• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Junk E-Mail Question

silvib

TUG Member
Reaction score
Firstly, hope everyone had a good Christmas. We are experiencing a high level of e-mails that look as if they're coming from ourselves. We have 2 identities on our computers and they're both receiving them. Our virus scan runs daily, AVG, and I also run Ad-Aware, yet they're still coming in. The e-mails cover all different topics from general sales to non-mentionable things. Has anyone else experienced this and, if so, how did you get rid of them? This has happened before several months' ago and I don't remember what we did (if anything) and they've started up again. Thanks in advance. Sylvia

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Firstly, hope everyone had a good Christmas. We are experiencing a high level of e-mails that look as if they're coming from ourselves. We have 2 identities on our computers and they're both receiving them. Our virus scan runs daily, AVG, and I also run Ad-Aware, yet they're still coming in. The e-mails cover all different topics from general sales to non-mentionable things. Has anyone else experienced this and, if so, how did you get rid of them? This has happened before several months' ago and I don't remember what we did (if anything) and they've started up again. Thanks in advance. Sylvia

What is happening is the spammer is spoofing the from address on the e-mail. They can put anything in there. The e-mails are likely not being sent by you. Others receiving the same spam think it is coming from them too.

nana7

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have also been recieving e mails from myself!!!:wall: Yesterday I recieved an e card from someone...it was a virus. Have spent HOURS getting rid of it.
So DON'T OPEN ANY OF THATJUNK!! I also have AVG and it has done a good job.

silvib

TUG Member
Reaction score
Makes me feel better we're not alone in this. Pity people don't have better things to do with their time, don't you think?

TomCayman

TUG Member
Reaction score
This particular kind of spoofing is a major problem the last few weeks, as not only do you get emails that look as though they are from yourself, the subject lines also look credible, eg "mail delivery failure" etc

Waiting for McAfee / Norton to get a fix on it is taking some time... meanwhile just have to delete all this spam

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
Most spam is sent out with false "from" addresses. These address can be obtained by using a list of acquired email addresses, or it could be the result of a virus on somebody's system that sends messages out with "from" addresses found in the infected system's addressbook. Either way, this is called "spoofing" the email address.

Lots of the crap I'm getting these days appear to both be "from" and "to" my email address.

While it is possible that you have a virus that is sending out the mail you're asking about, it is much more likely that that mail had its origin somewhere other than on your system. (If it actually had come from your system due to a virus, it probably would have used some address other than yours, found in your addressbook, to make its origin harder to trace.)

When one of those bogus emails gets sent to an invalid address, the server at the other end bounces it back to what the message indicates was the sender -- in this case you -- even though that person really had nothing to do with the original message.

There's nothing you can do about it. Just delete those returned messages and don't worry about them. DO NOT open any attachments.

But... DO make sure you have a good antivirus program, keep it up to date, and scan your system just to be sure you're "clean".

The server at my mail service does a great job of identifying spam mail and marking it as such, as well as catching and cleaning infected messages. Also, I use Mozilla Thunderbird as my email client, and it catches the few spam messages my server doesn't. Plus I scan all incoming mail with AVG and it catches an occasional infection that got thru my server unscathed. In addition, my Thunderbird will not execute any attachments unless I tell it to -- which I do NOT unless I've made sure it is clean first.