 7 night stay from a travel package to use in 2009.

Last edited:

Latravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow Lisa, you're going to be taking some great vacations next year! Let us know what you plan so we get some ideas.

I never heard about room taxes and the Vacation Advisor never told me about any when I reserved for Italy. Maybe it's for a select few hotels?

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
...When you get to the screen that has the "Reserve a Room" button, click on the "Reward Rules" link to see whether all taxes are included or whether some taxes (such as in Paris) are extra.

It used to be that you could reserve a room without them taking the points from your account automatically - you could check that you already had the certificate - but it appears that it's all automatically deducted now. I remember when they made that change but thought they had changed it back to the former system. Now, it appears you can't make points reservations without first having them in the account.

Don't remember if I paid taxes or not on my European hotels ... if I did it must have been an insignificant amount compared to what it would have cost by paying cash. I just booked a new JW Marriott north of Toronto for 2 stays on points and one on cash ... the 'cash' one showed that taxes and resort fee were extra, but the points bookings showed neither of these were payable. Hmmm

Also noted that on each points stay that the TV account shows two names ... both mine: One shows what I have to pay for room service, spa, etc., and the other wouldn't show me anything - the front desk told me once that is 'their' account for what they get paid from Marriott for my stay on MR.

Brian

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Now, it appears you can't make points reservations without first having them in the account.
Yes, you still can, but you have to call Marriott to do it. If you don't have enough points for the Reward within about two weeks of your check-in date, the reservation will be canceled.

Latravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
I reserved all my hotels in Italy without taking the points out of my account automatically but I did it by phone, just as Dave stated. If I did it online, it appears the only option would be to have the points deducted automatically from my account, which I didn't want.

I like having the flexibility to make and change hotel reservations without having to mess with crediting points to my account. When my plans are completely finalized (when the Grand Flora opens up), i'll attach the European hoppers I purchased yesterday to my reservation.

KathyPet

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have used rewards all over the world and have never been charged tax even in NYC home of every tax known to mankind.

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
To find out, pretend to reserve a 7-night Reward online at your preferred hotel. When you get to the screen that has the "Reserve a Room" button, click on the "Reward Rules" link to see whether all taxes are included or whether some taxes (such as in Paris) are extra.

I tried it, but the Reward Rules say nothing about taxes one way or the other. It's the Marriott-New Orleans Convention Center.

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
We had to pay taxes on a free week at the Ritz Carlton in Laguna Nigel where we used Marriott points. Substantial amount $400.00 for the week's room taxes. Imagine what the rack rate of the rooom would have been! This was about five years ago.

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I checked out yesterday and they did not charge the taxes, so I was happy.

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
I tried it, but the Reward Rules say nothing about taxes one way or the other. It's the Marriott-New Orleans Convention Center.

Hoc ... usually when you book online (before confirming) you'll see a breakout of cost, taxes, resort fees, etc. when paying 'cash' ... items that I've never seen when using MR points. I assume that is because the charges don't exist when using points.

Brian