• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Priceline Car Rental

NJDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is auto insuance that is generally provided by the credit card companies also provided when the rental is through Priceline?

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
That's a question for your card issuer.

I had the same question as AMEX charges me after I return the car at the end of the rental. This last rental was with Avis through Priceline and I was charged for the insurance...but I also purchased a tank of gas from Avis apart from the Priceline bid, so AMEX's system had an Avis charge to go by.

At the end of the day you should ask the issuer...and then report back for the rest of us. :)

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
My experience with the American Express Program is this:

1) If you prepay the gas, it will go through the system normally. Amex will know you rented the car and bill you for the coverage

2) If you don't prepay the gas, you should call Amex @ (800) 338-1670 before you leave with the car; tell them that you have a Priceline rental and want to be covered; give them the information they ask for; ask for and record the Amex Employee's ID number and time you talked to her. The billing will be manually processed and be billed within 10 days.

I have done it both ways, and both worked for me

George

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Is auto insuance that is generally provided by the credit card companies also provided when the rental is through Priceline?
Why not call the 800 number for your credit card company? Wouldn't that be a much more reliable answer than the answer you get from some stranger on the internet?

Anyway, the credit card company for this internet stranger says there's no difference if the car is rented through Priceline, Orbitz, a travel agent, or the car rental company. As long as the rental is on the credit card coverage is provided.

Of course, in case you have an accident in a rental car, the answer I just gave you is totally worthless. But the answer you get by calling the rental car company might be actually be worth something.

NJDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why not call the 800 number for your credit card company? Wouldn't that be a much more reliable answer than the answer you get from some stranger on the internet?

Anyway, the credit card company for this internet stranger says there's no difference if the car is rented through Priceline, Orbitz, a travel agent, or the car rental company. As long as the rental is on the credit card coverage is provided.

Thanks for the advice.

I actually don't consider TUG to be a bunch of strangers on the internet since I have been around the boards for about 7 years now :) . I often find the advice here to be better than the advice I get from calling directly (e.g. from Interval or RCI). I will call the credit card company but will have the experience of Tuggers when I call.

NJDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's a question for your card issuer.

I had the same question as AMEX charges me after I return the car at the end of the rental. This last rental was with Avis through Priceline and I was charged for the insurance...but I also purchased a tank of gas from Avis apart from the Priceline bid, so AMEX's system had an Avis charge to go by.

At the end of the day you should ask the issuer...and then report back for the rest of us. :)

Amex indicated that the coverage would pertain. The gas purchase sounds like a good idea. Thanks