• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[September Thread] Help, I have the Vundo trojan that can not be cleaned

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
from my McAfee VirusScan

The file C:\WINDOWS\system32\_c00953F0.dat is infected by the Vundo trojan and cannot be cleaned.

What to do??? :shrug:

It seems to be suddenly closing all my internet explorer windows....not affecting Microsoft Outlook Mail program

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Stop using IE and many problems end

from my McAfee VirusScan

The file C:\WINDOWS\system32\_c00953F0.dat is infected by the Vundo trojan and cannot be cleaned.

What to do??? :shrug:

It seems to be suddenly closing all my internet explorer windows....not affecting Microsoft Outlook Mail program

First stop using Internet Exploder - thats half your overall problem. Then use VundoFix.exe from Atribune.org to remove Vundo. Try Firefox or Chrome to replace IE and be far safer and secure. Do NOT remove IE as you need it for Windows updates (but don't use it for anything else).

Good luck.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
First stop using Internet Exploder - thats half your overall problem. Then use VundoFix.exe from Atribune.org to remove Vundo. Try Firefox or Chrome to replace IE and be far safer and secure. Do NOT remove IE as you need it for Windows updates (but don't use it for anything else).

Good luck.

Thanks John,
I ran McAfee twice - first time it found 3 of these - 2 were removed and one I had to restart the computer to get rid of it - which I did - second time it detected one vundo which it deleted - so I restarted and I am running it a third time....

Will try your suggestion next if it is still detecting vundo after this third try.

rcs249

TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn't know about Vundofix.exe when this happened to me last month, but I downloaded Google's Spyware Doctor from the Google Pack and it took care of it.

Good luck.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The third scan was the charm - I am now Vundo free ....thanks :hi:

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got this Vundo thing also

I have tried several fixes no luck. Will let you know how Spydoctor works!!!:mad:

Mosca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Google "vundofix".

If that doesn't work try superantispyware.

debraxh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Google "vundofix".

If that doesn't work try superantispyware.

Also Malwarebytes anti-malware. The combination of these two (both free) finally ridded me of a similar virus. I downloaded them from a different computer, copied them to a memory stick, then ran them on the infected machine. I also disabled system restore. Once the scans showed clean, I updated the definitions for both programs and completed re-scans. After rebooting and rescanning to be sure all infections were gone, I re-enabled system restore.

Good luck!

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am afraid to say this

But I may have finally managed to eradicate this Vundo virus from my PC.

I am going to wait a few days before I make my final judgement.

I will let you all know what finally did it.

This is a very persistent little virus. If this latest fix does not work I am going reformat my drive and reinstall the OS.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score

Good luck.

Funny thing is I primarily user Firefox. Vundo was starting IE and spoofing a version of a Rougue Anitvirus 2008 Malware.

It was very slick and convincing but I did not take the bait, cause I know my firewall, and Symantec Anitvirus behavior. Everytime I would try to cancel, hit the X to close, another window would pop up. Really nasty.

Unfortunately there are some sites and functions that don't always work with firefox. So you need to keep Internet Exploder around and dormant most of the time.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score

Cruiser Too

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also Malwarebytes anti-malware. The combination of these two (both free) finally ridded me of a similar virus......

Question:

I heard that having more than ONE anti-virus/anti-spyware "active" will/may cause problems.

Any truth to the above ???

Thanks !!!

debraxh

TUG Member
Reaction score
I ran manual scans by each program, one at a time, and didn't have any problems. They don't run continually so shouldn't interfere with other software.