• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Rewards Dead Line Question

Cruiser Too

TUG Member
Reaction score
I briefly combed the threads about the impending MAJOR changes to the Rewards program.
I believe the changes takes affect on January 15th 2009.

Gone will be the "World Trip" :mad:
(7-Days Marriott Hotel certificate, x number of miles deposited into FF Mileage Accts & Hertz Rental Discount)

And it will cost a LOT more rewards points to duplicate the package.

Black out dates are being eliminated.

That's the sum total of my knowledge about this change.

My Questions:
There are 7? categories of Marriott Hotels.
When I request my World Package, do I have to specify which category of hotel I want and will the number of points required, be based on the level I choose ?

How long before the hotel certificate expires ?

What are my options if I'm not able to get a hotel/time-frame I desire ?

We don't have any definite plans on WHERE we'd like to go... YET.
How soon should I start looking for available rooms ?

Thank You for assisting this senile senior :wave:

Doug

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Under the current program, there are 7 hotel categories. A new "Category 8" will be instituted on January 15, with some of the category 7 hotels moving up. However, if you order a Reward and make hotel reservations before January 15, the current points structure will apply. Thus, if you want to stay in a hotel that will become a Category 8 hotel, you can reserve it now at the Category 7 points level.

The cost in points for a hotel-air Travel Package will depend on what category hotel and how many frequent flyer miles you choose. See the "Hotel + Air" charts near the bottom of this linked page for the number of points required.

You should make your hotel reservation now and then order the Travel Package well before January 15. Expect the Marriott Rewards phone lines to be jammed during the last week or so before the 15th. Not much point in getting the Travel Package if you can't decide where and when to go or if you can’t get a reservation. When making the reservation, tell the agent that you will be using a 7-night certificate from an Air-Hotel Travel Package.

The hotel certificate expires one year after issuance. No extensions beyond January 14, 2010 are allowed for certificates issued under the current program. Any extension request must be made by January 14, 2009.

Not many options if you can't get a hotel you want. You can get a token refund for the hotel certificate if you can't use it, but the number of points is very small (e.g., 15,000 or so, depending on what category the certificate is for).

Also, blackout dates are not being entirely eliminated. Some hotels will still be able to restrict Reward stays. One of the challenges is that there will be many fewer blackout dates once January 15 comes, but it will then be too late to book a hotel under the current points structure!!

Cruiser Too

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank You Dave !!!

BTW:
Thanks for your reply to my post about the Norwegian Sun.
We booked a balcony cabin and LOVED it !

Having experienced a balcony cabin.... it's be difficult to settle for anything less.

Doug

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I know what you mean! Now that I'm retired, more of my cruise cabins will be inside. That's a big comedown from those great balconies! :(

Cruiser Too

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know what you mean! Now that I'm retired, more of my cruise cabins will be inside. That's a big comedown from those great balconies! :(

Don't know if you have any plans to cruise with NCL again but....

They offered a pretty good deal while on board.
A "Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposit Coupon" for $250
Book a future NCL cruise with anyone,
within one year and take up to 30 months to complete that cruise.

The $250 coupon will be your full deposit, per cabin, regardless of category of cabin !!!
And they give you a $100 ship board credit on the spot !!!
Thus for $150 ($75 each for my wife and I) our deposit is paid in full.

YES... we took them up of their offer :D

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Yes, I'll be on a two-week NCL cruise in the Mediterranean (Egypt, Greece, Turkey, Rome., Barcelona, etc.) in February. A two-week Australia/New Zealand cruise on Holland America precedes that in January. A two-week Caribbean cruise on Princess follows in late March. More cruises later in the year include (1) a two-week Holland America cruise to Russia and the Baltics in August, (2) a three-week Panama Canal Holland America cruise in September and (3) a one-week Royal Caribbean bridge tournament cruise in the Caribbean in December.

2009, my first full year of retirement, is my year for cruising. :)

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Wow, Dave, almost a quarter of the year will be spent on board, hitting practically every continent. Sounds like great trips; hope you have a terrific time!

By the time you're done, you'll be a veritable cruise line expert besides timeshare pro. In case you get bored with retirement, you can always become a travel agent :) .

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh Dave! You deserve balconies all your life. Have a great trip!

Cruiser Too

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I'll be on a two-week NCL cruise in the Mediterranean (Egypt, Greece, Turkey, Rome., Barcelona, etc.) in February. A two-week Australia/New Zealand cruise on Holland America precedes that in January. A two-week Caribbean cruise on Princess follows in late March. More cruises later in the year include (1) a two-week Holland America cruise to Russia and the Baltics in August, (2) a three-week Panama Canal Holland America cruise in September and (3) a one-week Royal Caribbean bridge tournament cruise in the Caribbean in December. 2009, my first full year of retirement, is my year for cruising. :)

I'm more jealous than impressed !!!
I retired in 1999 and haven't regretted a minute.